The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Why I Left RD Forums

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Deterioration of the RD Forums

I left the RD forums approximately 2 years ago as I found myself engaging in conversations with people who simply "didn't get it" - some had no intention on learning and were there to stir-the-pot.

I for one am partly to blame for not having the fortitude to resist the temptations of the conversations; politics, and government issues to name a few.

I recently returned to the RD forums to retrieve a few dozen posts I wrote years back in research for my own book. I found the place worse off than I left and later learned much of the good people were also gone, or just plain hiding.

Its too bad that the RD corporation doesn't believe in the power of the internet and the power of a community.

Thats too bad because I do.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Jason_MI

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 25, 2007
Agreed. It was one thing, years ago, to talk about real stuff, then have some banter on the General Discussion board, but it's been taken to the extreme. As I outlined over there, the sense of community was kind of torn, and it's hard to seriously discuss other items with people who you'd never want to associate with, or can't imagine associating with, in real life.

kimberland

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jul 25, 2007
I get tired about the lack of doing.

Folks may not approve (or understand) everything I'm doing,
and yes, I do fail (quite often),
but heck, at least I'm doing something.

I'm very excited about the new business development section, MJ.
Will certainly be posting some good content there
(I am limited to my self imposed 150 word cap on clientk.com
and get the urge to talk in more detail about topics).

: )

RaceDriver

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Jul 25, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Do we know if Piranha256 is coming over this way? TheGreatBear? There was some pretty good discussion in the 'Paper Assets' section of the RD boards about a year ago; it would be nice to get a few of the key players to come in over here...

• Admin

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
They might not know about this forum - it'd be nice to have Piranha as he's an expert in paper assets. Maybe we can get QuickTrade too ... :nono: yea, just kidding.

emorgan

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Jul 24, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
My evil twin

It's Jennifer Grey, aka JG, aka the love of Jason's life, aka my evil twin.

(She has had some adjusting since the dirty dancing days, but why the hell not?)

camski

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Jul 24, 2007
Noblesville, IN
I wont say I totally left, yet.

But I wont be checking in there every day like I used to. My daily reading will probably be here just due to the fact that it would appear that the core group of doers and people of substance appear to be migrating here. It is kind of ironic how RK talks in his book, and I am paraphrasing here, about the people you surround yourself with and now the forum that has his brand on it now consists of people who I dont want to be around.

salezpro

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jul 27, 2007
South Eastern UT
Like Camski, I haven't totally left either. Once a week, or so, I scan though the threads for topics of interests, and skip over the negative stuff and junk.
I believe their are still some worthwhile subjects discussed on RD and some positive, engaging topics.

• Admin

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Like Camski, I haven't totally left either. Once a week, or so, I scan though the threads for topics of interests, and skip over the negative stuff and junk.
I believe their are still some worthwhile subjects discussed on RD and some positive, engaging topics.

I guess I should edit the post to say "Why I don't visit very frequently anymore" ... I still visit, or I guess ya call it "lurk" .

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I mentally left the forums after this year's RD meeting. You can see what happened from other member's posts on the other thread.

I still go back... but it's more of a fun forum to read and make fun of people. :rofl: I don't expect to get any answers over there.

BTW, I should add that MJ, I think you've got a great start to a forum here. I predict that it's going to grow very very fast. I find myself checking it a few times a day for new posts. This is how it used to be for me at RD back in the day.

Merkin Man

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jul 25, 2007
Williamsville, NY
I Did It, too...

Well I finally did it everyone. I officially logged out of the Rich Dad forums for the last time. Like the rest of you, I have grown all too tired of the non-doers who sit around on their computers all day and do nothing toward the development of themselves, all the while debating, name-calling and spewing their political or other crazy agendas throughout the community. Luckily, as of my posting in this thread, it appears the ones I want to distance myself from most have yet to join this community

Its too bad. I really liked the RD forums at one time, and I am still a believer in the Rich Dad philosophy. But the people there that I am leaving because of are such negative forms of energy that I have no other choice. Sometimes I would find myself literally getting side-tracked for hours getting pulled into some debate about a complete non-issue. I can't afford that any longer. I can't allow that negativity to effect me.

I'll miss it there. But it is what I have to do in order to move forward.

