The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

100 Unsexy Business Ideas: Name as many as you can!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I think I remember Mike Rowe on Dirty Jobs interviewing someone who cleaned up crime scenes. He was doing quite well.

Thread marked NOTABLE.

Pet Boarding/ Doggie Daycare?

That doesn't really fit -- that's a "follow your passion" and "do what you love" business so it's going to be jammed packed with passionites.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Xavier X

Gold Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Jan 1, 2016
These United States
Hmmmm. Another expert telling me what I did.

For what it's worth, this wasn't Colorado - it was Minnesota. But, I'm going to guess that the black population is even less there.

Does it matter? Mr. Statistician? Just because you pull some data out of somewhere, does that dictate results? No, it doesn't. Too many college courses can fill your tiny brain with data and prevent you from thinking clearly.

Or, not at all.

There is no syndrome here - another too many college courses dogma affecting your thinking, I'm afraid.

After EVERY bid, I obtained the results, and analyzed why I did not get the bid, OR what the profit spread was, in case I could have bid more.

Life lesson there for you. You're welcome.

Great! Since you you did due diligence and analyzed why you didn't get it, what part made you certain the blacks took it from you?

Did the results indicate who got it?

If you can confidently say each result showed a black person got it, not by way of presenting the best bid, but the "preference points," then I'll acknowledge I was wrong.

More importantly, this is a nice thread, and it would be unwise for us to derail it with nonsense.

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Great! Since you you did due diligence and analyzed why you didn't get it, what part made you certain the blacks took it from you?

Did the results indicate who got it?

If you can confidently say each result showed a black person got it, not by way of presenting the best bid, but the "preference points," then I'll acknowledge I was wrong.

More importantly, this is a nice thread, and it would be unwise for us to derail it with nonsense.

You really have a problem accepting the fact that someone might be as smart as you.

Where did you get that from?

Of COURSE I inspected, and verified, every part of the bid. Do you think I'm not capable of investigating a BID? Do you think everyone is only capable of stocking shelves at Wal-Mart - except you? You, the wizard of data mining, so whatever anyone else says, you're going to track down the truth, and let the world know the way things REALLY happened? How do you know so much? Especially about something you don't have any details about at all?

If your inflated ego allows you to come on a thread, and say what happened about an event you know nothing about, and call someone you know nothing about a liar - then, you have some pretty serious issues. But I don't have time for that - that's your circus - you deal with it. I just know I wouldn't call this a "nice" thread at all. Now take that pill and swallow it, and maybe take about 7 steps back the next time you feel like spouting off...

You don't have to acknowledge you're wrong - because you don't MATTER. I'm not responding here for your benefit - I'm doing it for other readers. Get over yourself.

Xavier X

Gold Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Jan 1, 2016
These United States
You really have a problem accepting the fact that someone might be as smart as you.

Where did you get that from?

Of COURSE I inspected, and verified, every part of the bid. Do you think I'm not capable of investigating a BID? Do you think everyone is only capable of stocking shelves at Wal-Mart - except you? You, the wizard of data mining, so whatever anyone else says, you're going to track down the truth, and let the world know the way things REALLY happened? How do you know so much? Especially about something you don't have any details about at all?

If your inflated ego allows you to come on a thread, and say what happened about an event you know nothing about, and call someone you know nothing about a liar - then, you have some pretty serious issues. But I don't have time for that - that's your circus - you deal with it. I just know I wouldn't call this a "nice" thread at all. Now take that pill and swallow it, and maybe take about 7 steps back the next time you feel like spouting off...

You don't have to acknowledge you're wrong - because you don't MATTER. I'm not responding here for your benefit - I'm doing it for other readers. Get over yourself.

Notice how you never stated the findings of your "investigation," as it relates to your claim?

Anyway, if you're of the opinion this thread isn't a nice one, then I'm not even sure what to tell you.
Then again, "nice" is subjective, so your perspective is your prerogative.

Enjoy the rest of your business pursuits and life, Agent Smith.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Any racial preference might be rightfully bullshit.
However, the point conveyed is that the chances of it being the reason HE didn't penetrate is highly unlikely.

Exactly why I said: Agreed but.

Some of the more liberal states like Minnesota, as he said he was from. I could imagine the lure of pulling a rabbit out of a hat to hide the fact that I’m a white capitalist straight man with no disabilities and feel no guilt whatsoever.

You both have a good point. The law as is, is racist against white men. Is it an excuse? Nah, just figure it out. There will always be something you have to figure out. I’m in business to get rich; not to fail a few times and bitch about unfairness.

Last edited:

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
Looks like I found my fastlane, you telling me all I had to do was be black?!?!

Pssshhhhh man MJ whyd you hide this?

Sorry y'all catch you in my mansion after I acquire all the government contract

/sarcasm

LMAO I actually missed this post. The guy I hooked up with my buddy Mike is a black vet and that is how we get the contracts. Not that he is black, but being a vet. I was brought up that every person on earth should be treated equal so him being black didn't cross my mind when I typed my original post.

