The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Whats the point of life?

broswoodwork

Intermediate User of the Flying Guillotine
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
313%
Oct 16, 2015
Ah yes the crusades were truly classy. :p
To be fair, that could fall under the argument advanced by @Kak.

Christianity is perfect; Christians are not.

Sorry If I butchered the paraphrasing.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Every super villain has a very strong personal moral code too.

I'm not saying you're a villain. To be clear. And I have not seen anything that would suggest you are. The similarity however is stark. And important.

But think about that!

Now why is it this way? Because morality is not in reference to a person. Morality is not there for the person. It is there for the society, for the group of people.

Morality is always relative to the group of people. If you zoom out more, morality is always relative to life.

Notice there is no successful long running society that has morality that goes against life.

When your morality is relative to a specific person, then yes there isn't a right answer. Of course that's not really morality at all, it is essentially whims. Feelings without an overarching structure.

You base your decision based on the law, based on the system. The system that the laws are a part of are what enable the Good that we have. If you begin to bend for an individual, the entire system suffers as a whole.

Imagine a tenant is desperate and cannot pay rent. You let them go rent free for one month. Then three months. Then a second tenant has the same problem. Soon you barely break even in your rentals. If the rules are not followed then eventually the system breaks down. If there is to be leniency it should be written into the rules to allow for compassion, if you will, but not unlimited compassion at the expense of the owner(s) of the system.

I'm not sure if you can logically prove absolute morality. It must be understood. Not logically proven.

The mind knows nothing absolutely. Not even that it itself exists.

The mind cannot prove why life is good. It must be understood. Not proven. It is only known through being understood. Not known through logical proof.
You are absolutely right. I evict or must fire an individual for the good of the whole. And a lot of times that really hurts my heart. The push back and knee jerk reaction is from that individual -- who really doesn't understand. And then they spin their story about the event that has only a thread of truth from the actual situation.
I have given a man a notice to move this month. He's in a wheelchair and has no feet because of his diabetes. He thinks that his disability gives him a license to annoy his neighbors and move his friends into my rental unit with him. And he has a huge, unruly, service dog that keeps getting loose. It also barks in the middle of the night and wakes up my other tenants. I've tried talking to him several times. I've talked to his care coordinator and she talked to him. He's willful defiant and there's nothing I can do, but move him out. According to him, the notice to move came out of the blue. He has spun a whole yarn about how I don't care and I'm a mean person. I just dropped this notice on him for no reason. Three of his neighbors have offered to write me a statement if I must take him to court. He must move for the good of the whole neighborhood -- my other tenants. then there's my peace of mine. Obviously, his truth is different from mine or his neighbors.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
I find it interesting that logic can’t prove everything.
/derail

That's because logic / reason aren't the entirety of human experience but a facet of it.

People tend to get upset when they see human behavior not conform to "reason", without considering that people are "unreasonable" often enough that additional models are needed to explain why.

The map is not the territory. Reason is a concept; it only explains so much.

There is also a limit to what we can put into words. There are plenty of things that we can understand completely that we can't put to pen.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
That's because logic / reason aren't the entirety of human experience but a facet of it.

People tend to get upset when they see human behavior not conform to "reason", without considering that people are "unreasonable" often enough that additional models are needed to explain why.

The map is not the territory. Reason is a concept; it only explains so much.

There is also a limit to what we can put into words. There are plenty of things that we can understand completely that we can't put to pen.
What I mean is:

I find it interesting that branches of Maths that have axioms (things that are *defined* to be true), will always have statements in them that cannot be proven to be true or false.

Godel proved using logic that logic couldn’t prove everything in logical systems.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
What I mean is:

I find it interesting that branches of Maths that have axioms (things that are *defined* to be true), will always have statements in them that cannot be proven to be true or false.

Godel proved using logic that logic couldn’t prove everything in logical systems.

Ah. I misunderstood the point that you were making then.

It is a very bizarre notion indeed that logic does not always hold up even in logical systems.

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
404%
Apr 16, 2019
Life is a dance my friend, so dance with her till you drop.

