• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

NOTABLE! A Room Full of Opportunity (Follow up on the darn leads!)

Discussion in 'General Mindset, Motivation, Beliefs' started by MidwestLandlord, Sep 14, 2018.

1. MidwestLandlord

MidwestLandlord Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $39,318
    Exactly. I'm glad you mentioned face-to-face sales as well.

We're all salespeople, whether we realize it or not, and face-to-face sales gives the best results BY FAR IMHO.

I've been working on my face-to-face sales. I'm energetic and animated when I speak, which isn't always a good thing. (I'm energetic like "get it done!" rather than "rabid squirrel!"...so not a nervous energy)

1) I talk fast.

The downside of this is I don't adjust my speed of speech for the person I am talking to. Older folks are a good example, so are the rural, laid-back "country folk" that are common in my area. My talking fast confuses them, or irritates them, or worse comes across as arrogant. (for the record, I'm cocky...not arrogant lol)

This has been a fairly easy fix. It is something I have to stay aware of though.

2) I'm very animated

If I can't move my hands when I talk, I quite literally can't talk. Being animated and high energy like that is mostly good, it shows I believe in what I am selling, but it can also be distracting and overwhelming when overdone (I've been accused of being intimidating because of it as well. Which always confuses me since I don't consider myself an intimidating guy)

I enlisted the help of a gal I know that is also in sales. We sit down and practice our scripts together every Wednesday. She insists I sit on my hands while saying my scripts. I hate it!

But these small changes have WORKED.

It's amazing how the small adjustments amount to so much.

Social skills and selling skills are SO important in life. While I've always had decent social skills (I'm an extrovert), this is really my first experience in choosing to learn sales skills, and not just "winging it" like I have been.

It's life changing.

DVU, SMH, Required and 5 others like this.
  2. amp0193

amp0193 Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $47,754
    I love Streak.

And I love typing "Just checking to see if you got my email" when I can plainly see that they've read it 3 times already.

DVU, CareCPA, SMH and 2 others like this.
  3. Andy Black

Andy Black Any colour, as long as it's red. Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $178,586
    ^^^ Likewise.

I can lose people completely with enthusiasm and hamming up the “I’m a passionate geek not a salesman” part.

I’m aware that for some people it’s too much and I need to slow down and go at their pace.

I’m working with a friend who’s got over 20 years experience as a traveling salesman (the guy from my “Yes, but” thread). It’s been very interesting watching him getting the hang of what I do, and him giving me little adjustments to try (or at least think about).

I used to get a bit frustrated speaking to him because of his slow delivery, and wondered how well that would come across when he made his sales calls. Seeing him in action though has been eye opening. That slow delivery means he doesn’t ramble like I have a tendency to do.

I’ve been told I’m good at sales, and that I’m the type of person people want to buy from.

I’ve also been told I’m not a salesman. Haha. Which could be partly why I’m good at sales.

I’m much more interested in getting better at face to face sales now I’ve seen my friend doing it. He wants to help people, and has some nice ways of keeping it natural while finding out how best to help them.

Like you say, winging it has got me so far, a bit more of a framework will get me even further.

Just for context, I’m an introvert, but as comfortable stood in front of a group of people winging it as I am chatting to someone 1-2-1. I’m not sure how that’s possible, or quite how to lean into it.

4. MidwestLandlord

MidwestLandlord Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $39,318
    nsea.png

Although these statistics are debatable (and hotly debated on the internet), there is lot's of truth in them.

Of course this is made for sales people...but where else in life would it apply?

5. MidwestLandlord

Rep Bank:
    $39,318
    And I'm realizing that face-to-face sales sets you apart from everyone else.

SO MANY sales people want to sit behind a screen and wait for things to happen. For leads to call them. For leads to come in from a PPC landing page. For leads to come in from billboards, bus stop benches, facebook ads, whatever.

Texts, facebook messages, linkedin messages...

All tech and no humanity.

That stuff has a place for sure, but when you take the time to sit down with someone over coffee and talk about how you can help them, remembering what they said the last time you spoke ("How'd that work project turn out for you?")...it sets you apart.

Amazing how just being "human" can be an advantage.

SMH, amp0193, throttleforward and 3 others like this.
  6. MTEE1985

MTEE1985 The world belongs to the risk takers Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,700
    Pareto principle at work once again...80% of sales on 5th contact or later yet only 10% put in that effort.

I would venture a guess that entrepreneurship has similar statistics as far as how many give it a try once and say “not for me” but to have that successful business typically will take at least 4 or 5 attempts if not dozens.

7. Andy Black

Andy Black Any colour, as long as it's red. Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $178,586
    Agreed. Diesel and coffee for the win.

It tickles me that I best help folks with online marketing by meeting them face-to-face.

8. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $386,818
    Admin Post
    Looking to hire a land surveyor, $3-$5K job, made 4 inquiries.

1 called back 4 days later...
    The other 3, not a peep.

Maybe if I wait another 3 weeks, they'll call back. SMH.

focusedlife, Roz, SMH and 2 others like this.
  9. RahKnee

RahKnee Bronze Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $369
    @MidwestLandlord , do you feel the course you are tak9ng would he applicable to someone selling financial services? If so, would you mind sending me a PM with the name of the course?