On another note, I also team up with this lady. She buys things with my money, all types of things, and then she sells them and we split the profit. This morning about 8:30am she bought a storage unit full of tools and tool boxes for $400. At 11am she sold it all for $850 AND the buyer had to pick it up (he did at 6pm tonight). I have no idea why she doesn't just save up like $1000 and do it all herself and cut me out. We've been doing this for like 5 years now. She calls and tells me what she wants to buy and how much and I give her the money then she brings me back more money, usually within 48 hours. Works great for me. lol

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Notice how you never stated the findings of your "investigation," as it relates to your claim?

Anyway, if you're of the opinion this thread isn't a nice one, then I'm not even sure what to tell you.
Then again, "nice" is subjective, so your perspective is your prerogative.

Enjoy the rest of your business pursuits and life, Agent Smith.

You have a reading comprehension issue, as I stated the results. It was not an "investigation" it was collecting and analyzing bids. Not too difficult, but I see that you view everything as being difficult.

You throw up some statistics and proclaim that I'm either a liar or an idiot. And you wonder why that is not viewed as nice? And you're not even sure what to tell me. Figures. I'm not surprised in the least.

Subjective, perspective, and prerogative. Those are all pretty big words. You must be a college grad. I'm betting instructor, the way you talk and the way you elevate yourself, however subtly, in how you express yourself. Get over yourself.

Enjoy the rest of your business pursuits. Yep, college instructor speak if I've ever heard it. If you're not an instructor of some kind, you have taken too many classes and your brain has become indoctrinated to actually believing you are an expert. You may be, who knows. I do know, however, that you don't know anything whatsoever about what you felt the pressing need to research in detail, and then spout off about.

Not one shred of humbleness in your post. You are so full of yourself, it's almost beyond comprehension to the average person. I have some exposure to your kind, so I'm not as shocked as others may be, as I have had a few instructors (college and otherwise) that reeked of your unfounded and unsubstantiated elitist attitude.

What do you think people say behind your back? What do you think they think of you? What would YOU think of someone that projects themselves as some kind of authority, out of the blue, on a topic they know nothing about. Yeah, me too.

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Exactly why I said: Agreed but.

Some of the more liberal states like Minnesota, as he said he was from. I could imagine the lure of pulling a rabbit out of a hat to hide the fact that I’m a white capitalist straight man with no disabilities.

You both have a good point. The law as is, is racist against white men. Is it an excuse? Nah, just figure it out. There will always be something you have to figure out. I’m in business to get rich; not to fail and bitch about unfairness.

There is no failure here. I stated facts, and how those facts affected the outcome of bids. I "figured it out" as you say...

I'm not sure what a white capitalist straight man with no disabilities is - but if I'm that, I apologize - I guess. Somehow I guess I'm to blame for a rigged system - allll righty then. Sorry to be in business - sorry not to be black - sorry to be a racist pig - sorry I was born. Need we go further?

And there's no bitching about fairness. You want to know how to play the game. Fine. So do I. I learned how, and I stated how that is done. You have trouble accepting facts at face value don't you? Maybe, if you can explain that, it will expand your ability to understand things a whole lot more...

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
LMAO I actually missed this post. The guy I hooked up with my buddy Mike is a black vet and that is how we get the contracts. Not that he is black, but being a vet. I was brought up that every person on earth should be treated equal so him being black didn't cross my mind when I typed my original post.

Great post, as usual.

I will mention to look at all the "qualifiers" in bids. If your buddy has a partial disability of some kind, that could also add to his preferences in his profile, giving him more of an advantage.

The devil is in the details.

In relation to your lady friend buying things, I had a friend that was given $500 spiffs for getting leads in real estate. He made huge money.

I hated to pop his bubble, but the day I told him that he could have been making ALL the money, I could see him turn a bit pale. He was so happy getting his manila envelope with cash, he never looked beyond that. Your lady friend is happy too, with her cut. Some people are easy to please - God bless em.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
There is no failure here. I stated facts, and how those facts affected the outcome of bids. I "figured it out" as you say...

I'm not sure what a white capitalist straight man with no disabilities is - but if I'm that, I apologize - I guess. Somehow I guess I'm to blame for a rigged system - allll righty then. Sorry to be in business - sorry not to be black - sorry to be a racist pig - sorry I was born. Need we go further?

And there's no bitching about fairness. You want to know how to play the game. Fine. So do I. I learned how, and I stated how that is done. You have trouble accepting facts at face value don't you? Maybe, if you can explain that, it will expand your ability to understand things a whole lot more...

Hey dumb a$$... I was describing myself. I am a white, capitalist, straight man with no disabilities.

What you gave us all to go on was talking about how many bids you lost. I’m glad you did figure it out. Son of a bitch man, take a Xanax.

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Some of the more liberal states like Minnesota, as he said he was from. I could imagine the lure of pulling a rabbit out of a hat to hide the fact that I’m a white capitalist straight man with no disabilities.

Sorry.

I still have NO idea of what the portion of your post above means.

But, I do feel better now, knowing I don't have to apologize for being white, or being born, anymore.

The day's looking UP!

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Sorry.

I still have NO idea of what the portion of your post above means.

But, I do feel better now, knowing I don't have to apologize for being white, or being born, anymore.

The day's looking UP!

