The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

A guy walks into a bar...

Marketing, social media, advertising

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
The barman asks what he wants.

The guy says "A cold beer please."

The End.

Be an order taker first before trying to persuade people.

Fulfil demand that's already there before going off generating demand.

#sales101 #googleads101

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
555%
Apr 17, 2022
At first, I thought the joke will go like this:

A guy walks into a bar. The bar is called Fastlane Inn.

He asks:

Hey guys, I hate my 9-5 job, read 3 books about fastlane cars or something like that, and now I want to invest in crypto, stocks, start an SMMA, do copywriting, and journal my thoughts while taking cold showers.

@Kak , the local sheriff, overhears this conversation.

giphy.gif

To be continued...

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
The barman asks what he wants.

The guy says "You didn't ask me for my ID first."

The barman goes to jail.

The end.

Qualify your lead first before taking an order.

Sorry, @Andy Black. Just couldn't resist lol.

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
At first, I thought the joke will go like this:

A guy walks into a bar. The bar is called Fastlane Inn.

He asks:

Hey guys, I hate my 9-5 job, read 3 books about fastlane cars or something like that, and now I want to invest in crypto, stocks, start an SMMA, do copywriting, and journal my thoughts while taking cold showers.

@Kak , the local sheriff, overhears this conversation.

giphy.gif

To be continued...

I was hoping for more of a “you gone f*ed up now Dr Wu!” ending from @Kak with this.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
If I was an order taker in my business, I’d have no clients. And I’d say neither would you @Andy Black. We’re in the business of demand gen, since our fields are very crowded, clients have a lot of choice. And those who are in “order giving” mode will usually not find us.

I’d say that this advice only applies to a select few businesses — usually physical businesses, especially the trades, like plumbers, electricians, landscapers and so on. For these guys, it’s enough to stick an ad up and they get clients.

But damn, until a client pays us @Andy Black, it’s a long hard fight :rofl:

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
If I was an order taker in my business, I’d have no clients. And I’d say neither would you @Andy Black. We’re in the business of demand gen, since our fields are very crowded, clients have a lot of choice. And those who are in “order giving” mode will usually not find us.

I’d say that this advice only applies to a select few businesses — usually physical businesses, especially the trades, like plumbers, electricians, landscapers and so on. For these guys, it’s enough to stick an ad up and they get clients.

But damn, until a client pays us @Andy Black, it’s a long hard fight :rofl:
I take orders @Black_Dragon43.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
How do you mean?

I don’t see posting on social media as taking orders, that’s usually a demand generation strategy, because it’s building authority with the goal of showing people how, in this case, Google Ads could be useful for their business.

That’s what you do when you post here and on LinkedIn. It’s not what you do for your clients, that’s true, but it is what you do for yourself.

To me, taking orders would mean having the people who already want to do Google Ads come to you. People who already want Google Ads are few, usually if they’re at that stage, they already know someone. Sure, that someone could be you, that’s where referrals usually come from. But, we both know referrals aren’t sufficient to build a business, you need to be able to bring in new clients.

If you could truly be an “order taker”, then you’d run ads on Google or Facebook saying “Want to expand your business via Google Ads? Let me help you” and you’d get orders. Why bother posting on social media at all? Then, I would agree, you would be an order-taker.

But that’s virtually impossible, because, I’d say, there is no unfulfiled demand for Google Ads. Where are all these people wanting to do Google Ads and not finding someone to help them? Maybe I’m wrong, but I just don’t see it.

There’s thousands of agencies and maybe tens of thousands of freelancers who can fulfil demand. So why would it come to you?

I think order taking is for those few businesses that are lucky enough not to have much competition. Maybe there are 3 landscaping companies in a small town. All the landscaping work is necessarily split between them. Those guys, I agree, ARE order takers.

A business like the idea @Kak recently shared on the forum, THAT business may be an order-taking business. Because it’s relatively unique, there aren’t thousands of such companies on the market.

But I can’t see how you’re an order taker. In your case Google Ads, and in my case LinkedIn Lead Gen for Agencies are extremely crowded fields. You can find providers everywhere. Yes, most of them perhaps aren’t very good, which adds another problem we have to overcome: buyer skepticism. But it does mean there are no orders floating around for us to fulfil at all. We have to convince people that our service is a good idea for them first. That’s what our marketing does.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
How do you mean?

I don’t see posting on social media as taking orders, that’s usually a demand generation strategy, because it’s building authority with the goal of showing people how, in this case, Google Ads could be useful for their business.

That’s what you do when you post here and on LinkedIn. It’s not what you do for your clients, that’s true, but it is what you do for yourself.

