The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

1 year later - now what ...?

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

oddball

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Mar 8, 2011
Austin, TX
In todays day of the internet they have made building sites easier than ever. Sure you can customize sites more if you know coding but it is not needed

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Talisman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
May 19, 2011
Australia
1) What 30 day challenge you are talking about?

2)Did you learned web programming languages like php from scratch or you used something else. There is a belief,wrong or right, stuck in my mind that you have to learn these languages to create a good site. Just like demarco wrote in his book .

I'm not laverdure, but I can answer these for you:
30 days.. 30 day challenge: The Challenge
Basically a guide to doing one thing a day for 30 days, leading you to making a dollar, or something like that. It's a good basic guide to understanding the principles of internet marketing and all that goes with it.

As for websites etc - as zen******* stated.. There is more than one way to skin a cat. So many free things out there, to make simple or complicated sites, but it sounds like all Laverdure did was find traffic, understand it, and then build landing pages with strong sales pitches directed at that demographic.

I say "all Laverdure did" with due respect, he's obviously made a tidy sum.

GoldRider

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Dec 4, 2012
I will start with a free host at zymic.com. Can anyone direct me to a free guide to building a good looking site? I am a begiiner in this. Need some directions pls.

Thanks.

awesom-o

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Aug 10, 2011
United Kingdom
Fantastic to hear you go from a bad situation into a incredibly good one in just 12 months- all with hard hard and persistence!
Congratulations and well done :)

Just wondering do you use CPA networks to promote your banners for you or did you do it yourself?

Laverdure

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Jan 18, 2012
Laverdure, I appreciate your post.I have 2 questions.

1) What 30 day challenge you are talking about?

2)Did you learned web programming languages like php from scratch or you used something else. There is a belief,wrong or right, stuck in my mind that you have to learn these languages to create a good site. Just like demarco wrote in his book .

I didn't learn ANY programming stuff excepted for stupid stuff that I had to do myself ... like changing my href links .. lol
(out source this part if you aren't good and you don,t like it)

30 day challenge from ed dale .. back back in the days.

Laverdure

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Jan 18, 2012
Fantastic to hear you go from a bad situation into a incredibly good one in just 12 months- all with hard hard and persistence!
Congratulations and well done :)

Just wondering do you use CPA networks to promote your banners for you or did you do it yourself?

I use my banners and landers that I create or outsource to promote cpa netowrk

Laverdure

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Jan 18, 2012

DavidofMN

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Apr 19, 2011
Stillwater, MN
He means that you used a process (from the book) not some one time event to make this happen. You investigated websites, figured out demographics, made banners, joined CPA networks, etc.

It is an understated complement to your actions and success.

Laverdure

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Jan 18, 2012
He means that you used a process (from the book) not some one time event to make this happen. You investigated websites, figured out demographics, made banners, joined CPA networks, etc.

It is an understated complement to your actions and success.

thanks ..

yeah .. basicly .. you got to go through all these things without making any penny ..

D

DeletedUser2

To illustrate Laverdues point....

finding the traffic source is the 1st step.

lets say you see a crowd milling around.
and you say, HEY, what are you guys doing here. the crowd may respond with some different answers. here is an example.

Crowd: where here to see a Concert!

OR

Crowd: we are here to go to the races

OR

Crowd: we are here looking for girls to date...

NOW, once you know what the crowd has in common, (since they are all individuals, BUT are crowded together for a common reason)

Then you can offer them something.

such as

YOU: would you like to buy a concert Tshirt?

or

YOU: would you like to rent some binoculars?

or

YOU: do you want to meet girls that live near you?

once you know what the crowd wants, you can test different messages. until you find one that seems to get the most response.

YOU: do you want to meet fun girls to date
YOU: do you want to meet girls who want to get married
YOU: do you want to meet girls who like concerts or races?

eventually you can hone in on what the crowd is looking for.

NOW comes the easier part (but most people get it backwards)

LOTS of very creative people have put together products. BUT they may not know how to find the right crowds. (the internet is a big place)

SO you go to where the people have products for sale and offer a nice little commission if you help them sell their offer.
CPA NETWORKS. Affiliate Marketing - Find the Best Affiliate Programs and CPA Offers from OfferVault is an aggregator of dozens of different networks, with Hundreds of offers on each.

