The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

a little DeMarco a day, keeps the...Trello at bay?

Fms

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Jan 5, 2020
I wrote a little code and thought I'd write this up. I've been using Trello to manage my workflow. Though I've used it for years, I just started playing with some of the automation, which is called Butler. Being programatically inclined, I also decided that it might be time to explore the API a bit. I'm using py-trello, even though I'm a little concerned that it hasn't been updated in awhile.

I noticed that Butler has a feature to move or copy a random card- and I had an idea. What if I maintained a stack of cards of all of MJ's Youtube videos, and just copied one a day into my daily to-do? That way I could have a little dose of him as part of my routine.

So I'm writing code which will check the youtube feed once a day, add any new stuff to the "DeMarco videos" Trello stack, and then a Butler routine to copy a random card from that stack to my daily to-do list every day. Automation for the win.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
187%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
So I'm writing code which will check the youtube feed once a day, add any new stuff to the "DeMarco videos" Trello stack, and then a Butler routine to copy a random card from that stack to my daily to-do list every day. Automation for the win.
Unless you are using this to teach yourself code, why would you do this? MJ hasn't posted in 4 months on youtube. It seems like a whole bunch of work when you can just hop on Youtube once a week to check for any new videos.

As said before, if you are just trying to learn code, go for it. But outside of that, this just seems like a waste of time that could be better spent learning skills or making money.

Fms

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Jan 5, 2020
Unless you are using this to teach yourself code, why would you do this? MJ hasn't posted in 4 months on youtube. It seems like a whole bunch of work when you can just hop on Youtube once a week to check for any new videos.

As said before, if you are just trying to learn code, go for it. But outside of that, this just seems like a waste of time that could be better spent learning skills or making money.
I want to watch the backlog. Don't really care about new videos.

Fms

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Jan 5, 2020
I want to watch the backlog. Don't really care about new videos.
Ngl sounds like action faking to me if you are not doing this to learn to code.
So is reading the books action faking? How about setting up a system to work a backlog? I view it as part of setting up my environment.

And guys, I know how to code. It took 15 minutes to set this up. It's not a big deal.

Fms

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Jan 5, 2020
Update: it's been very useful to have a daily dose. Reminds me to stay on the critical path and work the process.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.