The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Admitting there's a problem is the first step.

IAmTheJeff

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Mar 5, 2014
Philadelphia, Pa
I'm taking some time off from the forum to focus more on my 2nd business, bro. I'm handing my primary one off to my dad as soon as everything is automated. Sales dropped from $2k a day to $200 a day at one point because I didn't do my due diligence, but the problem has been fixed and I'm slowly growing back to $2k a day. The whole journey will be discussed at C&B.

Okay I always say take action daily, but you have to be laser focused and execute smartly about it. Don't research every possible industry, that takes too much time. You need some filters so that you can quickly weed out the industries that you should avoid.

Pick lucrative industries that have lots of money flowing around. Preferably an industry that is growing, not contracting. Make sure that you can reach the business owners by phone. E-mail is not personal enough and it's very difficult to find pains unless you pick up the damn phone.

Don't worry about pre-selling right now. At the core it's very simple and all about building rapport, creating trust, and establishing credibility. If you actually get to the point of getting the guts to pick up the phone and talk to people to find the pain, I'll show you the process I'm currently using to pre-sell $20k among 10 people. It's sorta like a JackEdwards angle.

But yeah, don't worry about pre-selling. There's no point in knowing how to pre-sell if you don't have a pain in front of you to solve. You don't need to know the 99 steps ahead of you...you only need the first 2 steps. So pick an industry based on the filters that I just gave you then start calling them.

There is a good chance that someone will want equity partnership in your company simply because they gave you the idea. Politely decline. This is a sign that they are a rookie entrepreneur and have never experienced the real roller-coaster of emotions that being in business puts you through. When you take your first business to $100k, you will realize that the idea is worth 10% and the other 90% is pure hustle. You'd be surprised how far you can get by simply taking action daily.

The amount of satisfaction you will have with your life is directly correlated with how much uncertainty you are willing to stomach. So learn to be okay with uncertainty. I consider lack of clarity to be good in a way because that means you are now questioning your old reality and are slowly welcoming a new, better reality into your life.

Chances are a whole ton of emotions are going to rise to the surface and start messing with your head in the process unless you are an emotionless robot. This is where you start to realize that the idea is almost insignificant and that process is everything. Remember this: when you are in a state of confusion, there is usually an unconscious emotion blocking you. Learn to identify what those emotions are and master it.

“I’m scared to take the wrong action. I feel like I need to be prepared before doing anything.”

“People don’t take me seriously, I’m too young, not qualified enough, etc.”

“People will think I’m trying to cheat them.”

“This is too hard. There’s too much information out there. I don’t know where to start.”

“I don’t have enough money to get started.”

If you are having mindset issues just send me a PM and I'll do my best to walk you through sorting your head out. You can have all of the steps for a successful business laid out before you, but if you cannot condition your mindset to that of a go getter, the future obstacles may overwhelm you or even paralyze you into taking zero action. Mindset is everything.

Throw your TV on Craigslist for free and have someone pick it up immediately. Instead of spending 1 hour on TV each night, spend 1 hour copying some Gary Halbert sales letters to learn copywriting. You need to master these 2 things bro:

1. Learn to identify pain points that can scale.
2. Learn to create a compelling and convincing offer that you can market to the masses. That's what copywriting is for.

This is up for debate, but I would choose a need that I may have some interest in even if that means less money. If I'm going to be involved with a business for the next 3-5 years then I want to be at least somewhat interested in the topic on some level. I'm not saying that I have to be ultra passionate for it, but there has to be some genuine interest.

Like most things worth pursuing in life, this requires effort on your part. If you are willing to work harder than you do in your 9-5 then the universe will reward you for it.

I'm not sure how old you are or if you have a gf/wife, but hopefully she supports the path that you are taking. Most people will think you're nuts.

Take action daily. Get the ice cream.

You are half man/half amazing and possess superhero powers to solve the needs and pains of others. That is your sole purpose. You are not chasing money, you are a pain solver. All that you want is to leave your mark on this planet and leave the world a better place than when you entered it by solving the pains of others. That is all. It's not about money. Money is nothing more than a reflection of the amount of value you give to the world.

You are at peace with who you are. You are not seeking validation from others, including the business owners you are contacting. You give yourself permission to be your true self...a guy who only wants to solve the pains of others, with zero attachment to personal gain. When you approach them with sincerity and show your authentic flawed self with them, they will do the same and admit their pains and needs to you. That is all you need...to love others.

For it is in giving that we receive…and that is the true essence of the Fastlane. It’s not about you. It’s about them.
Wow, ICK!!!! Thank you for taking the time to write all that out!!!! Holy shit, that's going to take a little time to process.

