• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

2. Forum *Official* Book Discussion
    Influence, The Psychology of Persuasion by Robert Cialdini

The forum has voted to discuss this book. Grab it and let's discuss!
    Buy: Buy | Discuss: Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion(Review | Discuss)

GOLD! 100 Unsexy Business Ideas: Name as many as you can!

Discussion in 'Business Models, Niches, Industries' started by JohnnyAppleseed, Apr 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. MHP368

MHP368 the man, the myth, the Pseudo-Apollodorus Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,070
    according to Walter Hay getting government contracts is next to impossible, big players with money can price you out by taking a loss (also nepotism), worth a shot though, hell sales is a people business - maybe you can get in on the nepotism with a little facetime. Military related you're up against big big big fish with deep pockets, military is too sexy

in that vein...what about...who rents portapotties to FEMA? , where do they get the hygiene goods that go in the MRE's? , they have enlisted personal as medical on bases but who supplies the tongue depressors and the paper to cover examination tables?

or to avoid the nepotism and big deep pocket government contract whales, whos the decision maker on your local government? that might be worth looking into, when a stop sign gets knocked over wheres a new one come from? who supplies the asphalt to fill local potholes?

as an aside I was thinking about the nepotism recently with that situation in puerto rico

this deal FEMA Contract Called for 30 Million Meals for Puerto Ricans. 50,000 Were Delivered.

back of the napkin, 156 million dollars for 30 million meals,

I went to the site for that meal in a bottle "soylent" , buying 144 bottles 2.83 a bottle, even assuming no discount for bulk thats 83 million dollars for the 30 million meals (and soylent has a number of competitors to fill in production gaps, including nestle),

price to have them packed into crates with parachutes attached and air dropped by a fleet of rented c130'sC-130/L-382 Hercules Aircraft Charter Capabilities | Lynden Air Cargo ... well no idea but I think less than the remaining 73 million?

that all took me 3 minutes to google , they should have awarded me the contract!

2. Kak

Kak Capitalist Swine Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $26,630
    I know a guy that makes a ton of money... He owns 10 trucks, tools and employs 10 HVAC guys... He also owns a ferrari, a million dollar home, plays golf at the nicest club in the area and it definitely isn't a stretch.

3. JohnnyAppleseed

JohnnyAppleseed Goyim Gone Wild Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,187
    My biggest regret of highschool was that I never took the HVAC program at the career center. It's unfortunate that people would rather major in underwater basket weaving and then join Antifa but it is what it is. Mike Rowe was in an amazing video based on this topic:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVEuPmVAb8o

4. Shepherd

Shepherd Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,481
    My son and I were having a conversation a couple months ago and I asked him how he liked his class and working on diesel engines. He said he didn't really like it and would rather be working on his car or other hot rods, but that's where the money was. No idea where the kid got that mindset from, lol.

Knicks, SWSSMSS, Sheps and 3 others like this.
  5. AnAverageJoe

AnAverageJoe remember that you will die Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,887
    I love this. This is just what I needed. Like everyone else, I've been chasing the next big tech/online trend and trying to capitalize while the iron is hot (see my 3D printing thread). I also have a year-long Amazon FBA progress thread that can almost be deemed a failure. I've been all over the place with ideas. But now I think I need to chase the best opportunity instead of the next big thing.

I live in a resort/beach area that has to have plenty of unsexy opportunities. Grocery delivery, luggage service (I really like this one), Italian ice/ ice cream cart (can cater to the health-conscious crowd), boat/yacht cleaning, and RV cleaning are just a few things I can think of right now.

Thanks for posting. Rep+

6. Thoelt53

Thoelt53 Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $5,310
    Awesome thread!

Posting here now to remind myself to throw up some ideas later.

Late Bloomer likes this.
  7. WJK

WJK Gold Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $9,582
    If my tenants could do better -- if they could see themselves doing better -- they wouldn't be my tenants!

Sheps, Late Bloomer, ChrisR and 2 others like this.
  8. MoneyDoc

MoneyDoc Gold Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $9,215
    Man threads like these pump me up for some reason.

Anyways, an idea that I’m actually starting with a partner: mobile oil change. Super convenient (for the customer). I used to work at a construction place and we had to manually drop off each truck at the mechanics for an oil change... we’re not talking about 1 truck, but HUNDREDS of trucks. Talk about time lost for the employer, especially in an industry like construction where finishing contracts on time is so important.

So you can target it as both a B2C, and B2B.

Keep on posting guys.

9. LeoistheSun

LeoistheSun Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,828
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  10. Real Deal Denver

Real Deal Denver Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $8,928
    Been there, done that. It's better to take the day off.

You're absolutely right, on your first point. I used to get bids to supply things to the government. Total waste of time. Lost every one of them to either a black guy that got "ten points preference", so he could bid below my cost, but still make money because of the "preference points" boosted the price bid to something higher than was actually bid due to the "preference points" being added. If you're black, female, AND a vet, this can be YOUR ticket! Or, lost it to a bid that was so tightly written that only ONE product could fit the requirements - the one they wanted, of course.

So much of this was illegal, but go ahead and file a complaint. Then you get to deal with a government slacker that is paid to waste MORE of your time.

Rigged all the way, no matter how you cut it. And then, they're slow pay.

Who needs losers like this for customers? Yeah - if you're selling $100 million jets, or $125 hammers, okay...

As for selling commodity items, if you can sell lower than Amazon, you might have a shot at it. But only if a black female vet doesn't bid against you, that is.