PICK AN OFFER or 3 that fits your crowd. Offer it to them.

LANDER'S are simple pages that prepares a person to be introduced to the offer, and has a strong call to action.

test test test. to see what works best.

then its BUY traffic. (pay for banners in front of your crowd, and watch the numbers)

1st round. you pay 1 dollar, and make 60 cents back.
change the offer, change the banner, change the text (example: Married vs Dating.)
2nd round you pay 1 dollar make 90 cents back. Test, change, test.
3rd round. you pay 1 dollar, make 1.20 back. whooo hooo. your there!
scale up.

the key here is to understand the crowd your in front of.

if you bought a banner on this site, the crowd here is mostly money chasing wannapreneurs. so, what would you offer them?

that's pretty much a simplification of what Chris did.

he just did it, in spite of having VERY little money to start, in spite of not being sure, in spite not knowing php, css or anything about coding.

he figured the most important part out. crowd--->offer. the rest, he outsourced. to graphic guys, to coders ect. very cheap..

Hope that helps

Z

BeachBoy

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Jul 12, 2011
yes, I come from Mirabel (to the north of MTL)

raised in Ste-Scholastique, that's deep Mirabel:) On the South Shore now. Congrats on your success, you're close to iCar if you're into powerful cars!

Is your market global, US or Canadian/Quebec?

BeingChewsie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 27, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Hi Laverdure,

Congrats!

How long of a process was this for you? Did I understand correctly from your first post that it took you 9+ months of investing your own money and sounds like countless hours to make money doing this? It is hard to tell from your posts if this took you a long time to do or if it just took a few months to go from 0 to 5- almost 6 figures/monthly profit.

Edit again to add:

Can you or someone else post a link to a "lander" that was selling someone else's products? I don't think I have ever seen what you are talking about? I have been clicking links all over the place today and they all seem to take me to the actual product site, not a site I have to click through to get to a sales page for the original site/product.

When you say you go on "trafficsource" do you mean the site that sends targeted traffic to your website? or do you mean you go find a traffic source...like this forum and study the needs/wants/habits of folks like us?

Sue

Laverdure

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Jan 18, 2012
To illustrate Laverdues point....

finding the traffic source is the 1st step.

lets say you see a crowd milling around.
and you say, HEY, what are you guys doing here. the crowd may respond with some different answers. here is an example.

Crowd: where here to see a Concert!

OR

Crowd: we are here to go to the races

OR

Crowd: we are here looking for girls to date...

NOW, once you know what the crowd has in common, (since they are all individuals, BUT are crowded together for a common reason)

Then you can offer them something.

such as

YOU: would you like to buy a concert Tshirt?

or

YOU: would you like to rent some binoculars?

or

YOU: do you want to meet girls that live near you?

once you know what the crowd wants, you can test different messages. until you find one that seems to get the most response.

YOU: do you want to meet fun girls to date
YOU: do you want to meet girls who want to get married
YOU: do you want to meet girls who like concerts or races?

eventually you can hone in on what the crowd is looking for.

NOW comes the easier part (but most people get it backwards)

LOTS of very creative people have put together products. BUT they may not know how to find the right crowds. (the internet is a big place)

SO you go to where the people have products for sale and offer a nice little commission if you help them sell their offer.
CPA NETWORKS. Affiliate Marketing - Find the Best Affiliate Programs and CPA Offers from OfferVault is an aggregator of dozens of different networks, with Hundreds of offers on each.

PICK AN OFFER or 3 that fits your crowd. Offer it to them.

LANDER'S are simple pages that prepares a person to be introduced to the offer, and has a strong call to action.

test test test. to see what works best.

then its BUY traffic. (pay for banners in front of your crowd, and watch the numbers)

1st round. you pay 1 dollar, and make 60 cents back.
change the offer, change the banner, change the text (example: Married vs Dating.)
2nd round you pay 1 dollar make 90 cents back. Test, change, test.
3rd round. you pay 1 dollar, make 1.20 back. whooo hooo. your there!
scale up.

the key here is to understand the crowd your in front of.

if you bought a banner on this site, the crowd here is mostly money chasing wannapreneurs. so, what would you offer them?

that's pretty much a simplification of what Chris did.

he just did it, in spite of having VERY little money to start, in spite of not being sure, in spite not knowing php, css or anything about coding.

he figured the most important part out. crowd--->offer. the rest, he outsourced. to graphic guys, to coders ect. very cheap..

