The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

8 Eyewear: From Idea, to Launch, to Growth (And Quitting the Job)

Idea threads

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I wouldn't have given the email the time of day.

*DELETE*

1) Google ads would be a bottom-of-the-barrel focus if I owned a sunglasses line.
2) Uses plenty of superfluous buzz words and phrases. Shit like, "we will increase engagement on all native platforms to help broaden the enterprise value of all collaborative units."
3) Stinks of copy paste.
4) No one at Google cares about driving your profits, they're interested in driving theirs.
5) 45K is ridiculous spend on a questionable medium (outside of YouTube which I'd think would be the best).

splok

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Jul 20, 2012
Never give anyone automatic trust just because they work for a company, especially if they're trying to sell you something. There may have been a time when Google was full of only the best and brightest, but once a company gets big enough, you can't maintain that.

It's very anecdotal, but the one Googler that I've interacted with face-to-face gave a conference presentation on seo. Her advice was to literally do the exact things that pengiun/panada destroyed everyone for very shortly afterwards (and that pretty much everyone knew was super shady already). I've seen some bad talks before, but that was the only time I've ever been in complete disbelief. I kept waiting for the "And this is how you get your site delisted!" twist, but nope, entirely serious.

Supa

Came for the $. Stayed for the Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany
Wow.. not sure what to say right now. I just read through your entire progress thread the last 2 days. Congrats @Vick on just everything you achieved so far! Really gave me freaking goosebumps to read through the pages. There were about 4-5 posts where I thought 'ok that's a point now where most people would give up'. But 2 posts later you had the problem solved and your business back running smoothly. I know I can't know it for sure, but your words gave me the feeling that giving up was never even in your head for a second. At least that's how it felt for me, and that's how it should be imo.

Thanks for being so open with everything, I already bookmarked your post about how you do your IG advertising. There are really no words right now in my head that describe that feeling I got after reading your thread.

And yeah I think I don't have to mention how awesome your glasses look! I will get myself the Vortex one as soon as it is released, big glasses don't really look too good on me unfortunately lol.

EDIT:
@BaraQueenbee you have to read this :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
I briefly read the end of this thread.

I have worked with Google and their reps extensively over the past few years on multiple accounts with different companies that spend $5m or more a year on just their Adwords account alone. Mind you, working with them ( Google reps ) was not my choice.

Every single one of those accounts and every single suggestion they gave caused the accounts I was a part of to waste money or go negative ROI. Once Google would step in, we might see an increase of 7-10% in traffic, but a decrease in ROI of about 40%.

The owners or VPs of the accounts loved it though. Google would shower them with fancy dinners, gifts, and other things while dazzling them with cheesy charts and infographics.

Whenever I would counter what Google wanted to do.. I was told, "are you mad, this is Google who is telling us to do this! Of course we are going to do it!"

sheeple_copy-s720x216-224041.gif

Last edited:

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
Anyone else having slow sales this month?
Our conversions have dropped dramatically over the past few weeks.
Still trying to assess the data and see what's wrong.
I've noticed Facebook ads have been performing more poorly. And there Reach is much more expensive.

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
I have no idea what's going on. FB isn't converting. IG isn't converting.

Strange.
Run a new campaign. Send me your broken Oakleys, etc and save 25-40% off a pair of 8's!

McS9Evs.jpg

Or send a picture next to your broken oakleys, etc and receive a 10% rebate

My pic is crap but I think you get the point. Broken Oakleys - 8's being pushed further than any other sunglasses will go.

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
I have no idea what's going on. FB isn't converting. IG isn't converting.

Strange.

Don't panic - this happens. My sales are a bit slow lately as well.

Couple things - you may have exhausted your audience on Facebook, for now. You either need to lay off FB for a while, find a new audience, and/or find a new ANGLE.

I don't know much about converting and selling on IG, but I'd imagine the same applies for FB.

If you aren't emailing your existing customers, start now.

I would bet wholesaling deals could be the biggest winner for you.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Run a new campaign. Send me your broken Oakleys, etc and save 25-40% off a pair of 8's!

