The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

You know you know landing pages when....

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
nobounce.jpg

Your bounce rate is non exsistant. for the month its like 1-2%... pretty good though. This is just for yesterday/today so far. Not much traffic yet but rising quickly.

EDIT this is not the site in my signature, this is a new site i just put up not too long ago.

Ok, so lets get to the heart of this. Can you toss some crumbs down to us 50-60% bottom feeders on how to achieve this, or get closer to achieving it?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
475%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I didn't know what post up in 30 meant either. LOL

Just did a quick check on my 15+ sites, bounce rates are about 50-60 in most. 70% on a couple 1 page crap sites.

The number I look at with bounce rate is CPC bounce rate because that means I paid some money for a 1-second click.

Half to 1/3 of my ebiz traffic is to my ebiz blogs so I'll try to break out the bounce rate for the actual store pages and organic searches later tonight.

rxcknrxll

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
May 16, 2008
Space
dont think there is a place like that because it would be impossible without installing something on the site owners end. Not to mention comparing bounce rate would be completly useless unless you are comparing a mirror site layout wiht different content. to which that is what googles website optimizer is for. There would be no purpose to see someones bounce rate next to yours with a completly different site.

Now comparing bounce rate on a stock template with different content or offers would be interesting, but who would use a stock template! haha

right on. i think it would be cool to be able to compare stats with other webmasters in my same niche. of course, the designs are different and such, but if the people in the same space are rockin a bounce rate half of what mine is, it would be cool to know and be able to hypothesis why. of course it would have to be voluntary and wouldn't be comprehensive.

rxcknrxll

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
May 16, 2008
Space
Ok, so lets get to the heart of this. Can you toss some crumbs down to us 50-60% bottom feeders on how to achieve this, or get closer to achieving it?

quality content, man!

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA

give your users exactly what they are looking for. i saw a pattern of searches on my site for something specific that i didn't even have. Quickly added it, earlier today in fact i saw a further set of 16 different searches for a 2 part keyword of the 1 i added, so i went ahead and added content for that as well. Alot of it has to do with the site lay out. but giving users exactley what they are looking for is key

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
give your users exactly what they are looking for. i saw a pattern of searches on my site for something specific that i didn't even have. Quickly added it, earlier today in fact i saw a further set of 16 different searches for a 2 part keyword of the 1 i added, so i went ahead and added content for that as well. Alot of it has to do with the site lay out. but giving users exactley what they are looking for is key

so you are saying, you watch what keywords are coming to you and if you are not meeting that need on your site, you create something to meet that need?

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
so you are saying, you watch what keywords are coming to you and if you are not meeting that need on your site, you create something to meet that need?

for internal site search, not SERP keywords. as far as keeping them on page from the serps, site layout and usability, combined with good on page seo so you get indexed for relevant terms helps the over all user experience.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
OK, dumb question from Russ:

For the internal site search, you use:__________ ?

And you track it with __________ ?

(and if you say google's search thingie, tell me how I can use it without it sending people off my site-- or why this is not important!)

Thanks from an impressed (and flummoxed) newbie (scratches head). :)

-Russ

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
OK, dumb question from Russ:

For the internal site search, you use:__________ ?

And you track it with __________ ?

(and if you say google's search thingie, tell me how I can use it without it sending people off my site-- or why this is not important!)

Thanks from an impressed (and flummoxed) newbie (scratches head). :)

-Russ

not sure what googles search thingie is but its just a built in site search, and since i have search engine friendly URL's i can see the search queries in my analytics and also my back end shows what was being searched for. i see a highly common trend, and add it!

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
When we did our site redesign, the web designer asked if we wanted to have a google search window built into our pages. I said no.

But I said so out of ignorance-- it may give good analytics for what people search for when they're on your site-- and it also might index things on your pages and make them searchable-- I truly don't know-- and out of ignorance-- I said "leave it out".

Those more in the know are welcome (and encouraged) to un-ignorate me. ;)

-Russ H.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
When we did our site redesign, the web designer asked if we wanted to have a google search window built into our pages. I said no.

But I said so out of ignorance-- it may give good analytics for what people search for when they're on your site-- and it also might index things on your pages and make them searchable-- I truly don't know-- and out of ignorance-- I said "leave it out".

Those more in the know are welcome (and encouraged) to un-ignorate me. ;)

-Russ H.

ahh its called a google custom search and i never use them on my site. better to use something that looks better for the internal SERPS. I hate the results and how they display in google custom search.

this is an advantage with using a CMS as a platfor though, most of the have internal search features!

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
475%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Just some more data on my bounce rate:

When traffic came from XXX the bounce rate was XXX:
Google CPC - 35%
Yahoo Organic - 50%
Google Organic - 50%

Bounce Rate based on content pages:
Homepage - 35%
Everything else - 52%+

Bounce rate between CPC and organic for the homepage is under 1.5% based on over 150,000 visits.

Just posting the results for now. I'm going to think about ways to improve this next week.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
475%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Just made a quick change to my CPC landing page to see if bounce rates will go down. Thanks for starting this thread!!

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Sorry to sound like a dodo . . .

Is CPC the same as PPC?

(PPC = Pay Per Click)

-Russ H.

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
Feel compelled to mention here (not trying to minimize your accomplishment Lighthouse as that really is an uber low bounce rate) but bounce rate is a bit of red herring as far as website goals go.

