The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hit the quarter life crisis - need advice

Anything related to matters of the mind

N.Entrepreneur

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Jun 3, 2013
Boston, MA
Hi Fastlaners,

I wanted to make a thread in hopes some of you could give me some general life advice or direction as I believe I'm in a quarter life crisis.

Quick background: I am 25 y/o, currently a licensed CPA and working at a large mutual fund company. I went into accounting because it came pretty easily to me, I know I'd have job security and it was one of the more "prestigious" jobs/careers. I feel like I get no enjoyment or satisfaction from my job and hate the idea of not being able to live my day to day life on my own schedule.

I'm generally unhappy and depressed these days and I am fairly certain it comes down to my career choice. There is no work life balance and I feel like a prisoner, going to his cell everyday where I have to serve my time each day until I'm released and can live again.

I'm all over the place at the moment, I've considered switching careers, jobs, relocating for work, or finally taking a step toward the Fastlane. I read the book a few years ago and have lurked the forum periodically. I have no roots where I am - aside from my small immediate family, I'm single and have a good amount of savings built up ($60k) with very minimal monthly expenses. I feel like I'm at a huge crossroads in life and it's time for me to make a decision, but I am not sure where to start or what I should go into.

Can anyone offer some advice or direction on how I should approach this?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JokerCrazyBeatz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 1, 2016
1. Find a niche (preferably one that's already got a want)

2. find the best audience to market your niche to

3. Advertise to your target audience

4. Perfect your methods and repeat untill you either become successful or find out the niche is not for you

This forum is the best place to be if u wanna be a successful entrepreneur TBH

While executing each MAIN step u will find there are Lil bullet point steps u have to conquer b4 you reach the next one . Good luck and welcome !

conquer

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
327%
Apr 30, 2016
Since your really tight on time, I would look into ecommerce. Either creating your own products or selling products of another company.

There are plenty of threads here on eCommerce. A few notable members to read up on:
@biophase
@G_Alexander
@JasonR

Read: Think and Grow Rich, Fastlane Millionaire

Incase you didn't know, Phil Knight was a CPA before he founded what is known today as Nike.

H. Palmer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 12, 2011
Fastlane Metro
Hi Fastlaners,

I wanted to make a thread in hopes some of you could give me some general life advice or direction as I believe I'm in a quarter life crisis.

Quick background: I am 25 y/o, currently a licensed CPA and working at a large mutual fund company. I went into accounting because it came pretty easily to me, I know I'd have job security and it was one of the more "prestigious" jobs/careers. I feel like I get no enjoyment or satisfaction from my job and hate the idea of not being able to live my day to day life on my own schedule.

I'm generally unhappy and depressed these days and I am fairly certain it comes down to my career choice. There is no work life balance and I feel like a prisoner, going to his cell everyday where I have to serve my time each day until I'm released and can live again.

I'm all over the place at the moment, I've considered switching careers, jobs, relocating for work, or finally taking a step toward the Fastlane. I read the book a few years ago and have lurked the forum periodically. I have no roots where I am - aside from my small immediate family, I'm single and have a good amount of savings built up ($60k) with very minimal monthly expenses. I feel like I'm at a huge crossroads in life and it's time for me to make a decision, but I am not sure where to start or what I should go into.

If you chose your profession because of job security you should not be surprised you're not satisfied with it.
This is the root of your problem.

You want things - enjoyment, satisfaction, control over your time - that are not compatible with the job you chose.

First step is: what do you REALLY want?

Do you want the freedom to set your own hours or the security of a monthly pay check?
You cannot have it both ways.

You have to make a choice.

beatgoezon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Aug 31, 2013
Your situation sounds very similar to mine bro, finishing my accounting degree up and had no interest in it either( I did it because it was a "safety net" in a sort), and it's a huge anchor in my life.

I went through the quarter life crisis just recently as well where I felt I was losing myself and ended up losing a lot of drive and time because of not doing anything about it. I became a shell of my former, driven, energetic, determined self; I couldn't even recognize who I'd become and I'm sure you're going through the very same thing.

