The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I will help you find a product to sell on Amazon

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Hey bio thanks for doing this. I'm looking at vertical jump trainers, this is the main one on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001BL52MI/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20.

Seems to be fairly low quality and way too expensive. I think there is a fairly big market for something like this in a lower price range (say sub 150). High school athletes that don't have a D1 programs budget etc. The obvious thing would be to get rid of the base and do a wall or tree mount, clamp mount etc. Possibly sell the top part that you hit and different mounting options separately.

The above seller has a wall mount variety but its still 300+ dollars and requires you to screw into your wall. I would experiment with suction cups or pressure mount instead.

I like this niche. If you can find a good temporary way to mount it and provide a cheap tape measure I think kids would use it. Even if you could attach it to a basketball backboard some how.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Hello @biophase I was interested in selling care packages and snack packages on eBay, Amazon, and making a website for the brand. I have done the numbers and would be buying my products from Costco. So I have chosen assorted snacks from Planters cashews to Pringles to Cheez-it to Oreos, etc. All of these items come in bulk and are usually anywhere from .20 to .60 cents a unit. I have done the math and for 872 total units it will cost me around $440 with tax. That's about $0.50 / unit. I have over 25 products so there is a wide variety. There are a decent amount of competitors but the competition lacks professional appearance and most of them are selling multiple other items and aren't focused on just the care packages. I would offer multiple package deals. I must do the numbers for those still. So my question is.. What can I do different to knock out the competition and how do I get attention on my product verses the top AD on Amazon and eBay? Also, do you think it would be stronger to start a brand and sell through a website? The thing is I calculated the cost of everything and if I sold a package with 25 units for $23 with shipping and selling fees. I would only be making around 2-3 a box which is ridiculous and not worth my time.. So do I create a brand with a strong and professional appearance and charge more? Thanks! Looking forward to hearing what you have to say.

There's a ton of competition. You have to answer that question about being different and ranking. That's the whole idea of this thread. If you can't figure out a way to be different or to rank, you should choose an easier product, unless the current product is your passion.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

kutlarvadisi

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Nov 15, 2015
Hi

I find this Product :

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073L2G82R/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

This is how My product will be different :

Take Quality pictures
Better bullet points
Better description
Add Strong guarantee
Make a good packaging for the product
@biophase how do you make your products different if you don't find any bad reviews on competitors listing ??

thank you so much

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Hi

I find this Product :

Take Quality pictures
Better bullet points
Better description
Add Strong guarantee
@biophase how do you make your products different if you don't find any bad reviews on competitors listing ??

thank you so much

Better copy isn't a change to the product. What do the reviews tell you to improve?

kutlarvadisi

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Nov 15, 2015
Better copy isn't a change to the product. What do the reviews tell you to improve?

that the problem I don't find any bad reveiws for this product

if you are in this situation what are you going to different your product ?

thanks

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
Hi @biophase i have a general query about product sourcing.

On my Amazon course (ASM) we are taught to find products with BSR rank (300-6000) then improve on existing products which are higher quality, better images, more descriptive bullet points etc. (which is what you've alluded to in this thread).

I am however struggling with the mindset (if that's what you'd call it) regarding on how to approach this.

Should i be trying to build a brand of related products or look for random one off products that i can make profit on? For example i could sell a bike lock and my next product could be a Solar Panel garden light or i could look at selling a range of solar panel products or bike accessories.

Here's why i'm struggling with both ideas. Regarding building a brand, i'm struggling to find a niche i can relate and add value/passion to. Going back to my bike lock example, personally i've got a bike but i'm a very casual user of it. Sure, i could sell a bike lock but then to build that brand i'd have to sell other bike accessories which to be honest i know nothing/care about. On the plus side by building a brand i could build an email list of customers and it would be easier to promote new related products in future. If i were to launch one-off un-related products my business would then be solely reliant on Amazon and it would be difficult to grow outside of that platform. I'd also then have to create new brand names every time i launched a new product and possible register/trademark them.

I was all set to go to the Canton fair next month but i didn't want to go unless i've got an idea on the direction i want to go. I've certainly got analysis paralysis regarding product selection but i know that choosing the correct products is the most important factor of this business.

Any pointers would be gratefully appreciated.

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium

thanks

Nothing, go find another product. There's plenty of them.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Hi

I find this Product :

Take Quality pictures
Better bullet points
Better description
Add Strong guarantee

thank you so much

But that product already has decent photos, bullet points and descriptions. I don't know if a guarantee would work. I mean how often does this product break.

I would redesign the product and make it better. Take some time and come up with a better product instead of just doing the easy stuff.

I also see a bunch of similar products with low numbers of reviews and bad reviews.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

thanks

That's for you to figure out. You can do a different one, maybe a periodic table, or one that focuses on just math, etc...

