• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

2. Forum *Official* Book Discussion
    Influence, The Psychology of Persuasion by Robert Cialdini

The forum has voted to discuss this book. Grab it and let's discuss!
    Buy: Buy | Discuss: Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion(Review | Discuss)

GOLD! 100 Unsexy Business Ideas: Name as many as you can!

Discussion in 'Business Models, Niches, Industries' started by JohnnyAppleseed, Apr 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. MakeMoreMoves

MakeMoreMoves Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,673
    Hm....good list. I wrote these business ideas off in my head since I wanted to be totally online when I started in business.

My biggest problem is differentiating with these businesses. Is it even necessary? Things like a landscaping company. So one of the services is cutting grass. What can someone possibly do better if there is already a large company in a local area doing this? This is the 2nd reason I avoided these types of businesses because they are like selling commodity physical products except in the services space. Can someone enlighten me how to breakthrough?

In my mind, it is just cold calling and hustling harder then the other guy. All other variables tend to be commodity variables. Like price, time, guarantees, etc. Assuming the competitor has good customer service for this example.

2. jasoncuellar123

jasoncuellar123 I’m probably awake. Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $14,866
    Essentially the mods here lol

3. minivanman

minivanman Platinum Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $14,113
    Very easy answer(s) here: #1. Answer the phone. Call 10 mowing businesses in your area and let us know how many answer the phone or call you back. If it's anything like Omaha or Fort Worth that number will be 0. #2. Customer service. Lots of lawn care guys don't speak English very well and have 0 customer service skills. #3. Continually show up. You don't even have to be on time.... you don't even have to show up on the correct day.... just show up!

These are 3 of the same things that happen in the residential cleaning business. In cleaning there are a few more things but you spoke about mowing so those are what will set you apart from most guys out there. Now don't get me wrong.... they have a VERY good reason for not answering the phone or calling you back or not giving you good customer service or showing up when they are suppose to..... the reason a lot of times is because they are so busy before they know it, the time is 8pm and by then, they just want to go to bed. The larger companies may have people that are designated to answer the phone or keep their guys on a schedule and you will pay for that. Problem is.... those guys might charge $40 while the smaller guy will charge $25. So if you can be a $25 guy without all the over-head and answer your phone.... you will soon move up to be the $40 big company that can have someone answer your phone..... but then the customers that had you mow for $25 will cancel and their woes will start all over again trying to find someone that will show up...... :)

4. DifficultTruth

DifficultTruth Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $573
    There is an entire show on CNBC called "Blue Collar Millionaires," pretty much all the industries featured on the show are ones named throughout the thread, and industries people claim are "bad," like roofing, wielding, pipe-fitting, plumbing, electrical, etc. Yet I am sure CNBC has no problem finding blue collar millionaires for their show, because they are all around. You might not notice them, because they still wear jeans and a t shirt, still drive an older pickup, no designer suits or lambos, yet they have 7, 8, and 9 figure net-worths. Sure, some of them spend some cash on toys, and those are usually the ones that make it on the show, but the ones that don't, they are the ones in your local gas station buying their coffee in the morning, in line next to you.

These blue collar guys are the ones I know, and I am sure part of it's my geographic region, I'm on the east coast, there are not silicon valley billionaire founders walking around. But you know what there are? At a local diner I go to for breakfast there is a table of generally older guys, usually around 10 of them. They wear jeans with holes in them, denim shirts, their hands are full of calluses, they shirts stitched with names of various local companies: towing, construction, etc. The difference between them and the other blue collar guys? It's their names stitched on their shirts, the tow yard a mile down the road filled with millions worth of heavy wreckers? Yup, the owner is the one who drove up in the beat up pickup, yet he has a farm with 100s of acres of private land just a few miles down the road off the main highway. The guy next to him? Well he owns a construction company and property development company, you know the huge shopping center with a 100 stores, and a big movie theater about 2 miles down the road? Yup, he owns it. You know the nearest 10 housing developments? He built all of that. Yeah, he splurged a little more and has a nicer truck, probably cost him 80k for it, oh, and his mansion that sits acres off the road so you'd never know it was there. It's only a few miles away too if you know what you're looking for. That table with the 10 rough looking old guys? They're worth more than 250 million combined. Know what else? They are not Stanford computer scientists, or Harvard MBAs, they've never even stepped foot in a community college, and they grew up poor down the street from my father. Unless you have the inside knowledge I have, you'd come into the diner, take a quick look and see a bunch of rough looking blue collar workers. I am sure this story plays out around the country.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  5. Duane

