The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

65 year old beginner

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hello everyone. I'm Jaxon. I'm so looking forward to benefiting from the knowledge and wisdom that so many of you have to share!
Welcome Jaxon, and we’re looking forward to learning from you too.

What have you been up to? What are you a beginner at?

Bertram

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 25, 2015
Virginia
Hi Jaxon, well with a thread title like that, my guess is that several hundred people here beyond forty-nine years old are feeling a little better. I'm closer to your age than to the teen prodigies.
What do you mean by "A Beginner?"
Cheers.

Last edited:

Madame Peccato

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Jul 14, 2018
Morbegno, Italy
Welcome Jaxon!

Tell us more about yourself, or about what you're doing.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jaxon

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Nov 6, 2019
Welcome Jaxon, and we’re looking forward to learning from you too.

What have you been up to? What are you a beginner at?
Thank you Andy, Bertram and Madame Pecatto for the welcome messages.
I am "new" in the sense that I have never done any business online, outside of posting ads on Craigslist. I've recently been researching different models of online marketing such as affiliates and using landing pages to increase local service providers revenues. I was drawn much more to the latter when I stumbled onto your forum. Many of the posts, and discussion subjects opened my eyes to the potential opportunities to earn while helping someone who needs that help.
Andy, your very straight forward, no nonsense way of looking at what any business is all about particularly impressed.
My wife and I are becoming foster parents in the very near future. One of the requirements, once we take a child into our home, is that they see both a doctor and a dentist for check-ups within a short period; doctor in 3, and dentist within 30. I had found in my research the idea of building and ranking websites for such services, and a bell went off. Granted, it is a relatively small niche, but one that was not the only value that I could offer to those professional providers. Andy...one of your posts on that subject made me understand the simple principle of helping others and letting the rest fall in place was another "AH HA" moment. If I remember the post, it went something like: "create a paid search campaign; build the site; contact the leads; contact the providers; put the two together; and follow up" I know that's not exact, but it just made so much sense that I decided to join the forum to get more insight like yours.
Without boring you with a nearly 50 year history of starting and running small businesses, I'll just say thanks again for welcoming me, and I look forward to what I hope can be a new chapter in a very fortunate life.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Thank you Andy, Bertram and Madame Pecatto for the welcome messages.
I am "new" in the sense that I have never done any business online, outside of posting ads on Craigslist. I've recently been researching different models of online marketing such as affiliates and using landing pages to increase local service providers revenues. I was drawn much more to the latter when I stumbled onto your forum. Many of the posts, and discussion subjects opened my eyes to the potential opportunities to earn while helping someone who needs that help.
Andy, your very straight forward, no nonsense way of looking at what any business is all about particularly impressed.
My wife and I are becoming foster parents in the very near future. One of the requirements, once we take a child into our home, is that they see both a doctor and a dentist for check-ups within a short period; doctor in 3, and dentist within 30. I had found in my research the idea of building and ranking websites for such services, and a bell went off. Granted, it is a relatively small niche, but one that was not the only value that I could offer to those professional providers. Andy...one of your posts on that subject made me understand the simple principle of helping others and letting the rest fall in place was another "AH HA" moment. If I remember the post, it went something like: "create a paid search campaign; build the site; contact the leads; contact the providers; put the two together; and follow up" I know that's not exact, but it just made so much sense that I decided to join the forum to get more insight like yours.
Without boring you with a nearly 50 year history of starting and running small businesses, I'll just say thanks again for welcoming me, and I look forward to what I hope can be a new chapter in a very fortunate life.
Wow. Good for you fostering. That’s an amazing act of giving. Respect.

Yes, you can generate a lead for a business first and then contact them with it. I’ve done that a few times.

What’s more common (for me?) is for a business to approach me and for me to try to get them leads.

Either way can work to get one side of the market. At the end of the day though we’re match-making, so will need to get both sides regardless of which side we start with.

This call might interest you:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Jaxon

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Nov 6, 2019
Wow. Good for you fostering. That’s an amazing act of giving. Respect.

