The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

ZDS - Progress Thread - MMO Pulse

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

ZDS

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Oct 2, 2008
Well, my room-mate and I finally launched out video blog.

We have our first 4 videos up and have started our trench work!

<link to videos removed at OPs request>

This is our passion, so we decided to crush it.

We are really excited and hope this can really help us break into the industry. We have a bunch of ideas on how to position ourselves through this vlog once we gain some popularity! Our focus as of now is to build up our personal/company brand. We hope to get some advertisements after we develop a fan base and then eventually launch a fully functioning web site. We also have a few other ideas, we hope to branch off into(for example organizing a conference)

If you have any tips/thoughts/opinions, let us know!

Anyways back to work!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
D

DeletedUser394

Re: Progress Thread: Update

Wow, watched the first video. You're good at it!

Gogoogogogogo Good Luck :)

You have a great voice and personality for vlogs!

One thing though: Try to stop pacing back and forth (It's a bit annoying and a little disconcerting hehe)

I had no idea what an MMO was before this :)

Rem

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 14, 2009
Maine

I enjoyed it although I have no idea on the topic. Call it a generation gap issue maybe. The rocking back and forth isn't so bad. I get energy from it rather than those who just sit still and everything is monotone.

Keep doing it and you'll get better at it. Good luck !!

ZDS

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Oct 2, 2008

We're both actually right now in the trenches commenting on blogs/forums/etc, trying to get the name out.

I appreciate the positive comments! They were really helpful!

That first video is actually the one we consider the worst because we were both still trying to figure it out. We both feel that each episode was better than the last

BTW: MJ, russ, or anyone else: Can you add my forum name to the title.

ZDS

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Oct 2, 2008

Update: We both managed to put in about 3 hours each in commenting on blogs/forums etc etc.

We went to bed with 7 unique views(with about 4-5 hours left in that day) and woke up with 64!!

Definitely cool to see it working right in front of us!

Sparky

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Aug 28, 2007
London
Hi ZDS,

I just had a quick look at the site, but I have no idea what its about. Perhaps having a mission or a passion statement as a logo will tell visitors what you are doing.

And being mostly video content, are you doing any Video SEO (e.g. titles and/or transcripts)?

SEOmoz | SEO for Video Content

Just some thoughts,

Sparky

ZDS

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Oct 2, 2008
I will definitely check out that SEO for video content web site, thanks!

The title is just placement until we get a logo, but I don't quite know where I can get more information about what we do other than the about us.

I was thinking either they would know what the site is about immediately or would hit the about me page, but maybe I am narrowing my audience to much?[

Sparky

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Aug 28, 2007
London
Hi

The title is just placement until we get a logo, but I don't quite know where I can get more information about what we do other than the about us.
The title tag is a good place. As you are just starting your blog, the brand value of 'Zach and Cory' doesn't mean anything. I'd suggest something like:

MMO Pulse: Keeping the pulse of online gaming, by Zach and Cory.
or
MMO Pulse: The beat of online gamers, by Zach and Cory.

I was thinking either they would know what the site is about immediately or would hit the about me page, but maybe I am narrowing my audience to much?
As far as knowing what a visitor would do, I'd only go with the lowest common denominator - which might not necessarily be what you would do.

Questions I'd consider to moving forward:

• How big is the market you are targeting? (All MMO players, just certain players, Tuesday maintenance day when they can't play,...)
  • Who is your competitors in the marketplace?
  • What are they doing?
  • Can you compete?
  • What is your unique value proposition?
  • Are you going to get interviews with people in the industry? For example, if you interview someone from Blizzard, you might get some very high-value in pointing links from blogs like WoWInsider and so forth.
One site I follow that works almost exclusively with video content is:
Mixergy - Online Business Tips from Successful Entrepreneurs

Hope this helps. Keep going with the updates and your site.

bflbob

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 25, 2007
Endicott, New York, United States
I'm an old fart, but I was a big D&D fan in the day.

Still like playing some of the offline RPG stuff.

I agree with some of the comments above. I know nothing about MMO, so having an intro recording about it would help. I'd also work on getting a title and some sort of watermark in the video somewhere, to keep others from stealing your content.

Your back and forth style works well for me. You guys do a great job of passing off the conversation without stepping on each other. Likewise, you do a great job of pacing. You speak quickly enough to make it interesting, without sounding like a machine gun.

If you haven't read the recommendations elsewhere, take a look at Thirty Day Challenge for some video techniques -- music lead-in, fade-out, etc. I'd also edit out your beginning and end, so that you are just sitting at the table in both instances.

I look forward to meeting you at the B&P! Maybe you can show me how some of this new stuff works.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.