The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Your Thoughts On Meditation?

D

Deleted8v369

I began meditating 2 weeks ago. The reason was because I realized my mind has been drifting with thoughts for a very, long time. I guess most of you know our thoughts are the starting point for how we feel throughout the day and consequently, for how we act.

I noticed huge improvements. I can't describe this improvement exactly, but I feel more "mindful", especially in social interactions. You become aware of your thoughts and stop them before they develop into a chain of other, negative or useless thoughts.

I believe in today's age where we are bombarded with information, meditation is a must. Otherwise we are going to be taken away from this relentless river of information.

Anyways, in terms of "business", I didn't notice much improvement, however, I started being aware of the thoughts that made me wanna quit something, such as feelings of despair and thoughts related to shiny object syndrome ("there must be something better I can do").

What's your experience?
I started two years ago using Headspace. I find that it helps me to focus and not let my thoughts run away with themselves. It's definitely not just some hippy pseudo-science.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Photool

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jul 17, 2020
Orlando Florida
Personally Mediation to me is essential to clearing the noise in our current era of over stimulation- It's 100% a part of my daily rituals/protocol. I gain so much clarity, presence, and focus. I always see it as a reducing the static & noise in the mind, which has radical benefits on your body, one important one removing tension. I also get a multitude of transmissions and insights .

From my experience the most profound mediation is the simplicity- SILENCE- NO MOVEMENT . Your brain frequency drops down and you come in contact with your true self (which I describe as covered in static, mediation helps remove that static so you gain access to that pure part of you that is submerged in "noise" you think is you, your thoughts) .

Business/Deep thinking/Creativity : I also use it as a tool and system to allow creative ideas to pour in or to "release" over thinking . I've been observing this for years through my own experiences and have found a way to optimize it.

Example:
When I am thinking about a problem or studying something hard core and no answer comes to me, or I hit a road block - I will take a break and "meditate" . I completely let go of thinking about it , meditate and then "release" my logical mind . The creative part of my mind then outputs an insight or solution to the problem which would never have come overthinking, worrying, or logically trying to assimilate it! This has alot to do with logical vs creative side of the brain but It works every time even if not in the moment of mediation it will always come in recreation, relaxation or when your not thinking (why you usually get ideas in the shower etc..)

Fusing Mediation w things - My newest favorite exploration with mediation has been mixing it with other tasks, particularly with fitness.

Example : I'll do a workout and immediately after (while sweating) go straight into a 30 min mediation. Its a whole different experience, Its the most interesting elevating fusion of peace, power, and happiness. Highly recommend you try it out

Napoolion

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Feb 8, 2014
Yeah, it is great tool to recognize patterns of your own or forced on you bullshit. Also a very good stress relief and can make you more positive, secure and happier person.

Gepi

In it to win it
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jul 3, 2018
Germany
Meditation is amazing. It helped me get unstuck in so many ways.

But it is not for everyone. I need it at least 5 times a week otherwise my head will clog up and I get so unfocused. Without it I wouldn't be able to study, to work as productive, and so on. I am less reactive through it, can hold thoughts for longer, can recognize situations in which I would otherwise be anxious easier and be calmer. I have seen that I am everywhere, and nowhere at the same time. There is no meditator, just meditation. This is one of my favourite quotes. You see who you really are, and that there is no real fixed point except your pure conciousness.

But there are some things that just can't be done by looking inside. Sometimes you need some outer force to give you direction, sense of who you are, what you want.
Meditation is like the grease for your everyday life.

At some point you see that this is all you are, and you are all. And then you let that go, as well.

Yeah :blush:

Edit: Waking Up App is my favourite by a long stretch, and I tried a lot of meditation apps.

RealDreams

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jun 22, 2018
It's been 3 months since I started meditating 40 mins a day (20 mins in the morning and 20 mins at night).

I thought I'd give an update.

Pros:
- It helped me becoming more in touch with my inner self. I understand myself and my weakness more than I did prior to meditation.
- In social encounters, my frame of reality is way stronger than before. I don't care what anyone else thinks of me. I'm not anxious at all around people and pretty much am immersed in my own reality.
- Found out some bad habits and mental patterns I had for a long time.