McS9Evs.jpg

Or send a picture next to your broken oakleys, etc and receive a 10% rebate

My pic is crap but I think you get the point. Broken Oakleys - 8's being pushed further than any other sunglasses will go.

FN fabulous idea. Any broken upmarket brand for that matter.

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
FN fabulous idea. Any broken upmarket brand for that matter.
Cheers and thanks for the $$$.I think it would be a brilliant plan because his "moto" is about strength. Call out the competition on their shitty quality / durability. Offering an exchange program should grab people's attention even if they don't own a pair of the other top brands. Oakley, Wileyx, etc. Play your cards right and get some media coverage.

Vic - If you want a better quality pic of my 8's next to my broken Oakleys let me know. I may discretely place my product in the photo though :D

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling
I've noticed Facebook ads have been performing more poorly. And there Reach is much more expensive.

Yes it's Q4, nothing out of the ordinary,
Advertisers start spending more for holiday season,
CPC rises, FB getting in the end of year earnings.

http://www.adweek.com/socialtimes/report-facebook-global-ad-spend-rises-in-q4-2014/61386
http://marketingland.com/facebook-advertisers-doubled-ad-spend-in-q4-kenshoo-71314

What I'd do is test changing up angles like @JasonR said,
and also I'd start targeting internationally, if your fulfillment/margin permits.

I'd run with that idea in Australia/NZ, down south.
High purchasing power, lower CPCs, relatively less competitive market.

Awesome angle by @Jake, should crush

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
I'd run with that idea in Australia/NZ, down south.
High purchasing power, lower CPCs, relatively less competitive market.
Summer is approaching as well.I haven't done the research but I imagine more sunglasses sell in the warmer months. So hitting Australia/NZ now could work.

Maybe shift the IG strategy over to popular Snowboarders?

SYK

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Mar 24, 2014
I'm an Australian. I can confirm it is almost summer and we get as much sunshine as anywhere in the world.

I can also confirm for the most part we're a pretty affluent bunch. On average, we get paid a heap more than the US. Everything here also costs a lot more. So a $120-150 pair of sunnies (ignoring exchange rate) is decent.

If you're targetting us southern hemisphere folks, starting with sports goers could be a good place. We spend most summer watching sport. The V8 Super Cars seem a ready-made customer base.

We also have a massive mining industry full of high-spending 20-somethings earning 3-4x what they would in the non-mining economy. Your sunnies would be the perfect addition to the rough-and-tumble mining site on the face of miners who spend their money as soon as it hits their account.

TJPB

Defy Ordinary
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jun 9, 2012
Colorado
Sneak Peek.
VAPOR design (name may change, not sure yet)
Release date is summer 2016
Only showing a couple pics and color combos. These are NOT final. Few small changes are needed.
They look pretty cool when the arms are closed. I worked hard on the interlocking area.
The inside looks pretty cool too, I'll show a couple inside shots later on.
Cheers

Nice @Vick I like them! One suggestion...and this is only my opinion...currently you have around 8 individual logo hits (I'm assuming the other side has 4 also.) While I'm all for brand promotion, this is overkill and probably decreases sales. Personally, I prefer 1 logo hit...maybe keep the spelled out eights on the temples and lose the "8" and the duplicate "eight" above the eye.

Again, just my opinion...awesome design otherwise.

Travis Phipps

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Apr 17, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks @RHL for bringing me into this thread.

I only read the part about Google reaching out to you.

I can echo @Andy Black and @eliquid 's thoughts, concerns, and skepticism.

AdWords spend is a VERY personal subject. That was just a sales pitch that they sent out to tens of thousands of people/accounts.

We have a Google Rep and we manage about $750k/month in ad spend...and our Google Rep still pretty much sucks. I can't imagine letting some schmo at Google setup my campaigns and entrust them with my marketing budget.

I do believe Google AdWords can be and often times is an excellent source of traffic, but each and every account needs its own evaluation.