Referring to a previous post in which I would give some “minority” individual 51% of a shell corp that encompassed the opportunity I was bidding. In order for them to get ANYTHING I would require contractual control of 100 percent of the company. In which case I would issue myself back 50 percent of the company in phantom stock. Therefore 99% of the distributions go to me and partners that actually did something and I pay my self inflicted 1% tax for being a straight, white, capitalist, able bodied “pig” that I am. (Please see the sarcasm before you have an aneurysm.)

Voila, a minority owned company that I own.

AnAverageJoe

remember that you will die
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Feb 4, 2017
NMBSC
Just thought of a new unsexy business: Forum thread clean up. :rofl:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
ATV/Golf Cart dealership.

Some idiots literally pay more money for them than some pay for their real cars.

AnAverageJoe

remember that you will die
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Feb 4, 2017
NMBSC
ATV/Golf Cart dealership.

Some idiots literally pay more money for them than some pay for their real cars.
I can vouch for this. I live in a neighborhood full of those idiots. Most of them only use their golf cart to drive to the mailbox.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
Yes! I have several friends with souped-up golf carts out at the race track.

Personally, if a friend tells me we can make some money and it doesn't cost me over $1000 and I don't have to do any of the work, I'm in. Sometimes I kick myself for not going higher but I have my $1k limit. Although I'm still interested in the trailer house flipping thing that was talked about on here. If a friend asked about doing that I would go to $10k just because I love the idea. Same with a travel trailer. My sister and I flipped one of those several years ago. Bought it for $800, she cleaned it real nice and shiny and then sold it for $2500.

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Although I'm still interested in the trailer house flipping thing that was talked about on here. If a friend asked about doing that I would go to $10k just because I love the idea.

Don't flip these - rent them. I have a friend that buys them sight unseen when they hit the market. Getting the SPACE for them is the hard part. If they're in a park already, they rent in no time. He has a list of people wanting to rent, so no problems with vacancies.

These things are cash cows. I am trying to get into that biz also, but this guy is greedy and wants it all to himself. This is his secret road to riches. He does amazingly well at it. I keep buying him beers and softening him up. Someday.

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
So I was driving through a construction zone today and I saw a barrel barricade, and it reminded me of this thread.

In my area, there’s only ONE company providing barricading services to construction sites. I was speaking to some people and it seems like a VERY lucrative opportunity.

Essentially how it works is the barricading company leases the barrels to the contractor at a rate per barrel per day. They drop them off, and they pick them back up when the job is done.

You don’t even need to manufacturer the barrels in house. Import them from China. Rent a storage place. Store them there per season (construction is usually seasonal). Rent a few trucks for drop off/pick up of the barrels. Hire a few people to do the labor.

After you’ve built a reputation, expand into road signs, flagging, traffic control, permanent signs, etc.

This is something I might start very soon...

CreatioExNihilo

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Jun 28, 2016
Poland
Today a lot of people would like to step into amazon, app, etc. bussines. But there are not many who would like to dirt their hands to make money. So I think that in unsexy bussines will be much more oportunity than in "popular" branch. Simple supply and demand principle.

There is also another aspect. USA - China trade war. We probably will be live in economy with tariffs and protectionism. So there will be a chance for bussines in industrial sector, manufacturing. If we would like to improve our economy we have to make reindustralization in ours country. Import and export will be still very profitable because it is sense of ours economy but maybe trades directions will change.

Sorry if I made any language mistake.

Last edited:

KeepGoin

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Mar 17, 2016
I have a friend who just finished buying a plot of land and having a general contractor help him build a house. He was formerly into flipping, but he said this was the best profit he'd ever turned. His first time, after years of flipping.

It has a pretty good barrier to entry because he needed about 300k to do it all he said.

adventureguru

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
738%
Mar 7, 2011
The often mentioned Mike Rowe and his series "Dirty Jobs" here is the full list of industries from its 8 season run.