MidwestLandlord likes this.
  10. MidwestLandlord

Rep Bank:
    $39,318
    Not really. The mindset is applicable, but not the actual material. By the end of the course I just wanted it to end. Way too much "feel good" kool-aid to drink for me. Literally got a participation trophy haha

There's nothing in the course you can't learn from threads on this forum or books on the subject.

Roz, RahKnee and Andy Black like this.
  11. RahKnee

RahKnee Bronze Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $369
    Thanks for the quick response and honesty.

Andy Black and MidwestLandlord like this.
  12. rogue synthetic

rogue synthetic * Not actually Rutger Hauer Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $6,147
    Thinking back over expensive things I've bought, almost a perfect 10/10 are purchases that took multiple (as in, 10+) touches before pulling the trigger.

It isn't because I didn't like the product.

It isn't because I didn't trust the pitch-man or the company.

Mostly isn't to do with price.

I buy because I keep seeing it over and over...and over and over... again...

...and one of those days, I just say, what the hell?

Out comes the card.

If I've only seen one email, or a 5-day onboard sequence (I mostly ignore these, funny enough...), and left it at that, I'd never have bought it. Show me something worth wanting over and over again, and you've got me thinking about it. Sooner or later it's gonna happen.

But not if you stop pushing the buttons!

There are a lot of myths about sales out there. The idea that you've got to convert RIGHT NOW OR ELSE has to be one of the worst. Maybe that's true for commodities...for anything worth buying, the slow-burn seems to be the rule.

13. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $386,818
    Admin Post
    OMG, I heard back from one of them today! Nearly 3 weeks later! We're do I sign to hire you? (sarc)

14. Boo

Boo Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,057
    I've been waiting two weeks for an insurance broker to call me back, despite calling them 7 times and emailing twice in the same period. These people must be allergic to money.

15. DVU

DVU In Progress Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,750
    Question for the experienced sales guys here:

Do you mention the price in the initial written cold contact like email or DM?

Or do you mention it down the line if they are interested? I feel like the second approach might scare away interested leads by thinking "oh it's probably too expensive for me I'm not going to act" versus if they know how much it costs its either a yes or on in their mind right away.

Would love if someone could expand on this.

Thanks.

MTEE1985 and MidwestLandlord like this.
  16. MidwestLandlord

Rep Bank:
    $39,318
    They must have so much business that they can't keep up and call back quickly! Haha!

Well...I sell real estate and CPG's, so yes.

With the CPG's the price is always included because a retailer wouldn't look at the information otherwise. Also I include the price so I can include their margin based off the SRP.

With real estate, I would lose my license if I didn't include the price. (and MLS #)

Hopefully others will chime in with more help.

MTEE1985 and DVU like this.
  17. MTEE1985

MTEE1985 The world belongs to the risk takers Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,700
    Interestingly enough, my wife called an air quality inspector yesterday to come to a house we’re in escrow on and while he did reply quickly, his response was “I’m booked for the next two weeks and do this all over the country, there’s not a lot of people that do what I do”

Opportunity abounds where people don’t respond and also where demand is high.

I personally think pricing should be included when it’s fixed or can be calculated ahead of time. The reality is, lots of prospects will think you are trying to hide something by not disclosing it upfront. Plus, by cutting to the chase you can get to that Yes or No more quickly.

18. mtnman

mtnman Bronze Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,320
    This is such a good thread OP, I can't tell you how much I love your quote at the end!

There is so much opportunity out there, simply because of this dynamic... I even see it everyday in the blogging world when people constantly say stupid shit like:

JD: I've been blogging for 8 months and haven't made a dime
    Me: How many words have you published?
    JD: Almost 4,000 now!
    Me: ....come back and see me when you've actually done some work
    [​IMG]

19. fasteddienc

fasteddienc New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $119

Check out this book. I started it recently and it looks promising. I purchased strictly based on reviews. https://www.amazon.com/Cold-Calling...=cold+calling&qid=1552674154&s=gateway&sr=8-4

20. mtnman

mtnman Bronze Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,320
    I didn't check out the book, but thanks for bumping the thread...

This is alive and well still to this day. An old local lead gen client reached out a couple weeks ago... said they weren't getting any leads, could I help?

Meh, I don't really do it anymore, but felt bad for the guy. A bit of leg work, some call tracking numbers, and a couple ads later... BANG - calls like a mofo. These are $20k + jobs, so if you're a half decent service provider at all, it's good money.

But you know what I learned? #1 I wasted my time, but I had fun doing the little experiment. #2 you can't help the helpless, who don't want to help themselves. F*cking crying left and right, but unwilling to learn or do whatever it takes... SMH

Turns out, getting leads wasn't the biggest problem, answering the phone and customer service is the real problem. (time and time and time and time AGAIN FFS!)

I started taking the calls myself to my personal cell phone, just to see if I still had it... one appointment after the other. Did I have to wade through some annoyances, sales calls, etc... Sure, but it's not a big deal if you develop qualifying process.

F*cking opportunity out the a$$ if you're willing to get after it!

404profound likes this.
  21. Temitayo Adewole

Temitayo Adewole PARKED

Rep Bank:
    $1

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.