The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Real Estate Agent or A Multi Cafe business

Sai Paresh

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Aug 25, 2021
Hello all,

I have read both TMF and Unscripted of MJ. The content is really great.

I need some advice from fellow entrepreneurs about which business is better when it comes to CENTS framework.

I am really passionate about real estate and always learning about it from great real estate people like Grant Cardone, Graham Stephen etc. from YouTube. Now real estate investing is a strategy for building passive income but actual wealth can be created by selling real estate. So I am wondering whether becoming real estate agent is a good idea.

The second business I am thinking is a Cafe business. Now a single cafe is surely not a fastlane. But opening cafe at multiple locations in some years can be a fastlane business.

So what would you people suggest? Is going for real estate better as there is magnitude that means selling few homes/apartments/commercial properties as a agent will make good money OR starting a cafe and slowly building it as a brand and then open multiple chains/franchises over a couple of years.

PS- I am from India and I know market/demographics are very different in US and India. Please try to give some advice considering India has a huge population and is still a developing nation

Thanks

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I am really passionate about real estate and always learning about it from great real estate people like Grant Cardone, Graham Stephen etc. from YouTube. Now real estate investing is a strategy for building passive income but actual wealth can be created by selling real estate. So I am wondering whether becoming real estate agent is a good idea.

The second business I am thinking is a Cafe business. Now a single cafe is surely not a fastlane. But opening cafe at multiple locations in some years can be a fastlane business.

Which offers to fill a better need with better skew? I'm not hearing a decision made on market factors, but personal wants and loves. And moreover, where in these books do a say to pursue passions and loves?

You read the books, but are you following its practice? Your question indicates no.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
Hello all,

I need some advice from fellow entrepreneurs about which business is better when it comes to CENTS framework.

So what would you people suggest? Is going for real estate better as there is magnitude that means selling few homes/apartments/commercial properties as a agent will make good money OR starting a cafe and slowly building it as a brand and then open multiple chains/franchises over a couple of years.

PS- I am from India and I know market/demographics are very different in US and India. Please try to give some advice considering India has a huge population and is still a developing nation

Thanks
Investing is not a business. Unless you are a small developer. And scalability is largely limited by the amount of money or loan you can get. Definitely not my cup of tea looking for asymmetric risk reward return.

Cafe business is notorious death ground for passion lovers with highly competitive nature between cafes. Skewing proposition is usually forced by he owner (we are special in this and that bla bla bla) and rarely do customers see the difference between one cafe versus the other. Not my cup of tea either.

Sai Paresh

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Aug 25, 2021
Which offers to fill a better need with better skew? I'm not hearing a decision made on market factors, but personal wants and loves. And moreover, where in these books do a say to pursue passions and loves?

You read the books, but are you following its practice? Your question indicates no.
Thanks MJ.

Well I did not mean that I want to get into real estate business because I love real estate. I am passionate about building a fastlane business which keeps me waking up in the morning and hustling as you nicely quoted in TMF "The motivational fuel for the Fastlane is passion, not love". Now there is a opportunity in real estate as I have heard from many people that real estate agents are not good in town.

But I wanted to know your take on scale vs magnitude since there is magnitude in real estate.

Sai Paresh

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Aug 25, 2021
Investing is not a business. Unless you are a small developer. And scalability is largely limited by the amount of money or loan you can get. Definitely not my cup of tea looking for asymmetric risk reward return.

Cafe business is notorious death ground for passion lovers with highly competitive nature between cafes. Skewing proposition is usually forced by he owner (we are special in this and that bla bla bla) and rarely do customers see the difference between one cafe versus the other. Not my cup of tea either.
Thanks for your insights for cafe business. Although I didn't say that I am passionate about cafe business. It is just a regular business which can be scaled through chaining or franchises.

And for real estate I know investing is not a business that's why I asked for insights on "Real Estate agents" business as Real estate agents is about selling homes/apartments/land etc to get a nice commission.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
Thanks for your insights for cafe business. Although I didn't say that I am passionate about cafe business. It is just a regular business which can be scaled through chaining or franchises.

And for real estate I know investing is not a business that's why I asked for insights on "Real Estate agents" business as Real estate agents is about selling homes/apartments/land etc to get a nice commission.
Using the cents framework being a realtor/ property agent, has its benefits and limits. One drawback about old industries is about license and compliance. You can in theory, lose your certification due to a complaint made against you, by your client, on some regulatory breach related issues. Even though it is a smaller risk event than Google removing your youtube creator account for community strikes,but the logic is the same. I operate in the financial service sales so I understand the sword dangling on our heads very very well. We have recurring commission and hence more to lose if that happen.

In theory the revenue is “unlimited” but you always have to spent time in person to travel with client to view room. The scalability is on bigger deals and more more deals but you only have 24 hours that place a hard limit on what you can accomplish possibly running on one man.

Your sales leader may tell you in theory you can scale through being an agency leader and recruitment/management but this traditional manpower reliant sales work do not ramp up as fast as online products or services.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I am passionate about building a fastlane business which keeps me waking up in the morning and hustling as you nicely quoted in TMF "The motivational fuel for the Fastlane is passion, not love". Now there is a opportunity in real estate as I have heard from many people that real estate agents are not good in town.

Ah OK. If there is a need for RE agents in your area, then go for it. My stance on passion is to have a passion for the your end goal, for the personal growth, and for the achievement -- not necessarily the process. The process often times, is never fun, or passionate, but a grind.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Hello all,

So what would you people suggest? Is going for real estate better as there is magnitude that means selling few homes/apartments/commercial properties as a agent will make good money OR starting a cafe and slowly building it as a brand and thenAn open multiple chains/franchises over a couple of years.

Thanks
First consideration I would have is that food businesses have the highest failure rate of any class of business. This includes restaurants and coffee shops. And everyone thinks that they can start this type of business. Years ago, I did see one owner that made his successful before he ever built the building. He bought the lot and brought in his food truck. When he built up his business base, he built his building. His location was one block from my home at that time. And his food was wonderful.

About RE. There are tons of different careers within that industry. What's your plan? It's whole bunch of up-front job skills. How are you going to start?

I feel like your choosing your future business like pulling it out of your hat. This is not just a random decision -- well, if I don't do this, I'll do that...

What are your skills? What is your education? What are your interests? What is needed in your marketing area?
How about becoming successful with one stand alone venture?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.