To me, taking orders would mean having the people who already want to do Google Ads come to you. People who already want Google Ads are few, usually if they’re at that stage, they already know someone. Sure, that someone could be you, that’s where referrals usually come from. But, we both know referrals aren’t sufficient to build a business, you need to be able to bring in new clients.

If you could truly be an “order taker”, then you’d run ads on Google or Facebook saying “Want to expand your business via Google Ads? Let me help you” and you’d get orders. Why bother posting on social media at all? Then, I would agree, you would be an order-taker.

But that’s virtually impossible, because, I’d say, there is no unfulfiled demand for Google Ads. Where are all these people wanting to do Google Ads and not finding someone to help them? Maybe I’m wrong, but I just don’t see it.

There’s thousands of agencies and maybe tens of thousands of freelancers who can fulfil demand. So why would it come to you?

I think order taking is for those few businesses that are lucky enough not to have much competition. Maybe there are 3 landscaping companies in a small town. All the landscaping work is necessarily split between them. Those guys, I agree, ARE order takers.

A business like the idea @Kak recently shared on the forum, THAT business may be an order-taking business. Because it’s relatively unique, there aren’t thousands of such companies on the market.

But I can’t see how you’re an order taker. In your case Google Ads, and in my case LinkedIn Lead Gen for Agencies are extremely crowded fields. You can find providers everywhere. Yes, most of them perhaps aren’t very good, which adds another problem we have to overcome: buyer skepticism. But it does mean there are no orders floating around for us to fulfil at all. We have to convince people that our service is a good idea for them first. That’s what our marketing does.
I'm an order taker in the sense people come to me asking to buy X. I don't have to persuade them to buy X, or even to buy X from me.

My content on LinkedIn doesn't really persuade people to buy X. It just let's people know I exist, am open for business, and not sketchy. Most of my posts on social media and in the forum aren't anything to do with Google Ads.

I liken it to the barman working in a bar with signage out front. Those who want to enter do so. Those that don't keep walking.

When people go into the bar the barman doesn't try to persuade them to buy a drink. They go up to him and order a drink.

Lots of people want help with Google Ads but don't know who to go to. Just knowing me from my posts and knowing that's what I do can be enough for some people to pop into my DMs or refer other people to me.

KushShah9492

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jan 2, 2021
India
Another aspect to consider:

Buy 2 beers, get another one for free.

Offer freebies & discounts to keep them coming for more.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Another aspect to consider:

Buy 2 beers, get another one for free.

Offer freebies & discounts to keep them coming for more.
That would work for some places, but literally creates an environment many people wouldn't want to enter. This is a good example where higher prices creates the kind of environment those with more money prefer.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
I'm an order taker in the sense people come to me asking to buy X. I don't have to persuade them to buy X, or even to buy X from me.

My content on LinkedIn doesn't really persuade people to buy X. It just let's people know I'm about, that I'm open for business, and that I'm not sketchy. Most of my posts on social media and in the forum aren't anything to do with Google Ads.

I liken it to the barman at least working in a bar people walk past with signage on the front. Those who want to go in do. Those that don't keep walking.

When people go into the bar the barman doesn't try to persuade them to buy a drink. They go up to him and order a drink.

Lots of people want help with Google Ads but don't know who to go to. Just knowing me from my posts and knowing that's what I do can be enough for some people to pop in or refer other people to me.
Personally, I don't see order-taking as being equivalent to inbound marketing. I do think both your strategy, and my strategy, while different, do have a strong inbound component.

While it is true that many of your posts are focused on building familiarity and rapport, you definitely DO have posts that persuade people Google Ads may be a good idea or share Google Ads-related ideas that they may pick on or suggest to someone else.

Here's a few examples from your top posts:
Andy Black on LinkedIn: What would you spend $1k/mth on to grow your business? I find it an… | 15 comments
Andy Black on LinkedIn: Yikes. Someone just shared a video with me where they say to use Dynamic… | 11 comments
Andy Black on LinkedIn: Over 10 years ago I helped a startup acquire 15k signups a day using… | 11 comments
Andy Black on LinkedIn: How we Tested a Business Idea with Google Ads
Andy Black on LinkedIn: #googleads #digitalmarketing #marketing | 20 comments
Andy Black on LinkedIn: #googleads | 13 comments
Andy Black on LinkedIn: #shorts #googleads
Andy Black on LinkedIn: Dynamic Mobile Landing Pages (for Google Ads) | 35 comments

If what you're saying was true, namely: "lots of people want help with Google Ads but don't know who to go to", then you should be able to get clients by running an ad saying "Need help to get clients or leads profitably with Google Ads? I can help, let's chat!"

I don't think you can do that, at least not profitably. Tell me if I'm wrong about this and why, and if you agree with me also let me know WHY you think I'm right? Why can't you acquire Google Ads clients directly, by running an ad and looking for those who are interested?

