The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

100 Unsexy Business Ideas: Name as many as you can!

MHP368

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Aug 17, 2016
Sahuarita AZ
Good idea but in my opinion, this would be a “painting business,” and you would just add this to the myriad list of services you can provide.

The way I had it explained to me was that the angle for growth was concrete and construction.

First you're filling holes in the lots you stripe , then bidding for sidewalk construction.

Definitely unsexy but you can start for a few hundred dollars.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
D

Deleted70138

Does anyone know the guy who built a Septic Tank Cleaning business, which he documented on youtube? Been searching and could not find him.

He started as a side hustle, cleaning septic tanks during lunch break, and developed it to the point that he quit his job.

Seems very appealing business due to:
1) I don't see anytime soon people stop shitting, so very valuable business for society.
2) Is done only once in couple of years, therefore customer could be price insensitive.
3) In developing and underdeveloped countries, with more environmental regulations, settlements will be required to own Septic System, instead of dumping excrement into the river. (Whole city of mine with 1m+ people dumps it's shit into the river and people still fish there)

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
Does anyone know the guy who built a Septic Tank Cleaning business, which he documented on youtube? Been searching and could not find him.

He started as a side hustle, cleaning septic tanks during lunch break, and developed it to the point that he quit his job.

1) I don't see anytime soon people stop shitting, so very valuable business for society.
2) Is done only once in couple of years, therefore customer could be price insensitive.
3) In developing and underdeveloped countries, with more environmental regulations, settlements will be required to own Septic System, instead of dumping excrement into the river. (Whole city of mine with 1m+ people dumps it's shit into the river and people still fish there)
I don't know the one you refer to, but I once hired a guy who called his business Mister Whiffy. He was always busy, and I think that with that business name he could have sold franchises in other parts of the state.

He was so casual about it that he ate his lunch while pumping out the tank. :eek:

Walter

ItsAJackal

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Oct 16, 2018

Were you able to find the videos? Did he rent the equipment every time he had a job? Or did he outright purchase it before he even began?

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Were you able to find the videos? Did he rent the equipment every time he had a job? Or did he outright purchase it before he even began?
My guy, who does ours (we have 22 septic systems) has the best equipment -- that he owns. The pumper trucks have very high-efficiency pumps that work very quickly. And his biggest problem is having a place to dump what he pumps. He has a tanker "pup" that he pumps the poop into for hauling to dump it. He has deals with different cities that have processing plants. It's considered a bio-hazard and must be carefully handled.

This year, before winter, we had him come and pump 12 systems over two days. Some of our systems have 4 households on each, so they are big systems. This fall, we'll have the rest of them pumped. We do it as a "preventative maintenance" measure. It's much easier and cheaper to do the pumping as a group rather than one at a time when they get overfilled -- especially in the winters when we have a few feet of snow. My guy does several at once on a discounted group rate. He brings a couple of trucks and his "pup" and does one right after another.

It's a high-profit business that most people would hate to do. And the threshold is high. You must have the right equipment, a dumping point, and your CDL (commercial driver's license) for starters. Some areas also require special licenses since you would be handing bio-waste. Before you jump in with both feet, go work for one of these guys. You might be able to do a joint venture where you use their equipment and business set up while you go out to find your own business base.

D

Deleted70138

No, but I remember he had a pump and cleaning tank on his old pickup. Later purchased a better pickup and operated that way, instead of purchasing an actual truck.

This business happens to be more profitable in developing countries, as people produce 1.5-2x more excrements compared to developed countries (With lowest being Germany - 120 g per day per person, while Zimbabwe and China produce approximately 300g). Countries, that has diet mostly based on grains and fiber, tend to create more excrements compared to protein based diet. Also countries with more heat need more frequent cleaning due to instability of various bacteria growing inside faecal sludge. I don't know exactly how, but somehow it's also possible to charge nothing for cleaning Septic Tanks and profit by producing fertilizer from sludge.

thanna1

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Feb 2, 2021
57. Candle Making
This is one that I have just started, however, it is a fairly saturated market so I've had to make some big changes what usually constitutes as "selling candles" to be able to make it at that top level. Can't wait to do so!