JesseO

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jul 25, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I still visit there daily to answer questions or see if anything good has been written. I'm guessing you are MadMerkin on RD forums? In any case, it's good to have you here, and don't forget to Vote Mickey Mouse 2008! :cheers:

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Well I finally did it everyone. I officially logged out of the Rich Dad forums for the last time. Like the rest of you, I have grown all too tired of the non-doers who sit around on their computers all day and do nothing toward the development of themselves, all the while debating, name-calling and spewing their political or other crazy agendas throughout the community. Luckily, as of my posting in this thread, it appears the ones I want to distance myself from most have yet to join this community

Its too bad. I really liked the RD forums at one time, and I am still a believer in the Rich Dad philosophy. But the people there that I am leaving because of are such negative forms of energy that I have no other choice. Sometimes I would find myself literally getting side-tracked for hours getting pulled into some debate about a complete non-issue. I can't afford that any longer. I can't allow that negativity to effect me.

I'll miss it there. But it is what I have to do in order to move forward.

Some guys over there have 300 posts; none of them business related - only political, bush-bashing, conspiracy crap. They won't last 1 hour over here.

Merkin Man

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jul 25, 2007
Williamsville, NY
Some guys over there have 300 posts; none of them business related - only political, bush-bashing, conspiracy crap. They won't last 1 hour over here.

No kidding. There are one or two with closer to 800 or so posts (speaking of time well spent :eek:) that just unnerve me when I see their stuff.

Don't get me wrong, either. I am far from where I want to be in both my personal and business life. But all that noise was too unsettling for me.

PS: by the way, I love all the smiley faces here!!!

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse over there ... it did.:Guillotine:

Jason_MI

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 25, 2007
Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse over there ... it did.:Guillotine:

Agreed. Sheesh. Problem was that there was no focus. And yeah, I got sucked into a few too many of 'those' kind of discussions. Hard not to. But like anything else, talking or raving about conspiracies is NOT going to make me money. So it's probably time to move on.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Erin don't be mad!!

Here have some flapjacks on me!! :smx7:

WheelsRCool

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Aug 12, 2007
You know, there is a forum I attend where this happened because the moderators do not moderate it at all. It's one thing to allow political discussions, it's another thing to allow rampant name-calling and insults, etc...it's driven off many members from that forum, including me. I still visit there, but not as much.

I debated a good deal in the forums on such topics, but I always did it respectfully (no name-calling or insults, etc...) which actually can have cool results, people who disagree with you will still respect you for being polite.

Luckily some of its members started their own site based on the same subject and they moderate it. In the "General" sections, political topics/discussion are allowed, but it has to be intelligent debate, any name-calling and you're gone!

It also happened at another forum I attend, luckily the owner of the site cracked down immediately so now that site is fine too.

But now I've learned to ignore such forums on sites I visit for information, you could literally make a full-time profession out of arguing on forums. I'm surprised the Rich Dad forum moderators haven't cracked down on all that stuff.

Onasip3

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Aug 17, 2007
Queen Creek AZ
I log in over there every now and then. I wasn't very big into posting I was just reading because I am still in the beginning learning stages with business and real estate. I did however post a couple of times with questions but it seemed like people were too busy arguing about dumb stuff and didn't have time to answer questions ( well not everyone but most). Also I really didn't know who to trust. That is when I stumbled across MJ's posts and found this forum. I am really looking forwrd to learning from everyone here.
Rob

Peter2

Fastane Legend. RIP.
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Aug 2, 2007
Palm Beach, FL
I checked out the RD forum a few days ago, and to me it seems like mostly a bunch of brain washed people posting. Reminded me of running in to a group of Amway people. :rolleyes:

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
I checked out the RD forum a few days ago, and to me it seems like mostly a bunch of brain washed people posting. Reminded me of running in to a group of Amway people. :rolleyes:

DING!:iagree:

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
I checked out the RD forum a few days ago, and to me it seems like mostly a bunch of brain washed people posting. Reminded me of running in to a group of Amway people.
Peter2-

At the risk of sounding nostalgic, it was a different place a few years ago.

Back then, it was a great bunch of motivated investors.

Some just beginning.

A lot with years of experience, who were helping the noobs.

Nowadays, it's like a conspiracy theory-SPAM-MLM central :repuke:

The real investors are completely buried by all the garbage.

-Russ H.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
I think you'll like it here, Chris.

Welcome! :hurray:

-Russ H.