Cons:
- It made me passive. As F*ck. It drained out the burning desire I had to change my life. From what I experienced, meditation weakens your "why's" to change your life. That's quite a shitty side-effect of meditation and honestly, it's making me wonder whether I should stop meditating cause I don't like this at all.

And that's the only con. But it's a big one.

Shortly, there's an huge tradeoff. In terms of mental health meditation helps, but if you want to smash it in life you should strive to have a burning fire inside you rather than dullness.

The problem is that to win in life you must have a desire. A strong desire. And for me meditation has progressively weakened that desire. That image I had in my mind of my desired self.

I'd be curious to hear if others experienced this as well.

Edit: can confirm what @Black_Dragon43 has been saying throughout the thread about meditation not really helping you to make money and win in life.

I'll post another update in a month.

Last edited:

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
It's been 3 months since I started meditating 40 mins a day (20 mins in the morning and 20 mins at night).

I thought I'd give an update.

Pros:
- It helped me becoming more in touch with my inner self. I understand myself and my weakness more than I did prior to meditation.
- In social encounters, my frame of reality is way stronger than before. I don't care what anyone else thinks of me. I'm not anxious at all around people and pretty much am immersed in my own reality.
- Found out some bad habits and mental patterns I had for a long time.

Cons:
- It made me passive. As f*ck. It drained out the burning desire I had to change my life. From what I experienced, meditation weakens your "why's" to change your life. That's quite a shitty side-effect of meditation and honestly, it's making me wonder whether I should stop meditating cause I don't like this at all.

And that's the only con. But it's a big one.

Shortly, there's an huge tradeoff. In terms of mental health meditation helps, but if you want to smash it in life you should strive to have a burning fire inside you rather than dullness.

The problem is that to win in life you must have a desire. A strong desire. And for me meditation has progressively weakened that desire. That image I had in my mind of my desired self.

I'd be curious to hear if others experienced this as well.

Edit: can confirm what @Black_Dragon43 has been saying throughout the thread about meditation not really helping you to make money and win in life.

I'll post another update in a month.

I thought Hal Elrod in the Miracle Morning book was ranting and raving about meditation.

I've been doing about 10 mins in the morning for 1 month. Hard to concentrate but I'll perservere.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
I began meditating 2 weeks ago. The reason was because I realized my mind has been drifting with thoughts for a very, long time. I guess most of you know our thoughts are the starting point for how we feel throughout the day and consequently, for how we act.

I noticed huge improvements. I can't describe this improvement exactly, but I feel more "mindful", especially in social interactions. You become aware of your thoughts and stop them before they develop into a chain of other, negative or useless thoughts.

I believe in today's age where we are bombarded with information, meditation is a must. Otherwise we are going to be taken away from this relentless river of information.

Anyways, in terms of "business", I didn't notice much improvement, however, I started being aware of the thoughts that made me wanna quit something, such as feelings of despair and thoughts related to shiny object syndrome ("there must be something better I can do").

What's your experience?

If you never take a shower, you will get quite dirty. You will get so dirty, you wont know that you are dirty. You will get use to being dirty. You probably would not be fun to be around. Your very presence would make a dramatic statement.

I consider meditation to be the same as taking a shower. If you never meditated, you may not be pleasant to be around, and you may not know why. A good rule of thumb, is to meditate each day, for at least the same amount of time as you shower, and for the same reasons.

danwan337

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Sep 23, 2020
India

What's your experience?

I had a similar experience to you. Meditation helps to remove the toxic thoughts from your mind. It helps to keep yourself free from unwanted thoughts and help you relax the entire day. Though you cannot remove thoughts from your mind completely, you can always eliminate the ones you don't want

RealDreams

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jun 22, 2018
If you never take a shower, you will get quite dirty. You will get so dirty, you wont know that you are dirty. You will get use to being dirty. You probably would not be fun to be around. Your very presence would make a dramatic statement.