Yes, you can generate a lead for a business first and then contact them with it. I’ve done that a few times.

What’s more common (for me?) is for a business to approach me and for me to try to get them leads.

Both ways can work. At the end of the day we’re match-making, so will need to get both sides regardless of which side we start with.

This call might interest you:
Thanks so much. I listened to the conversation, and even though I didn't understand everything the two of you discussed, (remember, I'm the 65 year old beginner, and across the pond) I felt like you were talking to me. The discussion about the less than sophisticated website made me think "That website, or landing page was perfect for its purpose". That prospect was not looking for a good website designer, but rather a good electrician. Any more flashy or sophisticated, it occurred to me, might even lead that prospect to think...this guy spends too much on advertising to remain competitive with similarly skilled electricians, plumbers...etc. Do my thoughts on that make sense to you? Am I thinking a little more like I need to to even begin to learn some new tricks for an old dog? (By the way, I always have and still do get excited about any new journey)

Jaxon

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Nov 6, 2019
Welcome Jaxon!
Thank you very much, Mr. DeMarco. I'm enjoying my first day on the forum. I've got miles to travel just to understand some of the vernacular here, but what the hell, I plan on living at least another 65 years. Why not?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Thanks so much. I listened to the conversation, and even though I didn't understand everything the two of you discussed, (remember, I'm the 65 year old beginner, and across the pond) I felt like you were talking to me. The discussion about the less than sophisticated website made me think "That website, or landing page was perfect for its purpose". That prospect was not looking for a good website designer, but rather a good electrician. Any more flashy or sophisticated, it occurred to me, might even lead that prospect to think...this guy spends too much on advertising to remain competitive with similarly skilled electricians, plumbers...etc. Do my thoughts on that make sense to you? Am I thinking a little more like I need to to even begin to learn some new tricks for an old dog? (By the way, I always have and still do get excited about any new journey)
Yes, sometimes a business can have a website that is too “pretty” or otherwise doesn’t feel right for the visitor.

In the case of tradesmen and construction, there’s so many poorly designed websites that knocking up an ugly one quickly can still work. It doesn’t mean that a good designer couldn’t make it work even better - if they considered what factors make a visitor trust sites in that industry.

Knocking up an ugly website for a wedding venue or a professional photographer wouldn’t work as well. Visitors want and need to be wowed by the website and images.

Feel free to ask questions about that call with @Contrarian in its thread.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
That prospect was not looking for a good website designer, but rather a good electrician.
Boom. What a great way of saying it. Designers and engineers often do things because they can, rather then considering the business end goal.

I sometimes have to ask folks: “Do you want a pretty website, or a pretty bank balance?”

Jaxon

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Nov 6, 2019
Boom. What a great way of saying it. Designers and engineers often do things because they can, rather then considering the business end goal.

I sometimes have to ask folks: “Do you want a pretty website, or a pretty bank balance?”
Thanks Andy. In keeping with your theme of "Just go help someone today", I'm working on a paid search campaign for a young electrician who's doing some work at my house right now. However, being such a rookie, I'm a little concerned about the cost of Google ads, and of course, my total spend. The search term will be short and sweet...like "electrician in (my town)". He's not even aware that I'm working on it yet. Can you help with an idea of about what I should budget for the campaign spend to bee profitable?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Thanks Andy. In keeping with your theme of "Just go help someone today", I'm working on a paid search campaign for a young electrician who's doing some work at my house right now. However, being such a rookie, I'm a little concerned about the cost of Google ads, and of course, my total spend. The search term will be short and sweet...like "electrician in (my town)". He's not even aware that I'm working on it yet. Can you help with an idea of about what I should budget for the campaign spend to bee profitable?
Set a budget of $5/day or $10/day and see how you get on.

Note that we don’t get profitable until revenue exceeds cost, and that’s not a function of spending more. Buy impressions first, then clicks, then conversions. Then try to get profitable ... without spending too much.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...