The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Why You Shouldn't Self Promote

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Honestly, my focus yesterday was directed towards getting attention for this blog at the expense of my reputation. Although I was receiving traffic, I wasn't representing myself in a way I'd like people to perceive me. We all have our stupid moments and I feel bad that I actually brought that lack of professionalism onto TheFastlaneForum where people are focused solely on bettering themselves and their lives.

This is but just a little blip on the screen of life. You'll live and move on. Most importantly you've learned from this experience and now others can as well.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Well this thread makes me a little uneasy about my idea to start a blog now, although I'm still confident in my content. In OP's defense, I did think his posts were well written which is why I subscribed to him..

Luckily my blog is centered around information that I know a lot about from EXPERIENCE. I've been through high school and have experienced the transition to college and have pretty much seen it all. I have a pretty good idea of the mistakes I made, why I made them, and how I can save other people from making the same ones. I legitimately transitioned from a depressed person with severe social problems to a person of confidence who genuinely enjoys every day I spent on this earth.

Just because I'm 19 doesn't mean I can't provide value to an audience and develop a legitimate readership. I just had to think about who it is I can provide value for and stick to what I know. And that niche happens to be how to get through high school, college and social problems at a young age. There is a HUGE market for information like this these days.

I'd love to hear what people think of this. (if you think I'm making the same mistake, please speak up)

Nothing wrong with starting a blog, and it can be a great path for some. However, if you can't survive the scrutiny of some hard questions about your own credibility, you may be in over your head. Nothing in this thread should dissuade anyone from starting anything, unless the questions asked here made you look in the mirror.

This thread is a GREAT example of why this forum works. It causes introspection, refining, and makes everyone better. Especially benefitting the OP, but hopefully people that come behind him as well.

And that's why we don't delete content. People invested time in this. People can watch the success story that the OP has a chance to become.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
If you consider this a pivot point, mark this day down on a calendar or a journal. Note how you feel, what you did wrong and what you learned. Then go one year from today and mark that date. Set an alarm in google or other online alarm app for that date. When that date arrives. Note what you've learned the past year, the progress you've made. Then you see how far you've come. You're 18. You're way ahead of 99% of people your age.

BTW, once you've finished TMF . Read it again, highlighting and taking notes this time.

D

DeletedUser8

I enjoy blogging; credibility will always be questioned with a lack of life experience. Part of being successful is being able to prove yourself through actions. It's a part of the 'Process'. The 'Event' is the success, relationships, and reputation you've built for yourself. Like Vigilante said, it's about refining yourself and if I may add, 'refining your craft' If people question your expertise, give them a reason to believe.

Magik

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
Sep 23, 2013
What I'd give to have found this forum or the book when I was 18, but neither existed. I could have saved myself a lot of failure and pain.

The great thing about this forum is we don't bullshit each other. You get the raw, often painful truths that most people are unwilling to face, and you can't get the truth without pain, but pain and failure are the touchstones of growth, both in business and at a personal level. The sooner you are willing to accept these uncomfortable truths, the sooner you will experience progress.

G

Guest24480

What I'd give to have found this forum or the book when I was 18, but neither existed. I could have saved myself a lot of failure and pain.

The great thing about this forum is we don't bullshit each other. You get the raw, often painful truths that most people are unwilling to face, and you can't get the truth without pain, but pain and failure are the touchstones of growth, both in business and at a personal level. The sooner you are willing to accept these uncomfortable truths, the sooner you will experience progress.
That's what I liked about this thread. They gave him tough love at first, but then once he realized the mistakes he had made, they let him know that we're here to help him and that's what the community is all about.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
That's what I liked about this thread. They gave him tough love at first, but then once he realized the mistakes he had made, they let him know that we're here to help him and that's what the community is all about.

Sometimes people are baptized by fire. If they survive they'll see the benefits of sticking around.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I've learned your all nice tough love people. Be thankful there not like the tough love people I know that keep on going even when you already learned the lessons and they haven't. You'll do fine kid, tough love people teach you how to win! win! win! In some cases because they've never done it themselves. In other cases like here because they've done it already!

Joe Cassandra

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
509%
Jul 25, 2013
Woodstock, GA

I'm new to fully utilizing this forum, but what you'll find is we are VERY protective of this forum because most forums/facebook groups/linkedin groups/youtube comments have turned into a SPAM fest with everyone wanting to be Internet marketers the "easy" way by thinking they can spam the crap out of everyone and it'll work.

The last thing we want is a place that has been valuable for a while to turn into that and, on a more selfish note, we don't want the heavy-hitters on the forum to take the value they've given in the little free time they have to another place on the internet.

