The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Where to start with investing in stocks ?

Anything related to investing, including crypto

Archer_Zero

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Oct 2, 2020
Hi everyone,
I wanted to know where to start & your recommendations for courses or books about investing in the stock market. I have no prior experience & want to invest some savings to grow it & generate a passive income ( I'm looking for stable safe investing ).

Thanks.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Hi everyone,
I wanted to know where to start & your recommendations for courses or books about investing in the stock market. I have no prior experience & want to invest some savings to grow it & generate a passive income ( I'm looking for stable safe investing ).

Thanks.

Start slow and learn as you go.

Get a basic trading app and put in a small amount and get some skin in the game.

Watch out for threads on here covering the latest trends or detailing classic good investments.

Do your own homework and research on what seems interesting to you.

At the same time go through some of the classic books on investing and wealth generation.
(A simple search for "best wealth books" is going to show like 20/30 of them)

That should give you a very solid start.

PapaGang

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Jul 10, 2019
Milwaukee, WI
Last edited:
D

Deleted78083

r/Wallstreetbets

(it's a joke)

On top of what is recommended in the posts above, learn how the economy works (Ray Dalio), then study the industries and companies you want to invest in (how do they make money, why, etc).

Effective stock investing today is being able to see which companies have a great future, and which don't. As such, on top of basic economics, I always recommend to learn about consumer trends and consumer behavior.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
To add to the convo...

From putting my money in the markets, I've seen even great stocks with decent fundamentals and dividends get cut down. That can be very fatal for folks who buy and hold.

Why? Smart money (hedge funds, investment banks, etc).

They quietly buy up stock when there's no news riling up the populace, and then the folks throw in good news for the retail investors to hop onto...and then they sell down once the liquidity gets going...

The market is a place where business ownership in the form of stocks are traded...so there's supply and demand in action. The GME saga is an example of it...a sudden lack of stocks created by the WallStreetBets gang left Melwin Capital dry of shares to borrow for their shorts.

The key here is to learn how to read the candlestick on the chart, and check the volume.
Technical Analysis (TA), in other words.

They not only will tell you the general supply and demand of the stock (i.e. is supply or sellers running out and vice versa), but also the current market sentiment (i.e. are we in a distribution phase or re-accumulation?)

Here's some recommended reading spots:
-Rayner Teo's stuff
He has lots of free materials on his blog and YouTube, but he doesn't discuss much about volume as his TA case studies are more on currency markets, which don't show legit volume most of the time.

What he does show is how to use ATR stop-loss, dynamic support/resistance and general candlestick patterns as tools to plan your entries and exits more logically.

He does sell some books and membership, but his free blogs and ebooks are already enough to get you the basic TA foundation.

-Tom Williams, Wyckoff and Volume Spread Analysis (VSA)
He used to be one of the syndicate traders, so he wrote some stuff to explain how smart money manipulates markets, tests for weak holders and turn downtrends into good opportunities amidst the panic.

I think he expanded some theory from some guy named Wyckoff into official candlesticks...back then if I remember correctly, we just used some ticker tape that only had highs and lows of that time frame...

Some VSA books to check out:
-Master the Markets by Tom Williams
-Trading In the Shadow of the Smart Money

Mind that these books promote the TradeGuider software that supposedly shows when to buy and sell.

But if you do enough practice in reading the charts and interpreting when stock is running out of steam/building up momentum using the VSA principles, you do not need the software.

Some other VSA book I am interested to look into:
-A Complete Guide To Volume Price Analysis by Anna Coulling
Has some case studies on VSA patterns, but I personally prefer reading real-life charts of different stocks to practice seeing the patterns (e.g. was there a buildup before that breakout? Supply overcoming Demand over there?), even though I do not have them on my portfolio

While you can use the VSA principles to do swing trades quite nicely, most of the time I only use them to check if smart money or market sentiment is destroying my core positions. Then I can start selling down heavily to protect my capital.

Or, if the stock price goes unusually parabolic, I can see when is the best moment to take partial profits and let the rest ride.

I know this sounds very short term-ish, but in the wake of the COVID and the Fed money-spam, more retailers and sharks are in the markets...there's more activity than ever that needs us to keep a closer eye on the stocks.

For other reads on stocks, I like Joel Greenblatt's books.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
The best way to make money in the stock market is to take edited photos of a graph that goes up, call it your trading gains, and then sell a course to other lazy idiots through paid shoutouts on IG accounts.

9d10ef07d7c03bc53ec5be90bb732785.jpeg

You want to trade stocks because the idea of running an actual business, creating something of value, getting real customers, and actually having to build something is scary and unappealing. This is why all of you kiddos want to be traders, influencers, dropshippers, etc.

Marigold

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Nov 15, 2018
Glasgow & Malaga
The best way to make money in the stock market is to take edited photos of a graph that goes up, call it your trading gains, and then sell a course to other lazy idiots through paid shoutouts on IG accounts.

View attachment 37569

You want to trade stocks because the idea of running an actual business, creating something of value, getting real customers, and actually having to build something is scary and unappealing. This is why all of you kiddos want to be traders, influencers, dropshippers, etc.
Give it to us straight. Don't sugar coat it :D haha

Marigold

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Nov 15, 2018
Glasgow & Malaga
Hi everyone,

Thanks.
Probably not what you want to hear but I've just taken half my money out the stock market. There are a couple of recent threads in here you might find interesting.

Personally, Ray Dalio and Tony Robbins money master the game and unshakeable were what did me very well in the stock market. A lot to be said for Vanguard...

PapaGang

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Jul 10, 2019
Milwaukee, WI

View attachment 37569

This is the best thing I've read all day.

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
r/Wallstreetbets

(it's a joke)
Reddit is a good place to start. If you want to lern to recognize the pump and dump game.
When you are through that, you can lern to do your dd and buy real company parts.

Mario_fastlaner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Mar 1, 2019
Milano

View attachment 37569

Brutally honest.

dinobose

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Feb 7, 2021
I love these convergences... I've been thinking about doing some investing for a few months now and I got the forum weekly email with this thread. Thank you all for your feedback and the helpful info and links!!!

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Is RobinHood a good place to start?
No.
They actually shut down folks from buying meme stocks in the Gamestop craze, and actually had to get a billion-dollar bailout to save their liquidity.

Go for TDAmeritrade or some local bank
(if you are non-American, see what major banks in your country offer. Some local banks are better used for trading local stocks, while TD or IBKR can give access to overseas stocks with lower fees than bank brokers).

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Here you go.

Pay no attention to the FOMO created on Reddit and crypto forums.

investingwaste.png

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.