Bat biologist (bat guano collector)
bat rehabilitator,
Baseball Rubbing Mud,
fish gutter
Catfish noodler
septic tank technician
worm castings rancher
Golf ball diver,
horse breeder,
roadkill collector
Garbage collector/recycling separator/composter (vineyard),
shark catcher/tagger,
car recycling
Sewer inspector,
disaster cleanup crew member (basement sewer),
demolition worker (office building interior)
Pig farmer in Woodward,
removing chewing gum from sidewalks,
pigeon droppings removal
Baby chicken sexer,
beer brewer,
oyster harvester
Exterminator
crab fisherman,
blacksmith/farrier
Surfboard maker,
beekeeper,
sludge recycler
Hot tar roofer,
house movers
Coffee plantation,
marine mammal rescuer,
ostrich wrangler
Zoo keeper
cheese maker,
volcanic ash mud bath mixer
Shrimper,
mudbug harvester (crawfish),
tire recyclers
Cob home builder,
bee exterminator,
biodiesel man
Pet groomer,
micro-algae man,
charcoal maker (lump charcoal factory)
Chimney sweeper,
underwater logger,
scrap metal recycler
Marble miner,
owl vomit collector,
cattle rancher (cow breeding)
Turkey farmer,
potato farmer,
waste water sewage plant
Sugarcane mill,
firefighter (Fremont, CA),
alligator farmer
cow feed mill
Mushroom farmer,
storm drain cleaner,
drain cover foundry
Plumber,
drilling mud,
rough necker (oil drilling)
Concrete spreader,
termite exterminator
concrete truck cleaner
Lance Burton animal handler,
food recycler/pig farmer
Coke manufacturing,
oyster shucker,
Rose Parade float dismantler
Lithographer,
terra cotta facade maker,
converting trash into electricity
Keeping trains on track
cracklin and boudin sausage maker
cleaning animal skulls with Skulls Unlimited for display in educational facilities around the world
dam demolition,
pipe organ specialist,
geoduck farmer
Candy maker,
truck tire retreading,
KC-135R Stratotanker fuel tank cleaner
shark cage,
tiger shark necropsy,
shark tagging,
shark repellent researcher,
shark spotter
fish taxidermist,
shark suit tester,
Salvage expert
coal miner
Basalt quarry,
hippopotamus keeper
cow hoof trimmer
Mussel farmer, taro farmer, alpaca shearer
Vervet monkey rehabilitator
pig shaver,
Bait and lobster fisherman,
Lake Erie seaweed cleanup,
Lake Erie water snake researcher
Concrete stamping,
penguin keeper
blood worm digger
house demolition/gutting,
rodent control,
mosquito control and poison testing
Tree trimmer and stump grinder,
fainting goat farmer,
exotic insect breeder
Surveying salmon spawning grounds
manufacturing CowPots (a type of flower pot made from cow manure)
Wine barrel maker,
logging with mules
Bowie Baysox groundskeeper,
placing boat moorings
geothermal well driller
Wine cave digger,
baggage handler
incinerator for trash from international flights
Winemaker,
cattle feed farmer
Hydroseeding,
cleaning the inside of the boilers of the steam yacht Medea.
alpaca shearer,
fainting goat farmer,
vervet monkey rehabilitator,
cattle rancher (cow breeding),
penguin keeper,
ostrich farmer,
food recycler/pig farmer,
logging with mules
Billboard installer
Reptile handler
Clay jug potter specializing in faces on the jug,
tannery
Bridge maintenance worker,
NASA Crawler-transporter lubricator
Fish farming hybrid striped bass,
tilapia, and carp;
bird conservation ("Vomit Island," Ohio)
egg collecting,
virus testing,
horse manure and garbage removal/composting
H5N1 avian influenza testing
goose tagging
Yak and bison rancher
monkey caretaker
mudbug harvester ("Shrimper"),
cattle rancher ("Avian Vomitologist"),
Lake Erie water snake researcher ("Snake Researcher"),
exterminator ("Vexcon" and "Termite Controller"),
Artificial reef maker,
goat milk soap maker,
frac tank refurbisher
Cleaning airport runway paint striper
collecting diapers for odor analysis,
spray installation of cellulose insulation
Cleaning barbecue smoker,
large animal veterinarian,
removing underground fuel oil storage tank
Recycling Mississippi River barge,
steel mill worker
Cave biologist
hagfish fisherman
Cedar shake and shingle maker,
buoy tender
Handmade brick maker;
cranberry harvesting; cranberry jam, jelly, and syrup maker.
Building and installing rooftop water tower,
cleaning elevator shaft
Fishing and processing of fish aboard the F/V Legacy, a trawl fishing vessel and at-sea fishprocessor in Alaska's Bering Sea; viewer mail
Working on a dairy farm: milking, artificial insemination, cow midwife
Erosion control technician,
aerial tram maintenance
Making a home energy efficient by improving insulation,
turkey artificial insemination,
car crusher
Cleaning up diesel spill
salvaging truck from bottom of lake
Wind turbine generator technician,
garbage removal from sinkhole,
printing press operator
Making shampoo from mud,
horse castration
yak and bison rancher
Researching the greenland shark
Potato chip maker,
effluent channel building cleaner at wastewater treatment plant
Cutting concrete wall,
sheep shearing,
docking and castrating lambs
Leech trapping,
making raw meat dog food out of green tripe
turkey artificial insemination
rodent control
salt miner
cleaning barbecue smoker
wine barrel maker
Leather Tanner
alligator egg collecting
pig shaver
Demolishing a mobile home,
making mannequins
Cleaning diesel fuel from dirt,
chicken egg farm
Harvesting hops,
making vellum from goat skin
Transplanting a saguaro,
maggot farmer
Bologna maker,
incinerating toilet cleaner
Bird ringing common terns and Canada geese
abandoned mineshaft plugger
Excavator at the Tar Pits,
dead cow renderer
Walnut harvester,
goose and duck feather plucker
Olive oil presser,
cloth diaper cleaner
Suet bird food maker,
spider collector
venom extractor
CNC plasma cutting,
grit blasting,
refurbishing engines
Breeding and training Alaskan Huskies as sled dogs
Recovering derelict boats,
recycling mattresses
High-rise window washer,
brine tank cleaner (Shark Reef at Mandalay Bay)
Alligator snapping turtle researcher,
recycling toilets
E-waste recycler,
tofu maker
Dung beetle researcher
studio glass maker (Fenton Art Glass Company)
tagging salmon with acoustic tags
Shrink wrapping a boat to protect it during winter,
reindeer farmer
Dyeing shirts with red dirt from Kauai,
marble maker
Fireworks maker,
Clam harvester,
worm grunter
Recycling used paint,
maple syrup maker
Cricket farmer,
Catching feral chickens,
Making a fire pit, countertops, and bath tub out of decorative concrete;
Bone black manufacturer;
charcoal maker
coal miner
inspecting abandoned mineshaft
concrete truck cleaner
cleaning a buoy
cleaning grinder sump pump on fish processing ship
cleaning elevator shaft
aerial tram maintenance
welding inside a rotary kiln
cleaning walnut cleaner
changing main shaft packing on water turbine
Sharkarosa Wildlife Ranch: ring-tailed lemurs, porcupines, baby dromedary camel, baby albino eastern grey kangaroos, red kangaroos, wallabies, two-toed sloths, bearcat
Lightning rod installer
Making fleece roving and yarn,
Pinsetter mechanic,
custom fitting for bowling ball,
Seagull abatement specialist,
mobile butcher
Asphalt road paving;
Rum distiller
Linemen replacing power pole,
treating head lice
Scrapple maker,
shoeshiner
Jelly bean maker (Jelly Belly),
blueberry harvesting,
Sponge diver;
Cleaning fish grinder
log cabin sawmill
crawfish processing
termite researcher
Breeding walleye for recreational fishing, animal acupuncture[13]
Excavating dinosaur fossil site
Managing Myriophyllum spicatum, an non-indigenous invasive species,
collecting seeds for the Millennium Seed Bank Project at the Chicago Botanic Garden
Maintenance on water softening basin
Barbershop
landfill
Assembling cow bladders
Disposing biohazardous medical waste
Erecting radio communications tower
Commercial processing of onions,
building wooden ladders for San Francisco Fire Department
Removing eastern brown snakes
Capturing saltwater crocodiles to study
Mining opal
maintaining the local golf course

