The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Window Washing | Progress Thread

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

constant

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Nov 8, 2022
But did you learn the lesson of buying a window cleaning robot?

Everybody's looking for employees. You could be value skew your company to "The window cleaning of the future is here today". Imagine saying that when you answer the phone. Or walk door to door.

I'm not saying it's a good idea. Just some food for thought.
That's some great entrepreneurial thinking. Buying a robot has alot of advantages. People trust machines more easily. My grandma has a window cleaning robot, I think I can borrow it for free.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

piano

Trying to find the right notes
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany
Btw if you don't mind, do you have any tips for selling/pitching door-to-door?
Alright, here goes what I've learned so far (I assume you mean residential specifcally):

-Be confident
-Always try to find a convo opener, for example "Hey, nice garden, do you do it yourself?". And if there is no obvious/convenient one, try to find one, for example "Heya, no worries! I'm not from one of those scammy companies!"
-Be funny ^, just be goofy and lighthearted, I think that's how you form great humour over time.
-Be wary of their body language and your own. For example, you don't want to stand "face-to-face" with your body, so to speak. Try to have your feet angled somewhere else so that there is no tension between you guys. Although try both out.
-Adapt to the person: Old granny, speak slow, big dude, speak confidently and to the point, etc.
-Tell them you're known or act as if you should be "Heya, have you seen a great guy in a red shirt walking around here? He's doing awesome deals! Oh wait, that's me!" or "Yeah, so I just did Barbara down the street earlier"
-Show, not tell. Point at dirty spots at windows if there, show your equip perhaps, etc.
-ENGAGE with them! "Heya, just take a quick step outside" or ask them a question. It's best when you get a yes-ish answer: "Heya, which side is the gate on?" "The left (yes-ish)"
-Try to reflect and adapt at where they basically turn off with your pitch and improve on that.
-Once heard "You knock on random peoples' doors and try to sell them your stuff. That's kinda a$$, so why don't you try to make it as pleasant as possible?". Aka, be funny, have a convo, be fun.
That's also basically what @Johnny boy said in one of the top posts of my window cleaning thread "Be an entertainer".
-There is a youtube series by Josh Lester. Awesome videos, go binge them when you have time.
Basically, try to imitate what he's doing and see if it works. He's helped me out so much with these videos! I'm honestly pretty surprised at how similar I sound to him sometimes.
-Looping, there's a video by Josh Lester about it as well.
-Adding value (aka looping kinda), add dust-removal, etc.
-If it's about the price and not value, never go down without a reason. "Sir, I'm really empathetic with your situation, so why don't we call it 149€? (with reason)". Because if you do without it, your service basically just becomes kinda worthless. You could go down to 5 bucks and you'd look like an idiot.
-"Oh, what if they refuse me because of my humour or jokes?"
I've heard by Jeffrey Gitomer once that you only scare away 1 in 10 people with that, or something similar to that. You also have to ask yourself if you want your fun customer or grumpy customer.

And uh, yeah. Just go have fun!
(Also keep in mind that what I wrote here is not to be taken 100%, try it out and figure it out yourself)

EDIT:
-Go read Dale Carnegies How to make friends and influence others. Quite a few unintentional sales techniques in there as well.
-SMILE:), however, once again, experiment with the intensity, etc. I've kinda toned it down recently and feel like it's been doing me better. Experiment!

Last edited:

constant

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Nov 8, 2022
Alright, here goes what I've learned so far (I assume you mean residential specifcally):

-Be confident
-Always try to find a convo opener, for example "Hey, nice garden, do you do it yourself?". And if there is no obvious/convenient one, try to find one, for example "Heya, no worries! I'm not from one of those scammy companies!"
-Be funny ^, just be goofy and lighthearted, I think that's how you form great humour over time.
-Be wary of their body language and your own. For example, you don't want to stand "face-to-face" with your body, so to speak. Try to have your feet angled somewhere else so that there is no tension between you guys. Although try both out.
-Adapt to the person: Old granny, speak slow, big dude, speak confidently and to the point, etc.
-Tell them you're known or act as if you should be "Heya, have you seen a great guy in a red shirt walking around here? He's doing awesome deals! Oh wait, that's me!" or "Yeah, so I just did Barbara down the street earlier"
-Show, not tell. Point at dirty spots at windows if there, show your equip perhaps, etc.
-ENGAGE with them! "Heya, just take a quick step outside" or ask them a question. It's best when you get a yes-ish answer: "Heya, which side is the gate on?" "The left (yes-ish)"
-Try to reflect and adapt at where they basically turn off with your pitch and improve on that.
-Once heard "You knock on random peoples' doors and try to sell them your stuff. That's kinda a$$, so why don't you try to make it as pleasant as possible?". Aka, be funny, have a convo, be fun.
That's also basically what @Johnny boy said in one of the top posts of my window cleaning thread "Be an entertainer".
-There is a youtube series by Josh Lester. Awesome videos, go binge them when you have time.
Basically, try to imitate what he's doing and see if it works. He's helped me out so much with these videos! I'm honestly pretty surprised at how similar I sound to him sometimes.
-If it's about the price and not value, never go down without a reason. "Sir, I'm really empathetic with your situation, so why don't we call it 149€? (with reason)". Because if you do without it, your service basically just becomes kinda worthless. You could go down to 5 bucks and you'd look like an idiot.
I've heard by Jeffrey Gitomer once that you only scare away 1 in 10 people with that, or something similar to that. You also have to ask yourself if you want your fun customer or grumpy customer.