It's infinite. The universe. Me. You. Our species. Consciousness as we know it. Everything. Is just an infinite explosion of anything and nothing. You choose what it means. That's the true beauty, and a most liberating thought, to consider that it doesn't have to be anything. It doesn't have to mean anything at all. How wonderful then, that your inner divine is given a choice, to decide.

In your abundant imagination, the source of which is one with the infinite universe, you have been gifted with the capacity to reason, and to make decisions. I believe that the true meaning of life IS this freedom to choose how to define it all.

No matter how you choose to define it, simply choosing is enough. Anything. It doesn't matter. Just be, and dance with life until your last breath.

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
Ah. I misunderstood the point that you were making then.

It is a very bizarre notion indeed that logic does not always hold up even in logical systems.

Every logical system created ends in absurdity. The best ones account for their absurdity or close the circle of their logic.

Life is a dance my friend, so dance with her till you drop.

It's infinite. The universe. Me. You. Our species. Consciousness as we know it. Everything. Is just an infinite explosion of anything and nothing. You choose what it means. That's the true beauty, and a most liberating thought, to consider that it doesn't have to be anything. It doesn't have to mean anything at all. How wonderful then, that your inner divine is given a choice, to decide.

In your abundant imagination, the source of which is one with the infinite universe, you have been gifted with the capacity to reason, and to make decisions. I believe that the true meaning of life IS this freedom to choose how to define it all.

No matter how you choose to define it, simply choosing is enough. Anything. It doesn't matter. Just be, and dance with life until your last breath.

Choosing meaning is a futile attempt. Whatever meaning that is constructed will eventually be deconstructed by the very constructor.

Meaning exists outside of yourself and is given to you through your work by the others you do work for.

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas

Mr.Business

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Oct 3, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
Money is modern day survival. The passageway from childhood to adulthood is being able to survive on your own. Earning money becomes your purpose when you don't have enough to sustain yourself.

"Money is the only thing that matters because it is the only thing that people count and measure you by"

Eduardo C. Duque

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Sep 22, 2018
Not a business question, so posting in Off topic. But I know this forum is filled with insightful people.

Money is modern day survival. The passageway from childhood to adulthood is being able to survive on your own. Earning money becomes your purpose when you don't have enough to sustain yourself.

What is the point of life when you have enough money to sustain yourself?

The usual reply is "just do what makes you happy"

But what is happiness exactly?

All I understand is our brains have one goal in mind: to reproduce. When we are doing actions that are inline and satisfy that, our brain creates happy chemicals to tell us "Good job keeping doing this!"

So is the point just to follow our egos and primal desires as closely as possible?

I don't mean to ask this to try and sound smart or create some debate or something. Ive genuinely been stuck and lost for the past few years as to what life is all about. Or if it is really nothing with no meaning. We happen to exist up until this point and so you just make what you want of it, but at the barebones its to have the most optimum and prolonged survival.
I recommend you Viktor Frankl's works.

LuckyPup

Opportunity + Preparation = Success
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Aug 2, 2012
Midwest USA
Perhaps this is one reason why yoga instructors are the among least likely people ever to experience spiritual bliss.
Really? I don't doubt you, but can this claim be supported by data? Just curious.

Athena

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Sep 22, 2019
We are spiritual beings experiencing being human. Our purpose on earth is to EVOLVE.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore

Breeze_Interface

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Oct 17, 2019
To respond to the question what's the point of life you may or may not have taken the route of exploring what different religions have to say. This a common thing to do either you go the atheist/agnostic/ finding your own meaning route or the religious route.

If you intended on actually doing serious research on different religions, one that I don't see commonly cited is Islam.

Islam may have a bar rep because of terrorists coverage in the media and the current state of the middle east but I think it would be nice to look at what the religion says exactly.

If I could summarize the main points of this religion it would be this:

Islamic definition of God: Transcendant entity that created this world. God doesn't not ressemble God's creations. Therefore in Islam God's form is unknown. There is no representation of God as being an old men with a beard. You probably noticed that I redundantly used God instead of He/She/It because in Islam God transcends gender (i.e: God is not male, female , an object).