D

Deleted52409

The often mentioned Mike Rowe and his series "Dirty Jobs" here is the full list of industries from its 8 season run.

Bat biologist (bat guano collector)
bat rehabilitator,
Baseball Rubbing Mud,
fish gutter
Catfish noodler
septic tank technician
worm castings rancher
Golf ball diver,
horse breeder,
roadkill collector
Garbage collector/recycling separator/composter (vineyard),
shark catcher/tagger,
car recycling
Sewer inspector,
disaster cleanup crew member (basement sewer),
demolition worker (office building interior)
Pig farmer in Woodward,
removing chewing gum from sidewalks,
pigeon droppings removal
Baby chicken sexer,
beer brewer,
oyster harvester
Exterminator
crab fisherman,
blacksmith/farrier
Surfboard maker,
beekeeper,
sludge recycler
Hot tar roofer,
house movers
Coffee plantation,
marine mammal rescuer,
ostrich wrangler
Zoo keeper
cheese maker,
volcanic ash mud bath mixer
Shrimper,
mudbug harvester (crawfish),
tire recyclers
Cob home builder,
bee exterminator,
biodiesel man
Pet groomer,
micro-algae man,
charcoal maker (lump charcoal factory)
Chimney sweeper,
underwater logger,
scrap metal recycler
Marble miner,
owl vomit collector,
cattle rancher (cow breeding)
Turkey farmer,
potato farmer,
waste water sewage plant
Sugarcane mill,
firefighter (Fremont, CA),
alligator farmer
cow feed mill
Mushroom farmer,
storm drain cleaner,
drain cover foundry
Plumber,
drilling mud,
rough necker (oil drilling)
Concrete spreader,
termite exterminator
concrete truck cleaner
Lance Burton animal handler,
food recycler/pig farmer
Coke manufacturing,
oyster shucker,
Rose Parade float dismantler
Lithographer,
terra cotta facade maker,
converting trash into electricity
Keeping trains on track
cracklin and boudin sausage maker
cleaning animal skulls with Skulls Unlimited for display in educational facilities around the world
dam demolition,
pipe organ specialist,
geoduck farmer
Candy maker,
truck tire retreading,
KC-135R Stratotanker fuel tank cleaner
shark cage,
tiger shark necropsy,
shark tagging,
shark repellent researcher,
shark spotter
fish taxidermist,
shark suit tester,
Salvage expert
coal miner
Basalt quarry,
hippopotamus keeper
cow hoof trimmer
Mussel farmer, taro farmer, alpaca shearer
Vervet monkey rehabilitator
pig shaver,
Bait and lobster fisherman,
Lake Erie seaweed cleanup,
Lake Erie water snake researcher
Concrete stamping,
penguin keeper
blood worm digger
house demolition/gutting,
rodent control,
mosquito control and poison testing
Tree trimmer and stump grinder,
fainting goat farmer,
exotic insect breeder
Surveying salmon spawning grounds
manufacturing CowPots (a type of flower pot made from cow manure)
Wine barrel maker,
logging with mules
Bowie Baysox groundskeeper,
placing boat moorings
geothermal well driller
Wine cave digger,
baggage handler
incinerator for trash from international flights
Winemaker,
cattle feed farmer
Hydroseeding,
cleaning the inside of the boilers of the steam yacht Medea.
alpaca shearer,
fainting goat farmer,
vervet monkey rehabilitator,
cattle rancher (cow breeding),
penguin keeper,
ostrich farmer,
food recycler/pig farmer,
logging with mules
Billboard installer
Reptile handler
Clay jug potter specializing in faces on the jug,
tannery
Bridge maintenance worker,
NASA Crawler-transporter lubricator
Fish farming hybrid striped bass,
tilapia, and carp;
bird conservation ("Vomit Island," Ohio)
egg collecting,
virus testing,
horse manure and garbage removal/composting
H5N1 avian influenza testing
goose tagging
Yak and bison rancher
monkey caretaker
mudbug harvester ("Shrimper"),
cattle rancher ("Avian Vomitologist"),
Lake Erie water snake researcher ("Snake Researcher"),
exterminator ("Vexcon" and "Termite Controller"),
Artificial reef maker,
goat milk soap maker,
frac tank refurbisher
Cleaning airport runway paint striper
collecting diapers for odor analysis,
spray installation of cellulose insulation
Cleaning barbecue smoker,
large animal veterinarian,
removing underground fuel oil storage tank
Recycling Mississippi River barge,
steel mill worker
Cave biologist
