The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

60 Days of 60 Minutes of Meditation - Let's Not Do Anything Together

Madame Peccato

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Jul 14, 2018
Morbegno, Italy
Day 26
I slept poorly which made the session difficult. I lost focus a lot and I've only managed to enjoy the silence for a couple of minutes.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andreas

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jul 22, 2011
Report back. I want to see your report after meditating for an hour.
I came back from work, slept for an hour because I lost a lot of sleep last night and then I set out to meditate. I left the light in my room turned on and tried to leave my eyes open as much as I could. I then used a very powerful stimulant to make sure I keep myself awake. This time, I ingested no substance. I just used two drops of rosemary essential oil on my shirt to elevate circulation a bit.

I managed to sit for an hour and I broke stillness (of my body) two times during my session to adjust my posture.

I will do 20+ hours of fasting for a few days and then continue with juice fasting so I can kick the sugar out of my system and have more energy. I can no longer ignore that anymore. Plus I prepared a tincture to lower sugar cravings as well.

I will also deal with a few issues with the online store I recently started working on and make my big move next week.

This will be one of the most uncomfortable transitions, so wish me strength to overcome this.

As far as meditation goes, I still have a full stash of essential oils to keep me awake for the upcoming hour long sessions.

Bora.s

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
303%
Aug 12, 2018
Day 9
There isn't much to say, just meditating...reading, still contemplating about who I am, the inner talking, my thoughts or my feelings. I try to let go of all things / thoughts that suddenly appear.

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013
Day 11

Decent session, I managed to kick into focus surprisingly quickly today.

Madame Peccato

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Jul 14, 2018
Morbegno, Italy
Day 27
My mind was quiet today but I put little effort from my part to focus.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
May 1, 2011
As far as meditation goes, I still have a full stash of essential oils to keep me awake for the upcoming hour long sessions.

Good luck. Hopefully you won't need them anymore soon and will be able to stay awake naturally.

Day 9
There isn't much to say, just meditating...reading, still contemplating about who I am, the inner talking, my thoughts or my feelings. I try to let go of all things / thoughts that suddenly appear.

That's pretty much what an average session feels like. You're doing well.

Day 11

Decent session, I managed to kick into focus surprisingly quickly today.

Yeah, on some days it's like magic when you're 100% focused almost right after closing your eyes.

I failed miserably at doing an hour of clear-mind meditation.

If mindfulness counts, then I've been doing that daily,

What do you mean by clear-mind meditation?

Day 27
My mind was quiet today but I put little effort from my part to focus.

Good stuff, you're almost halfway through!

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
May 1, 2011
I meant no-thought meditation...

The type where you continue to gently clear your mind as thoughts rush in.

And what do you mean by "failing miserably?"

Voice Angel

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Aug 12, 2019
And what do you mean by "failing miserably?"
Well I couldn't really clear my mind of thoughts.

In fact, I ended up doing a lot of planning or daydreaming...

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
May 1, 2011
Well I couldn't really clear my mind of thoughts.

Well and you won't... unless you're a rare enlightened being.

Let me quote Michael A. Singer here:

If I throw a rock into the water, there will be ripples. What can I do about it? You can just honor that rocks in water cause ripples and go about your business, what you were doing before the rock got thrown in. Keep doing it after the rock got thrown it. Don't let the ripples distract you. They'll go away by themselves.

In other words, this isn't about clearing your mind of thoughts but clearing yourself of reacting to them. So whenever you start planning or daydreaming, just gently go back to the center. It doesn't matter if 99% of your session you plan or daydream as long as you refocus whenever you realize you were distracted by the ripples.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
May 1, 2011

Voice Angel

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Aug 12, 2019
Well and you won't... unless you're a rare enlightened being.

Let me quote Michael A. Singer here:

If I throw a rock into the water, there will be ripples. What can I do about it? You can just honor that rocks in water cause ripples and go about your business, what you were doing before the rock got thrown in. Keep doing it after the rock got thrown it. Don't let the ripples distract you. They'll go away by themselves.