Hope that helps

Z

my english is even bad .. I needed someone to explain my whole process lol ..

so no english skill ---> no programming or design skill ---> basic marketing skill but being in front of the right crowd is paying a lot more than worrying about all the lack of your skill lol

Laverdure

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Jan 18, 2012
raised in Ste-Scholastique, that's deep Mirabel:) On the South Shore now. Congrats on your success, you're close to iCar if you're into powerful cars!

Is your market global, US or Canadian/Quebec?

I do as much country as I can .. euro america south africa etc ..

Laverdure

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Jan 18, 2012
How long of a process was this for you? Did I understand correctly from your first post that it took you 9+ m

8 months before making some good money

Did I understand correctly from your first post that it took you 9+ months of investing your own money and sounds like countless hours to make money doing this?

yes but I'm a very stupid guy so for brilliant and inteligent people less than 9 months ;)

It is hard to tell from your posts if this took you a long time to do or if it just took a few months to go from 0 to 5- almost 6 figures/monthly profit.

once you start making $100 a day in a big niche $100 or $10,000 is the same ... just a matter of spending more in a day and finding more place to duplicate your ads.

When you say you go on "trafficsource" do you mean the site that sends targeted traffic to your website?

I mean I go on network I broker traffic IE: let's say MJ DeMarco has 30 forum like this with plenty of traffic and he doesn,t want to handle the tarffic sale .. he will resell his traffic to a company that will manage it and resell it. That's where I would recommend to start and once you become bigger you can buy directly.

Can you or someone else post a link to a "lander" that was selling someone else's products?
I went on facebook clicked the first ads I saw and here is a lander Free Infusionsoft + PPC White Paper

this lander capture email ... the difference is ... this formula is giving you a bigger life time value.

some lander will be almost the same as this one but it will not capture your email .. it will pre sell you to take action on the next page which will be the offer.

BeingChewsie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 27, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
yes but I'm a very stupid guy so for brilliant and inteligent people less than 9 months

You are not stupid. Starting with as little money as you did and turning that into high 5-figures profit a month inside 9 months is really, really good. Do not short change yourself.

once you start making $100 a day in a big niche $100 or $10,000 is the same ... just a matter of spending more in a day and finding more place to duplicate your ads.

I mean I go on network I broker traffic IE: let's say MJ DeMarco has 30 forum like this with plenty of traffic and he doesn,t want to handle the tarffic sale .. he will resell his traffic to a company that will manage it and resell it. That's where I would recommend to start and once you become bigger you can buy directly.

OK. I admit I have no idea what you mean when you talk about networks and brokering traffic, but let's try to flesh this out. I guess I don't understand what buying traffic means. So you mean if MJ didn't want to sell the ad space on here himself, he would hire a third party to sell the ad space on this forum? So you go to those third party companies and buy ad space on websites/forums from them? Is buying traffic another way of just saying buying ad space?

I went on facebook clicked the first ads I saw and here is a lander Free Infusionsoft + PPC White Paper

this lander capture email ... the difference is ... this formula is giving you a bigger life time value.

some lander will be almost the same as this one but it will not capture your email .. it will pre sell you to take action on the next page which will be the offer.

Thank you!

Sue

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Is buying traffic another way of just saying buying ad space?

Yes. You buy a banner placement for a CPM price (cost per mille = per thousand impressions). So you buy 1000 views of your banner for example for $0.5. How much traffic results from this is up to you and the kind of banner you place there. The higher the clickrate, the higher the traffic you get.

Thats how it works with the traffic networks.

If you have a profitable campaign with them you can try to buy the traffic directly from the website. In that case you buy the same banner spot, but don't pay a CPM price to a broker, but pay $5000 (just an example) to the site owner to show your banner exclusively for 1 month.

BeingChewsie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 27, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Yes. You buy a banner placement for a CPM price (cost per mille = per thousand impressions). So you buy 1000 views of your banner for example for $0.5. How much traffic results from this is up to you and the kind of banner you place there. The higher the clickrate, the higher the traffic you get.

