The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

A recession is needed in order SHAKE-OUT the fools...

Anything related to investing, including crypto

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I welcome a recession as I view it as a necessary evil in order to bring order and common sense back to investing and the financial markets. In other words, a recession is needed to shake-out the investment fools who think investing means "Go to Robinhood and buy any option discussed at Wall Street Bets".

Here's a prime example of a shake-out.

The entire read is long, cringeworthy, and full of political red meat, including a nice little trope about how money can't buy happiness.

But it shows what a shake-out looks like: It's an "investor" who thinks buying options in a high-volatility environment is investing. It's an investor who has known NOTHING but up-up-and-up in the markets for the last 15 years. It's an investor who is a gambler, someone who thinks Reddit's Wall Street Bets is "inside information" and financial advice.

We recently had someone here who was being "shaked out" and instead of learning from his mistakes, he called 9 months of market declines a "black swan."

Folks, the recession is needed in order to bring common sense back to investing. It is needed to make people realize that REAL WEALTH is created by producing REAL VALUE -- not because you bought some overpriced puts with an IVR of 100% and got lucky.

1667757318633.png

1667757383397.png
As they say, everyone's a genius in a bull-market.

Bring on the recession.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

farmer79

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
321%
Nov 24, 2013
Saskatchewan, Canada
What is not understood is there was a true black swan event. The global economy being entirely shutdown for 12-24 months and the markets more than doubling in 17 months. Completely devoid off all logic. That was a flock of black swans.
1. Worldwide global pandemic horribly mismanaged by government.
2. People stuck at home, it’s illlegal to go for a walk in the park.
3. Robinhood rising giving easy, commission free, instantaneous, gameified trading.
4.All sports betting stopped cold turkey, because there is no sports.
5. And who can forget,all those people stuck at home, we’ll give them free money, and tell them they don’t have to pay their rent or make mortgage payments.

It was a flock of black swans.

The market drop from 4800 to 3800? The upcoming recession? Completely inevitable. We are still above the Pre-Covid frothy highs. It’s a black swan we are still this high.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I welcome a recession as I view it as a necessary evil in order to bring order and common sense back to investing and the financial markets. In other words, a recession is needed to shake-out the investment fools who think investing means "Go to Robinhood and buy any option discussed at Wall Street Bets".

The entire read is long, cringeworthy, and full of political red meat, including a nice little trope about how money can't buy happiness.

But it shows what a shake-out looks like: It's an "investor" who thinks buying options in a high-volatility environment is investing. It's an investor who has known NOTHING but up-up-and-up in the markets for the last 15 years. It's an investor who is a gambler, someone who thinks Reddit's Wall Street Bets is "inside information" and financial advice.

We recently had someone here who was being "shaked out" and instead of learning from his mistakes, he called 9 months of market declines a "black swan."

Folks, the recession is needed in order to bring common sense back to investing. It is needed to make people realize that REAL WEALTH is created by producing REAL VALUE -- not because you bought some overpriced puts with an IVR of 100% and got lucky.

View attachment 45805

View attachment 45806

Bring on the recession.
I never understood the part about not taking money off the table. I've always viewed any type of monthly or fast cashflow as a temporary income stream and to bank it away into something that is not tied to the income stream.

That's probably why my ecom business has also never grown exponentially. I never put my profits all back into it. I would always take most of my profits and invest it elsewhere. I've seen so many people make a ton of money and five years later, still have nothing to show for it.

If you reinvest everything back into your one source money machine and that machine breaks, you are left with nothing to show for all your work.

Sadly, the person in this article would not have listened to advice from anyone. He could have a nice $500k nest egg spouting off $25k-$50k in passive income for the rest of his life. If he really wanted to buy his parents a house or his dad's church a van, he would have done so. But I think that was a nice thing to say in the article to make himself feel better. :mad:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

View attachment 45805

View attachment 45806

Bring on the recession.
Agreed. No question.