Duane Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $6,201
    This is so true in so many areas and so many services.

The big companies don't give a fu** because it's ran by a bunch of minimum wage employees that hate their jobs.

The small companies are mainly ran by workers with poor manners and communication skills, not business savvy entrepreneurs. So it's very hard to find a company with amazing customer service, and someone that is on point with everything they do. Replying back to customers, handling service complaints, and maintaining consistency in your services.

How do you dominate the service industry?

In the beginning, you will not get that many jobs, so you don't have to worry about not having the time to do it all. This is the most crucial part, you have to solve the problems/issues well, and give your customer an amazing experience. You have the free time to treat everyone special, so do it and they will sing praises about you to everyone because 0.1% of the companies out there genuinely care about the customer. 99.9% of the companies don't care about the customer, they only care about getting paid. After mastering your craft and getting some good jobs under your belt though, you'll get some buzz about your company and you will start getting more and more calls. This is you differentiating yourself from the competition and you will see it pay off in your phone starting to blow up all day.

This is where the 12+ hour days come in to play. In the beginning, you will work from 8 am until it's dark out and you can't work anymore, and all while working, you have a blue tooth headset with 2 portable chargers and you're answering the phone and talking to customers. Have the customers text/email you their contact info and pictures of the job so you can provide quotes. Never let your phone go below 30%.

Get a calendar notification app and put everything down on your calendar so nobody gets forgotten about. Every single thing that you plan on doing even 1 hour in the future. I can't stress how important this is, my calendar is always full of 1000 little things, and I never forget about ANYONE'S problem that they called me about because I have my phone reminding me and I don't dismiss anything until after it's done. If I am about to do it, I snooze it 30 minutes until it's done.

When you get home every night after working, put all the jobs you picked up on email and send it out to the clients that you will be out there between X times... Invoice out all the jobs that you did that day... Check your ads and make the tweaks that you want to make (holy crap it's midnight already, I gotta go to sleep). Rinse and repeat until you are so busy you need to hire your first employee...

Go out with him for the first few months until he doesn't need you anymore, then go directly behind his work without telling him to make sure he is performing the same level of service you would be performing.

Then start playing the manager role where your employee/employees are doing the work and you are just giving great customer service. You are still differentiating yourself from the competition by providing the customers with great communication and managing your employees to where any issues they have are quickly solved. This is where you can start experiencing some freedom because all that you need to run your business is your phone/laptop. You can be in Vegas, on the beach, or wherever and answering phone calls and managing employees.

One thing that really kills your time, but is a smart move to make is having your employees send you pictures of all the jobs they do and you send them over to the customer with the invoice. It takes up some time, but I can't tell you how much it saves you on managing because you see the completed job so you don't have to worry if the employee is showing up and doing the work or not. Install GPS trackers in your vehicles as well and you can check on your phone where the employees are at any time.

Eventually you have enough employees and cashflow to where you can hire a manager to take over your management role, and now you're one of the big companies, but you can still differentiate yourself from other big companies on procedures that you implement with management making sure everyone is doing their job properly and still providing an amazing service for your customers. I have a lawn service company that is a massive company, but they are amazing with how they run their operation, and I will never go to a different company. They charge premium prices, but I don't care because I know I'm getting high caliber work and service.

6. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $397,011
    Admin Post
    Amen!

If you're expecting "Fastlane" 7 minutes after starting, rut roh! Disappointment!

