The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What's your favorite off-hours side hustle?

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
If I was 20 and just starting again, I don't know where I'd begin. There are so many options today vs 30 years ago.

From organized hustles (Lyft, Uber, Grubhub, TaskRabbit) to self-directed ones (side hustle labor like handyman services, cleaning garbage cans, pulling weeds, etc.) I'd have a hard time choosing WHAT to do.

becks22

90% coffee, 10% everything else
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Jul 6, 2016
Upstate NY
Something crafty!
I'm not a great knitter but I'm sure I would get better if I practiced more.
I'm making a mobile for my sisters baby and I'm very much enjoying myself. I could see myself making upscale baby mobiles for a craft fair and selling them for 80-100 a piece.

B.Cotter

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Apr 23, 2020
Northern VA
I flip used furniture on the side. Average just under $2k profit per week with 4-5 sales. Not long term, and don't plan to turn it into something mainstream for myself. Just a way to build capital currently, moving to the next project.

I did meet a guy a few weeks back that flips a lot of things and turned it into his primary source of income. He explained his strategy/model to me, and it's actually pretty genius, especially since flipping is very opportunistic in nature and you have next to no control.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Aug 13, 2018
For those that have a 40-50+ hour a week slowlane, what is your favorite night/weekend hustle to try and get something going?
Hey.

How's it going?

You still hanging in there?

Looking through your recent threads, it looks like you are really suffering and crying out for help and not seeing any answers.

I'm 38 and I still struggle myself. I work a very slowlane 50+ hours a week job and have very little time for everything else outside of my work.

Sounds like you've already taken a step with your web business which is great. I can't even get that far myself. Any idea I think of requires a skill I don't have or the ability to service customers during normal business hours which I don't have.

I was hired 2 years ago for a sales position at a company, but they wanted me to consult for one of the other divisions for 6 months first. Due to Covid, they didn't want to give me a new sales territory, so 6 months turned into 1 year. 1 year into 2 years.

I was then told that they want me to stay in this division but were going to move me up to a Director level. That level came with it a certain salary range. While it removes the ability to scale with the sales comp plan, I was told I'd be given comparable comp to a upper mid range sales engineer.

I just found out today that instead of moving me up to Director, they created another level under Director which is where I will reside (as a middle manager), and my pay is now capped at about 30% less than what they promised me. But they still expect me to work 50-60 hours a week, and now manage a group of 11 people.

I'm done. I'm absolutely F-ing done. I am so sick of busting my a$$ and having to beg to be paid half what the VPs are getting. The job is absolutely ruining my mental health. They are forcing me into positions that I don't want to be in for much less money than I am worth. I come home tired and miserable, sometimes up working until 1am to get all the work done. I haven't consistently exercised in 8 months because I'm so exhausted from this place.

I actually took this job just under 2 years ago because of the "potential" I was offered. Due to the nature of the world they have since pushed back any transition I was supposed to make, so I am making less than I have in my last 8 years of employment. The benefits/perks are also much worse.
Dude.

Your employer is walking all over you.

They have lied to you over and over, have they not?

They sold you a dream, and it sounds like they're still dangling that carrot ahead of you.

I would tell my friend (aka me) he's an idiot for staying where he is.

I think I chased the "potential" at this company but that is only achieved by a select few. And they are in different roles than I will be. I don't think this is the right spot for me anymore.
So you've known since January that you needed to get out of there.

You are starting your vacation tomorrow, correct?

Why don't you spend the 4-6 hours a day that you were planning to work, and instead spend the time putting out resumes and job applications?

It sounds like you won't be able to pursue the fastlane until you open up a bit of breathing room. You know you have more earning potential than you're making now. You know this job is eating you alive. Get a different one before you seriously harm your mental health.

Switching jobs seems like the best short-term solution to increase your paycheck and decrease your workload.

I do have a spouse, she works from home and is running her own business. Most of the financial responsibility falls on me, as does insurance for the family and all that. We've talked about it before, and the only way she would support leaving a day job would be if the side job already made a similar amount of money. But of course I can't build that without finding the time.
So don't leave the day job just yet. Just change it out for a different one that doesn't destroy you.

In my industry I've seen a glaring need for a specific type of software solution. I searched all over the internet/reddit/forums for a solution, and even called some friends at other companies that have a similar group to mine. Most of the response is "we just figure it out in excel, it's not great."

I don't even know where to start. I wouldn't want to pay a developer to come up with something when I don't even know what the correct solution should be.

So this sounds promising.

Who could you go out to coffee with and just brainstorm what it would take to execute on this?

Also -

Don't forget.

Your kids love you. They look up to you. Look them in the eyes and let them know that they matter to you.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

If I was 20 and just starting again, I don't know where I'd begin. There are so many options today vs 30 years ago.

From organized hustles (Lyft, Uber, Grubhub, TaskRabbit) to self-directed ones (side hustle labor like handyman services, cleaning garbage cans, pulling weeds, etc.) I'd have a hard time choosing WHAT to do.
Exactly where I've been stuck at for 5ish years.

I've done a little bit of everything, but haven't done a lot of anything!

edit: To add value though, the best one I've seen and that really started to make sense as a potential scalable business would be selling at local farmers' markets, craft shows, and vendor fairs!

I met a kid named Matt who was about 23 who had his own clothing brand where he outsourced all of the designs and manufacturing and all he did was hustle at these shows, selling clothes and gear to his perfect niche customer.

He also sold tons of raffle tickets and at the end of the show would give away the prize to whoever's ticket he drew.

Matt was selling tons and tons of stuff. My gross was about $2,000 that weekend and I know he was at least triple that or more with much better margins (his stuff was cheap!)

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
I sell used Shoes and Shoe accessories.

Buy from Goodwill. Clean them. Take photos. Resell on mercari, offerup, letgo, etc...

Stacking money for something larger.

Don't worry. I won't be doing a coaching course for this. Waste of time.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ShamanKing

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Aug 30, 2018
California
I sell used Shoes and Shoe accessories.

Buy from Goodwill. Clean them. Take photos. Resell on mercari, offerup, letgo, etc...

Stacking money for something larger.

Don't worry. I won't be doing a coaching course for this. Waste of time.

I use to look at everyones shoe and then look them up on eBay’s sold listings. If they have 3 + sales per day and are selling everyday, I add it to my notes.

door123

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Apr 4, 2020
West Coast
For those that have a 40-50+ hour a week slowlane, what is your favorite night/weekend hustle to try and get something going?
I wouldn't go for anything organized like Lyft, Uber, Grubhub. Any profit there has already been squeezed out by the Corp. I would do any service where you directly set the price with your customer. So think local services, garage door repair, handyman, electrician, tv mounting installer.

Funny story, when first started my sidehustle, I charged my first client $100/hr. After the job was done, she confessed that my competitor quoted her $60/hr, but she hired me bc my higher hourly rate convinced her I was more experienced. I was definitely not more "experienced" than the other guy as she was my first client in this industry.

If you have no particular skill, then handyman is a perfect one to start in a large city. I recently quit handyman, but was consistently make over $100/hr hanging pictures & installing door handles, ring doorbells. I was just talking with my handyman friend, he told me he was booked out with work for 2 weeks in advance charging $200/hr.

From my experience in the US ... Local services > Uber & Grubhub (or any other contractor app)

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.