Reminds me of the average large cap CEO of the last 10 years. They haven’t needed to do much more than virtue signal.

It’s time some work gets done by the actual value creators. Those “geniuses,” like the responsibility dodging, “James Taggert” CEO of Ford, are hopefully done.

polaroid22

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Oct 26, 2021
The market drop from 4800 to 3800? The upcoming recession? Completely inevitable. We are still above the Pre-Covid frothy highs. It’s a black swan we are still this high.
All true, but they also printed so much money (1/5th of all US dollars in 2020 alone.) that one starts to wonder that the prices so far, might have dropped enough already, in comparison with the money invested right now. It's not that the money is disappearing, it's just changing hands.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

I never understood the part about not taking money off the table. I've always viewed any type of monthly or fast cashflow as a temporary income stream and to bank it away into something that is not tied to the income stream.

That's probably why my ecom business has also never grown exponentially. I never put my profits all back into it. I would always take most of my profits and invest it elsewhere. I've seen so many people make a ton of money and five years later, still have nothing to show for it.

If you reinvest everything back into your one source money machine and that machine breaks, you are left with nothing to show for all your work.

Sadly, the person in this article would not have listened to advice from anyone. He could have a nice $500k nest egg spouting off $25k-$50k in passive income for the rest of his life. If he really wanted to buy his parents a house or his dad's church a van, he would have done so. But I think that was a nice thing to say in the article to make himself feel better. :mad:
I agree with you. I would add that even if your machine never breaks, you might wind up with a massive machine/business that just owns your entire life (and is worth a lot on paper that the CPAs and banks all drool over - but hey you can take out lots of credit whenever you need to). That's why converting active/business income to passive income is so important.

Anyway, I agree entirely with MJ's point. Lots of market mania the last few years. I also agree with the first reply by @farmer79 though - there have been some actual Black Swans - and I don't mean the pandemic, I mean the government's response to the pandemic primarily, like making business illegal.

jdm667

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 27, 2020
Boston, MA
Another thing is that now people and businesses are spoiled with low interest rates. They think they are entitled to 2.5% on a mortgage.

They think 7% is high. Um, no, it's not. Look at the rates over the past 40 years. 2.5% on a mortgage is the problem, not 7%.

Ronnie Bryan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
May 4, 2015
Oklahoma

Ronnie Bryan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
May 4, 2015
Oklahoma

View attachment 45805

View attachment 45806

Bring on the recession.
Guilty. I actually considered Robinhood at one time. This forum helped me decide that was not wisdom. Thank you, MJ

FIFL

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Feb 17, 2015

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
630%
May 9, 2017
Washington State

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
Maybe I’m too young or dumb.

What’s wrong with a recession? Isn’t it part of the economy? Isn’t it out of our control? Isn’t it guaranteed that IT WILL HAPPEN every now and then? Why are people acting like this is a surprise ?

I understand some lost “everything” during the other recessions but doesn’t that happen when you’re over leveraged?

jdm667

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 27, 2020
Boston, MA
Maybe I’m too young or dumb.

What’s wrong with a recession? Isn’t it part of the economy? Isn’t it out of our control? Isn’t it guaranteed that IT WILL HAPPEN every now and then? Why are people acting like this is a surprise ?

I understand some lost “everything” during the other recessions but doesn’t that happen when you’re over leveraged?
There is nothing wrong with a recession after a boom - the economy is cyclical, just like high tide and low tide on the ocean. Recessions are not a bug - rather, they are a feature of the economic system.

The problem is when interest rates are held artificially low for too long, and too much money is printed - all in the vain hope that we can somehow have a "booming" economy forever, with no recession.

It would be like if you just kept drinking coffee so you never have to sleep - eventually, your body will just shut down or you will die (recession).

Yes, being over leveraged is an issue - it is bad for those who are overextended. But, it is good because it gives those who were prudent a chance to come in and buy things at a discount (if they have the cash & the guts to do so).

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.