I consider meditation to be the same as taking a shower. If you never meditated, you may not be pleasant to be around, and you may not know why. A good rule of thumb, is to meditate each day, for at least the same amount of time as you shower, and for the same reasons.
I agree, however, as I previously said, you can reach a point where meditation doesn't help you achieve your goals but quite the opposite.

It removes all your thoughts and desires. The detachment from outside things is a "side-effect".

If your life sucks (objectively), meditation isn't the cure to the problem. In fact, it will only make you complacent and you'll end up feeling okay for your bad lifestyle. That's my conclusion after 3 months of daily meditation. I became less and less "motivated" to achieve great things in life. I noticed this at the gym as well as in every other facet of my life.

I'd say meditation is awesome when your life is okay and you can "afford" it.

Bonetrousle

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 11, 2016
Meditation is invaluable, if you can get yourself into a consistent habit.
I remember back when I was in college I had an Accounting course that I found extremely boring. The homework was grueling and I didn't want to do it.
I also was really into meditation at the time, doing 1-2 hour stretches on a daily basis.
I found that on days when I did the meditation, it allowed me to sit and do the work until it was done, no matter how long it took or how badly I wanted to do something else.
In my opinion that's the greatest benefit of meditation for entrepreneurs, it unlocks the ability to do potentially boring work for hours. The 1-2 hours a day you spend on it yields 5+ hours of focused productivity.

Last edited:

Cyberthal

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Apr 14, 2020
Shenzhen
If meditation removes your desires undesirably, meditate in a different way.

You don't have to meditate on nothing. You can meditate however you want. Pick the way that most enhances your performance.

Your goal is money, not enlightenment, presumably.

Thinh

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Aug 11, 2018
I've been meditating on and off for about 4 years now.
Been doing it truly consistently since 1.5 years.

Did it change my life? Don't know. Doesn't seem like.
Did I reap benefits from it? Nope. It didn't make me a better entrepreneur/businessman, didn't increase my motivation level or made me more disciplined.

But I continue doing it because I actually enjoy doing it.
If you're doing meditation to get something out of it, you're doubly wrong: it won't change things magically for you, and you'd be better off doing something else.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida

You don't have to meditate on nothing. You can meditate however you want. Pick the way that most enhances your performance.

This is a good point. There are meditation techniques that take you through every emotion, that aid in problem solving, etc. You don't have to quiet your mind only... that's simply one technique, or an entry point. Use meditation to wind yourself up if that's what you need.

RealDreams

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jun 22, 2018

This makes sense.
My goal is not necessarily making money (at least for now), it's fixing my life. And if I become complacent with what I have now, nothing will change in my life and I'll remain stagnant.

I've been meditating simply by focusing on the breath and shutting off the mind. Apparently it was the wrong technique...

This is a good point. There are meditation techniques that take you through every emotion, that aid in problem solving, etc. You don't have to quiet your mind only... that's simply one technique, or an entry point. Use meditation to wind yourself up if that's what you need.
Do you have any recommended sources for that? The only meditation I know is the one that has the purpose of making you calm and detached from everything. If you ask me, it's quite anti-business since the people who promote that kind of lifestyle are usually 100% okay of not being wealthy. But I can't afford that mindset at this moment in my life lol

PapaGang

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Jul 10, 2019
Milwaukee, WI
When I was young I rolled my eyes and made fun of people doing it. Whatever, hippies.

Then I gave it an honest effort after reading and getting curious about the power of the mind. Now this may sound like hyperbole, but I don't care: I've had life altering experiences after doing it regularly for months.

Meditation is no joke.

phoenix2020

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Oct 1, 2020
India
When I was young I rolled my eyes and made fun of people doing it. Whatever, hippies.

Then I gave it an honest effort after reading and getting curious about the power of the mind. Now this may sound like hyperbole, but I don't care: I've had life altering experiences after doing it regularly for months.

