The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

25 year old Software Developer

Michael Clark

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Aug 22, 2016
Scotland
Hi all,

I'm a 25 year old Software Developer from Scotland about to start reading the millionnaire fastlane. I make about £34K a year in my permanent job doing Web Development work for a software house. I have £60K left on my mortgage, £6K in a pension fund, and a bank account that's accruing interest. I think that I'm a Slowlaner by definition.

I find myself with extra time on the weekends and as I get older it gets harder for me to waste it frivolously on Netflix and gaming. I want to spend my time working on developing a business. I have many ideas such as developing content for sites such as PluralSight or YouTube, reselling and have even considered creating an online marketplace for locally sourced products - a sort of "Made in Britain" kind of thing.

The problem I'm most faced with is finding the right product/service to provide for. I want to provide something of real value that isn't just a cheap thing I bought in China and sold for slightly more money in the UK. I want my path to the fastlane to be one filled with integrity and high quality.

I probably wont post very often, but will do so when I hit milestones or need/can provide advice.

Mike

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

jazb

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Nov 24, 2013
The U.K
Might be slowlane but still in the top bracket for your age.

why not get into SaaS for small business? i mean, you are already in that line of work anyway?

Michael Clark

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Aug 22, 2016
Scotland
Might be slowlane but still in the top bracket for your age.

why not get into SaaS for small business? i mean, you are already in that line of work anyway?

Yeah, SaaS is a very general term for what nowadays is just a website with some complex functionality - essentially what I do for a living with my current employer.

I have often thought of using my development skills in making an online service that's open to the public and freely available. An online marketplace for British vendors was one of my ideas - think of an online farmers market/an amazon that tailored specifically to British vendors. Given Brexit has just happened I think it could be a good service to provide some of the smaller businesses.

There have been other suggestions from colleagues such as HR holiday systems, task/time management systems and so on. The problem is that settling on one idea out of 100 can be perplexing. To me I'd have to provide some kind of value, and my main focus is finding the right kind of industry/area that I think I should provide value to.

Last edited:

juan917

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jul 27, 2015
I was a Software Engineer by profession as well, do you have a language preference?

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hi all,

I'm a 25 year old Software Developer from Scotland about to start reading the millionnaire fastlane. I make about £34K a year in my permanent job doing Web Development work for a software house. I have £60K left on my mortgage, £6K in a pension fund, and a bank account that's accruing interest. I think that I'm a Slowlaner by definition.

I find myself with extra time on the weekends and as I get older it gets harder for me to waste it frivolously on Netflix and gaming. I want to spend my time working on developing a business. I have many ideas such as developing content for sites such as PluralSight or YouTube, reselling and have even considered creating an online marketplace for locally sourced products - a sort of "Made in Britain" kind of thing.

The problem I'm most faced with is finding the right product/service to provide for. I want to provide something of real value that isn't just a cheap thing I bought in China and sold for slightly more money in the UK. I want my path to the fastlane to be one filled with integrity and high quality.

I probably wont post very often, but will do so when I hit milestones or need/can provide advice.

Mike
Welcome to the forum @Michael Clark.

Check out the three highlighted links in my signature.

Good luck!

juan917

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jul 27, 2015
Yeah I work mainly with c# and the Microsoft web stack. I also work a little with php.

Nice I love Web API. Right now I have a Mac only so haven't been able to work with it at all but hopefully will be able to in the future as Microsoft makes it easier to dev on Mac

Dazed

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jul 27, 2016
Sheffield, UK
Hi Michael

The best way to distinguish which of your ideas will work is to see if customers are interested before investing any money.

Get a basic webpage even a coming soon page up, get some Facebook or AdWords ads running, and see how many click through, add to cart, what the cost it, etc.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...