What you're here for as a human: In islam you're in this world to be tested. Both by good things happening to you and bad things. You win the tests by continuing the struggle of being morally good.

What is morality?: Morality is defined by God. You can find what is moral and not and mostly in the Quran. Which I would encourage you to read.

What happen if I pass the test?: You get resurrected and enjoy a place in paradise forever because of the struggling you did on earth to stay on the right path despite the overwhelming adversity. You also get good things happening to you in this world. You attain success both in this world and in the next despite the suffering you might have in this world.

What happen if you don't pass the test?: You will get resurrected and will be tortured forever in hell as a punshiment. There is no sugar coating when it comes to this. You don't pass the test by A.) Denying Islam B.) Worshipping other than God C.) Worshipping your ego and desires and following them without constraint.

The concept of repentence & forgiveness :
In Islam, God is forgiving and merciful that is why that if you sincerely repent and reform yourself from a sin you will not get punished. On the other hand if you are rebellious to God you might not be punished now but your punishment is delayed until your death. Which gives you a change to come back from your rebellion to submission.

The concept of relying on God & asking help:
In islam, there is this concept of asking God to help you pass the test and other challenges in your life. You do the efforts and God provides the results when God see fits. Relying on God to provide for you and asking help takes serious realization that you're imperfect and weak this brings ultimately the concept of submisson to God.

The concept of submission to God: Muslims who have accepted the message submit to what God wants despite their own desires. The excuses of inacting a desire solely because it's natural is not a valid excuses in Islam because that's exactly what you're being tested on. Will you follow your own whims or not? Will you resist? However to most human desires there is a lawful alternative proposed by God.

(i.e: You're allowed to marry and not marrying is not seen as a superiority in faith in Islam. Imams usually marry and have children and wives.)

(i.e.2: For earning a living, commerce is allowed interest is not)

What are the prophets and the Quran for?: The Quran is the guidebook on what to do to win the test. The prophets were sent to deliver the message to humanity through revelation. Jonas, Jesus, Moses, Joseph, Abraham, Ismael, etc... are all accepted prophets in Islam.

Why Islam exists in the first place if it recognizes Jesus?:
In islam Jesus is a prophet and God doesn't have a son. (Islam is pure monotheistic religion) Secondly, Islam is meant as the final religion. The premise is that all the prophets that were send before had their books corrupted with innovations being added after them. God in Islam will take care of protecting the words of the Quran from any innovation later on. The last prophet is Muhammad (p.b.s.l) who was revealed the Quran gradually over 23 years oral transmission. There is an incredibly strong oral tradition in Islam. Recitation is a big part of the faith. Despite the many varying styles in recitation the same words are being pronounced.

(i.e recitation 1 vs recitation 2 vs recitation 3 )

The concept of "God doesn't need you, you need God": It is made very clear that God doesn't need your worshipping so If you decided to not believe it wouldn't reduce God in anyway.

The concept of Leave it or take it: Because of what I just wrote above Islam is a religion where you aren't coerced into believing. You decide to either leave it or take it. If you think it's not the truth than no problem live your life as you see fit but you'll still pay the consequences if the threat of hellfire happened to be true.

If you want to know more about the Islamic religion I would suggest that you read the Quran itself: a translation is not the Qur’an itself, but only an interpretation of it. I've linked to a translation so that english speakers can understand roughly what it says.

Fastlane Liam

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Feb 10, 2018
United Kingdom
"Money is the only thing that matters because it is the only thing that people count and measure you by"
I actually kind of love this because I feel like its true, everyone is judged upon how wealthy they are. Its like a universal measuring stick.

Looked it up, quote is by Warren Buffet

QFP

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Apr 26, 2017
UK
What happen if you don't pass the test?: You will get resurrected and will be tortured forever in hell as a punshiment. There is no sugar coating when it comes to this. You don't pass the test by A.) Denying Islam B.) Worshipping other than God C.) Worshipping your ego and desires and following them without constraint.
Nice.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.