Also, we all respect and admire MJ and he's been bulding this forum for 7 years which is not an easy feat

Be water my friend
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
May 17, 2014
O..'.....
The fact that you've come in here guns blazing with multiple posts (many of which I had to delete) tells me you really don't know anything building a business, a blog, or anything other than what you read from a book.

I enjoy these types of posts. First of all it sets an example for other wantrepreneurs to get their shit together before posting non-substantive crap that'll only get them flamed. Secondly it proves that this forum does not take BS, plain and simple. Thirdly and hopefully it could save the wantrepreneur or some poor soul time, resources, and money. Imagine he continues his euphoric high heading to Lamboland borrowing money from friends and loved ones only to lose it down the road? I'd like to think of this as a virtual bitch-slap to wake the f' up and snap back to reality and that we're really helping the guy out. And last but not least it's FuN.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I want to apologize for yesterday.

No problem. And your response to this thread speaks volumes of maturity and the willingness to listen and be teachable.

Most people who receive cold criticism lash out, cry, and then leave. You did not. We are here not to be like "most people." You have shown to be unlike the "most".

Hope to see you around and u keep writing, you have something there.

Best,
MJ

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
First off, great thread because OP made a bad post, bad offer and felt the BURN. So many people do this and say "Whats wrong with these people?! Don't they get it?"; but OP said "Well maybe I did something wrong", looked in the mirror and said "Yup, that was a bad move". That's rare.

Just because I'm 19 doesn't mean I can't provide value to an audience and develop a legitimate readership. I just had to think about who it is I can provide value for and stick to what I know. And that niche happens to be how to get through high school, college and social problems at a young age. There is a HUGE market for information like this these days.

I don't mean to derail, but I have a few comments on blogging for someone just getting into it...

First off, REALLY examine your market first. If I did the same amount work I did last year but in a higher value niche (like making money, getting an education, golf, booze, whatever), I would be making a lot more.

Your niche of high school kids conquering social problems is REALLY weak in my opinion. High school and college kids have no money. Who is the customer here? What are you selling?

Young people don't buy information. They are naive and think they are immortal and know it all. They are cheap. If you want to help people get through HS and college, your target market is the PARENTS imho, not the kids.

When it comes to info products, always think in terms of who you are targeting, and how much cash they have in their bank account. 90% of college and high school kids are broke and have to ask Mommy for permission for most purchases (though they will never admit it).

Second off, when you put something out there, make sure it's something people can (1) use and (2) will find interesting. I.E. provide huge value for free.

99% of your stuff will be free, and that free stuff better be SO GOOD that people think you're amazing and will NEED to see what's behind that paywall.

I made 5 posts on Reddit that BOMBED. But when I found something that was useful, I made one of the salesiest posts on Reddit ever. I got 2k subs overnight, but a lot of people were flagging it as spam. The MODERATORS told them to stop flagging it up because it was so high value, and they actually fought in my corner.

Those are two big lessons I learned. I have a bunch more but this isn't a blogging thread. Was just hoping to help you out @holmzee

GuestUser201

BRAAP!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Apr 26, 2014
Park City, Utah
Not saying that it can't be done, but do we really need ANOTHER blog on finance or entrepreneurship? I don't know whats more common, business blogs or personal fitness and diet websites.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
hmm...I'll just keep working on mine till I'm ready for the darts. I am still learning. Thank God for the Fastlane, I learned how to engage. And it works. I guess I wasn't ready yet in 2011, because you didn't appear until 2014. I was doing it all wrong. Still doing it all wrong. I'm learning. I have to stop being shy and bashful. Get out of my comfort zone and get on cam next. Scary! Talk blog radio scary! I was really shy in 2011. We got do this in next few months! Yoda says just do it!

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
G

Guest24480

First off, great thread because OP made a bad post, bad offer and felt the BURN. So many people do this and say "Whats wrong with these people?! Don't they get it?"; but OP said "Well maybe I did something wrong", looked in the mirror and said "Yup, that was a bad move". That's rare.

I don't mean to derail, but I have a few comments on blogging for someone just getting into it...

First off, REALLY examine your market first. If I did the same amount work I did last year but in a higher value niche (like making money, getting an education, golf, booze, whatever), I would be making a lot more.

Your niche of high school kids conquering social problems is REALLY weak in my opinion. High school and college kids have no money. Who is the customer here? What are you selling?

Young people don't buy information. They are naive and think they are immortal and know it all. They are cheap. If you want to help people get through HS and college, your target market is the PARENTS imho, not the kids.

When it comes to info products, always think in terms of who you are targeting, and how much cash they have in their bank account. 90% of college and high school kids are broke and have to ask Mommy for permission for most purchases (though they will never admit it).