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Hi @biophase i have a general query about product sourcing.

On my Amazon course (ASM) we are taught to find products with BSR rank (300-6000) then improve on existing products which are higher quality, better images, more descriptive bullet points etc. (which is what you've alluded to in this thread).

I am however struggling with the mindset (if that's what you'd call it) regarding on how to approach this.

Should i be trying to build a brand of related products or look for random one off products that i can make profit on? For example i could sell a bike lock and my next product could be a Solar Panel garden light or i could look at selling a range of solar panel products or bike accessories.

Here's why i'm struggling with both ideas. Regarding building a brand, i'm struggling to find a niche i can relate and add value/passion to. Going back to my bike lock example, personally i've got a bike but i'm a very casual user of it. Sure, i could sell a bike lock but then to build that brand i'd have to sell other bike accessories which to be honest i know nothing/care about. On the plus side by building a brand i could build an email list of customers and it would be easier to promote new related products in future. If i were to launch one-off un-related products my business would then be solely reliant on Amazon and it would be difficult to grow outside of that platform. I'd also then have to create new brand names every time i launched a new product and possible register/trademark them.

I was all set to go to the Canton fair next month but i didn't want to go unless i've got an idea on the direction i want to go. I've certainly got analysis paralysis regarding product selection but i know that choosing the correct products is the most important factor of this business.

Any pointers would be gratefully appreciated.

I would build a brand vs chasing individual products. Regarding the bike lock, that doesn't mean you are in the bike business. You could be in the lock business and expand through more locks and maybe then into security products.

exclusives88

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
May 28, 2014
Here is neat trick I learned.

If you put a keyword in Amazon Search, it pulls up the popular phrase with the keyword in the front. For example, if you put "party", it will show "party favors" or "party supplies".

If you put the keyword in the Amazon Search and then put a # in front of it, it will show you the most popular long tail keyword with the keyword anywhere in the phrase. So if you put "party" with #, the 3rd most popular is "Unicorn Party".

If you search for Unicorn Party or Unicorn Party Supplies, you will find many products (plate set, hats..etc) that have almost the exact design, and not many reviews. In addition, according to JS they are all selling well.

Make a bunch of unicorn designs, put it on napkins, paper plate, banners... and sell it in a big package for large parties.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
If you put the keyword in the Amazon Search and then put a # in front of it, it will show you the most popular long tail keyword with the keyword anywhere in the phrase. So if you put "party" with #, the 3rd most popular is "Unicorn Party".

Badass tip.

Say my keyword is 2 or 3 words. Any idea on how to get this # trick to work? I tried it a few different ways with no luck.

The #singlekeyword is awesome though.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Here is neat trick I learned.

If you put a keyword in Amazon Search, it pulls up the popular phrase with the keyword in the front. For example, if you put "party", it will show "party favors" or "party supplies".

If you search for Unicorn Party or Unicorn Party Supplies, you will find many products (plate set, hats..etc) that have almost the exact design, and not many reviews. In addition, according to JS they are all selling well.

Make a bunch of unicorn designs, put it on napkins, paper plate, banners... and sell it in a big package for large parties.

This is close to a product one of my clients decided to do. Not unicorns but another theme. Plenty of room for everyone, astronaut, cars, trains, princess, ponies, dogs, animals, etc...

exclusives88

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
May 28, 2014
Badass tip.

Say my keyword is 2 or 3 words. Any idea on how to get this # trick to work? I tried it a few different ways with no luck.

The #singlekeyword is awesome though.

It works. If you want anything with Large and Kitchen.

Type Kitchen then put # in front

Click before the # and type Large and put a # before the Large

It's great to find long tail keyword for your PPC

RedKiteKid

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
May 29, 2017
UK
I love this thread, but it makes me want to jack in the two things I already have going on, or add a third. Testament to the ideas and knowledge being shared, but I must not allow my head to be turned!

Still, thanks for the infotainment.

KLaw

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2012
ohio
This is close to a product one of my clients decided to do. Not unicorns but another theme. Plenty of room for everyone, astronaut, cars, trains, princess, ponies, dogs, animals, etc...
What if I decided to buy a bunch of Disney themed items at wholesale? And then resale. Any worries about TM infringements? Thanks.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
What if I decided to buy a bunch of Disney themed items at wholesale? And then resale. Any worries about TM infringements? Thanks.

It's a good idea not to eff with the big mouse. They are very quick to send C&D notices and sue.

KLaw

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2012
ohio
It's a good idea not to eff with the big mouse. They are very quick to send C&D notices and sue.
Let me rephrase...if I bought a bunch of Mickey mouse themed items in bulk, could I resell legally with no licensing agreement?

E-Sharp

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jun 9, 2015

Let me rephrase...if I bought a bunch of Mickey mouse themed items in bulk, could I resell legally with no licensing agreement?

