The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Advice for E-Entrepreneurs (Domains)

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Hello all!!

I was just wondering how much a domain name like stoned.com would go for. Someone in my neighborhood has it. To me he seems like he is not using it to it's full potential. Is this considered a premium name? How much would a name like that sell for? Thankyou in advance....... HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Kevin

I totally disagree that this name is garbage. On the contrary, I think its worth at least mid 5 figures and here is why: People that "get high" are considered a significant marketing demographic and you can pigeon hole them to be consumers of certain products and services. This name is a premium name that can serve to target that demographic -- much like someone mentioned "high times" etc.

The downside is it might challenging to get paying advertisers since they might not want to be affiliated with illegal drug use.

If I owned the name and didn't have development plans for it, I'd hang on to it -- its value can only increase.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Alan at SE

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Dec 15, 2007
It is amazing how many people have already jumped on the bandwagon. I downloaded a wordlist of 5000 'noun' words and every single domain was taken.

Now I am scanning 180,000 words. We will see whats is left. Keep in mind these are basic words you'd find in the english dictionary. This isn't even all of them :)

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
It is amazing how many people have already jumped on the bandwagon. I downloaded a wordlist of 5000 'noun' words and every single domain was taken.

Now I am scanning 180,000 words. We will see whats is left. Keep in mind these are basic words you'd find in the english dictionary. This isn't even all of them :)

I don't find it amazing at all with radio and tv ads touting business.com sold for $1M !!! You could be the next internet millionaire...

china

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Sep 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
AFAIK, With .Mobi policy's however, the owner MUST develope the site after 6 months of being purchased

Are you sure .mobi has to be developed in 6 months? Where would I go to find out if this is true or not?

Secondly, I have several .mobi names I bought in October. I KNOW NOTHING about developing a website -- pay for click or otherwise. How do you set them up? Or should I start another thread about this?

I just looked at two of the names and I think they might be easy to develop. One is "lafree.mobi" (for free things in Los Angeles) and the other is "nycfree.mobi" (for free things in New York City). I was thinking of free events when I registered the names.

For your real estate dudes, I also bought "larei.mobi" for when the LA Real estate market comes back. ;) I guess that is one I should park. (And I got "la4rei.com" too.)

bizboy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Dec 25, 2007
Florida
Are you sure .mobi has to be developed in 6 months? Where would I go to find out if this is true or not?

Secondly, I have several .mobi names I bought in October. I KNOW NOTHING about developing a website -- pay for click or otherwise. How do you set them up? Or should I start another thread about this?

I just looked at two of the names and I think they might be easy to develop. One is "lafree.mobi" (for free things in Los Angeles) and the other is "nycfree.mobi" (for free things in New York City). I was thinking of free events when I registered the names.

For your real estate dudes, I also bought "larei.mobi" for when the LA Real estate market comes back. ;) I guess that is one I should park. (And I got "la4rei.com" too.)

jagango.com make a free mobi site

camski

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Jul 24, 2007
Noblesville, IN
If this question has been asked and I missed it, I apologize, but I noticed that everyone has referred to domain names like real estate and the reselling of these has been mentioned many times here. But has anyone ever rented or "leased" their domain names to other people? They then still own the asset but yet make passive income without the typical hassles that traditional real estate comes with (insurance, taxes, maintenance). just wondering.

Jorge

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Oct 5, 2007
Mendoza, Argentina
Yes, thats called parking :p

Being serious, I have a friend that rents a domain at about $2k per month (its a premium domain name)

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Yes, thats called parking :p

Being serious, I have a friend that rents a domain at about $2k per month (its a premium domain name)

That is an intresting concept, leasing or renting TLD's. It seems like Domaining is really becoming RE 2.0.

bizboy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Dec 25, 2007
Florida
What do you guys think about .net names, seems to me that they are not that popular and all the big and popular sites are always .com, just seems everyone (users) likes to stick with the original .com even many oversees foreign companies use .com for their company domain name.

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
On Feb 1st 2008 the suffix .ASIA will be available. Now there's a great market! Imagine www.money.asia? Etc! Go to godaddy.com and start buying up the cyber real estate!!
Thanks for the heads-up. Can anybody else shed some more light on this? I did a quick search, and it looks like a lot of sites are taking preorders; how does that work?

Mr K

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Jan 14, 2008
They take preorders and their systems behind the scenes try to get those domains as soon as they can. If they can't they'll usually refund your money (check the fine print)

This is similar to the "Backordering" thing. For example I could go to GoDaddy.com and say, here I'll pay you $18, when www.thefaslanetomillions.com expires, grab it for me and badda bing, the second it hits the free market, GoDaddy try to buy it for me. (You can't do this with recognised brand names - well you can but you'll loose!)

Same with these new .asia domains - you can't go buy microsoft.asia and expect to make millions - you'll just end up with one hell of laywers bills.