7. minivanman

Rep Bank:
    $14,113
    As I was on my way to Jack In The Box at 10pm for my lunch..... yep, time slipped away today! lol Anyway, I was reminded of another business. There is a guy that started his business many years ago picking up trash in shopping center parking lots. Not the guy driving the truck through the parking lots.... he has 1099 workers picking up the trash on the sidewalks, the grass areas and anywhere a truck can't get to. If I remember right he makes about $600,000 a year.

8. NadiaZ

NadiaZ Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $279
    childcare, mowing lawns, raking leaves, snow removal.

There's so many ways to make cash if you just look for it :)

Late Bloomer and FastLaner007 like this.
  9. Simon Ashari

Simon Ashari Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $624
    IMO this thread is now gold.

MooreMillions and Late Bloomer like this.
  10. 12B745

12B745 Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $145
    [QUOTE="
    15. Exotic Animal Breeding/Trading
    [/QUOTE]

My girlfriend and I are actually planning on doing this bit once I can secure funding. The breeding part is more the community and conservation reasons. However, there's some ideas tagged along to help make this bit profitable.

11. KimSemiglia

KimSemiglia Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $162
    What can you do with childcare?
    My friend is thinking about going to school for 4 years to be a school counselor because she LOVES kids and I told her don't waste your time.

I spent like an hour looking at possibilities for her dealing with kids and most of them require education.

I just haven't brought it up again because I can't back up an alternative for her.

(and really it's a friend. Disliking kids is my biggest flaw.)

ChrisR and NadiaZ like this.
  12. NadiaZ

Rep Bank:
    $279
    Go to a local wealthy neighborhood. Tons of those parents have nannies and need someone to just watch over their kids when they're on vacation or just at work. Once you meet one of the mom, all the moms know each other and will refer you. Or you can just advertise your services on Craigslist or one of the many sites that offer nanny services.

These are just odd jobs. Not something you need to be certified for. I know plenty of young girls who make $20-50/hr (sure it's not fastlane) but if you need some quick cash it helps.

Also, if you're really good at cleaning houses or providing top lawn care, you can get paid like $50-$100/hr. People who have nice homes don't like to hire just anybody. Typically, you need a referral so start getting to know people ASAP.

After making connections, you can always hire people to do the physical cleaning and nannying and just take a profit.

13. Real Deal Denver

Real Deal Denver Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $8,928
    Man - sure changed from the pocket change I was thrown when I was a youngster...

14. PureA

PureA Winners never quit Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $8,672
    B-B-B-But then how can I sit on a beach with my laptop?

15. jon.M

jon.M The Well Defined Forum Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $390
    I think these ideas are interesting.

Bamboo grows fast and is very versatile. Maybe you could even grow bamboo on your own and manufacture high-end furniture or flooring with it. Marketable as "Grown and made in the USD" or whatever country you're in.

Mushrooms are also captivating. There was this man on a Joe Rogan podcast who spoke about them, and I even think he grew some species and sold them as nutritional supplements:

16. Doug Smith

Doug Smith Changing Lanes Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $380
    I love this list. Especially the obscure ones that most people would claim "That won't work"

Late Bloomer likes this.
  17. NuclearPuma

NuclearPuma Bronze Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,083
    One idea I pondered for a few days was if there was a way I could make farming aquatic plants profitable. I decided the demand was too low, margin too low, and regulations too high to be worth the time. Not to mention overseas competition. However I have seen someone succeed with this but the plants were secondary.

Late Bloomer and jon.M like this.
  18. minivanman

Rep Bank:
    $14,113
    Just in case you plan to do the cleaning gig.... stay away from large houses and rich people in a wealthy neighborhood. You will make MUCH more money with regular sized houses, mom & dad working, just regular people and can scale much faster.

Real Deal Denver..... That would change if more kids got off the couch and went out and worked like in our day. Without the 'kids' keeping the prices low, adults come on to the scene and the prices go up.

Late Bloomer, Magneto C and NadiaZ like this.
  19. NadiaZ

Rep Bank:
    $279
    There's like 0 competition in my area. There's one kid who started a lawn care company and is making good money and didn't even go to college.