(Also keep in mind that what I wrote here is not to be taken 100%, try it out and figure it out yourself)
Wow, thanks a lot man for such a long reply. I'll be sure to integrate what you've learned so far into my own selling.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
632%
May 9, 2017
Washington State

-Be confident

EDIT:
-Go read Dale Carnegies How to make friends and influence others. Quite a few unintentional sales techniques in there as well.
-SMILE:), however, once again, experiment with the intensity, etc. I've kinda toned it down recently and feel like it's been doing me better. Experiment!
Good opener is to say “hey we are offering (service) and giving massive discounts only to people with (insert something unique about the customer. “Red hats”, “cute dogs”, “people that drive ford explorers”, etc)

Self amusement is the key. Even if the person is a jerk, in a way make it funny to you. Say things that YOU think are funny and not trying to prove yourself 24-7

BizBrain

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Apr 1, 2023
Self amusement is the key. Even if the person is a jerk, in a way make it funny to you. Say things that YOU think are funny and not trying to prove yourself 24-7
This is a funny, self taught technique I learned years ago.

I used to have crippling social anxiety ( I was very introverted as a kid), and combined with RSD (Rejection Sensitivity Dysphoria- A side effect of ADHD where you are VERY sensitive to rejection or the perception of others possible rejection) it made it damn near impossible to be confident in any approach.

I went through a weird phase where I started really becoming hard on myself and basically fell into what felt like a small psychosis where I cracked and basically had my "F**k This Event", but with everything.

I started treating situations that intimidated me with humor. I no longer card what others would say to me. I only cared about MY actions. The outcomes were out of my control. And hey, if someone wanted to be a complete arsehole to me, then the joke was on them (quite literally) because I took the entire situation very lightly.

This isn't saying you should treat people poorly. You should value potential clients and all people. However, just detach yourself from them and the outcomes since its all out of your control anyways. Be confident. Have some fun.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

constant

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Nov 8, 2022
Today I visited my mother's friend who is an owner of a cleaning business. It went very well. I learnt a really fast and efficient procedure for washing windows, and I got to borrow Unger gear for free. I'm a lot faster now.

piano

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany
Today I visited my mother's friend who is an owner of a cleaning business. It went very well. I learnt a really fast and efficient procedure for washing windows, and I got to borrow Unger gear for free. I'm a lot faster now.
Are you talking about fanning? Also, nice you got some Unger gear now!

constant

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Nov 8, 2022
Are you talking about fanning? Also, nice you got some Unger gear now!
Yes, fanning. Too bad I can't use it tomorrow since almost all of the windows are too high for it.
But damn Unger is so good, the squeegee is so smooth.

constant

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Nov 8, 2022
Since I have school holidays, I'm going to dedicate the entire following week to making as much money from window cleaning as possible.

Goal: make 1000eur
Currently I have made 140eur.

While I was doing the last gig, I talked to a local building owner who said that someone ~10 years ago did exactly the same thing as I'm doing right now. He went d2d all over the city and washed windows. The building owner said that I'm on the right track and he recommended me to register as a sole proprietor since some businesses might decline my offering if they can't pay taxes on it correctly (@piano, has anyone ever rejected you over this?). We also exchanged numbers so maybe I can get some leads from that.

Also funny story, while I was cleaning the windows some drunkard asked me in gibberish "Is the drug you're doing so good?". He thought I was washing windows for drugs :rofl:.

piano

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany
Since I have school holidays, I'm going to dedicate the entire following week to making as much money from window cleaning as possible.

Goal: make 1000eur
Currently I have made 140eur.

While I was doing the last gig, I talked to a local building owner who said that someone ~10 years ago did exactly the same thing as I'm doing right now. He went d2d all over the city and washed windows. The building owner said that I'm on the right track and he recommended me to register as a sole proprietor since some businesses might decline my offering if they can't pay taxes on it correctly (@piano, has anyone ever rejected you over this?). We also exchanged numbers so maybe I can get some leads from that.

Also funny story, while I was cleaning the windows some drunkard asked me in gibberish "Is the drug you're doing so good?". He thought I was washing windows for drugs :rofl:.
Your holidays just started? Mine end tomorrow lololol.
Has anybody rejected me? Yes , many people had rejected me because I didn't have a company, although I'm not sure if that's the same as you asked.

constant

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Nov 8, 2022
Your holidays just started? Mine end tomorrow lololol.
Has anybody rejected me? Yes , many people had rejected me because I didn't have a company, although I'm not sure if that's the same as you asked.
I see, so registering might be a good idea. Thanks for the answer.

Also maybe look into registering as a sole proprietor. Here, even 15 year olds can do it.

constant

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Nov 8, 2022
This week I didn't earn any money, although I went out and walked a lot. I went to business streets and offered my services to every business on the first floor that had even slightly dirty windows. However, almost all of the stores had perfectly clean windows, and the ones that didn't said that their property manager would take care of it.
I'm beginning to think that the 'season' of window cleaning is over, since most places only do it during spring.
I also applied for 12 gigs, but all got rejected.

Entrepreneurship has become my only interest now. Everything else, even my hobbies, have become a chore. All I want to do is work on my business. It's just so fulfilling.

I'm currently working on starting a CENTS business (I'm still in the idea phase). The biggest bottleneck is funding.

constant

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Nov 8, 2022
I got an offer to do 38 windows for 50 eur. I declined.

DCG

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Nov 15, 2022
That's some great entrepreneurial thinking. Buying a robot has alot of advantages. People trust machines more easily. My grandma has a window cleaning robot, I think I can borrow it for free.
What if you made your own window cleaning robot and sold it to people who are doing window cleaning as a side hustle

constant

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Nov 8, 2022
What if you made your own window cleaning robot and sold it to people who are doing window cleaning as a side hustle
I don't have the required capital for that.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.