It is much better to work on conversion rate & visitor value as they have a direct impact on the bottom line of your business.

I'll take a bounce rate of 60% and a visitor value of $5/unique visitor over a %20 bounce rate and a visitor value of $2/visitor.

Of course there is relationship between bounce and conversion rate, but in my experience, it is better to optimize for conversions and not focus much energy on bounce.

humphrey

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Aug 15, 2009
Canada
Your bounce rate is non exsistant. for the month its like 1-2%... pretty good though. This is just for yesterday/today so far. Not much traffic yet but rising quickly.

Very impressive bounce rate. I don't want to be rude but do you mind sharing the url? I would love to see your site.

BTW you have a great niche with the site listed in your signature. Love the tail light tint!:eusa_clap:

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Just some more data on my bounce rate:

When traffic came from XXX the bounce rate was XXX:
Google CPC - 35%
Yahoo Organic - 50%
Google Organic - 50%

Bounce Rate based on content pages:
Homepage - 35%
Everything else - 52%+

Bounce rate between CPC and organic for the homepage is under 1.5% based on over 150,000 visits.

Just posting the results for now. I'm going to think about ways to improve this next week.

CPC should be almost non existent since you can tailor each page. How is the conversion rate?

EDIT; i take that back, it should be fairly low. you cant control visitors really but def under 30%

Sorry to sound like a dodo . . .

Is CPC the same as PPC?

(PPC = Pay Per Click)

-Russ H.

yes, some mention cpc (cost per click) which is that actual monetary value of each. BUt it is the same thing. Don't worry about sounding like a dodo, how else would you learn!

Feel compelled to mention here (not trying to minimize your accomplishment Lighthouse as that really is an uber low bounce rate) but bounce rate is a bit of red herring as far as website goals go.

It is much better to work on conversion rate & visitor value as they have a direct impact on the bottom line of your business.

I'll take a bounce rate of 60% and a visitor value of $5/unique visitor over a %20 bounce rate and a visitor value of $2/visitor.

Of course there is relationship between bounce and conversion rate, but in my experience, it is better to optimize for conversions and not focus much energy on bounce.

Oh it is absolutely more important, this site has a good conversion rate. i usually never focus on bounce rate, its a product of me optimizing for conversions and user experience. But when you pull open analytics and see something that low... you just kinda go "DANG!"

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Very impressive bounce rate. I don't want to be rude but do you mind sharing the url? I would love to see your site.

BTW you have a great niche with the site listed in your signature. Love the tail light tint!:eusa_clap:

I am not going to share the URL for the stats above, sorry.

Thank you for the compliment, that site is part of my B&M business. The two landing pages there have a great conversion and under 20% BR, however i expect both of those numbers to improve with the new site design going on there.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
475%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

I never really followed or even looked at it until this thread. But since it's brought to light, no reason you can't tweak it and see if it helps.

rxcknrxll

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
May 16, 2008
Space

I have to agreed. This is smart...I admit that one of my most profitable (per visitor) sites has a 40%+ bounce. Always has had. I still focus on how to bring that number down, but maybe it's not as important. I always focus on quality over quantity...so I'd rather have 5k visitors at 0% bounce rate than 10k visitors with a 50% bounce rate, hypothetically of course. Even though it's the same traffic, it means i'm doing a better job at bringing in targeted traffic. Plus, not all niches are high traffic niches, so high efficiency is important. Hmm. I think i'm seeing it both ways now. I think bounce is probably important for some niches, not so much for others?

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
I have to agreed. This is smart...I admit that one of my most profitable (per visitor) sites has a 40%+ bounce. Always has had. I still focus on how to bring that number down, but maybe it's not as important. I always focus on quality over quantity...so I'd rather have 5k visitors at 0% bounce rate than 10k visitors with a 50% bounce rate, hypothetically of course. Even though it's the same traffic, it means i'm doing a better job at bringing in targeted traffic. Plus, not all niches are high traffic niches, so high efficiency is important. Hmm. I think i'm seeing it both ways now. I think bounce is probably important for some niches, not so much for others?

its really not to important at all. in most aspects something you really cant control either. The most important number on your site is the conversion rate, i would take the 10k visitors to the 5, because later down the road you may be able to serve that traffic as well. drive visitors, convert them! This thread was more of a novelty rather then a plight to have everyone thinking something is wrong with their site. my e-com sites have 30-50 some BR's and they bring in money.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Just made a quick change to my CPC landing page to see if bounce rates will go down. Thanks for starting this thread!!

any updates?

and matt here it is Aug 1-31st

siteaugust.jpg

this is for the home page

rxcknrxll

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
May 16, 2008
Space
its really not to important at all. in most aspects something you really cant control either. The most important number on your site is the conversion rate, i would take the 10k visitors to the 5, because later down the road you may be able to serve that traffic as well. drive visitors, convert them! This thread was more of a novelty rather then a plight to have everyone thinking something is wrong with their site. my e-com sites have 30-50 some BR's and they bring in money.

Hey sorry I missed your response. I just revisited this thread and saw it just now :) I appreciate your input. It's funny timing, because I recently changed a bit on my blog and two things happened:

1. Bounce rate has gone from single digits to about 50%.
2. Subscriptions are up. I'm getting more email subscriptions than ever.

I would not have thought the two would coincide to be honest!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.