Post office opens at 8:30, then right to the phones. I plan to start with an industry that has antiquated systems everywhere within it - manufacturing. There are many many directions this can go, so I'm keeping an open mind with one goal in mind - FIX SOMETHING THAT SUCKS!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Action fakers write more. They feel explanations are in order.
Successful people don't need explanations.

Thank you for this, I have always tried to put this in simple words and never could in the past. This is what I see a lot of on here..... explaining things like people care. If you want to be successful, you are going to have to stop thinking people care about you and the things you say or do.

Rem

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 14, 2009
Maine
I am not trying to be controversial but I care what others say or do. Maybe I am weird but I truly do. How else can you help solve another person's needs if you don't care. So when I write or say things, I intend them to be for those who care.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
I am not trying to be controversial but I care what others say or do. Maybe I am weird but I truly do. How else can you help solve another person's needs if you don't care. So when I write or say things, I intend them to be for those who care.

You are talking about the inverse of what I am...

Phenom

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Sep 7, 2012
Montreal, Canada
You are at peace with who you are. You are not seeking validation from others, including the business owners you are contacting. You give yourself permission to be your true self...a guy who only wants to solve the pains of others, with zero attachment to personal gain. When you approach them with sincerity and show your authentic flawed self with them, they will do the same and admit their pains and needs to you. That is all you need...to love others.

For it is in giving that we receive…and that is the true essence of the Fastlane. It’s not about you. It’s about them.[/quote]

@IceCreamKid This is one powerful perspective and you even put in BOLD for us! Thank you for this. @IAmTheJeff Bro I hope you keep giving us updates. You got quite a lot of incentives! This is personal mentoring at it's best. Thank you!

IAmTheJeff

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Mar 5, 2014
Philadelphia, Pa
End of day one (kind of):

Today was a day of rejection. Not by business owners or managers, but but the dreaded gatekeepers!!!! I did get to speak with a few owners at smaller manufacturing facilities, (I gave no bias to what they make) and so far I've heard a few things that seem interesting, but I really want to talk to the bigger guys.

This is why it's only "kind of" the end of the day. I'll be researching every possible method to get around those obnoxious gatekeepers. Secretaries are great and all, until they try to keep me from talking to the boss.

I did send emails to the guys that were "inaccessible," despite being told they don't use it. We'll see if I get any responses. I'm effin hyped now!

If any of you have any tips on secretary avoidance, please share. I'm confident it would help more than just me!

Thanks everyone!

Rem

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 14, 2009
Maine
Wait what did I miss? Did you decide to pick a niche? or you still doing some market research?

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
my only advice is to keep at it... and the one gem I always live by, do not accept a no from someone who is unqualified to give you a yes... no one likes to admit they do not know.

there is no trick to going around them. you have to go through them... you just have to be sneaky.

if you want to talk to the owner and cant ask to talk to a customer service manager, or a supervisor of production etc... if you talk to the right people with the right information they will get you in the proper channels.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Get creative, looking up a main line and cold calling went tells the best results although it's a great start. Think visits, linked in, networking, business that serve that business, etc

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

Today was a day of rejection. Not by business owners or managers, but but the dreaded gatekeepers!!!! I did get to speak with a few owners at smaller manufacturing facilities, (I gave no bias to what they make) and so far I've heard a few things that seem interesting, but I really want to talk to the bigger guys.

This is why it's only "kind of" the end of the day. I'll be researching every possible method to get around those obnoxious gatekeepers. Secretaries are great and all, until they try to keep me from talking to the boss.

I did send emails to the guys that were "inaccessible," despite being told they don't use it. We'll see if I get any responses. I'm effin hyped now!

If any of you have any tips on secretary avoidance, please share. I'm confident it would help more than just me!

Thanks everyone!

Start at the top. I called a fortune 20 company yesterday. Asked for the CEO. Knew he wouldn't take my call, but asking for him by NAME skirted all of the gatekeepers. Then, the CEO's office refers you to the right executive. Then you call him, and say "I was referred to you by Mr. CEO's office..."

Keep pushing.

IAmTheJeff

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Mar 5, 2014
Philadelphia, Pa
Get creative, looking up a main line and cold calling went tells the best results although it's a great start. Think visits, linked in, networking, business that serve that business, etc
Definitely going to dig deeper. I went with "direct lines" which aren't exactly direct. I will definitely look in to linkedin though. I forgot how valuable a resource that can be!

@CarrieW, that may work, perhaps I'll try some main numbers tomorrow too.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Top down. Never bottom up, because there are barriers intentionally in place to keep you out. Also, a transfer internally from the CEO's office if you can get it is better than a second call. Some times the phone systems internally say where the call is transferred from.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

Thanks everyone!

By the way, unless you are in ASIA this day is FAR from over.

It's over if you punch a clock.

Real Fastlaners work 24-7.