Lyinx

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Oct 28, 2019
Lancaster County, PA
No, but I remember he had a pump and cleaning tank on his old pickup. Later purchased a better pickup and operated that way, instead of purchasing an actual truck.

This business happens to be more profitable in developing countries, as people produce 1.5-2x more excrements compared to developed countries (With lowest being Germany - 120 g per day per person, while Zimbabwe and China produce approximately 300g). Countries, that has diet mostly based on grains and fiber, tend to create more excrements compared to protein based diet. Also countries with more heat need more frequent cleaning due to instability of various bacteria growing inside faecal sludge. I don't know exactly how, but somehow it's also possible to charge nothing for cleaning Septic Tanks and profit by producing fertilizer from sludge.
seems like you know quite a bit about it:)
in our township, it is required to pump every 3 years, and you must submit proof that it's been done (your pumping company will usually do that for you)

the township has a list of 2 favorite pumpers that they have, so if you can get on a township's list like that then you're set for life.

township will send you reminders if you are running late, and (I think) they list two companies that could do it if you are a new homeowner (or too lazy to google it) with their phone numbers and all their info right there...

ItsAJackal

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Oct 16, 2018
Sounds like it's something that would be impossible to get into as a side hustle. I already struggle enough dealing with my 50+ hour a week job to find time to do anything else.

Lyinx

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Oct 28, 2019
Lancaster County, PA
How do the differentiate except pricing? It seems like as terrible competition as airlines have.
I don't remember prices being on the township's paper... just the company name and phone number. I also cannot remember shopping for price, I just called the one that we used the last time and they came out and gave me a bill, simple :)

no need to differentiate as long as times are prosperous, people just need their crap pulled, plain and simple... but if times became hard I could see that could become a problem. We live in a county that has it's own economy (literally, it does not follow the US/World's view of economy, the world can be having hard times and we're still booming... the US can boom and we boom with it, but the downsides are not so big. We export a lot of labor (people own their own small businesses, but do work for people a few hours drive away, building a house/barn/etc... and then move on to the next job)

Lyinx

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Oct 28, 2019
Lancaster County, PA
Sounds like it's something that would be impossible to get into as a side hustle. I already struggle enough dealing with my 50+ hour a week job to find time to do anything else.
50+ hours sounds like a vacation. I used to do 74 hours for 3+ years until I decided to scale back and focus on my own life (now do 55 hours normally, but I'm part owner so it makes a difference)

G

Guest-5ty5s4

How do the differentiate except pricing? It seems like as terrible competition as airlines have.
Airlines have it easy when it comes to selling tickets (they don't have it easy when it comes to making a profit).

An airport has at most X number of bays and can therefore only have Y number of airlines - think of the amount of runway space etc, it is limited.

Planes fill up and tickets run out for each airline...

So if you are an airline company, once you have a spot at the airport, you are going to get customers.

Now, the big wild card is if they are profitable, because airlines are notoriously expensive cash-burning businesses (jet fuel is not cheap and neither are the safety requirements and maintenance of planes).

But the "competition" really isn't the biggest factor in such a low-supply, high-demand business with massive barriers to entry!

P789

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Sep 23, 2020
Legazpi, Philippines
Here in the Philippines, one of the Business Ideas here is operating a fleet of Jeepneys where it is one of the ways to commute in cities and rural towns as well as delivering cargo.

Also, it can be used as an rental service given that some groups rented this vehicle for their occasions like: vacations, wedding events, long-distance travel etc. and it can be used to transport goods from Point A to Point B at affordable cost.

The cost of these vehicles here range from $9962.64 (about ₱500,000) to $47820.67 (about ₱2,400,000).

