The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Your thoughts on a chemistry study web app I made in a week

A topic related to SAAS or APPs

Sterling729

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Oct 28, 2023
Following the CENTS model, I decided it would be best to put my coding skills into making something unique to the market rather than sell junk from aliexpress.

I made this in a little over a week. I remember the only way I got really good marks in organic chemistry in college was when I practiced a dozen exam papers and my prof was kind enough to go over them with me.
Here, I used chatgpt to insert ochem questions, with the molecules (in SMILES format) and then the frontend loads up the molecule based on the code (such as CC=C) so it doesnt take up much space. I was thinking about creating an AI app where the user receives questions based on the answers they keep getting wrong, but I find the prompts have to be super exact (and I still find it gives me the wrong types of questions even on GPT4). So for now, I'm just taking advantage that I can generate question sets super fast.

Now the step is to get some feedback and ask what types of questions or features users (students) would like to see. I'm thinking about putting this on a phone app so students can be productive when commuting to and from college, or waiting around, etc. My plan is if this doesnt garner much interest, I'll come up with another app which I can build super quick with the same tools I did here: html/js, nodejs, sql server, AWS (S3, EC2, RDS).

(note: ensure it is http not https, i'm still working on getting https to work)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Following the CENTS model, I decided it would be best to put my coding skills into making something unique to the market rather than sell junk from aliexpress.

I made this in a little over a week. I remember the only way I got really good marks in organic chemistry in college was when I practiced a dozen exam papers and my prof was kind enough to go over them with me.
Here, I used chatgpt to insert ochem questions, with the molecules (in SMILES format) and then the frontend loads up the molecule based on the code (such as CC=C) so it doesnt take up much space. I was thinking about creating an AI app where the user receives questions based on the answers they keep getting wrong, but I find the prompts have to be super exact (and I still find it gives me the wrong types of questions even on GPT4). So for now, I'm just taking advantage that I can generate question sets super fast.

Now the step is to get some feedback and ask what types of questions or features users (students) would like to see. I'm thinking about putting this on a phone app so students can be productive when commuting to and from college, or waiting around, etc. My plan is if this doesnt garner much interest, I'll come up with another app which I can build super quick with the same tools I did here: html/js, nodejs, sql server, AWS (S3, EC2, RDS).

I changed your thread title to ask for feedback. I think @Spenny sells some Chemistry related product. @ZCP is an engineer and likes helping students.

How will you get students to try it out?

Spenny

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
I'm an undergrad 3rd year chemist & this is good - although I hope my IP hasn't been stolen from an insecure SSL.

I like the idea, but how will you make yourself different?

My friend, who is looking to become a chemistry lecturer, is in love with Anki, alongside many medical students.

I know there's also Khan Academy and many OChem tutorials on YouTube. I use these religiously.

Perhaps something is missing from these sources that you capitalise on? I'll ask my whizzy friend if he has any annoyances.

After thought edit:
What I'm trying to ask is, how will you be different & be better? Because there are a lot of resources out there, there are a lot of tutors & there are a lot of SAAS sort of models, too. This is not to discourage, but must be considered, because you may be speaking into the void & getting no signal back.

Last edited:

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I'm an undergrad 3rd year chemist & this is good - although I hope my IP hasn't been stolen from an insecure SSL.

My friend, who is looking to become a chemistry lecturer, is in love with Anki, alongside many medical students.

I know there's also Khan Academy and many OChem tutorials on YouTube. I use these religiously.

Perhaps something is missing from these sources that you capitalise on? I'll ask my whizzy friend if he has any annoyances.

After thought edit:
What I'm trying to ask is, how will you be different & be better? Because there are a lot of resources out there, there are a lot of tutors & there are a lot of SAAS sort of models, too. This is not to discourage, but must be considered, because you may be speaking into the void & getting no signal back.
Just a thought... it doesn't have to be different or better. It sometimes just has to be known.

Spenny

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
Just a thought... it doesn't have to be different or better. It sometimes just has to be known.
That's true. I've seen a load of deep fake politicians teaching differentiation (Trump, Obama, Biden), and that is a fantastic way to get people engaged because it's silly yet educating. Although it's not strictly revising, it's still a form of value. I can imagine a social media page like that promoting some sort of study tool/guide alongside it's content.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
That's true. I've seen a load of deep fake politicians teaching differentiation (Trump, Obama, Biden), and that is a fantastic way to get people engaged because it's silly yet educating. Although it's not strictly revising, it's still a form of value. I can imagine a social media page like that promoting some sort of study tool/guide alongside it's content.
You've just reminded me that I've seen quizzes on YouTube where they ask a question, have a countdown, give the answer, repeat 10 times. A simple way to educate and build an audience.

Sterling729

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Oct 28, 2023
I changed your thread title to ask for feedback. I think @Spenny sells some Chemistry related product. @ZCP is an engineer and likes helping students.

How will you get students to try it out?
For now, I'll try to find reddit and discord groups. Might go to the Universities in my area and post flyers if I need more users. I can also try ads potentially.

Sterling729

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Oct 28, 2023

After thought edit:
Thanks for the insights. I'll have to look into Anki and see what feature this and other similar resources have.

From my experience, particularly in a course like OChem, was that getting a good mark largely came down to how well you were good at doing the exam questions. You could understand the concepts in theory, but when it came down to putting the knowledge in more practical questions (ie. how would you make this compound with these chemicals) you needed to practice those types of questions.
Maybe there are resources which have a similar ochem exam practice method. The other feature I've been thinking about is to give the user questions based on the questions and concepts they've got wrong. They could also give feedback on the types of questions they like (the ones they're most likely to see on their college's exam papers), and use ChatGPT API to provide those questions. But I'd have to make sure I can get a good formula for creating the prompts.

Oh yeah, thanks for reminding me about the SSL lol.

Last edited:

Sterling729

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Oct 28, 2023
Got Https to work. Posted on reddit and a discord server. Got some feedback saying it was "good" on discord, but I guess really need people to vote with their dollars to see if it's a good market need. Wondering what I can do to test if the need is there, maybe a presale or something, or a gofund me for $100.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.