The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

£50,000/week sitting in the bank

Bourbons

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Mar 28, 2016
Newcastle, UK
Hey guys,

My company is setting up a savings account in which we'll store the VAT, due every quarter, to ensure it's not drawn out as dividends, used in growth etc., anything that may make us unable to meet the payment when the time comes.

I'm just brainstorming as to any investments that can turn around quickly to put this money to use?

It's +/- £50,000 each week, growing to around £600-650k by the time the VAT bill hits.

Maybe a dead end for me, but it's fairly common practice in companies to do this, so perhaps could be a good fund/service set up to give an ROI on people VAT money..?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Yes I used to do that. Set it and forget it. It's a right pain to find you're overstretched and don't have enough to meet the quarterly VAT bill because you spent it on extra stock.

A dedicated short term (3 month) rolling investment business sounds good but the rates are so low these days would it be enough to entice businesses to go through the hassle of setting it up? You are not going to get much above base rate (0.75%) on a no risk investment. Even at 2% PA 600k is likely to give a return of only 3k over 3 months. Compare this with their own bank and they are not going to be much better off. Plus having these sums within their own bank gives them a little more leverage if/when they need to raise any finance.

If your company is turning over £4m to £5m per quarter are they going to be interested in earning and extra 1-2k entrusting their money with someone else? Personally I don't think they are. Good thinking though.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I'm just brainstorming as to any investments that can turn around quickly to put this money to use?

Not really. Not without taking any undue risk. When it comes to taxes/government BS, I wouldn't mess around. Because if you miss a payment, the % interest/fines far exceeds any investment you can make.

Tommo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Jan 21, 2018
Perth Australia
I used to use a
Hey guys,

My company is setting up a savings account in which we'll store the VAT, due every quarter, to ensure it's not drawn out as dividends, used in growth etc., anything that may make us unable to meet the payment when the time comes.

It's +/- £50,000 each week, growing to around £600-650k by the time the VAT bill hits.

Maybe a dead end for me, but it's fairly common practice in companies to do this, so perhaps could be a good fund/service set up to give an ROI on people VAT money..?
money market account with Tyndalls, either in the Isle of Man or Bristol I forget which. Back then it was a good return but no idea how much interest you'd get. Whey aye man.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.