The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

WINTER IS COMING: European Winter of '22

msufan

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Mar 13, 2013
Thank you for the fact check. People like the dramatic headlines, unfortunately, and the site linked above knows that and benefits from the clicks their clickbaity title brings.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ValueSystems

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Apr 12, 2021
Switzerland
Maybe we need this as a society to see how comfortable we were and how we were taking it all for granted.

... "Hard times create strong men" and all that.

ygtrhos

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Dec 27, 2016
I believe that the solution to all this energy / global warming stuff will be a combination of:

- cold fusion (until then utilization of 4th/5th gen nuclear fission reactors)
- carbon capture (because you cannot eliminate concrete production, plastic as packaging or kerosene as jet fuel in short term)
- electrification of everything possible (like steel production, diesel trains & cargo trucks etc.)

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
I believe that the solution to all this energy / global warming stuff will be a combination of:

- carbon capture (because you cannot eliminate concrete production, plastic as packaging or kerosene as jet fuel in short term)
- electrification of everything possible (like steel production, diesel trains & cargo trucks etc.)
I just can't get my head around carbon capture. Seems like a bad idea to me. That's assuming they can even get it to work properly lol.

I used to work on this Chevron project off the coast of Australia. They don't give a F*ck!

Time’s up on Gorgon’s 5 years of carbon storage failure

G

Guest-5ty5s4

I just can't get my head around carbon capture. Seems like a bad idea to me. That's assuming they can even get it to work properly lol.

I used to work on this Chevron project off the coast of Australia. They don't give a F*ck!

We've built some vessels for carbon capture projects... Very high dollar. Made lots of money on the manufacturing. The end users (process) ultimately failed and the plant shut down, but our products were fantastic (we only build great products). The plants are all fueled by government money... That's what's driving this whole thing... The process doesn't even have to work.

We don't design the process. We just build the structures that the end user tells us to. The process itself (capturing carbon) is actually not the miracle that they claim it is... They're putting the cause of being green above the need for actually getting more out of it than what you spend.

The thing is that it's not just about money. It's waste. It's literally am I putting man hours, materials, economic resources into something and getting more energy (electricity, etc) out of it as a result? If not, it makes no sense. It will fail.

It's economic fallacy on full display

Last edited by a moderator:

mr4ffe

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Nov 3, 2018
Stockholm, Sweden
Maybe we need this as a society to see how comfortable we were and how we were taking it all for granted.

... "Hard times create strong men" and all that.
I was born in 2001. My generation has experienced three economic disasters (the dot com crash, the real estate crash, and the C0VlD-19/Russia-Ukraine recession). We've also experienced a number of pandemics (e.g. bird flu, swine flu, Zika, and C0VlD-19, though only one changed our lives permanently). Growing up in a post-9/11 world, my generation should be full of strong men.

That's not what I'm seeing, though. Yes, there's the manosphere niche on the Internet focused on lifting, martial arts, prepping, and uhh hating women, but that's very uncommon in real life. People are killing themselves at increasing rates. I unfortunately think it'll take more than the aforementioned to create actual strong men.

Vinz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Jun 12, 2021
I was born in 2001. My generation has experienced three economic disasters (the dot com crash, the real estate crash, and the C0VlD-19/Russia-Ukraine recession). We've also experienced a number of pandemics (e.g. bird flu, swine flu, Zika, and C0VlD-19, though only one changed our lives permanently). Growing up in a post-9/11 world, my generation should be full of strong men.

That's not what I'm seeing, though. Yes, there's the manosphere niche on the Internet focused on lifting, martial arts, prepping, and uhh hating women, but that's very uncommon in real life. People are killing themselves at increasing rates. I unfortunately think it'll take more than the aforementioned to create actual strong men.
We didn't "experience" three economic disasters. You wasn't even born when the dot com crash hit. I was 1 years old (I was born in 1999, that why I said "we"
And we were just kids with the real estate crash.
The only thing really impacting us are covid and the current situation.
Self improvement is getting slowly more popular, and that's probably a first hint of "hard times create strong men" but life was pretty comfortable overall until maybe now.
We can't compare it to WWI, WWII or Vietnam. Etc

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
541%
Apr 17, 2022
I was born in 2001. My generation has experienced three economic disasters (the dot com crash, the real estate crash, and the C0VlD-19/Russia-Ukraine recession).
An economic disaster is when there is no more food and people begin to starve.