In other words, this isn't about clearing your mind of thoughts but clearing yourself of reacting to them. So whenever you start planning or daydreaming, just gently go back to the center. It doesn't matter if 99% of your session you plan or daydream as long as you refocus whenever you realize you were distracted by the ripples.
Love this, thank you.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
May 1, 2011
It really is. I have been working at meditation the last 3 years. But with up and downs. This is the first time that i am doing it everyday for a hour. It is really a gamechanger, did you continu with a hour daily after the 60 days?

Wow, then it's even better that this time it's working so well for you!

Yes, I'm still doing it. Completed day 69 today.

If you haven't seen my post with observations after 60 days, here it is:

Jesper_Boostd

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jan 27, 2021
Wow, then it's even better that this time it's working so well for you!

Yes, I'm still doing it. Completed day 69 today.

If you haven't seen my post with observations after 60 days, here it is:
Good read! Cheers and thanks my man

Andreas

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jul 22, 2011
I'm getting on the challenge as well.

Day 2 for me. I wanted to try a slightly new posture, but I ended up adjusting 3-4 times in my session, so achieving stillness is still a challenge. I think next time I will do better. I was also tempted to quit earlier, but I stuck with it.

I have never driven an exotic car, but I would imagine that driving one in a road filled with rocks and pebbles and no tarmac is what my mind was experiencing. Going from one thought to another rapidly and constantly have to relax my body and my face.

For some reason I have a lot of tension stored and it's just begging to come out all at once. Alan Wallace stated that meditation is like an expedition, because things that you didn't know where there keep surfacing.

Anyway, I also completed day 1 of fasting for 20 hours and it's really hard. The tincture helped me to suppress the sugar cravings, but there is still a lot of hunger lingering from detox. Improving my nutrition is mandatory and non-negotiable since it pretty much affects every other area in my life.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
May 1, 2011
You're doing great @Andreas, these are really solid observations already.

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013
Day 12

Coffee made it much harder for me to keep focus, not the best session.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
  • notice what's inside of us (few people ever get to stop to watch the chaos in their heads),
  • learn that we don't have to follow/act on the thoughts/emotions that we think/feel (the act of watching them is essentially what the meditative practice is about),
  • most importantly: that we aren't our minds. We're the consciousness that happens to be observing the mind. Just like you aren't your leg, so you aren't your mind (which is very, very hard to understand and I'm still struggling with this concept; yet know deep down that it's true).

In other words, this isn't about clearing your mind of thoughts but clearing yourself of reacting to them.

This is really wonderful stuff.

Madame Peccato

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Jul 14, 2018
Morbegno, Italy
Day 28
Peaceful session. Time flew. I observed my thoughts and saw them dissipate.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
May 1, 2011
Conquering The Mind-Kapil Gupta and Naval Ravikant

Guys I highly recommend this conversation!

Good stuff. Best parts:

Kapil: Freedom is freedom from the mind. The only reason that any human being is not free is because of his mind. It is the mind which creates his tortures. It is the mind which creates his anxiety. It is the mind which creates his conflicts. It is the mind which creates his rules. All that he is confined by, all that he is imprisoned by, is the mind. Not anything else.

Naval: When I was young, I wanted freedom, but I wanted freedom in the sense that I didn’t want to be trapped inside the house. I wanted to live wherever I wanted. I wanted to be able to make money. I wanted to have a girlfriend. I wanted to go to a place where I could do whatever I wanted whenever I wanted. That’s what I wanted. In my mind, freedom was just getting away from physical constraints, material constraints. I got all that stuff. I traveled the whole world. I ate all the food. I made all the money. I got all the things that I wanted in life.

Yet, the quality of my life did not change that much. The quality of my moment-to-moment experience didn’t change that much. That’s because I hadn’t changed that much. My internal experience was still very much the same. Every time I got something, I wanted the next thing and wanted the next thing and wanted the next thing. All the same pains, tortures, and miseries were still there. Maybe some were better. Obviously, it’s better to be rich than to be poor. It’s better to be healthy than to be sick. But beyond a certain point, my baseline level of peace had not changed that much.