What helped me get things in perspective was this quote from Ben Franklin:

“Many people die at twenty five and aren't buried until they are seventy five.”

Benjamin Franklin

It's a natural feeling at this age for all the people I know personally, and sadly 99% of them chose to kill their dreams, desires, and higher ideals for security. I did as well for almost a year because of indecision and I've never felt so depressed in my life. In the end I've learned a lesson from all of this mediocrity:

Fastlane success isn't guaranteed due to so many variables, but I know one thing for sure which is at the end no matter what happens, it's better to make the decision and go all into the higher goals than to never try at all.

You're in a great position bud since you have a lot of capital saved up. First thing you should start is look into the market's needs. What requires solving? A better solution? What can you innovate and bring into the world that ultimately people would pay you for? List a bunch of these problems down and compare them to the CENTS principles. Is there anything you're particularly passionate about which also has a need gap you can fill?

Find something meeting the CENTS principles that you're ready to commit to for years and years possibly regardless of number of failures, and start building it up. Research your audience. Research the problem you're out to solve. Research the product or service you need to provide. Find a way to stand out from competition. Figure out how you're going to promote and market it. Most importantly, whatever you do, put your passion into your work even if it isn't what you would call a "dream job".

This is all very broad, but I hope this sheds some light on what you need to do man.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tapp001

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
May 24, 2016
These people here give great advice, but Im going to add my two cents anyway. If you fee like your work is a prison, then that is not going away. I feel like that too, and just figured it was a feeling that would pass with time. It won't. You need to start planning your next move.

You are in an awesome place to start building your fastlane vehicle. You have some capital you can invest to start, so you can start building a money tree without first wasting time fixing hemorraging debt or smashing the golden handcuffs. Do you live on your own or with family? Will they be supportive, or will you have to move out to get some working room?

The forum and strangers can't make decisions for you, but you are in an awesome place to take action, and I do think you will regret it if you don't. Quit if you have to. You are a professional, and you'll always be able to find another gig if you need one. Trust me on this. Im an expert at being fired and bouncing back :)

Torobaro

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Mar 30, 2016
Spain
Hi Fastlaners,

Read, check the forum and see some of the books peple recomend.

Read like a mad man, you never know which in which book you´ll find that something that helps you go where you already know you want to go.

Some authors that have had a huge impact in my life: Tony Robbins, Jerry Weintraub, Napoleon Hill

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Hate to rain further on your parade, but there's a better chance that the game is 1/3 over than it is that you have hit the quarter point.

Play like there is no tomorrow. There might not be.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
You solved his problem.

He's WAY past 1/4 done with his life.

Yup.

Problem solved.

I seem to have missed where YOU solved his problem.

There's only one person capable of solving his problem, and that ain't me. Or you.

Random internet strangers have no idea what the right answer is for him.

He has to find it for himself (as you know better than most people.)

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;
Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,
And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
-Robert Frost

Last edited:

OldFaithful

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Mar 11, 2016
Northwest Indiana
You're in a great position bud since you have a lot of capital saved up. First thing you should start is look into the market's needs. What requires solving? A better solution? What can you innovate and bring into the world that ultimately people would pay you for? List a bunch of these problems down and compare them to the CENTS principles. Is there anything you're particularly passionate about which also has a need gap you can fill?
OP, I'd second this advice...except for the passionate aspect. If you've found a CENTS need and it's not something that you're passionate about, do it anyway. Your passion can be about achieving the lifestyle you want and not necessarily about the need you're filling!

If you're lucky enough to find a need that's interesting to you, then good...but don't let the lack thereof deter you. You might spend the next 25 years looking for a CENTS approved need that you are passionate about. Just my 0.02

beatgoezon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Aug 31, 2013
OP, I'd second this advice...except for the passionate aspect. If you've found a CENTS need and it's not something that you're passionate about, do it anyway. Your passion can be about achieving the lifestyle you want and not necessarily about the need you're filling!