The dot com bubble was not an economic disaster, it was just a market hype created by idiots that started throwing money at internet startups hoping to get rich quick.

But how exactly did this affect you? The bubble burst in the year 2000, which means that you were -1 years old at the time. Have you lost your job? Did you have to work extra hours to be able to provide for your family?

Vinz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Jun 12, 2021
An economic disaster is when there is no more food and people begin to starve.

The dot com bubble was not an economic disaster, it was just a market hype created by idiots that started throwing money at internet startups hoping to get rich quick.

But how exactly did this affect you? The bubble burst in the year 2000, which means that you were -1 years old at the time. Have you lost your job? Did you have to work extra hours to be able to provide for your family?
Yes. I really remember the times of being 1 years old and having three jobs to provide for my family !!!

mr4ffe

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Nov 3, 2018
Stockholm, Sweden
Obviously not, but economic instability directly led to stressed out parents fighting over finances and often divorcing. I think more than half my friends have divorced parents. My parents divorced when I was like six months old (one month after 9/11). My father got full custody, and around '09, he divorced my step-mom (after having loud daily arguments for a year).

This taught me two things:
1. Relationships are tough to navigate. To cope, I isolated myself and became depressed. It's better now, though.
2. I must "make it" to not end up broke, divorced, and stressed like my parents.

In retrospect, I actually think the struggle did do something for me. It instilled the idea in me that money is important, and as soon as your wealth starts to suffer, everything else quickly follows.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
541%
Apr 17, 2022
Obviously not, but economic instability directly led to stressed out parents fighting over finances and often divorcing. I think more than half my friends have divorced parents. My parents divorced when I was like six months old (one month after 9/11). My father got full custody, and around '09, he divorced my step-mom (after having loud daily arguments for a year).

This taught me two things:
1. Relationships are tough to navigate. To cope, I isolated myself and became depressed. It's better now, though.
2. I must "make it" to not end up broke, divorced, and stressed like my parents.

In retrospect, I actually think the struggle did do something for me. It instilled the idea in me that money is important, and as soon as your wealth starts to suffer, everything else quickly follows.
I'm sorry that you had to go through this experience.

Sadly I don't think that the high divorce rate is caused by the lack of money or modern life stress. We are the richest people in the history of mankind, yet we are increasingly isolated and the divorce rate is astonishingly high. Going through a breakup is a deeply traumatic event for everyone involved.

There has to be something else that we as a society are doing horribly wrong, and it's not just the money.

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
The Covid desaster was a Desaster for young people.
I did very much with my now 22 year son. Cycling, climbing and so on.
This year he told me, how thankful he is , that I did so much with him, as he would have sit in the room alone all the time.
Yes, for th young people The lockdown was a desaster. I believe more, than if there hadn’t been lockdown.

Last edited:

Happyheart

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Dec 11, 2020

Governments are not even able to plan for the next few years or to retreat from Afghanistan in an orderly manner. Around the world governments have not been able to sort their problems without war. I find it interesting that there are people who genuinely believe that the world governments will be working together to lower world temperatures with 2 Regress. And without proof of concept at that.

The solution for any climate changes in the forseeable future may rather be to build more airconditioning, more dykes and water engineering and more nuclear energy. Doing what works rather than speculating on solitions that are fashionable, but not viable and reverting to medieval Lifestyle in the hopes of it working.

ValueSystems

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Apr 12, 2021
Switzerland

I get what you're saying but that's not the "tough times" I'm talking about. You're from Sweden, I'm from Switzerland... Probably 2 of the 5 richest countries in the world...

Yes there are mental struggles and tough mental situation to navigate for us (and I agreed, probably we have it worst than other generations with the pandemic, isolation, tiktok and other things - killing us through mental health issues)

But that's mental warfare that makes us super weak. (We're losing this one)

I was talking about physical difficult times. Nobody around me has had Zika, been stabbed, I haven't even had to throw more than one punch in my life.

The physical, actual though life, makes you strong to survive. Most of us never need it

As others pointed out we've never been so rich, and yet... We get addicted to p0rn, tiktok and the rest. We're weak.

If we have to wake up to a gaz shortage, limited food supply etc. We'll have to get strong by necessity.

I'm not saying I hope this for us, but if it comes, at least there's this positive byproduct.

Strength can only come from adversity.