Whereas, if you were selling water filtering systems for homes, you may be able to run an ad "Get Clean & Unlimited Drinking Water In Your Home for $3/day!", AND get clients profitably.

What makes the difference? One is an order-taking business. You ask people to put their hand up, who wants unlimited, clean drinking water? You, you and you – great, let me serve you. In that case there IS an unfulfilled demand.

The other isn't. People aren't putting their hands up when you ask them if they want clients or leads. There is no unfulfilled demand there. So instead, you need to nurture them. You need to demonstrate your credibility. You need to build the relationship. Then after you do this marketing work, people may put their hands up and be interested in more clients or leads.

That marketing work that you're doing means that you're not taking orders. You're creating orders. Hopefully this is clearer than my previous post.

To me order taking is simple: going around and asking people if they want X, and then serving them if they do. Doesn't matter if you go around in-person, via DMs or through ads that are being served to them or even through other people that recommend you.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Personally, I don't see order-taking as being equivalent to inbound marketing. I do think both your strategy, and my strategy, while different, do have a strong inbound component.

While it is true that many of your posts are focused on building familiarity and rapport, you definitely DO have posts that persuade people Google Ads may be a good idea or share Google Ads-related ideas that they may pick on or suggest to someone else.

Here's a few examples from your top posts:
Andy Black on LinkedIn: What would you spend $1k/mth on to grow your business? I find it an… | 15 comments
Andy Black on LinkedIn: Yikes. Someone just shared a video with me where they say to use Dynamic… | 11 comments
Andy Black on LinkedIn: Over 10 years ago I helped a startup acquire 15k signups a day using… | 11 comments
Andy Black on LinkedIn: How we Tested a Business Idea with Google Ads
Andy Black on LinkedIn: #googleads #digitalmarketing #marketing | 20 comments
Andy Black on LinkedIn: #googleads | 13 comments
Andy Black on LinkedIn: #shorts #googleads
Andy Black on LinkedIn: Dynamic Mobile Landing Pages (for Google Ads) | 35 comments

If what you're saying was true, namely: "lots of people want help with Google Ads but don't know who to go to", then you should be able to get clients by running an ad saying "Need help to get clients or leads profitably with Google Ads? I can help, let's chat!"

I don't think you can do that, at least not profitably. Tell me if I'm wrong about this and why, and if you agree with me also let me know WHY you think I'm right? Why can't you acquire Google Ads clients directly, by running an ad and looking for those who are interested?

Whereas, if you were selling water filtering systems for homes, you may be able to run an ad "Get Clean & Unlimited Drinking Water In Your Home for $3/day!", AND get clients profitably.

What makes the difference? One is an order-taking business. You ask people to put their hand up, who wants unlimited, clean drinking water? You, you and you – great, let me serve you. In that case there IS an unfulfilled demand.

The other isn't. People aren't putting their hands up when you ask them if they want clients or leads. There is no unfulfilled demand there. So instead, you need to nurture them. You need to demonstrate your credibility. You need to build the relationship. Then after you do this marketing work, people may put their hands up and be interested in more clients or leads.

That marketing work that you're doing means that you're not taking orders. You're creating orders. Hopefully this is clearer than my previous post.

To me order taking is simple: going around and asking people if they want X, and then serving them if they do. Doesn't matter if you go around in-person, via DMs or through ads that are being served to them or even through other people that recommend you.
All I'm saying is we have less persuading to do if we sell to people who want to buy.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
All I'm saying is we have less persuading to do if we sell to people who want to buy.
And I agree, however by this logic pretty much everyone “sells to people who want to buy”. Everyone who hops on a meeting with me wants to buy — that’s why they’re there.

But…

What brings them to meeting in the first place? In my case it’s all the prior marketing work I’ve done. Chatting to them, posting content, building a reputation, sharing case studies and so on.

That’s why I don’t see what we do as order taking — we have to “convince” these people to come and speak to us. While we may not convince them by outlining the benefits of what we do, we can also convince them by becoming friends with them, helping them etc.

The point is that it’s not enough for me to say “want more leads and clients for your agency? Come speak to me!” — no one will come lol. Some business can literarily do just the above.

Now regardless of how we call this “feature”, do you agree that for businesses like ours we cannot just shout our offer in the streets and get clients? And do you also agree that the reason why we can’t do this is because alternatives are widely available and buyer skepticism is high?

KushShah9492

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jan 2, 2021
India
That would work for some places, but literally creates an environment many people wouldn't want to enter. This is a good example where higher prices creates the kind of environment those with more money prefer.
Hah agreed.

More applicable to high-ticket offers (over $4k+)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.