If you're lucky enough to find a need that's interesting to you, then good...but don't let the lack thereof deter you. You might spend the next 25 years looking for a CENTS approved need that you are passionate about. Just my 0.02
Agreed with going into a market regardless of passion, that's why I specifically said it must have a need, and should meet the CENTS principles.
The passion part is just there because if there is something @N.Entrepreneur particularly likes and there is a good need for it(though it's highly doubtful due to how rare that is) then he doesn't have to waste a single moment in "planning mode"

And exactly @OldFaithful about spending years looking for a "passion", it's sad to say but I think only a few rare people can make a Fastlane from their passion. Better thing to do is put passion into your work like Mike Rowe says(there was a discussion about this I read in another thread).

H. Palmer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 12, 2011
Fastlane Metro
You are a professional, and you'll always be able to find another gig if you need one. Trust me on this. Im an expert at being fired and bouncing back :)

This.

There is a very powerful thing called the comfort zone.

OP's current job is his comfort zone and although he is unhappy he is financially too comfortable now to make changes.

He shouldn't fear leaving his job however.

Because although a person can lose his job (voluntarily or not), the income aspect of his comfort zone stays exactly the same.

Sometimes life kicks you out of your comfort zone (like getting fired or leave your job and lose income), but you always climb back in it as far as income is concerned.

What changes is the security part of the comfort zone. When you say goodbye to your job you will be getting used to not having a job.

When you let this run, sooner or later your income will go back up to your current level. (Business, new job, day trading, whatever).

The trick is to raise the ceiling of your comfort zone as far as income and wealth are concerned.

Last edited:

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
It sounds like you are unhappy with life in general. There is nothing wrong with change and it can help at times. But, I believe that you need to figure out how to be happy in life regardless of the majority of circumstances. If you can find pleasure and satisfaction in your present situation, it will allow the future to look more clear.

tux

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Jun 13, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
Hi Fastlaners,

Hey there, I'm 2 years older than you and hit my crossroads just like you about 2 years after working full time as a team lead / developer. I had < 10,000 in the bank and decided I did not like the life I was living, working 60 hours a week at a company that I actually hated. I'd wake up in the morning wishing I didn't have to go in. The anguish finally built up and I put my letter of resignation in. Even though I only had a few months savings in my bank account I knew that I'd be much happy if I went out on my own making money for myself.

I'm not on the fast lane quiet yet, I'm still Freelancing while I build up my business so I can pay my bills but I've honestly never felt better.

With your amount of savings, I would say keep expense as low as you can, but enjoy life. I personally would quit my job if I had 60k in savings and hated my job.

I would at least take some time off traveling and enjoying yourself to figure out what will truly make you happy because no one else can define that.

If you ever need to chat feel free to reach out.

Best of luck.

Last edited:

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
JUST START.

bro im about to turn 26 and ive been doing my app stuff for almost 3 years now and I still don't know when I'll hit any form of job ending financial success. Maybe I'm just stupid but you don't wanna take any chances, JUST START NOW because IT CAN TAKE AWHILE.

pain of regret buddy, avoid it.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Your question and CHANGING your situation always comes down to one choice: What do you want more?

A comfortable paid incarceration? Or an uncomfortable freedom?

Most choose the former, especially when accounting for the sunk costs of your career.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
It sounds like you are unhappy with life in general. There is nothing wrong with change and it can help at times. But, I believe that you need to figure out how to be happy in life regardless of the majority of circumstances. If you can find pleasure and satisfaction in your present situation, it will allow the future to look more clear.

^^ This.

Why make it a "rant"?

Why call it a "crisis"?

(I hope) you're in good health.

(I hope) your immediate family are in good health.

You've savings.

You've already got a safe career while you work out what to do next.

You're only 25.

What would happen if you appreciated what you already have now?

Would that make you happier already?

Would you be more thankful for what you already have?

Would you also become more observant about what you have, and what's happening around you?

What would happen if you were more thankful, for your current situation, and to people around you?

Would you think less about what you want, and observe more what other people want?

Would this improve your ability to help people (aka give value)?

Some suggestions:

Who will you thank today?

Who will you help today?

What's stopping you?

Good luck!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.