I don't think there is anything wrong at all with spending $500/day...hell, we have accounts that have spent $30,000/day...but you better believe every dime spent was profitable. I'll write a blank check to Google, Bing, Facebook...as long as it meets my ROAS (return on ad spend), ROI, or CPA requirements.

As far as sales dropping...it could be anything. There are way too many factors to determine what may be causing your temporary (hopefully) drop in sales. There were some good ideas suggested by @JasonR ...freshen things up, get creative (I love the broken oakley buy-back program), etc.

Anyway, good luck...and keep us updated.

T

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
So someone from this forum has copied my business identically.
I just came across an Ad on Instagram from one of the guys I do ads with.
this is the persons website http://www.striyker.com/
CHECK out there website, its remarkable how much of it they copied, even the 3 images at the top are shaped the same. wow
I dont know who the person is, but it's pretty obvious they copied me on everything.
And it has to have come from this thread. because there is just way to much stuff this person knows.
It's a shame I have to so this, but @MJ DeMarco can this thread be deleted? What can be done? I guess this is the chance I take when being so candid on my business. But Eight is becoming very successful, I feel that there is too much info in here for copycats.
I will start a new thread after which, and not be so candid with my business operations.
The person even called his shades F1 he even uses the same theme as me.

Some people have no class or imagination. Pathetic.

Now I know how @biophase felt when someone ripped his Soap biz.

This person even does Instagram advertising like me. They have copied me to a T

If the thread can't be deleted I understand.

Anyone know who this guy is???

UPDATE:

This person registered the domain
https://who.godaddy.com/whoisstd.as...IvsLLyIvLQ5R5TOdz4CI7hFscn lrcne2haJLE2ZHpRC/

Last edited:

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
I
So someone from this forum has copied my business identically.
I just came across an Ad on Instagram from one of the guys I do ads with.
this is the persons website http://www.striyker.com/
CHECK out there website, its remarkable how much of it they copied, even the 3 images at the top are shaped the same. wow
I dont know who the person is, but it's pretty obvious they copied me on everything.
And it has to have come from this thread. because there is just way to much stuff this person knows.
It's a shame I have to so this, but @MJ DeMarco can this thread be deleted? What can be done? I guess this is the chance I take when being so candid on my business. But Eight is becoming very successful, I feel that there is too much info in here for copycats.
I will start a new thread after which, and not be so candid with my business operations.
The person even called his shades F1 he even uses the same theme as me.

Some people have no class or imagination. Pathetic.

Now I know how @biophase felt when someone ripped his Soap biz.

This person even does Instagram advertising like me. They have copied me to a T

If the thread can't be deleted I understand.

Anyone know who this guy is???

UPDATE:

This person registered the domain
https://who.godaddy.com/whoisstd.aspx?domain=striyker.com&prog_id=GoDaddy&k=zsazbIbYl/ASiZpPh TIvsLLyIvLQ5R5TOdz4CI7hFscn lrcne2haJLE2ZHpRC/

In case the a**hole tries to sign up for domain privacy:

WHOIS search results for:STRIYKER.COM(Registered)
Is this your
domain?
GO
Add hosting, email and more.
Want to buy
this domain?
GO
Get it with our Domain Buy service.