Meditation is no joke.
I have been doing meditation for a long time,it clears your head,you feel numbness sensation on the back of your head if you become relax,and sometimes you feel your body is moving from left to right or right to left,sometimes forth and back.It's seriously no joke,who are we to doubt meditation who don't even know 1% of the stuff of how the world works! right?
You will start getting answers from the Universe,they are light thoughts which u may doubt but don't write it down in a seperate dairy and follow it.
i do it!And i feel positive most of the time.All we need is within us .

Cyberthal

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Apr 14, 2020
Shenzhen

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfLuQ2arP48

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHXsuZgVwtA

I'm not a Stoic, and I don't meditate Tim's way, but it seems a sound place to start for a beginner.

RayAndré

Win From Within
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Oct 7, 2017
Tampa, FL
I gave it an honest effort after reading and getting curious about the power of the mind. Now this may sound like hyperbole, but I don't care: I've had life altering experiences after doing it regularly for months.

Meditation is no joke.

this

MetalGear

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
258%
Jan 24, 2017
Narnia
  • I have stopped meditating consistently and notice a difference in my muscle tension and general irritability
  • Getting back into it, it is a practice for sure

Hadrian

QUEST MASTER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Oct 8, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
Hi Gang... shameless plug here but I would love to get your feedback on my own meditation app. I resisted posting in this public thread for a while but the comments on here are really useful and inspiring. So I hope you won't mind as it's your brains I would very much like to pick!
:bulb:
In short I tried Headspace/Calm/Insight Timer and about 100 other meditation apps etc. and although I appreciated the Scientific approach I found myself looking for a more magical/spiritual/fun element. Neo Travel Your Mind was the best I found but it was limited.
:(
I gained some benefits from the usual apps but they never held my attention for long. I also knew these Zen monks in tibet etc. don't meditate for hours without a genuine purpose. I knew there had to be something more to it.
:palm:
When I couldn't find an app that worked for me I decided to create my own, and part of my strategy was to try to create something that men and teenagers might use as well... as Ireland my country has the 6th highest suicide rate for teenagers in Europe. I wanted to change that!
FYI Calm did a report outlining about 80% of meditation app users are female.
:bicep:
So here it is: "Celtic Whispers", a Fantasy themed Meditation and Mythology app set in the Celtic Spiritual Tradition, and a guide for those looking for a more meaningful way to live in harmony with your community and the environment.

Celtic Whispers Title Screen for lInked In.JPG

It's only in its infancy but you could call it Meditation for the Lord of the Rings demographic!
I found the key for me was using Binaural Beats and I have been able to briefly tap into the bliss state which I can only describe as tapping into the energy frequency of the universe itself... it looks like George Lucas may have been right after all!
:bolt:
I could write so much more as this journey has taken a few long hard years but I have a presentable MVP on iOS right now. I have ten categories with a variety of meditation techniques and the first one in each is free. It also has a Celtic History and Mythology component as well which adds a unique element.
:bullseye:
If anyone wants to try it out and give me feedback I would be most grateful.. and even more grateful for an honest positive review!

Thanks Fastlaners...

Last edited:

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn

BarKogan$

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Sep 29, 2020
For me, it's been 4 months since I started meditating every morning for 10 min (sometimes more during the day)
I feel way happier, Im able to control my emotions way better, and I feel more "present" in my life.

Just one thing to keep in mind:
Meditation is not a sprint run, you'll have to adopt the mindset of a marathon, invest in it even if its hard and you lost in thoughts, understand that the results will come with the time and as you practice more and more.
Good luck! :)

PapaGang

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Jul 10, 2019
Milwaukee, WI
  • I have stopped meditating consistently and notice a difference in my muscle tension and general irritability
  • Getting back into it, it is a practice for sure
Agreed. I'm starting tomorrow. I need to get back to it.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
Yes, of course it doesn't. The first thing everyone should do is get really clear on what their goal is. Meditation, regardless of your spiritual tradition, was not a practice that was developed to attract more wealth.

In Buddhism, where most of the meditation practices popular today come from, meditation was developed with one goal in mind: to develop insight into the true nature of existence, more specifically to realise that all phenomena are empty of self, impermanent, and ultimately unsatisfactory, leading you to become detached from them. That is where meditation is taking you to and that's what it was designed for. So it's not surprising that money isn't falling from the sky, it wasn't meant to!