hagfish fisherman
Cedar shake and shingle maker,
buoy tender
Handmade brick maker;
cranberry harvesting; cranberry jam, jelly, and syrup maker.
Building and installing rooftop water tower,
cleaning elevator shaft
Fishing and processing of fish aboard the F/V Legacy, a trawl fishing vessel and at-sea fishprocessor in Alaska's Bering Sea; viewer mail
Working on a dairy farm: milking, artificial insemination, cow midwife
Erosion control technician,
aerial tram maintenance
Making a home energy efficient by improving insulation,
turkey artificial insemination,
car crusher
Cleaning up diesel spill
salvaging truck from bottom of lake
Wind turbine generator technician,
garbage removal from sinkhole,
printing press operator
Making shampoo from mud,
horse castration
yak and bison rancher
Researching the greenland shark
Potato chip maker,
effluent channel building cleaner at wastewater treatment plant
Cutting concrete wall,
sheep shearing,
docking and castrating lambs
Leech trapping,
making raw meat dog food out of green tripe
turkey artificial insemination
rodent control
salt miner
cleaning barbecue smoker
wine barrel maker
Leather Tanner
alligator egg collecting
pig shaver
Demolishing a mobile home,
making mannequins
Cleaning diesel fuel from dirt,
chicken egg farm
Harvesting hops,
making vellum from goat skin
Transplanting a saguaro,
maggot farmer
Bologna maker,
incinerating toilet cleaner
Bird ringing common terns and Canada geese
abandoned mineshaft plugger
Excavator at the Tar Pits,
dead cow renderer
Walnut harvester,
goose and duck feather plucker
Olive oil presser,
cloth diaper cleaner
Suet bird food maker,
spider collector
venom extractor
CNC plasma cutting,
grit blasting,
refurbishing engines
Breeding and training Alaskan Huskies as sled dogs
Recovering derelict boats,
recycling mattresses
High-rise window washer,
brine tank cleaner (Shark Reef at Mandalay Bay)
Alligator snapping turtle researcher,
recycling toilets
E-waste recycler,
tofu maker
Dung beetle researcher
studio glass maker (Fenton Art Glass Company)
tagging salmon with acoustic tags
Shrink wrapping a boat to protect it during winter,
reindeer farmer
Dyeing shirts with red dirt from Kauai,
marble maker
Fireworks maker,
Clam harvester,
worm grunter
Recycling used paint,
maple syrup maker
Cricket farmer,
Catching feral chickens,
Making a fire pit, countertops, and bath tub out of decorative concrete;
Bone black manufacturer;
charcoal maker
coal miner
inspecting abandoned mineshaft
concrete truck cleaner
cleaning a buoy
cleaning grinder sump pump on fish processing ship
cleaning elevator shaft
aerial tram maintenance
welding inside a rotary kiln
cleaning walnut cleaner
changing main shaft packing on water turbine
Sharkarosa Wildlife Ranch: ring-tailed lemurs, porcupines, baby dromedary camel, baby albino eastern grey kangaroos, red kangaroos, wallabies, two-toed sloths, bearcat
Lightning rod installer
Making fleece roving and yarn,
Pinsetter mechanic,
custom fitting for bowling ball,
Seagull abatement specialist,
mobile butcher
Asphalt road paving;
Rum distiller
Linemen replacing power pole,
treating head lice
Scrapple maker,
shoeshiner
Jelly bean maker (Jelly Belly),
blueberry harvesting,
Sponge diver;
Cleaning fish grinder
log cabin sawmill
crawfish processing
termite researcher
Breeding walleye for recreational fishing, animal acupuncture[13]
Excavating dinosaur fossil site
Managing Myriophyllum spicatum, an non-indigenous invasive species,
collecting seeds for the Millennium Seed Bank Project at the Chicago Botanic Garden
Maintenance on water softening basin
Barbershop
landfill
Assembling cow bladders
Disposing biohazardous medical waste
Erecting radio communications tower
Commercial processing of onions,
building wooden ladders for San Francisco Fire Department
Removing eastern brown snakes
Capturing saltwater crocodiles to study
Mining opal
maintaining the local golf course

Probably over half of these jobs nobody even knew they existed. Can you imagine telling someone that you manage Myriophyllum spicatum, whatever that means?

