The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

60 Days of 60 Minutes of Meditation - Let's Not Do Anything Together

Matua

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
380%
Oct 4, 2020
Virginia
Day 2

It was difficult today, but I found some insights about my mind I didn't really think about:

- My thoughts wanted to imagine the future and get me lost in thought to distract myself from the present.
- "When's that dang timer gonna go off?"
- Felt anxious and the fear of "Did I turn the alarm on?"

Whether it's being addicted to my mind, fear of things that may or may not happen in the future, or doing things before time runs out then I'd be happy, I let these thoughts go and returned back to the present-- using all of my senses to perceive the environment and my self.

I recommend to anyone to check out a video from Eckhart Tolle about How Do We Break The Habit Of Excessive Thinking?

Here's a quote from the video:
Many people are addicted to all kinds of things. Thinking is one of the greatest addictions known to man. You can't stop thinking, it's like you can't stop drinking, you can't stop smoking, you can't stop eating. It's a pseudo sense of self.

Presence is a state of no thought. It can still be in the background even when thinking is happening and
you can still not be completely involved in thinking. Thinking loses the ability to create havoc in your life and confuse you.

Your choice then is not to understand more, or bring some intellectual analysis to the practice, but to practice the state of not thinking-- which can be arrived at by various ways as you probably know: If you don't think about it, just do it. Becoming more aware of the present moment and accepting it as it is, slows down the overactive mind. Because a lot of the overactivity of the mind is an attempt to get away from the simplicity of the present moment. So become more aware of the present moment as a practice. ~ Eckhart Tolle

Here comes Day 3 of not doing anything!

Then i realise if i make this noise ( like mmmm , vibration kind) i get very alert instantly.
Doing this really helps out a lot for me, even outside of meditation. Any thought that gets me to overthink, I override and force push that sucker by making that (mmmm) vibration sound. It's hypnotic to listen to your vocals drumming internally.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Voice Angel

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Aug 12, 2019
What a great idea!

I love meditation and have used it since childhood. There are so many interesting ways to meditate. My favorites are:

Breathwork - breathe in deeply counting to 4 and exhale counting to 6

Walking meditations – taking in the sights, sounds, colors and textures when going for a 45 min walk

Guided meditations – I’m sensitive to the person’s voice so I’m picky about those. (I create guided meditations myself)

I’m in for this challenge, even though I’m a day late!

The “sitting in quiet” meditation is very powerful. I haven’t done that for a while so I’m looking forward to it!

Voice Angel

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Aug 12, 2019
One thing I’ve noticed from doing this type of meditation in the past is that when you get used to the sitting in contemplation or simple silence, a sensation of joy feels like it’s rising from the abdominal area. It’s a very lovely feeling.

Interested in what you all experience from this…

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Great job everyone!

You've got a pretty good stretching routine you can go into for this @MTF? Have you used any of the pso-rite devices? Just got one and it's been heaven for muscles.

My hips get tight when I sit for too long. It's one of the most tense parts of my body. I'm stretching them almost every day in a full squat position.

I’m in for this challenge, even though I’m a day late!

Awesome, welcome!

S.Y.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 4, 2017
Canada
Thanks for sharing your tips!
This is really helpful @S.Y.! Thank you!

And completely relatable to the rest of life- we get so caught up in our own constructs of an experience that we often forget to stop and look around.

Changing perspectives is an incredible super tool in life. This type of meditation could be as empowering as removing the governor from my scooter. ; )

Glad it helps.

The beauty of meditating is that eventually, you get to the point where you can be much more mindful. And then a walk can become a walking meditation. Eating can become mindful eating. And the best for me, being with people can become a deeper experience. When that chatter we are used to goes away and we can truly be present.... it is something.

Now that I volunteered to offer some tips, I feel like I need to walk the talk. At least for a bit... so here we go, am in for at least 10 days.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Day 3 completed.

The first half was almost as bad as yesterday. In the second one I had way more control and it was much better. This only shows why doing it for 60 minutes is so important. Sometimes it may take a half of your session to calm down your brain.

Now that I volunteered to offer some tips, I feel like I need to walk the talk. At least for a bit... so here we go, am in for at least 10 days.

Great!

Welcome!

Ma.Gico

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Jun 7, 2020
Germany
Day 3 completed.

Woke up very easy.
I was prety much in control. More then previous days. But i dont get any euphoric about it because i know it would fluctuate.
I have to give more power to heating because the last 1/3 of the time im kind of feeling cold.