The ONLY time I've ever heard someone making money selling to the government was a guy that sold them paint. He bought cheap paint and diluted it 50%.

Ha - gotta admire his thinking. The reason I know about this is he got caught and was sued - lost - and even went to prison for it. Well, it looked good on paper anyway...

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
  11. Mr.Brandtastic

Mr.Brandtastic Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,924
    If you can do it, owning a car repair shop can be a license to steal.

SquatchMan likes this.
  12. Sagemoney

Sagemoney Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,595
    Looks like I found my fastlane, you telling me all I had to do was be black?!?!

Pssshhhhh man MJ whyd you hide this?

Sorry y'all catch you in my mansion after I acquire all the government contract

/sarcasm

13. Real Deal Denver

Real Deal Denver Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $8,928
    Forgot one. Disabled.

Find a black woman, vet, in a wheelchair, and you got it MADE!

But then you have to carry their a$$ until they feel like getting around to paying you...

14. SquatchMan

SquatchMan Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,905
    I know five people that own multi-million dollar companies and their only customer is the government.

One guy sells a very niche roof for government buildings across the country (federal, state, county, and city. he builds a team and sends them to whatever location to install the roof). Only a few companies in the country do what he does. His business is worth 8 figures.

One guy mows the median grass on the interstate during the summer. In the winter he plows snow.

One woman purchases and installs highway signs.

One guy (veteran) does a special thing for sidewalks.

One guy builds roads.

None of these people started with big money or had heavy contacts in the government.
    Half of them didn't even go to college.
    One guy didn't even finish high school.

Point being, you can make it work. All of them were breaking even for the first 2-3 years of business and doing small jobs. Generally have to work your way up to the big jobs.

15. Kak

Kak Capitalist Swine Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $26,630
    @MHP368 since when do we even consider throwing out an entire segment of the economy just because of one guy opining about its arduousness. That says barrier to entry and screams opportunity to me. Also I believe folks that do something for the sake of easier are only betraying their future selves.

Going head to head with the big boys over a missile contract... yeah that’s going to be pretty tough, but not impossible. Selling all the stop signs to a major city? I’d say it’s every bit as easy long term as these Amazon business will one day prove to be. The “I bought 50 grand in inventory on credit cards and my listings aren’t converting” posts are coming. Mark my words.

Yep! Rep+

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  16. 404profound

404profound Gold Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $6,614
    Amen

Kak likes this.
  17. SquatchMan

SquatchMan Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,905
    If you have lived in Florida, then you know about Bob:

[​IMG]

This guy has a barricade company.

An 8-figure company... selling barricade services. He is only in one state. Imagine if he was in all 50. It'd probably be a billion dollar company!

Oh yeah, the owner's name isn't even Bob.

goldstein, Puripong, JFCopy and 26 others like this.
  18. Kak

Rep Bank:
    $26,630
    You mean it’s not an internet company in Silicon Valley and it’s worth 8 figures? Nonsense.

goldstein, Chitown, Brad S and 10 others like this.
  19. luniac

luniac Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $12,281
    i been wanting to make an app for an overlooked niche for the longest time.

Something like an Info App. It's so easy to make:
    1) Get good info
    2) Get some graphics
    3) Whip up nice looking info app
    4) Put in Admob ads
    5) Profit

Sadly have not found an expert in their field who has a good idea for an info app for their industry.
    One friend is in IT but he says there's already lots of apps for that out there...

I know years back, medical info apps made money, but all that's saturated now.

There's gotta be something... something........

MooreMillions and Vinayalchemy like this.
  20. MoneyDoc

MoneyDoc Gold Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $9,215
    My friend and his Dad own a local metal recycling plant. They mainly recycle aluminum and steel cans (coke, Pepsi, etc.)

Their largest client is the City of Toronto waste services.

Another buyer is Pepsi Co. They buy the recycled aluminum sheets to remake more cans.

They started with 2 people and less than $7000 (I kid you not).

21. minivanman

minivanman Platinum Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $14,113
    My buddy is a computer guy that makes things such as antennas for phones and all kinds of things like that. I met this other guy who is a vet and was looking to start a business. So we all 3 got together and formed a company. First of all, I get 3% of everything for being the guy that brought those 2 together. The vet gets contracts through the government. Mike designs what ever the contracts call for. This is a great income for me because I have no clue what is happening so it keeps me totally out of the loop. Every now and then I think they think I need to be in on a conference call..... but really, I don't. I don't care, just give me my money and I'm good. So this has worked out well for me so far.

22. LeoistheSun

LeoistheSun Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,828
    • Coin Laundry
    • Self-Serve Carwash
    • Self-Storage
    • Traffic barricades (above post)
    All do not require anyone to be present.

23. Thoelt53

Thoelt53 Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $5,310
    • Parking lot cleaning
    • Parking lot stripe painting
    • Concrete barrier rental
    • Chain link fence rental
    • Premier even rental (tents, tables, chairs, etc)
    • Mobile restrooms. Not port-a-potties. Think real restroom on a trailer. Could be included in above event rental
    • Mobile truck wash (tractor trailers, construction equipment, etc)
    • High rise window cleaning
    • Tree removal/pruning
    • Freight forwarding
    None of these ideas are original whatsoever. But most can be started today.

Many existing companies in these fields are dinosaurs and have absolutely crap service, but no one is competing with them. Lots of room for disruption.

24. Real Deal Denver

Rep Bank:
    $8,928
    Can I get an AMEN to that! AMEN!

25. Silver Silk

Silver Silk Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $755
    This Thread has to be made notable at least, so much value here!

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.