It's the same question, so it's the same answer -- not a good idea.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

kutlarvadisi

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Nov 15, 2015
Hi @biophase

What do you think about this product

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BBPMDCQ/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

I check other listing and all the negative reviews say the case the product arrived in is junk

So instead of using the same case as other sellers I will do wood case to improve the quality and differentiate myself

@biophase you share you opinion about this prodcut ?

thank you so much for your patience with us

Xhulio Tusha

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Aug 31, 2017
Metro Detroit
There's a ton of competition. You have to answer that question about being different and ranking. That's the whole idea of this thread. If you can't figure out a way to be different or to rank, you should choose an easier product, unless the current product is your passion.
Truly i'm not passionate about selling snacks.. Haha, but I do see a possibility to build a brand out of it. I've been working on a website and getting photos together because I already bought my first batch. See I see that people would rather pay to someone who has a brand and looks professional rather than some sketchy eBay account that also sells dildos (True story, was browsing through some of the eBay sellers and went to their profile and found dildos and snackpackages) but anyways.. How would I be different from the competition? I'd do custom packages, custom boxes, gift wrapping available, special custom note inside (if it's a gift). Offer the best of the best in snacks. That way offering all these incentives not only attracts the customer but builds my brand allowing me to charge a few dollars more than my competition to make it profitable. Listen, most people already doing this are only doing it through ebay and Amazon and a few small brands but with the right marketing tactics and the quality of the package I think it can be a successful idea. After starting it off I believe the item will sell itself. Let me know what you think.

Parker P

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Aug 25, 2017
San Jose, Ca
Hey @biophase

How about an inflatable lounger like this?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06ZYDSWQB/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

When I typed in "inflatable lounger", 481 results popped up. I'm not sure how many results constitute as high competition so I'm wondering if you would consider this a high competition product?

Anyways, this listing has a 3.5 star rating so there are clearly some flaws here. Some of the low star reviews say that after just a few uses there was a small puncture or some kind of leak that caused it to deflate. Perhaps stronger material or better sewn seams would solve this.

Also, many of the low star reviews say that it's hard to inflate and you can end up looking like a weirdo running around for a while trying to inflate it. Maybe some pump that would be included would solve this?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Hey @biophase

How about an inflatable lounger like this?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06ZYDSWQB/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

When I typed in "inflatable lounger", 481 results popped up. I'm not sure how many results constitute as high competition so I'm wondering if you would consider this a high competition product?

Anyways, this listing has a 3.5 star rating so there are clearly some flaws here. Some of the low star reviews say that after just a few uses there was a small puncture or some kind of leak that caused it to deflate. Perhaps stronger material or better sewn seams would solve this.

Also, many of the low star reviews say that it's hard to inflate and you can end up looking like a weirdo running around for a while trying to inflate it. Maybe some pump that would be included would solve this?

I’m sorry if this comes off as mean, but are you serious? I can’t tell if you are sincere or just trolling because this is the absolute number one worst product to ever sell on Amazon. If you could look up what not to sell on Amazon you would see a picture of this product.

That’s why I am not sure if you are serious. If you are I apologize.

This product is a case study of what sellers taking an Amazon class would sell. It has so much competition and the product is so bad that you saw prices go from $100 down to $20 in a few months. All the reviews for every product are so bad. Tons of fake reviews and giveaways were done on these.

Parker P

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Aug 25, 2017
San Jose, Ca
I’m sorry if this comes off as mean, but are you serious? I can’t tell if you are sincere or just trolling because this is the absolute number one worst product to ever sell on Amazon. If you could look up what not to sell on Amazon you would see a picture of this product.

That’s why I am not sure if you are serious. If you are I apologize.

This product is a case study of what sellers taking an Amazon class would sell. It has so much competition and the product is so bad that you saw prices go from $100 down to $20 in a few months. All the reviews for every product are so bad. Tons of fake reviews and giveaways were done on these.
I was actually serious but don't worry, I didn't take it as a mean response :smile:

I've just begun learning what to look for and what not to look for in potential products so I was genuinely serious about if that was a good product or not. I totally should've done more research though before asking, but now I know it really isn't a good product at all. Thank you though!

Stevo1

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Jun 23, 2014
What about a product like this? Designer indoor enclosures for small pets. Most of what's out there looks quite boring and stands out as just a cage for a small animal. This is something that fits in with the decor of the house or kids room.
Could be targeted at Rat, Hamster, Gerbil owners etc
Could be made in different colors or wood blends.

Challenge is probably that you would need to make a fair bit of change to the item before selling or potentially even designing a basic model myself.

Upside is aimed at the higher end of the market I expect there could be a nice margin in these.
efea6efd2e041fc51948f3706eb6265b.jpg

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.