Second off, when you put something out there, make sure it's something people can (1) use and (2) will find interesting. I.E. provide huge value for free.

99% of your stuff will be free, and that free stuff better be SO GOOD that people think you're amazing and will NEED to see what's behind that paywall.

I made 5 posts on Reddit that BOMBED. But when I found something that was useful, I made one of the salesiest posts on Reddit ever. I got 2k subs overnight, but a lot of people were flagging it as spam. The MODERATORS told them to stop flagging it up because it was so high value, and they actually fought in my corner.

Those are two big lessons I learned. I have a bunch more but this isn't a blogging thread. Was just hoping to help you out @holmzee
Thanks for the advice. Looks like it may be back to the drawing board after a little reevaluation. At least I only "wasted" a week on it, although nothing was a waste as I learned quite a bit.

JoeBocce

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Jul 19, 2012
Florida & New England
Tough love...it works! It can change your life! It can set you on a new course! Hopefully your eyes and ears will be open to opportunities and wisdom that comes your way, Ryan.

At 18 years old I wanted to take a bartending course, but thankfully at a family party my cousin told me to instead work for him at the beach hotel bar he managed. Without hesitation I accepted, and just like that became the one and only barback for that popular high end establishment. The next spring I was working hard, and quickly so I thought, wiping ashtrays, mopping/cleaning the bar until 2 or 3am, accepting/stocking deliveries and taking out trash bags that sometimes leaked on my pants and sneakers. Stocking beer coolers at the end of the night was my responsibility, too; everyone else who made way more money than me sat at the bar drinking a beer, letting me know I was the low man on the totem pole. I lugged 2 kegs at a time up from a dingy basement that when you turned on the lights, you would see dozens of cockroaches scurry away.

All that, and I still earned the nickname Turtle. Now is that fair or nice? Fairness doesn't matter and I knew I didn't believe I was slow, so I pressed on and kept my job that others before me had quit. Paying our dues is part of growing.

$100 - $150 a night was average, but sometimes just $50, while I cut my teeth. Occasionally I had the honor to pour some drafts or glasses of wine, or mix a basic rum and coke while still doing the grunt work as the only barback. Although I wanted to be a bartender, I knew there was a process and I never complained. When a bartender missed work or we were super busy I filled in as best I could, learning on the job. My cousin taught me, when you don't know what goes in a drink, ask the patron who ordered, and if they don't know, smile and tell them they shouldn't be drinking it then. All summer I worked as a barback and learned my craft before getting my own official bartending shift, however I wouldn't change a thing. It was necessary for me to appreciate the process and rewards. It was also a lot of fun.

I learned by trial by fire and continued to work there through college as a bartender and valet which led me to write a business plan for my dream restaurant as a class project. I devoured all I could about food service, restaurants and marketing in Entrepreneur Magazine and food magazines. Seeking advice, I cold called and talked to the owners of major restaurant companies such as Lettuce Entertain You in Chicago and Boston Market, and talked to smaller players in the industry. After graduation, family and friends thought I was nuts to waste my education managing a restaurant, but I was doing it for experience based on the advice of the influencers I reached out to. Over the next few years, I also sold computers and I started a landscaping business; finally, 6 years after being called Turtle for an entire summer and tirelessly working day and night, keeping my vision in the front of my mind at my other jobs, at 25 years old I eagerly and willingly risked it all to open my own restaurant.

The restaurant is long gone, but had I not received the tough love by being called Turtle and learning the restaurant business by being tossed into the fire, I would not be who I am today or own my current business.

Ryan, have a vision and tenacity, be persistent but flexible and listen to the wise advice of people who are where you want to be, and you will be a winner. Accept tough love when it comes your way, then take lessons from it.

Wishing you a successful life, Joe

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
The restaurant is long gone, but had I not received the tough love by being called Turtle and learning the restaurant business by being tossed into the fire, I would not be who I am today or own my current business.

Just today I had a flashback to me mopping floors. There was a lady at the gym mopping up the floor and I actually took pause to think about the time I was doing the same thing. Where you've been is just as important as where you're going.

Iwokeup

Aut viam invenium aut faciam
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
Just today I had a flashback to me mopping floors. There was a lady at the gym mopping up the floor and I actually took pause to think about the time I was doing the same thing. Where you've been is just as important as where you're going.
Hah! I've been there too.

Which is kind of an incredible thing about our country... You never know if the lady or guy cleaning your floor or emptying the trash will someday end up where you are... Or beyond.

Most people won't, but for some, the current situation just isn't enough. They need more!

I believe that life isn't about anything so much as how you respond to getting smacked in the face.. Do you fold? Or get up even more determined to WIN?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.