I'd also add a note here: I see someone talking about domain renting/leasing. Be very careful, if some builds up a business around that domain, you may find they end up taking it through the courts. Here in NZ it is illegal to rent/lease domains.

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
They take preorders and their systems behind the scenes try to get those domains as soon as they can. If they can't they'll usually refund your money (check the fine print)

This is similar to the "Backordering" thing. For example I could go to GoDaddy.com and say, here I'll pay you $18, when www.thefaslanetomillions.com expires, grab it for me and badda bing, the second it hits the free market, GoDaddy try to buy it for me. (You can't do this with recognised brand names - well you can but you'll loose!)

Same with these new .asia domains - you can't go buy microsoft.asia and expect to make millions - you'll just end up with one hell of laywers bills.

I'd also add a note here: I see someone talking about domain renting/leasing. Be very careful, if some builds up a business around that domain, you may find they end up taking it through the courts. Here in NZ it is illegal to rent/lease domains.
Thanks for the response. I'd give you rep, but I have to wait since I just gave it to you in the other thread (oops...that came out wrong).

Does it go by who placed the order first? Would it pay to try for the popular generic names now? I'd assume there are plenty of people who've preordered them well before me...

Mr K

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Jan 14, 2008
If it didn't sound bad I'd say "I gave it to you too" .. but yeah ... :)

It wouldn't hurt to try. I'm not sure if it works on first come first served, or first off the block. It might even be a silent auction run between the registrars - I'll see if I can find that information ... but you might want to try a quick Google Search on "how does preordering a domain work" or "domains +backorders" or something like that

GoDaddy should have some good details on their site.

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
If it didn't sound bad I'd say "I gave it to you too" .. but yeah ... :)

It wouldn't hurt to try. I'm not sure if it works on first come first served, or first off the block. It might even be a silent auction run between the registrars - I'll see if I can find that information ... but you might want to try a quick Google Search on "how does preordering a domain work" or "domains +backorders" or something like that

GoDaddy should have some good details on their site.
Hahaha... :rofl: :3some:

I'd say that's an appropriate smiley.

Thanks for the advice. I'll check them out (another potential innuendo, but not as easy to work with or as dirty! :().

Luke12321

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jul 27, 2007
North Carolina
How is the .asia selling going to work? I tried to register some but it said I had to live within Asia. Will it be Feb.1st before I can try to register any?

On the topic of .asia domains...what is your take on it guys? Do you think they will end up being big? What kind of domains would you be willing to buy right now? Just type ins...one word. ex above money.asia?

Do you guys have a gameplan for trying to get certain names?

Just trying to get a feel of what everyone thinks abou this market.

Luke

PEERless

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jan 23, 2008
...DOT COM is the BoardWalk of top-level domain names. No matter how many .this and .that they invent, .COM will always command a premium price.

I love this comparison. I have been doing this for the past year, and the small (deductible) investment I have made appears to be well worth it. Even if I never pursue 9/10ths of my GREAT ideas:smxB:, I still stand to make some dough on them!

Mr K

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Jan 14, 2008
A note here:

GoDaddy are charging $19.99 + a non refundable $100 fee (this fee might be per order, not per domain)

You can't buy 888.asia or money.asia - already allocated
You can't buy any trademark - unless it was registered after the 6 Dec 2006 (meaning you might get away with buying facebook.asia - I think they got TradeMark in 07 but I might be wrong)

Mr K

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Jan 14, 2008
Oh .. and you or at least 1 person on the contact list needs to be in one of the following "asia" countries....

* Afghanistan, Antarctica, Armenia, Australia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, China, Christmas Island, Cocos (Keeling) Islands, Cook Islands, Cyprus, Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, Georgia, Heard and McDonald Islands, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Iraq, Iran, Israel, Japan, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kiribati, Korea, Democratic People's Republic of, Korea, Republic of, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Lebanon, Macau, Malaysia, Maldives, Marshall Islands, Mongolia, Myanmar, Nauru, Nepal, New Zealand, Niue, Norfolk Island, Oman, Pakistan, Palau, Palestinian Territories, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Solomon Islands, Sri Lanka, Syria, Taiwan, Tajikistan, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Tokelau, Tonga Islands, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, United Arab Emirates, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu, Vietnam, Western Samoa, Yemen.

I live in NZ so if anyone is serious about purchasing a .asia domain & need someone from one of these places, drop me a PM, and we'll talk about me being one of your contacts

Jorge

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Oct 5, 2007
Mendoza, Argentina

I don't know how can it be illegal. At least in here it isn't. My friend has a contract with them stating that the domain is his own and they only have the domain, not the content. My friend just points the dns to their hosting while they pay.

Its just like having a top location on a mall, you own the place, but rent to someone...

ramy98

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Sep 1, 2007
Florida
Hi guys,
picked up www. preciousmetalsboom dot com for a potential project and was wondering what you guys think of the domain.. I was told by others that the domain was bad but just wondering what you guys think.

thanks !

Ramy

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!