The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

YouTube's recent TOS change - a perfect example of Control

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
This is really annoying. I have a channel where I post content that is designed to be consumed without any interruptions. To interrupt the content with ads breaks the experience. The content simply cannot be enjoyed if an ad is placed anywhere on the video.

What sucks is if YT does this on my videos, it won't be YT that takes the heat. It will be me. Subscribers will be pissed and they'll direct their anger toward me in the comments. I don't have to read the comments, but responding to comments is part of why people stick around.

The benefit is that I can post the content for sale on my website. They can purchase and get ad free. But I want to have some content free on YT that can be consumed for free and shared so the channel grows and brings more people to the paid content on the backend.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA
This is really annoying. I have a channel where I post content that is designed to be consumed without any interruptions.
Some good arguments are being made that YT can't/won't throw ads on all content. And that they might even work to avoid ASMR and similar content as they recognize the negative impact on the viewer experience could lead to loss of viewers across the platform.

I have a monetized channel and there have been times when no ads appeared. It is so dependent on inventory of ads, where ad buyers want videos and...well a lot of other things beyond our control. After you are in the partner program you'll have the ability to remove ads or not monetize your videos.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Apparently, they've also made it so Age-Restricted content can no longer be embedded outside of YouTube. For those with this type of content, if you've placed it on your website, blog, or other external sites, all of your links are now broken and direct the viewer to click through to YT to watch.

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA
Apparently, they've also made it so Age-Restricted content can no longer be embedded outside of YouTube. For those with this type of content, if you've placed it on your website, blog, or other external sites, all of your links are now broken and direct the viewer to click through to YT to watch.
Interesting, I hadn't heard about that.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
To interrupt the content with ads breaks the experience
Few times i've seen ads appear as perfect cliffhangers.
With modern AI it's very possible to analyse speech on video and detect common exciting moments and put ad before they happen.
Not sure if google does this, but with their vast resources its possible.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Few times i've seen ads appear as perfect cliffhangers.
With modern AI it's very possible to analyse speech on video and detect common exciting moments and put ad before they happen.
Not sure if google does this, but with their vast resources its possible.
My kids have noticed this. It wasn’t YouTube, but they were watching cartoons on some free network and the ads come in just as something exciting is about to happen. I love hearing their squeals! Haha.

Kal-El1998

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Nov 25, 2020
So now every channel is monetized since ads will be on them? No more 1000 sub and 4000 watch hour rule?

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA
So now every channel is monetized since ads will be on them? No more 1000 sub and 4000 watch hour rule?
No - that is NOT what this means. You still need 1,000 subs and 4,000 watch hours to be in the partner program (monetized). What this means is that YT may put ads on content uploaded by creators that are NOT members of the partner program.

It is an example of CONTROL. YT controls their platform and continues to experiment with how to maximize value. Content creators have little to no control on this platform and should never think they do. If you use it as part of your "system" you must understand that you have no control and plan accordingly.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.