One of the franchise owners here in Legazpi built a large home becuase of this business idea while operating within the City area.

This is the image for those who don't know about the jeepney.
8152868454_2d004ca212_b.jpg

1626105173781.jpeg
Last 2018, the government mandated operators to modernize their Jeepneys where the specifications should be the following:
  • had a Euro 4 engine
  • Electric
  • More Comfort for the Passenger
  • Safer
  • and more
I hope that it makes sense.

Aside from it, any car that had more than 5 seats (including driver) can be franchised like these below:
  • Bus
  • Taxi
  • Tricycle (only in the Philippines)
  • UV (Utility Van) Express (Also exclusive)
  • Tourist Van

Edit 1: Added more features.
Edit 2: Fixed grammar
Edit 3: Added another image.
Edit 4: Added the price range in USD and PHP
Edit 5: Added more cars

Last edited:

David Fitz

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 30, 2020
Ireland

There's a guy on Til Tok called the Poo Guy or something like that. His videos have thousands of views and it's just him cleaning out shitty pipes.

Probably making money but do you really want to go around cleaning shit all day?

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Probably making money but do you really want to go around cleaning shit all day?
This is a very poor, slowlane attitude for multiple reasons:

1. You should be willing to do whatever it takes to succeed (without lying or cheating).

2. You need to think bigger. Nobody must do all the work themselves forever.

David Fitz

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 30, 2020
Ireland
This is a very poor, slowlane attitude for multiple reasons:

1. You should be willing to do whatever it takes to succeed (without lying or cheating).

2. You need to think bigger. Nobody must do all the work themselves forever.

I don't agree. I think you must have some enjoyment or meaning from your work other than making money.

"You should be willing to do whatever it takes to succeed" - tell me one person in the world who absolutely hated what they done and became successful?

G

Guest-5ty5s4

- tell me one person in the world who absolutely hated what they done and became successful?
Pretty much all of them.

It's not that they "hated" it, but the things that cause you to be successful are usually not glamorous, fun, exciting, or pretty.

Yeah, it's always fun to cash a big check. I wouldn't hate that no matter what industry I am in.

Elon musk said business is "like eating glass and staring into the abyss." LOL.

I don't think "ew, this business has sewage involved" is the best attitude. I mean, you don't have to pick that business, but really, that's a very slowlane small-minded view of business and of life.

David Fitz

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 30, 2020
Ireland
Pretty much all of them.

It's not that they "hated" it, but the things that cause you to be successful are usually not glamorous, fun, exciting, or pretty.

Yeah, it's always fun to cash a big check. I wouldn't hate that no matter what industry I am in.

Elon musk said business is "like eating glass and staring into the abyss." LOL.

I don't think "ew, this business has sewage involved" is the best attitude. I mean, you don't have to pick that business, but really, that's a very slowlane small-minded view of business and of life.

If you want to wake up everyday hating your work just to get big cheques then thats your choice.

Soon you'll be the rich miserable guy.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

If you want to wake up everyday hating your work just to get big cheques then thats your choice.

Soon you'll be the rich miserable guy.
That's just not how anything works.

You WILL have to do things you dislike.

Even Tom Brady or Brad Pitt had to do things they did not enjoy in order to get where they are.

This is a ridiculous conversation! Lol.

And your arrogance/snobbiness is really something that's going to hold you back.

Last edited by a moderator:

David Fitz

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 30, 2020
Ireland
That's just not how anything works.

You WILL have to do things you dislike.

Even Tom Brady or Brad Pitt had to do things they did not enjoy in order to get where they are.

This is a ridiculous conversation! Lol
I think this conversation flew over your head so we'll leave it at that.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
I don't agree. I think you must have some enjoyment or meaning from your work other than making money.