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
Its a plant but I don't know how anyone could have a job managing it....? I'm not even sure where it's at.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
There is also another aspect. USA - China trade war.

Yes, I wonder if any of our China importers are concerned about the ongoing dialogue. There's got to be a ton here.

Do you "I'll worry about it IF it happens?"

Or

"I'm looking at alternative manufacturing now..."

GSF

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Aug 25, 2012
I used to have my own tree service company, some related ideas I've thought about in the past;
  • Specialist vehicle hire and sales(converted tipper trucks)
  • Trailer hire
  • Cherry picker hire and with operator
  • Small business yard/ office space
  • Construction fencing supply
  • Landscaping materials by the tonne bag delivered (gravel, wood chip, bark, slate chippings etc)
  • Wood chipper/ stump grinder hire
  • Shipping container storage yard
  • Sub contract road traffic control service
  • Niche/ industry specific labour supply agency
How's this for an unsexy business- used nappy/ diaper recycling facility. I used to take my tree chippings there and they'd add it into the nappy waste and turn it all into compost and sell it on!

Lucious

Lucious
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Oct 13, 2016
Australia
- Agricultural/Fish&Livestock related:
1. Bamboo Nursery
2. Mushroom Cultivation ( this is my current niche. In january I started a small farm in my basement. there is little competition but a very high barrier of entry)

As someone passionate and who is working in the in the fresh produce industry this list was a big eyeopener for me. I could be looking in the wrong direction with starting my business.

If you work in an industry you know well, why not start a side business that is related and on this list. Use your current position at your job as leverage to promote your side business.

Johnny would be nice if you keep us up to date with your mushroom cultivation business.

Thanks for a great post

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
I used to have my own tree service company, some related ideas I've thought about in the past;
  • Specialist vehicle hire and sales(converted tipper trucks)
  • Trailer hire
  • Cherry picker hire and with operator
  • Small business yard/ office space
  • Construction fencing supply
  • Landscaping materials by the tonne bag delivered (gravel, wood chip, bark, slate chippings etc)
  • Wood chipper/ stump grinder hire
  • Shipping container storage yard
  • Sub contract road traffic control service
  • Niche/ industry specific labour supply agency
How's this for an unsexy business- used nappy/ diaper recycling facility. I used to take my tree chippings there and they'd add it into the nappy waste and turn it all into compost and sell it on!

Why did you get out of the tree business? Here in the US that is a booming business with lots of profit. I know a guy that used to mow lawns but has now changed to only stump grinding and stump removal. He has 1 helper and says he makes about $600-$800 a day profit. I've never seen his tax forms but that is what he says and I believe it. He is suppose to get another crew this year.

GSF

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Aug 25, 2012
Why did you get out of the tree business? Here in the US that is a booming business with lots of profit. I know a guy that used to mow lawns but has now changed to only stump grinding and stump removal. He has 1 helper and says he makes about $600-$800 a day profit. I've never seen his tax forms but that is what he says and I believe it. He is suppose to get another crew this year.
Yes I believe them numbers I used to have days where I did similar numbers from stump grinding.

Reason I quit was health problems ,although I'd grown the business, I hadn't grown it enough for me not to work in it, I still had to run around doing quotes, fill in for when staff didn't turn up, repair equipment (heavy equipment), oversee jobs etc.

Given more time maybe I could have made it work, but at the time I could barely walk and didn't think I would get better so eventually sold everything and gave up.

Kennypaul

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Mar 19, 2018
Nigeria
Something that cannot be stressed enough on the Fastlane forum is that people would be better off pursuing businesses in UNSEXY industries. Industries that FEW people are talking about because they are boring, unpopular, or possibly even unlikely to be discussed among the general public, and etc..

This is a good thing.

Many entrepeneurs don't want to run an UNSEXY business!!!!!!!

Nobody wants to run a fish cannery in the middle of the alaskan wilderness. Most aspiring entrepreneurs don't dream about collecting debt from strangers over the phone. And they definitely don't want to become chimney cleaners.

Again... this is actually a very very good thing. For the chimney cleaner, the cannery owner, and the debt collector who ignored every other entrepreneurs advise and did the exact opposite of Amazon FBA, Dropshipping, and Upwork Freelancing. Not everything has to be an online business you guys!

Why spend thousands of dollars marketing your oversaturated supplement in an extremely difficult market where every other personal trainer is selling the same thing that nobody will remember in 10 years? Especially if you can just open up a slaughterhouse and master the process and have customers come to you after barely even marketing your business in the last 5 years.

It may be gross and disgusting to witness animals being butchered up into pieces. But it's not your fault that the majority of people like eating animals. It's also not difficult to persuade someone to buy something if he already knows he needs it.

THIS IS WHY WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT UNSEXY BUSINESSES MORE OFTEN. BY CREATING THIS THREAD WHAT I AM DOING IS BUILDING AN ECHO CHAMBER WHERE WE CAN BRAINSTORM AND DISCUSS AS MANY UNSEXY BUSINESS IDEAS AS WE CAN POSSIBLY THINK OF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you don't have a business idea yet I want you to be mumbling the words, "think UNSEXY" until you find it.