Domain Name: STRIYKER.COM
Registry Domain ID: 1953319252_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.godaddy.com
Registrar URL: http://www.godaddy.com
Update Date: 2015-08-16T01:42:50Z
Creation Date: 2015-08-16T01:42:50Z
Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2016-08-16T01:42:50Z
Registrar: GoDaddy.com, LLC
Registrar IANA ID: 146
Registrar Abuse Contact Email: abuse@godaddy.com
Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: +1.4806242505
Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited http://www.icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
Domain Status: clientUpdateProhibited http://www.icann.org/epp#clientUpdateProhibited
Domain Status: clientRenewProhibited http://www.icann.org/epp#clientRenewProhibited
Domain Status: clientDeleteProhibited http://www.icann.org/epp#clientDeleteProhibited
Registry Registrant ID:
Registrant Name: Christian Conlon
Registrant Organization:
Registrant Street: 104 Fred Street
Registrant City: Old Forge
Registrant State/Province: Pennsylvania
Registrant Postal Code: 18518
Registrant Country: United States
Registrant Phone: +1.5704578614
Registrant Phone Ext:
Registrant Fax:
Registrant Fax Ext:
Registrant Email: conlon3392@gmail.com
Registry Admin ID:
Admin Name: Christian Conlon
Admin Organization:
Admin Street: 104 Fred Street
Admin City: Old Forge
Admin State/Province: Pennsylvania
Admin Postal Code: 18518
Admin Country: United States
Admin Phone: +1.5704578614
Admin Phone Ext:
Admin Fax:
Admin Fax Ext:
Admin Email: conlon3392@gmail.com
Registry Tech ID:

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
Damn ! I'm sorry to read that bro.

I don't know him...but with the information you provided, he will be known soon I'm sure.

From people I've talked with and things I've read...copycats happen FAST !

No worries for you. Keep doing what you're doing...which is killing it ! So they chase you...so what. Some things..you just can't catch.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I'm running out the door but when I get back I'll try to trace back the account to see if it's someone here.

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
Oh man....I just looked at his site and glasses. Well, my Mom always said if I don't have something good to say then don't say anything. :muted:

IceCreamKid

With Great Power Comes Great Electricity Bill
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,185%
Jun 8, 2010
California
Damn man, I'm really sorry to see this happen to you. This was one of my favorite threads because I got to see the process of you achieving your freedom including all of the "failures" and wins in glorifying detail.

Gonna be sad if/when this thread gets taken down, but I completely understand your request. Respect to you, good sir.

Keep hustling. This biz came from your heart and that is one thing that cannot be duplicated. Only imitated.

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
Wow, how low of any person it is to do that sort of thing. But - even more low if indeed it is one of "our own" here on the forum. I hope we can get to the bottom of who this is.

Pathetic.

This thread is golden though, but I do also understand if you feel like it should be removed.

ddall

continuous self-improvement
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
402%
Dec 5, 2013
Toronto, ON
I'm not too worried.

the best way to fight this crap, is to just be better.

Great attitude Vick. That is a winners mantra.

Copying or mimicking business models and products will never stop, it is the nature of competition. There is so such thing as safety or stability in the market place, Kaizen, continuous improvement. I've had images stolen, my copy copied multiple times...it is frustrating but only natural, a sign you are doing something right. I recently read "Losing the Signal", about RIM's downfall. Great example of how competition does not cease, ever, and if you do not innovate, or pivot, or tackle new strategies you will lose or fall behind.

Once you start trying to keep up with the competition is when you lose sight of new territory, new growth opportunities. You want to look ahead, always improving and spending only minimal time keeping tabs on competitors.

It is lazy and dishonorable what this individual did, but given how unoriginal they are, I would say it is nothing to fear. They dont have the magic sauce. Perhaps let this spur you onwards even further, to greater heights of innovation and value creation. Sometimes a little competition is all it takes to bring the best out of people and organizations (BMW vs Mercedes, NASA vs Soviet Space Program,etc). Use it as rocket fuel to stoke your inner fire and keep moving forward, faster and meaner!

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
Copying or mimicking business models and products will never stop, it is the nature of competition. There is so such thing as safety or stability in the market place, Kaizen, continuous improvement.

In that vein, this article is very insightful (and ridiculously long, but worth the read):

http://waitbutwhy.com/2015/11/the-cook-and-the-chef-musks-secret-sauce.html

Short version - this guy is a "cook" because he's a copycat. Copiers aren't inventive enough to do crazy wacky things and think outside the box. That's why they copy. You're a "chef". You make something from nothing. That's why this is really nothing to be worried about - though it is really annoying.

I really don't look at this as a reason for people to feel like they can't share...though I understand why many would not. You've done so many really hard things, it's going to be really hard for this guy to catch up, unless you really drop the ball.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.