Neighbors saw me cleaning a yard and thought it was weird because I was female but they were also kinda pleasantly shocked to see me working.

Late Bloomer and minivanman like this.
  20. Ronak

Ronak Silver Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $8,374

This. Most of the guys don't have a dedicated person to answer the phone, doing that alone would probabaly significantly boost sales. I remember one time I was getting voicemail after having called 6-7 guys. One of them actually called back and YELLED at me for NOT leaving a voicemail. How hard would it be to compete against that?

Another issue- billing. It's 2018, and most still take payment only by check and snail mail. I just want to give them a credit card on monthly rebill and I literally cannot do it.

21. NuclearPuma

NuclearPuma Bronze Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,083
    I saw a truck on the highway a few years ago that offered dog poo clean up service. I'll probabaly never forget the hideous paint full vehicle job. And the letters were brown. It was memorable. Not sure if it scales well you'd have trouble finding employees and demand might be too low.

22. JohnnyAppleseed

JohnnyAppleseed Goyim Gone Wild Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,187
    Mushroom farming is so difficult. I thought about making a progress thread on it and to promote it as a side hustle but I've quickly realized that most people should not even attempt. Right now I am crossing the desert of desertion trying to learn the process and let me just say that contamination is a heart breaker!!!

If I had the land for it I would definitely have done bamboo instead but I'm a broke teenager who lives in a subdivision. I might switch over one day but it's going to depend entirely on if I am able to scale the mushroom farm.

23. minivanman

Rep Bank:
    $14,113
    Yes, billing. Lots and lots of guys have no clue how much you owe them. They are so busy working, they have it set in their mind they don't have time for paper work and then wonder why they can't buy food on Friday.

I would think the dog poo business would be an add on for something like dog walking or pet/house sitting or mowing or even house cleaning but it usually isn't an add on. I just don't see how it makes any money by the time you drive there and then do the job. Along with dog poo pick up... I've yet to see one named Scooby's Doo but I always thought that would be a great name... I think they should clean the cat liter box also. I just don't see any real money in it though. That's why I never added it on.

Late Bloomer and Ronak like this.
  24. JohnnyAppleseed

JohnnyAppleseed Goyim Gone Wild Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,187
    101. Global Business Arbitrage

I just came up with this idea while trying to sleep. But basically it comes off like this.... What if you stole a business plan common from another country and started normalizing it in another country where it is not popular or well known (assuming you could find a market for it)?

Some examples might include bamboo farming in the USA, opening up a Taco Bell franchise in Australia, or opening up shop as an orthodontist/selling teeth whitening products to British people.

Obviously this strategy could work anywhere but it would probably be easiest in a developing country that is behind yours technologically speaking or possibly radically different from yours culturally speaking; depending on the market of course.

25. Real Deal Denver

Real Deal Denver Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $8,928
    I talked to a guy that did the poo biz one time when I was filling up gas.

He worked for poop911. These guys have this figured out to a T.

Customers sign up on their website and pay the company direct. The company is nationwide, and sends out a list of their customers a day in advance. Great business model - an exact list of what to do everyday. No inventory. No overhead. No billing. Discount on poo for employees and their families.

The company pays the area offices their cut. I like this model, as the company is in charge of everything, and is ensured of getting their cut.

This guy getting gas was driving a mini pickup. Great logo paint job on all sides. Couldn't miss him if you tried. Turns out they have seven crews, each with their own truck, working full time doing this. He wouldn't tell me what they did with the poo, but he said it wasn't fertilizer as it had too much sodium in in and would burn the soil.

In a bigger city, this could be a gold mine. They start at $9.95, and go up from there. Not bad for a 15 minute job, start to finish. That's $40 an hour income per hour, minimum. Might not be a high priced high flying biz, but with seven crews, they are probably pulling in a grand a day. Not huge - but maybe $30 grand a month?

And I think they have an iron clad guarantee. If you're not 100% satisfied, double your poo back.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.