Hasta mañana!
Gicu

Jay_Young

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Dec 15, 2020
Do you feel overwhelmed by the incessant mind chatter? Do you struggle to focus? Do desires rule your life? Are you dealing with recurring mental issues like anxiety, feelings of guilt, shame, fear, inadequacy, stress, etc.? Do you find it impossible to just stop and relax?

As entrepreneurs, we're all about taking action. We may mask our inner issues with endless hustle. We may tell ourselves that we can't afford to take a break because our competitors will get ahead. We may use solutions that address the symptom but not the core reason. For example, we may use technology to block sites that distract us. While we won't be able to access them, our desire to check them will be back once the obstacle is gone—or we'll find another, perhaps even worse outlet to meet the underlying need.

As entrepreneurs, we often ignore our mental health. We may even tell ourselves that our mental struggles are, in a twisted way, good for us.

Stress? That's a normal part of life, isn't it?

Anxiety? It's good for me as it keeps me alert.

Incessant mind chatter? This means I have a ton of ideas.

Deep down, we may know that there's something wrong if...

...we can't sit down with our friends and family and just enjoy being with them because we're constantly thinking of our business...

...we regularly feel anxious for an unknown reason...

...we can't focus on a single thing for more than a few minutes...

...we're stuck in an endless cycle of trying one thing, only to try another to then give it up and try yet another, never going anywhere...

...we have no clarity when making decisions...

...we're wasting time arguing over politics or anything else that is beyond our control.

And yet, despite all these worrying signs, we keep ignoring our mental health.

The last year has been very difficult for me. Grief, anxiety, stress, fear, rumination, inability to focus for more than a few minutes, judgment, and lack of acceptance have been ruling my life. I'm slowly going crazy, losing control over my mind.

I started seeking solutions to get myself out of this disquieting state. Which brings me to the topic of meditation.

I'll use the words of Naval Ravikant, a very successful entrepreneur, investor, and a brilliant philosopher, to explain the why and how:

source: Jorgenson, Eric. The Almanack of Naval Ravikant: A Guide to Wealth and Happiness.

If you prefer it in audio, here it is:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2kgZ1Puye8&feature=youtu.be

Naval Ravikant recommends the following practice:

I decided to follow his suggestion. And then I thought: why not get some support and do it (or rather, "not do") with fellow Fastlaners.

The rules are simple:

1. You meditate one hour a day for 60 days, ideally in the morning. You sit down and do nothing (don't use any apps or guided meditation). Naval's suggested method is:

If thoughts come, thoughts come. I’m not going to fight them. I’m not going to embrace them. I’m not going to think harder about them. I’m not going to reject them. I’m just going to sit here for an hour with my eyes closed, and I’m going to do nothing.

No focus, no mantra, no dharma, no chakras, no Buddhas, no gurus, no gratitude, no scripture, no temple, no music, no gadgets, no apps.

2. You meditate every day. If you skip a day, you go back to day 1. We want to prioritize our mental health, build momentum and turn it into a daily practice. This is akin to a workout for your mind. It won't work well if you start and stop.

3. It needs to be at least an hour (use a timer). You can't do two 30-minute sessions or four 15-minute sessions. Once you start, you keep sitting until 60 minutes pass.

To give everyone a few days to prepare, we can start on Monday, December 14. Who's in?
I meditate everyday to 'Millionaire Mindset Daily Powerful Affirmations'

Olimac21

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Dec 3, 2015
Belo Horizonte, Brasil
Day 8 here.

Not as good as yesterday but quite stable in general so all great.

I was wondering how these 1 hour meditation have influenced your energy levels throughout the day? Do you feel more energized/present because of it?

FacingReality

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Aug 15, 2019
The Netherlands
Great idea! I read the post yesterday and started today and it felt good. Although one hour is suggested I decided to build up to it so started with 15 min, I will steadily add on more minutes to get to 60.

Barracuda

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
259%
Jul 2, 2020
The Promenade Towers
I was
Do you feel overwhelmed by the incessant mind chatter? Do you struggle to focus? Do desires rule your life? Are you dealing with recurring mental issues like anxiety, feelings of guilt, shame, fear, inadequacy, stress, etc.? Do you find it impossible to just stop and relax?