Perfect. Thank you. We do this now. I wanted to make sure we were not missing out on some other buying opportunity, like maybe you could actually go and buy a specific amount of traffic and have it directed to your site somehow. I'm wondering if we need to start investing more money into buying ads, we drop most of our money into content, people need a reason to come and all that, but maybe our velocity of money would be faster if we bought more traffic. Hmmm. This has given us something new to test. Thanks.

Sue

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada

zen******* - What exactly are you doing to "test" these messages to see if they work?

Once you find something that you think you can sell to them are you then creating the landing pages yourself and you get a cut if you succeed in your task (signups, selling...)? Have you ever heard of software called Premise or do you use anything in specific to create your landing pages?

D

DeletedUser2

zen******* - What exactly are you doing to "test" these messages to see if they work?

Once you find something that you think you can sell to them are you then creating the landing pages yourself and you get a cut if you succeed in your task (signups, selling...)? Have you ever heard of software called Premise or do you use anything in specific to create your landing pages?

so I posted this in another thread, but here is a quick example of a test.

pay attention to the structure of what we did rather than the thing we were testing.
2011-05-19_2157 - xendolphin's library

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
I do not want to steal this thread but I have one more question for zen*******.

How do you buy specific ad space for a location. Like say I am on facebook or a guitar forum and I want an ad to show up on that webpage, in the top section of the screen or something. How do you go about purchasing that space?

Please don't think that I am using you as a crutch. I am googling this stuff like crazy as well. I really appreciate your advice and help and am using you as a sort of turbo-charger for my car. I know I am going to get there, but will pro help it will be that much faster and smoother.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
I do not want to steal this thread but I have one more question for zen*******.

How do you buy specific ad space for a location. Like say I am on facebook or a guitar forum and I want an ad to show up on that webpage, in the top section of the screen or something. How do you go about purchasing that space?

Please don't think that I am using you as a crutch. I am googling this stuff like crazy as well. I really appreciate your advice and help and am using you as a sort of turbo-charger for my car. I know I am going to get there, but will pro help it will be that much faster and smoother.

You're googling for ways to advertise on facebook and couldn't come up with a solution? Seriously man? Thats the stupidest thing I ever heard :D Maybe try something else, technology might not be for you.

https://www.facebook.com/advertising

For individual websites you just contact the owner and ask him about advertising opportunites. He will either give you his prices or direct you to a network that is managing his inventory. You couldn't think of that by yourself?

CEBenz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Apr 16, 2011
Tacoma, Wa
Is there any way to promote zen******* to lightspeed? I mean seriously, just save us the need to give him speed. It's pretty much a given that whatever he posts will be absolute gold.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
In my defense I don't actually give a F*ck about facebook and I am doing home renos while popping on and off the computer, actually advertising is the next step in my information cycle so I imagine I would eventually find that out during my next real information gathering sessions. No need to be snarky.

CEBenz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Apr 16, 2011
Tacoma, Wa
In my defense I don't actually give a F*ck about facebook and I am doing home renos while popping on and off the computer, actually advertising is the next step in my information cycle so I imagine I would eventually find that out during my next real information gathering sessions. No need to be snarky.

I think he was just trying to give you a bad time.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012

Well, I'm glad for you that you do other stuff but thats not relevant.

What response exactly did you expect to your question? You told us you are "googling this stuff like crazy".
So what did you google to find information about how to advertise on facebook? If you googled "how to advertise on facebook" its the first result. Same for other similar queries.

So you're lying and are too lazy to even google it (because if you did it would have been the first result), but at the same time you ask us to "please don't think that I am using you as a crutch". Hmmm :nono:

By the way, I you wouldn't have lied so obviously about doing research yourself and just asked (remember there are no stupid questions.. well maybe on the internet there are), I would have given it to you with much less ridicule ;)

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
Good catch theag, now go pat yourself on the back. I have not been researching how to actually buy advertising. I have been looking at things like clickbank and offervault and things on landing pages. Looking around for other advertisements to see how they are done, looking at communities online to see what sort of advertising space is there and how it is presented. Thanks for being helpful.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.