Then I started making a transition to what you’re talking about. Realizing that a lot of these traps were in my mind. But you’ve just jumped all the way. You’re saying, “No, it’s all from the mind from the very beginning.”

Naval: What we’re really talking about here is that all of the problems that we struggle with, we tend to externalize. We tend to solve them in the external world. There are certain ones that are practical in the external world: Do I have food? Do I have shelter? Those kinds of things. But beyond a certain basic level, a lot of the problems we’re trying to solve in the external world are actually internal problems. And even if we manage to solve the current manifestation in the external world, the new problem will just pop up tomorrow in the external world.

Kapil: “There is no other” means that there’s no problem outside of yourself and that all conflict is self-conflict. These things in which pain arises from a circumstance aren’t really caused by the circumstance. The circumstance does not cause pain, it reveals it. If someone’s intention is that “I wanted to inspire him,” that’s a problem. If the intention is that “I didn’t care to inspire him or not,” then that’s not a problem.

The problem arises in the individual because if he tried to inspire, then that came from a place of ego. Ego isn’t bad, but if a person tries to inspire someone, they’re really trying to attain significance in their own mind. That isn’t bad, either. The problem is it creates problems. That’s the “badness.” If you did not care whether you inspired or not, then you’d be free.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Anyone familiar with this?

I've had an old book in my library from 1977 called the Silva Mind Control Method -- yes, 1977! I started reading it and it is pretty interesting, dealing with using meditation to solve problems, Alpha brain waves and some other things. Looks like it's been around for decades, and still continues today despite Mr. Silva's death many years ago.

Andreas

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jul 22, 2011
Day 3 Complete and I just realized how my mind likes to ride off road in a Lamborghini (not the SUV, the v12 with the super tight suspension). The good thing is that I only broke my posture once. For now, the 1 hour meditation is tiring, but during this session I when I tried to concentrate on counting 1 and 2 on the inhale and exhale, my thoughts kept interfering and I had to keep going back.

The good news is that doing quick 10 or 15 minute sessions does not seem intimidating since I pulled an hour. For now, I will just commit to a straight hour every day for 60 days and then I will do more. I heard that a few people went on meditation retreats for months and did 4 hours a day until they were finally able to feel that delicious calm focus that most of us can only achieve with drugs, but as tempting as it sounds, I don't want to compare my progress with these people.

For those who would like a good book on meditation that gives clear instructions and explanations without all the spiritual jargon, I recommend 'The Attention Revolution' by Alan Wallace if it wasn't mentioned thus far.

P.S Thanks to MTF for the encouragement and all the positive feedback.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
May 1, 2011
The good thing is that I only broke my posture once.

Don't worry about this. Change your position whenever you need to. This isn't an exercise in how long you can be uncomfortable physically.

For now, I will just commit to a straight hour every day for 60 days and then I will do more. I heard that a few people went on meditation retreats for months and did 4 hours a day until they were finally able to feel that delicious calm focus that most of us can only achieve with drugs, but as tempting as it sounds, I don't want to compare my progress with these people.

And if after 60 days you stick to one hour a day, that's okay, too. I'm still doing one hour and for now probably won't increase it. It's more important to do it daily than do a lot intermittently.

What you can do to gain a deeper understanding is read Michael A. Singer's work and practice his teachings in your daily life. This is even better than meditation for cultivating calmness because you practice as you're exposed to stuff that disturbs you (it's easier to stay calm if you meditate alone at home, much harder when the trigger is right in front of you).

P.S Thanks to MTF for the encouragement and all the positive feedback.

You're welcome! I appreciate you sharing your thoughts.

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013
Day 13

Good session today, it is beginning to become a little easier to enter a silent state.

Madame Peccato

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Jul 14, 2018
Morbegno, Italy
Day 29
Ok session. I could see my thoughts and didn't care at all about them. I did follow through on some of them though.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.