Now, if that is not in line with your goals or aspirations, then probably it will be a hindrance in your path, and not something that will help you. Do not forget that many people, see Tim Ferris, meditate because it is popular and trendy to do so, not because of any other reason. It is a form of virtue signalling. So do not be tricked by all millionaires claiming to meditate into thinking that this has anything to do with their success. It's just a current fad, that they all join by virtue of being human beings and members of this culture, and wanting to show that their are modern and in-trend with what's going on.

Also, another important point. Meditation is at its heart a spiritual practice, so even if your reasons for practicing are spiritual, you must still make sure that you practice is aligned with your goals. For example, Buddhist meditation is different than Christian contemplative prayer (the equivalent of meditation in Christianity). If your goal is the attainment of "enlightenment" you'll make a different choice than if your goal is knowing & loving God. The practices are but superficially the same, and the difference is coming largely from the intentions and beliefs that the practitioner bears on the practice. For example, if you're searching for the loving presence of God, you'll purposefully cultivate and attract a different experience than if you reject the loving presence as merely another impermanent, not-self, and ultimately unsatisfactory experience that requires detachment. Your beliefs help shape your intention, and your intention is just as important as the sharpness of your attention in your meditative practice.

These distinctions become very important, and most New Age practitioners who create a mish-mash of traditions miss them.

Last edited:

Tom H.

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Dec 13, 2019
Jaco, Costa Rica
Yes, of course it doesn't. The first thing everyone should do is get really clear on what their goal is. Meditation, regardless of your spiritual tradition, was not a practice that was developed to attract more wealth.

In Buddhism, where most of the meditation practices popular today come from, meditation was developed with one goal in mind: to develop insight into the true nature of existence, more specifically to realise that all phenomena are empty of self, impermanent, and ultimately unsatisfactory, leading you to become detached from them. That is where meditation is taking you to and that's what it was designed for. So it's not surprising that money isn't falling from the sky, it wasn't meant to!

Now, if that is not in line with your goals or aspirations, then probably it will be a hindrance in your path, and not something that will help you. Do not forget that many people, see Tim Ferris, meditate because it is popular and trendy to do so, not because of any other reason. It is a form of virtue signalling. So do not be tricked by all millionaires claiming to meditate into thinking that this has anything to do with their success. It's just a current fad, that they all join by virtue of being human beings and members of this culture, and wanting to show that their are modern and in-trend with what's going on.

Also, another important point. Meditation is at its heart a spiritual practice, so even if your reasons for practicing are spiritual, you must still make sure that you practice is aligned with your goals. For example, Buddhist meditation is different than Christian contemplative prayer (the equivalent of meditation in Christianity). If your goal is the attainment of "enlightenment" you'll make a different choice than if your goal is knowing & loving God. The practices are but superficially the same, and the difference is coming largely from the intentions and beliefs that the practitioner bears on the practice. For example, if you're searching for the loving presence of God, you'll purposefully cultivate and attract a different experience than if you reject the loving presence as merely another impermanent, not-self, and ultimately unsatisfactory experience that requires detachment. Your beliefs help shape your intention, and your intention is just as important as the sharpness of your attention in your meditative practice.

These distinctions become very important, and most New Age practitioners who create a mish-mash of traditions miss them.
I haven't posted on any of these meditation threads because they're mostly dumb, like you explained... trendy, virtue signaling, etc. I just want to give you props for bringing up the three characteristics.

Nothing is satisfying, nothing is permanent, and nothing is you.

Edit: I want to add that there's no room for slackers in Buddhism, your either working hard meditating or working hard fulfilling your householder responsibilities. So there's nothing wrong with being rich, one of the big figures in early Buddhism was Anathapindika who was immensely wealthy and also attained stream entry (and maybe further, I don't remember). But meditation won't make you rich, instead you'll realize that insight is way more valuable then any amount of money.

Most people will probably just be wasting their time half-assing meditation the same way they half-a$$ entrepreneurship.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.