As entrepreneurs, we're all about taking action. We may mask our inner issues with endless hustle. We may tell ourselves that we can't afford to take a break because our competitors will get ahead. We may use solutions that address the symptom but not the core reason. For example, we may use technology to block sites that distract us. While we won't be able to access them, our desire to check them will be back once the obstacle is gone—or we'll find another, perhaps even worse outlet to meet the underlying need.

As entrepreneurs, we often ignore our mental health. We may even tell ourselves that our mental struggles are, in a twisted way, good for us.

...we can't sit down with our friends and family and just enjoy being with them because we're constantly thinking of our business...

...we're stuck in an endless cycle of trying one thing, only to try another to then give it up and try yet another, never going anywhere...

...we're wasting time arguing over politics or anything else that is beyond our control.

The last year has been very difficult for me. Grief, anxiety, stress, fear, rumination, inability to focus for more than a few minutes, judgment, and lack of acceptance have been ruling my life. I'm slowly going crazy, losing control over my mind.

I started seeking solutions to get myself out of this disquieting state. Which brings me to the topic of meditation.

I'll use the words of Naval Ravikant, a very successful entrepreneur, investor, and a brilliant philosopher, to explain the why and how:

source: Jorgenson, Eric. The Almanack of Naval Ravikant: A Guide to Wealth and Happiness.

I decided to follow his suggestion. And then I thought: why not get some support and do it (or rather, "not do") with fellow Fastlaners.

The rules are simple:

1. You meditate one hour a day for 60 days, ideally in the morning. You sit down and do nothing (don't use any apps or guided meditation). Naval's suggested method is:

If thoughts come, thoughts come. I’m not going to fight them. I’m not going to embrace them. I’m not going to think harder about them. I’m not going to reject them. I’m just going to sit here for an hour with my eyes closed, and I’m going to do nothing.

No focus, no mantra, no dharma, no chakras, no Buddhas, no gurus, no gratitude, no scripture, no temple, no music, no gadgets, no apps.

2. You meditate every day. If you skip a day, you go back to day 1. We want to prioritize our mental health, build momentum and turn it into a daily practice. This is akin to a workout for your mind. It won't work well if you start and stop.

3. It needs to be at least an hour (use a timer). You can't do two 30-minute sessions or four 15-minute sessions. Once you start, you keep sitting until 60 minutes pass.

To give everyone a few days to prepare, we can start on Monday, December 14. Who's in?
This is just the first step. I'll use myself as an example. I have so many thoughts all day regarding various issues and always easily get distracted. Until i watched a video from Dandapani on Unwavering focus. Basically, in order to truly get the most benefit from the meditation. We think all the thoughts for that one hour, and when we are true with the meditation. We resume our day concentrating on whatever we are doing at the moment. The benefits are:
- since our energy is focused on that one hour, we can do it fully and explore all the thoughts we have, rather than if it was just hovering in our mind all day.
- we can focus fully on our day, and improve our concentration and output by fovusing on the task at hand and ignoring all the thoughts till it's that one hour in the morning

Sheens

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Jan 13, 2018
USA
Day 3 completed.

This one was significantly more calm in the sense it didn't feel like whiplash watching the thoughts go by!

Based more in the present than any future or past. Background noise was considerably louder today though it didn't cause more than momentary notices. It will be really interesting to compare the sessions with relatively little noise to those with more.. man, if I could do that with an EEG I'd be a happy little geek.
I was wondering how these 1 hour meditation have influenced your energy levels throughout the day? Do you feel more energized/present because of it?

Energy levels through the daylight hours has been awesome! Sessions are over before the sun comes up and it depends on the quality of sleep the night before for sure, but I would say it's been an energy boost until evening hits and I get drowsy.

I'm always playing around with diet and exercise as well so lots of factors in the energy levels and sleep cycles. Presently calories are restricted to 800-1000 or less, fasting 18-24 hours between with water and coffee allowed, and sugar restricted to a glass of red wine or couple berries.

Have you noticed changes in energy or in other ways after your 8 days @Olimac21 ?

How's this going for you @ZCP ?? Or are you rotating between yoga and meditation daily?

Last edited:

Vikash Patel

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Dec 15, 2020

The rules are simple:

Currently I'm sitting for 30 minutes with a timer. But continuity is missing in my routine.
So from now on, I'm in.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Day 3 completed.

Woke up very easy.
I was prety much in control. More then previous days. But i dont get any euphoric about it because i know it would fluctuate.
I have to give more power to heating because the last 1/3 of the time im kind of feeling cold.

