MJ DeMarco
I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Read Choose Hard!
I'm happy to announce that I bought a house today and got a steal of a price -- 25% discount and under assessed tax value! I plan to live there for 1 year while my primary residence completes its remodeling/pool project - which has gotten out of control.
I got the deal primarily because I WASN'T working with a real estate agent - which i never do.
First a disclaimer: This is not an attack on real estate agents as I know there are a few here. This is my opinion on WHY I don't use an agent. Second, this is based on my experience as a buyer and seller of real estate; not as a full-time "investor".
Why I Never Work With a Real Estate Agent
In the past 10 years, I've bought and sold various properties from homes to land, and I've NEVER used a real estate agent, w/exception to the first home I ever bought.
First, on the sell side. I always sell By Owner (FSBO) and pay a listing service to drop the property in the MLS. Then I offer the buyer agents a fee if they bring a buyer -- from 2% -3%. The caveat is you have to be home to show the house, or, put the house on your own lockbox (which can be purchased at any Home Depot).
I buy the standard contracts and do them myself.
On the buy side, I troll neighborhoods I want to buy/live. I call the agent and ask for a showing. I line em up one after another! Now, since I am not represented by an agent, I have some negotiating power to get a lower price since the 3% is saved in buyer agent commission OR the selling agent is motivated because he thinks 6% is coming his way.
Prior to trolling neighborhoods, I search the web for properties. In the age of the internet, you now have access to MLS listings which was once a sacred ground for Realtors. Not any longer.
I used in my search:
1) Realtor.com
2) Craigslist.com (Distressed)
3) RealtyTrac.com (Distressed)
4) Maricopa.gov (Check Neighborhood comps / Tax bills)
I was able to get a contract due to the fact that I was NOT represented by a real estate agent - the seller (which was FSBO and offering 4% to buyer agents) was FREE from paying commission to anyone.
I was told later that my offer wasn't the best; but since I didn't have agent representation, I got the deal. The seller netted MORE since all agents where removed from the transaction.
My competition on the property was working with agents costing the seller thousands - hence, they didn't get the deal. Every dollar counts to a motivated seller.
Remember, 3% on a $1,000,000 home is $30,000 -- what can you do with $30K?
A lot!!!
:eusa_clap:
I got the deal primarily because I WASN'T working with a real estate agent - which i never do.
First a disclaimer: This is not an attack on real estate agents as I know there are a few here. This is my opinion on WHY I don't use an agent. Second, this is based on my experience as a buyer and seller of real estate; not as a full-time "investor".
Why I Never Work With a Real Estate Agent
In the past 10 years, I've bought and sold various properties from homes to land, and I've NEVER used a real estate agent, w/exception to the first home I ever bought.
First, on the sell side. I always sell By Owner (FSBO) and pay a listing service to drop the property in the MLS. Then I offer the buyer agents a fee if they bring a buyer -- from 2% -3%. The caveat is you have to be home to show the house, or, put the house on your own lockbox (which can be purchased at any Home Depot).
I buy the standard contracts and do them myself.
On the buy side, I troll neighborhoods I want to buy/live. I call the agent and ask for a showing. I line em up one after another! Now, since I am not represented by an agent, I have some negotiating power to get a lower price since the 3% is saved in buyer agent commission OR the selling agent is motivated because he thinks 6% is coming his way.
Prior to trolling neighborhoods, I search the web for properties. In the age of the internet, you now have access to MLS listings which was once a sacred ground for Realtors. Not any longer.
I used in my search:
1) Realtor.com
2) Craigslist.com (Distressed)
3) RealtyTrac.com (Distressed)
4) Maricopa.gov (Check Neighborhood comps / Tax bills)
I was able to get a contract due to the fact that I was NOT represented by a real estate agent - the seller (which was FSBO and offering 4% to buyer agents) was FREE from paying commission to anyone.
I was told later that my offer wasn't the best; but since I didn't have agent representation, I got the deal. The seller netted MORE since all agents where removed from the transaction.
My competition on the property was working with agents costing the seller thousands - hence, they didn't get the deal. Every dollar counts to a motivated seller.
Remember, 3% on a $1,000,000 home is $30,000 -- what can you do with $30K?
A lot!!!
:eusa_clap:
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
