The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Where do you put your cash I'm the meantime?

Anything related to investing, including crypto

tonyf7

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Oct 27, 2016
Arkansas
My wife and I have some excess cash just sitting in various savings accounts earning nothing. Any suggestions on where to park that money while we work on that paycheck pot and FU account?

I currently own a small slow lane business which I want to grow so it can produce more income so I can pay off all of our debt. I hate debt. But in the meantime I'd like my money to at least be earning something. Recently an insurance agent peaked my curiosity about putting that money into a Life Insurance policy but after doing some research I found out that that's a shit idea.

Thoughts?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
Why not pay off the debt first? What’s the interest on your debt?

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
My wife and I have some excess cash just sitting in various savings accounts earning nothing. Any suggestions on where to park that money while we work on that paycheck pot and FU account?

I currently own a small slow lane business which I want to grow so it can produce more income so I can pay off all of our debt. I hate debt. But in the meantime I'd like my money to at least be earning something. Recently an insurance agent peaked my curiosity about putting that money into a Life Insurance policy but after doing some research I found out that that's a shit idea.

Thoughts?

I hate lazy money. So I like the stock market. It doesn't get much better than one click and your money is deployed in a way that you like. One click to get it back.

Now, as far as what to invest in, that is an argument as contradictory as the day is long.

If you want to replicate what a run of the mill money manager might do without having to pay them or ask them for your money back, take a look at a balanced ETF like this.

It has high trade volumes and you can just slam money in and out of it all you want. Black Rock does all the work. It just isn't going to be spectacular.

You buy it with a trading platform like Fidelity, TD Ameritrade, Schwab... Whatever.

I would suggest you learn enough to know what you like and don't like in an investment and customize your approach over time.

tonyf7

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Oct 27, 2016
Arkansas
Why not pay off the debt first? What’s the interest on your debt?
All the interest rates are below 6% if I'm remembering correctly. Not much but that's 6% I'm paying to someone else and I hate that idea.

tonyf7

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Oct 27, 2016
Arkansas
I would suggest you learn enough to know what you like and don't like in an investment and customize your approach over time.

So much to learn and no idea where to start! Overwhelming.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
So much to learn and no idea where to start! Overwhelming.

Then for now... AOM is your ticket.

Just read about it on the ishares website... It is pretty straightforward.

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
If your debt is at 6% or more, probably better to pay it off than to invest in something at 6% no?

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
If your debt is at 6% or more, probably better to pay it off than to invest in something at 6% no?

I would hope that he has more money than debt...

Much like not paying a home off because it is cheap debt, servicing any debt is better than paying it off if you are making better returns on that money than you are paying in interest.

If it is even, make things simple and just pay off the debt.

If you can't realistically expect better returns then you should also pay off the debt.

If it is just a heaping pile of debt that you have no realistic chance of paying off in 2-3 years, just file bankruptcy and start the healing process.

tonyf7

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Oct 27, 2016
Arkansas

Much like not paying a home off because it is cheap debt, servicing any debt is better than paying it off if you are making better returns on that money than you are paying in interest.

If you can't realistically expect better returns then you should also pay off the debt.

If it is just a heaping pile of debt that you have no realistic chance of paying off in 2-3 years, just file bankruptcy and start the healing process.

As I mentioned, that money isn't earning anything at the moment and I am not educated enough to feel confident about picking investments that will yield me 6% returns. Not even close to that level of knowledge yet.

Which is why I want to pay off all of our debt and save myself all that interest. It'll be like paying myself 6%. It's just two mortgages, a student loan and a couple of car notes. No credit cards. I just really like the idea not owing anyone a penny.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
As I mentioned, that money isn't earning anything at the moment and I am not educated enough to feel confident about picking investments that will yield me 6% returns. Not even close to that level of knowledge yet.

Which is why I want to pay off all of our debt and save myself all that interest. It'll be like paying myself 6%. It's just two mortgages, a student loan and a couple of car notes. No credit cards. I just really like the idea not owing anyone a penny.

I literally just gave you an ETF that has a 10 year history of over 6% returns.

I guess I wasted my time answering your question.

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas

With you here.

Really? Just 2-3 years? Hmm I'd expect it's way worse to file for bankruptcy unless it'd take like 10 years to pay something off...

curious

:rofl:

EvanOkanagan

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
380%
Aug 2, 2013

You just answered your own question about what to do with that money...

Am I missing something here?

The answer is to use all that money to pay off the 6% interest debt. By just holding the money in your savings account you’re essentially losing out on 6% interest.

guy93777

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jun 5, 2019

Thoughts?

maybe you should put it in yourself by learning new skills

a new skill is like a tree. it will give you fruits again and again

nobody , no taxes and no financial crash can steal you this value inside yourself

it is yours forever and it will yield you money

example :

buy a 100 dollars guitar, learn to play the guitar. create songs or sing in pubs

your 100 dollars guitar and your skills are a tree that will give you money for ever since music will always be considered as something of value in society.

tonyf7

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Oct 27, 2016
Arkansas

No time waisted my friend. Just haven't checked out your link yet.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.