Hasta mañana!
Gicu

Good stuff!

Not sure about energy but I think I have a little bit more focus afterward, for example when learning something.

Great idea! I read the post yesterday and started today and it felt good. Although one hour is suggested I decided to build up to it so started with 15 min, I will steadily add on more minutes to get to 60.

Don't build up, start with 60 minutes. The reason is explained in the first post but also my last update. 15 minutes is too little time to calm yourself down and enter a deeper state.

I'm in.... And starting today... I will post my progress

Welcome!

This one was significantly more calm in the sense it didn't feel like whiplash watching the thoughts go by!

Lol it's funny how each day can be so different.

Currently I'm sitting for 30 minutes with a timer. But continuity is missing in my routine.
So from now on, I'm in.

Welcome. Try 60 minutes instead of 30.

Dora Wi

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Aug 19, 2020
Hungary
It's explained in my first post, per Naval:

I recommend meditating one hour each morning because anything less is not enough time to really get deep into it.

From my own experience in a float tank, 90 minutes is best because usually it takes 20-30 minutes to settle down and start relaxing. I believe it's similar with meditation. I think that many people start with 20 minutes and get annoyed because it's not "working" but you simply need more time to get into it properly.

I meditate regularly, and in my experience the more you do it, the less time it takes to "get there".
I use a different method though where I actively think about relaxing different body parts and dealing with emotions, etc. and the length depends on how much I have to deal with / how I feel.
I struggle with doing this every day though so I find the 60 minutes for 60 days idea very inspiring! I'll definitely follow this thread. Is it okay to join if I use a different meditation technique?

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
i am so weak :(

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
I struggle with doing this every day though so I find the 60 minutes for 60 days idea very inspiring! I'll definitely follow this thread. Is it okay to join if I use a different meditation technique?

Sure. I think that's what's more important is 60 minutes rather than the meditation technique as Naval simply says "do what feels best."

i am so weak :(

What happened? How can you do better without resorting to self-criticism?

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
Today I put the alarm on 6 , awaked , put the alarm on 7 and started notdoing anything while staying in bed.
I succeeded until the alarm. Than I fell asleep again until 8.45 ;)

I don’t know, how long I will do it. I don’t recognice a big sence for me. Its making stress needing a whole hour in the morning.
My tinnitus increased in the 3 days now.

Nevertheless I go on tomorrow, the 4th day.

Matua

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
380%
Oct 4, 2020
Virginia
Day 3

This time, I allowed my thoughts to arise, but then refocused back to myself and the environment, so it's pretty much the same thing so far.

It's too early to see the benefits, but I've been more grateful and appreciative of things happening in the days since I first started this. When a week passes, I'll post what kind of things changed for better or for worse.

At the time of this post, it's currently snowing where I am, and I'm sincerely appreciating every little thing about the snow. Because I only get to see this snow only once or twice a year at best, or none at all.

Too early to say, but so far I'm aware of everything and my self reacting to the environment. If I feel fearful or anxious, I either allow it to rise up and fade away, or I shift my attention towards what's in front of me.
TL;DR - I like to think I control my self a little easier throughout the day, because of some form of meditation.

Pard

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Mar 30, 2020
Europe
Day two done.
Did it in the afternoon.
Did not move around as much,most likely because I slept properly.
Did not want to do it today but I did it anyway.

Olimac21

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Dec 3, 2015
Belo Horizonte, Brasil
Have you noticed changes in energy or in other ways after your 8 days @Olimac21 ?
A bit more focus throughout the day ,wanting to do less in other areas of my life (especially with less information or distractions) and more lucid dreams. Also because I have to wake up earlier I also feel a bit drowsy after dinner haha.

Olimac21

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Dec 3, 2015
Belo Horizonte, Brasil

Vikash Patel

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Dec 15, 2020

The rules are simple:

Interrupted by roommate after 19 minutes. I will try again the next day.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Day 4 completed.

The worst session so far. Woke up late, had some distracting problems I couldn't solve right away and this affected my mind during meditation. But the practice is the practice. We can't control how it turns out.

Olimac21

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Dec 3, 2015
Belo Horizonte, Brasil
Day 9 here.

Was decent today, I had moments of silence and half of the time I went through some "business" concepts / models I had on my mind a few years ago. A common theme I am moving towards is how to apply whatever I absorb, whether if is in a book, podcast or video.

A quote I had in my mind during the last 3 days from Bruce Lee:

"I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.”

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.