"You should be willing to do whatever it takes to succeed" - tell me one person in the world who absolutely hated what they done and became successful?
Me.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Like in the movie, It's a Good Life, I'm my community's, George Bailey. I did NOT want to be here. I did NOT want to build this business. I pined for my old life in Los Angeles for years. I did it so I could care for my mother after she had multiple strokes. And then after I moved here, giving up everything to care for her, she died. So, I pulled up my socks and put my shoulder into it. I've built a productocity which Is very successful. I'm one busy girl running everything. I'm trying to transition to more passive income and less hands-on stuff.

Zealander

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Aug 20, 2020
European union
Some more business ideas which I noticed:

1. Setting up ikea kitchens. (It is pretty involved manual work, the cabinets are easy, installing the appliances is the hard part. Can be done on weekends on the side.

2. Buying special steaming / cleaning equipment and cleaning sofas, mattreses, renters usually need to do these when they move out in order to get deposits back. I checked and atleast in my location it is pretty good money with very low startup costa.

3. Selling custom counter tops, you basically just buy the wooden kitchen counter tops whole sale, store them and cut them up according to clients specifications, can make good money but startup costs + storage requirements are a higher barrier to entry.

Mike Ronin

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Jul 18, 2019
Coastal Alabama
There's a guy on Til Tok called the Poo Guy or something like that. His videos have thousands of views and it's just him cleaning out shitty pipes.

The last guy who pumped my tank (and owned the company with several trucks) had a good reply to my question of "how do you like smelling shit all day"? He said he got used to it and didn't even notice the smell anymore, but when he did it smelled like money.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Some more business ideas which I noticed:

1. Setting up ikea kitchens. (It is pretty involved manual work, the cabinets are easy, installing the appliances is the hard part. Can be done on weekends on the side.

2. Buying special steaming / cleaning equipment and cleaning sofas, mattreses, renters usually need to do these when they move out in order to get deposits back. I checked and atleast in my location it is pretty good money with very low startup costa.

3. Selling custom counter tops, you basically just buy the wooden kitchen counter tops whole sale, store them and cut them up according to clients specifications, can make good money but startup costs + storage requirements are a higher barrier to entry.
Have you thought about doing the assemble on Ikea stuff in general? Why don't you put together a space to do the assembly and then deliver the item to the people? They could purchase the item. You could pick it up, assemble it and deliver it to them. You'd be out your gas and time. Oh, and you'd need some tools, a pickup truck, some furniture pads, and a dolly.

Are you aware that there are upgrade kits for Ikea furniture available online? Up grading is a service you could offer.

Also, I'd do either Square or Paypal to take credit cards. You'll get more money out of it.

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
Here in the Philippines, one of the Business Ideas here is operating a fleet of Jeepneys where it is one of the ways to commute in cities and rural towns as well as delivering cargo.

Also, it can be used as an rental service given that some groups rented this vehicle for their occasions like: vacations, wedding events, long-distance travel etc. and it can be used to transport goods from Point A to Point B at affordable cost.

The cost of these vehicles here range from $9962.64 (about ₱500,000) to $47820.67 (about ₱2,400,000).

One of the franchise owners here in Legazpi built a large home becuase of this business idea while operating within the City area.

This is the image for those who don't know about the jeepney.
8152868454_2d004ca212_b.jpg

View attachment 38835
Last 2018, the government mandated operators to modernize their Jeepneys where the specifications should be the following:
  • had a Euro 4 engine
  • Electric
  • More Comfort for the Passenger
  • Safer
  • and more
I hope that it makes sense.

Edit 1: Added more features.
Edit 2: Fixed grammar
Edit 3: Added another image.
Edit 4: Added the price range in USD and PHP
Jeepneys are wild haha, definitely an experience. People just hop in and out whenever.

P789

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Sep 23, 2020
Legazpi, Philippines
Jeepneys are wild haha, definitely an experience. People just hop in and out whenever.
yes and aside from it, pre-pandemic, people can sit above the roof of that vehicle. It is common in rural areas where public transit is limited and the driver knows the risk.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.