In fact, I'll even give you a list of 100 random UNSEXY business ideas that may or may not interest you:

- Agricultural/Fish&Livestock related:
1. Bamboo Nursery
2. Mushroom Cultivation ( this is my current niche. In january I started a small farm in my basement. there is little competition but a very high barrier of entry)
3. Garlic Farming
4. Beekeeping
5. Spice Production
6. Deep Sea Crab Fishing
7. Worm Farming
8. Lavender Farming
9. Tree Seed Supply
10. Seafood Cannery
11. Wool Production
12. Fish Farming
13. Cricket Farming
14. Nut Processing
15. Exotic Animal Breeding/Trading
16. Pineapple Plantation
17. Truffle Tree Planting
18. Agricultural Vehicles (such as Tractors )
19. Rubber Plantation
20. Pig Farming
21. Carrot Cultivation
22. Cattle Ranch
23. Slaughterhouse
24. Palm Oil Plantation
25. Sugar Cane Plantation
26. Dairy Farm
27. Onion Farming
28. Florist Business
29. Livestock Feed Production
30. Flour Milling

-Blue Collar Trades, Manual Labor & Manufacturing:
31. Construction Business
32. Plumbing Business
33. Electrician Business
34. HVAC Business
35. Waste Management
36. Garbarge Collection
37. Manure/Fertilizer manufacturing plant
38. Auto Glass Repair Shop
39. Auto Body Repair Shop
40. Laundry detergent/Cleaning chemical manufacturing
41. Medical Equipment (wheel chairs, hospital beds...)
42. Recycling Industry
43. Scrap yard
44. Pest Control
45. Painting Company
46. Landscaping
47. Chimney Cleaning
48. Carpet Cleaning
49. Crime Scene Cleanup
50. Graffiti Removal
51. Mining Industry
52. Any other type of natural resource extraction
53. Lawn Care
54. The RV Industry
55. Machine Shop
56. Aluminum Door Window Fabrication
57. Candle Making
58. Ginger Oil Manufacturing
59. Iodized Salt Manufacturing
60. Noodles Manufacturing
61. Rubber Band Manufacturing
62. Bread Making
63. Disposable paper plates/plastic cups manufacturing
64. Baking Powder Manufacturing
65. Woodworking
66. Granite Counter-top Installation Business
67. Cabinet Manufacturing

- RANDOM MISCELLANEOUS:
68. Debt Collection
69. Vending Machines
70. Blood/Sperm/Hair/Sperm other legal body part donation center
71. Self Storage Units
72. Hair Wig making
73. Head Lice Removal
74. The Funeral Industry
75. Acne Reduction Creams
76. Security Guard Service
77. English Teaching Abroad Agency
78. Drivers Ed School
79. Pawn Shop?? Maybe Payday Lending??
80. Pet food; not necessarily for dogs but also other pets such as Parrots, Turtles, and Hamsters...
81. Foreskin Restoration Devices; I dare you to google this
82. Porta-Potty Rental
83. Sex Doll Brothel; I threw up in my mouth a little bit but there are a lot of lonely guys out there.
84. Airplane Repossession
85. Accounting Firm
86. Insurance Agency
87. Power Washing
88. Caring for the elderly; people are getting older.
89. Wholesale Distributor
90. Medical Transcription Services
91. Biotechnology Lab
92. Personal Assistant
93. Other types of cleaning business/janitorial services
94. Concrete Pouring
95. Bricklaying
96. Franchising
97. Healthcare Industry
98. Anything I didn't already mention that was on Mike Rowe's "Dirty Jobs"
99. If you are in a business with high barrier of entry you could offer consultation for a big price!
100. Selling "shovels" (accessories, equipment, add-ons, extensions, necessary components) to any industry that's ever existed including the ones I just listed.

Don't you understand...??? An UNSEXY business idea is not necessarily an ugly duckling. It doesn't matter what people think about her right now. She could become a beautiful swan if you feed and nurture her properly!!!! Don't be ashamed if people find out you own a slaughterhouse!!!!!!

Disclaimer: I am not saying that each and every single business idea will work for you. It's going to depend on multiple factors such as your personality, work ethic, the individual niche you are choosing and etc..Maybe none of them are for you and that's fine. I am also not an expert on most of these ideas. So you might want to do some research if you find one of these ideas worth executing. But that's not the point of this thread. My aim is to encourage other aspiring entrepreneurs to pursue UNSEXY business ideas!

So what are some of your UNSEXY business ideas??
Awesome thread by the way.But honestly I smell "slowlane" in most of them.(No offense!)

jon.M

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Jul 4, 2016
Sweden
Awesome thread by the way.But honestly I smell "slowlane" in most of them.(No offense!)
I don't get this aversion to everything that's not digital marketing/apps/websites/Amazon.

Nothing's fastlane right at the start, but you can make it that way. For example through intentional iteration.

One single coffee shop won't make you rich, but 29 shops could. A normal electrician company won't be fastlane. But by either scaling or increasing magnitude, it could be.

It's probably more in the mindset. If you actually know there's a way to turn your company fastlane, the probability of achieving that is way higher.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.