The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Why You Shouldn't Use Upwork

dave773

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
Dec 29, 2016
australia
Today I logged into my Upwork account and was met with this..

'Your Account has been suspended. Please Contact Customer Support'

Over the past month, I have applied for just a few small jobs. While I don't use it as an income, it still pissed me off! I was actually waiting for payment from a client to begin a small $300 job. Now.. I really wonder what they look at when suspending accounts. The most questionable thing I have done was include my skype ID in a proposal.

Yet without warning, they have served me with a suspension. And also without an explanation!

Feeling annoyed, I attempted to contact customer support. But it seems like they have removed this function despite the suspension clearing saying 'Contact Customer Support'.

Their new method is for people to post questions in a forum and I get why they did this. Lowering costs means more money for them. Paying a few mods is going to cost A LOT less than employing an entire customer service team.

Okay fine..so I tried to post a question. But the drop down menu for 'Category' would not work. After going around in circles a few times trying to solve this problem, I was getting angry and decided it was not worth my time. I have to go through all this effort to post a damn question and contact someone? Well, screw Upwork.

Stop taking the easy way out and do what is hard.

When you use Upwork, you are sacrificing control. You have to play by Upwork's rules whether you like them or not. Upwork has all the control, and you are going to do what you are told!

We are going to remove live chat and customer support and replace it with a forum discussion. Don't like it? Too bad.

We are going to raise fees from 10% to 20% because we have monopolized the freelance industry, and can do whatever the f* we want. Don't like it? Too bad.

We are going to tell you the 20% fees, actually BENEFIT you. We know people are stupid, including you! because when we tell you to do something, you are going to do it! You may not like it, but you will be forced to accept it.

We will even tell you that increasing our cut is going to HELP YOU. But we both know we are obviously full of sh*t. Don't like it? Too bad.

We are going to suspend you whenever we feel like you have violated our Terms of Conditions. And, we are going to do it without ANY warning, and without explanation. Go see our FAQ's buddy.

Upwork was your main income? Well too bad. We just don't care.

Either you are willing to play by Upwork's rules or you need to finally grow a pair. Stop taking the easy way out! Not just with Upwork, but in every aspect of your life.

This ban has served as a reminder that there is a price to pay when you sacrifice control. Start taking matters into your own hands and find your customers YOURSELF.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Sadik

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
Jan 26, 2017
Kolkata, India
Honestly, it isn't very difficult to find customers yourself if you know how to present value in your pitches. But having said that you are doing the blame game here. Upwork is responsible because you can't post a comment on their forum? Last I checked hundreds of people are posting on their forums every day. Why can't you?

Yes, some of the functionality in their site is poor, but you have to find a way to get what you want done. I have posted on Upwork's forum before when once their system didn't email me when a client had replied in their messaging system causing me to not respond. Guess what, I got my message to them, they had to apologize, even awarded me connects (which were of no use to me by the way because all my projects are through invites). Point being, no point in complaining.

Waspy

Float like a butterfly
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Dec 6, 2016
U.K.
Stop playing the victim and get back to work.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
We see a post like this once a month. Sometimes it's about eBay. Sometimes it's about Amazon. And sometimes it's Upwork.

But it all serves us one really important reminder.

The commandment of Control must be obeyed.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
We see a post like this once a month. Sometimes it's about eBay. Sometimes it's about Amazon. And sometimes it's Upwork.

But it all serves us one really important reminder.

The commandment of Control must be obeyed.

Agreed.

I'd also argue that starting is more important than any commandment or warning.

It sucks when someone loses an amazon, upwork or paypal account but I bet they learned enough using those methods that adapting to those changes and growing to the next level is a lot more organic and experienced for them.

The guy who is angry at having 100k locked out of reach from his paypal account isn't going to throw his hands up and say "oh well, back to the 9-5, if paypal is broken I'm screwed". The guy who loses this upwork account isn't going to say "I'm doomed, where can I find more clients now?!?!". The guy who has his amazon account frozen isn't going to say "Well shit, where can I sell things now?". They'll instead take what they know and apply it differently and in smarter ways.

If anything this isn't a story about why you shouldn't use upwork. It's a story about how you need to remember that things can change and you need to stay flexible and press on and learn from the past to make a better future.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014
It sucks when someone loses an amazon, upwork or paypal account but I bet they learned enough using those methods that adapting to those changes and growing to the next level is a lot more organic and experienced for them.

Surprise surprise, building a business with solid processes and channels is fundamentally iterative. :smile:

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Using Upwork to generate leads isn't the 'easy way out'. It's one of many channels that can be used to generate leads. That's all.

The 'easy way out' is to rely on a single traffic source.

As stated above: don't rely on any single channel for anything. I've seen it described here as not having a single point of failure.

If one thing can crash your business, you've failed the commandment of control entirely.

Lose one client and your business crashes? Control fail. Banned account on something, business crashed? Control fail. Facebook suspends your ads? Control fail. Manufacturer stops making your product? Control fail.

If you're a freelancer or an agency, you'll want to have multiple prospecting channels. If you sell product, you'll want to have different sales channels.

Keep in mind though that nobody starts a business having control fully fulfilled. It's something that's built over time to cement your business as something that's less likely to be taken away from you. No one thing should crash the business.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.