Cheers!

ygtrhos

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Dec 27, 2016
Governments are not even able to plan for the next few years or to retreat from Afghanistan in an orderly manner. Around the world governments have not been able to sort their problems without war. I find it interesting that there are people who genuinely believe that the world governments will be working together to lower world temperatures with 2 Regress. And without proof of concept at that.

The solution for any climate changes in the forseeable future may rather be to build more airconditioning, more dykes and water engineering and more nuclear energy. Doing what works rather than speculating on solitions that are fashionable, but not viable and reverting to medieval Lifestyle in the hopes of it working.

I have no idea where you connect governments' initiative to my post. I quote my post again.

I did not write these things for a short term solution. I do not think I will see these things implemented in my own lifetime (by whomever). I am talking about my expectation for 2100. (probably highly inaccurate)

ygtrhos

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Dec 27, 2016

I am not an expert on carbon capture. But if even Chevron cannot make something like this operable, we are probably doomed.

Andreas Thiel

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Aug 27, 2018
Karlsruhe, Germany
Been reading a lot of articles about what Central Banks are doing and feel so retarded trying to wrap my head around all of it.

Can anybody help? I read one thing that sounded like a really huge deal, but only one out of a gazillion articles mentioned that aspect.

The Reserve Bank of Australia realized enough losses that their equity capital has been wiped out. Some articles mentioned that other companies would be insolvent but a Reserve Bank can recapitalize and continue operating - so not a big deal, right!?

One article said that in this situation, the Reserve Bank is no longer able / allowed to pay dividends (I think this just applies to governments - for some reason - not all bond holders), which seems to be what the payments are considered to be. How does the whole thing work and why is that not something that needs to be on our radars? Or did everybody else know this already?
  1. Are all the Central Bank balance sheets just so much healthier than than of the RBA?
  2. Will it take forever until book losses become realized losses?
  3. Are there too few governments that depend on the money from the bond buying programs of Central Banks?
  4. Isn't that something that should have been mentioned in all articles about New Monetary Policy?
I think I read that some governments will go from getting money from the Central Bank to having to pay money. Is that because they can be on the hook for payments to other bond holders? That might be an even bigger deal, then and all experts already knew that payments to governments will stop at some point in a New Monetary Policy world?

Posted in this thread, because this seems very relevant for the financing of transition plans in Europe.

JordanK

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Feb 17, 2014
Ireland
Seems like Europe has got through the worst of it. Fuel prices falling, unseasonably warm weather. The big thing to watch is the impact of rate hikes. Another 0.5% yesterday and more signaled to come.

adnanazmi

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 22, 2023
Colombo, Sri Lana
Didn't the World economic forum push this same ESG bs in sri lanka back in the 10s and now for the past year sri lanka has been starving and without fuel and in constant political turmoil and unrest?
The dutch government signed onto some similar guidelines, arbitrarily decided to reduce nitrogen by shutting down farms which ended up in those dutch farmer riots.

Crazy how a few lobbyists trying to make some extra $$$ can cause so much damage.
It's true. I live in SL.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
541%
Apr 17, 2022
Let's work hard now during the summer, because the winter of F*cking 2023 is coming in less than 6 months.

We won't be able to control the world economy, but we can control ourselves.

What we choose to do now will determine the future.

Iso

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Aug 1, 2021

I watched a video recently about Nikola Tesla he had the vision to create free unlimted clean energy for everyone. That ended up in him being broke and in debt to JP Morgan, Vanderbilt's and the Rockefeller's and other families that owned all the energy production and distribution in the United States. If The Wardenclyffe Tower was allowed to be built and actual works it would be crazy the political strife, economic instability and the endless wars that could be avoided, while at the same time though we would be destroying the wealth of these families.

ygtrhos

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Dec 27, 2016
I watched a video recently about Nikola Tesla he had the vision to create free unlimted clean energy for everyone. That ended up in him being broke and in debt to JP Morgan, Vanderbilt's and the Rockefeller's and other families that owned all the energy production and distribution in the United States. If The Wardenclyffe Tower was allowed to be built and actual works it would be crazy the political strife, economic instability and the endless wars that could be avoided, while at the same time though we would be destroying the wealth of these families.
Dont believe so much in conspiracies.

If something is of 10x utility, nobody can stop it.

Edison could not stop alternative current.

Steam power conglomerates could nto stop the rise of oil.

Coal giants could not stop the rise of natural gas.

German or Japanese car companies could not stop rise of Tesla.

They are probably doing something against the rise of new stuff, but no family or entity can really stop the utilization of a brilliant idea.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.