IAmTheJeff

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Mar 5, 2014
Philadelphia, Pa
Start at the top. I called a fortune 20 company yesterday. Asked for the CEO. Knew he wouldn't take my call, but asking for him by NAME skirted all of the gatekeepers. Then, the CEO's office refers you to the right executive. Then you call him, and say "I was referred to you by Mr. CEO's office..."

Keep pushing.
For the big guys, I wasn't particularly looking for Mr.CEO, but I like the way you think. Maybe that's the route to go, especially for maximum impact.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
For the big guys, I wasn't particularly looking for Mr.CEO, but I like the way you think. Maybe that's the route to go, especially for maximum impact.

BULLSHIT.

I am ALWAYS looking for the CEO. Because, the CEO will always tell me WHO to talk through to cut through all the shit.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Here's your lesson as you are half way through day 1.
CHANGE YOUR EXPECTATIONS.

RAISE YOUR EXPECTATIONS.

YOU ARE THE F*ckING CEO. The other CEO's are your PEERS.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Dinner is for closers. You have to earn the right to relax. You're not there yet. Push harder.

workingtitle

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
May 27, 2013
I thought about not posting this but I felt it would be doing you a disservice to not tell you.

You don't need this thread.
You don't need any of the "top guys" of this forum holding you accountable.
You don't need to romanticize your "struggle"
You don't need to post updates every day telling strangers you picked up the phone, made one call, and felt you did something for the day.

You're action faking. Even your "I'll give people money to hold me accountable" is action faking. Does zen******* have his check yet? Why not? Why do you tag every major player of this forum in your posts? Do you think MJ gives a shit? Every one of your posts in this thread is either an action fake or an approval grab.

Look at the "support" you've received so far. The only reason they're even offering you SOME help is because your posting right now embodies everything that they hate. Laziness, Pity, Weakness, Helplessness. These are the things that they've purposely had to crush within themselves. You think they don't have those feelings? Think again. The difference between them and you is that they beat it. They didn't succumb. They bailed themselves out. When you post and remind them that this mindset still exists it exasperates them. It really says something about the quality of the people on this forum that this thread has been entertained for this long.

I think you're going to fizzle out. I think Zen will become $1000 richer (if he ever receives your checks). And I think that homeless shelter will miss out on a care package. So if your success is a stock, I'm shorting you.

Did I strike a nerve? Prove me wrong. Everyone's watching.

Last edited:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I thought about not posting this but I felt it would be doing you a disservice to not tell you.

You don't need this thread.
You don't need any of the "top guys" of this forum holding you accountable.
You don't need to romanticize your "struggle"
You don't need to post updates every day telling strangers you picked up the phone, made one call, and felt you did something for the day.

You're action faking. Even your "I'll give people money to hold me accountable" is action faking. Does zen******* have his check yet? Why not? Why do you tag every major player of this forum in your posts? Do you think MJ gives a shit? Every one of your posts in this thread is either an action fake or an approval grab.

Look at the "support" you've received so far. The only reason they're even offering you SOME help is because your posting right now embodies everything that they hate. Laziness, Pity, Weakness, Helplessness. These are the things that they've purposely had to crush within themselves. You think they don't have those feelings? Think again. The difference between them and you is that they beat it. They didn't succumb. They bailed themselves out. When you post and remind them that this mindset still exists it exasperates them. It really says something about the quality of the people on this forum that this thread has been entertained for this long.

I think you're going to fizzle out. I think Zen will become $1000 richer (if he ever receives your checks). And I think that homeless shelter will miss out on a care package. So if your success is a stock, I'm shorting you.

Did I strike a nerve? Prove me wrong. Everyone's watching.

Not much you said is incorrect, but I am gambling on a different outcome.

We dig transformative stories. This could be one. Too soon to tell.

SGBoise

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Jan 21, 2014
How do you make $10,000? By making $100 first. Seams like you you want to swim the lake but don't realize you have to get your feet wet.

Make a goal to make your first $100 from your business. Then repeat 100 more times.

IceCreamKid

With Great Power Comes Great Electricity Bill
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,185%
Jun 8, 2010
California

My sentiments exactly. I actually try to minimize how much cold calling that I do and prefer more creative actions because cold calling can be downright painful at times.

Think outside the bun.

I recall zen******* posting once about how if you overnight a fedex package to someone higher up the ladder, they will for sure open it. What a clever move.

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC

Keep pushing.
Knowing the owner/CEO's name got me past every gatekeeper I've ever called (100% success rate). The person answering assumes that if you know the principal's name, you must have a personal connection and thus they shouldn't interfere. To the OP LinkedIn and googling are your friends here.

Rem

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 14, 2009
Maine
Call me stupid... wait, don't call me that... why are we contacting CEO's of companies? I am trying to follow this thread and everything just took a 90 degree hook in another direction and I am confused how everyone is on the same page but me. Who are we calling and why?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.