The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What's stopping you?

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
'm struggling to break even with this because FB has so many targeting options, I don't even know where to begin with A/B testing of my target audience. Currently I'm seeing 1.5% of customers added something to their cart, 0.5% reached checkout, and 0.33% purchased

It's really hard to help you when I don't know your offer or anything that's going on, but your numbers are definitely low. You either need to tighten your targeting and/or work on the conversion of your offer (landing page, order forms, etc.). Your landing page click through should be at least 20% - if it's not, your landing page need works. Lastly, you need to shoot for making at least $60 or more PER CUSTOMER.

I have no execution skills. I realized that not so long ago. I'm having trouble to just find a manufacturer to ask if my product can be built and get a few samples to validate my idea.

Also I give up to daily exhaustion everyday when I should push through for at least an hour a night. Feels like I'm pretending to smile and have energy everyday to do my day to day things and right when I go thru my door I just melt on the couch.

I can't make good habits stick.

On the days I can slow down and try to be mindful (days off, weekends, days without husband) I find I'm more productive but sticking to it through the week is a challenge.

You don't have "execution skills" yet, because you need to LEARN to execute. You only learn that by doing. I'm not sure if most people know this on here, but I've failed a TON. Every entrepreneur has failed at something. Fail forward. It's ok. Push yourself out of your comfort zone.

As far as being exhausted every day, that's something only you can work on. Maybe it's sitting your husband down and telling him he may have to be OK with getting less time with you to pursue your goals an dreams. Maybe he can help you do that.

We all have days where we're tired and just crash. That's ok, as long as they aren't all of your days. Good luck - I hope this helps.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

pgtownsyou

Forge Ahead
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Oct 29, 2013
Minnesota
It's really hard to help you when I don't know your offer or anything that's going on, but your numbers are definitely low. You either need to tighten your targeting and/or work on the conversion of your offer (landing page, order forms, etc.). Your landing page click through should be at least 20% - if it's not, your landing page need works. Lastly, you need to shoot for making at least $60 or more PER CUSTOMER.

Right now I'm using my product page as a landing page on my e-commerce store. Would you advise against that? I do have a lot of images and copy on the product pages.

I definitely need to tighten my targeting, I just don't know which direction to tighten it. 95% of my sales right now come from Amazon - there's not a way to get any demographics from those sales is there?

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
Right now I'm using my product page as a landing page on my e-commerce store. Would you advise against that? I do have a lot of images and copy on the product pages.

I definitely need to tighten my targeting, I just don't know which direction to tighten it. 95% of my sales right now come from Amazon - there's not a way to get any demographics from those sales is there?

If you want to start a new thread I can help you critique your page a bit...I don't want to derail the thread here.

If you get creative you can get demographic data from Amazon.

Supa

Came for the $. Stayed for the Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany
Wow, I came into this thread with the thought of posting what's stopping me right now, but all the great posts in here from you @JasonR and all the other great ones helped so much, that the questions in my head were replaced with exclamation points :) thanks and Rep++

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
You don't have "execution skills" yet, because you need to LEARN to execute. You only learn that by doing. I'm not sure if most people know this on here, but I've failed a TON. Every entrepreneur has failed at something. Fail forward. It's ok. Push yourself out of your comfort zone.

As far as being exhausted every day, that's something only you can work on. Maybe it's sitting your husband down and telling him he may have to be OK with getting less time with you to pursue your goals an dreams. Maybe he can help you do that.

We all have days where we're tired and just crash. That's ok, as long as they aren't all of your days. Good luck - I hope this helps.

Thank you Jason :)

#nowhere

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Jan 29, 2016
Germany
Hey dudes,

this is going to be about my first post except the "I read the Millionaire Fastlane "-thread. So far so good.
Situation: College, Master's class, 24 years old, turning 25 next month. (excuse my english, im not native english speaker)

My worries:

- I read about all the rockstar like stories. People goin' from zero to hero within 3-7 years while failing a lot. Will I just be another "failure"?
-I'm already 24 (soon 25). I'm asking if I started too late... If I would turn 24 next month everything would be fine.
-One moment I'm sure I have a good idea and my head starts spinning how it can be executed: supply, freight, selling via Amz, facebook marketing and so on. And then I think: What ....

If it sells zero times? If you run out of supply? If your customers return 50%? If my idea gets copied within a few days? If the freight forwarding through amazon Chn makes my efforts useless? Am I riding a dead horse? Who knows?

-I see so many "empty"/ghost profiles here (bigger share in older posts). Then I'm asking myself, where the hell have the people disappered to?

- Im worrying about the right way/start. I'm doing the Gary Halbert Challenge (even not within 30 days...), then SinisterLex comes around and says: "You don't need to do this to learn to copy". Now I'm doing both and feel like a procrastinator, because I solely "study" copywriting. I copy letters of famous copywriters. I see it as a valuable skill to have, when I'm actually starting out. And I think that both challenges address different goals (Halbert: holistic development , Sinister: Learn to copy and seduce the masses. Sorry for the sloppy words)

- I don't feel like I can do it all alone. I think I need a business partner. My friends are all Slowlaners or even worse..

- Then I think: You actually have good ideas and then come roadblocks where you need to be able to code. I am able to do basics in Java and HTML. That's it.. Never enough to build a full site (I know shopify and others)... ANd if I built it, it looked crappy.

- How to base a brand nowadays? Through the various marketing channels? How to convey the sales from Amz to your own store after a while?

- And then an important question: Am I looking for a job after college (9-5), for getting money to invest in the startup, or do I become a freelancer with my skills acquired until now and the rest of the time I pursue my own business? If I'm forced to get into the Slowlane again one day that would be a big "Job Stopper" if I have not worked on a regular basis after college graduation.... Any experiences here?

Most important:

-where do I begin my journey? eCommerce (is it sustainable?)? Learn to code (Fells like it would take years how to fully learn to code)? Write a book? I'm totally overwhelmed by the abundance the world offers.

I think many things will erase itself through action and setting up a business.

Steps forward since I read the book and joined the forum:

- Process vs. event is understood but not yet executed, since I'm not in the game already (I think I understood this)
- I'm currently enrolled in a Master's program with a big company from USA (in Germany) and can't wait to quit and start business. The 8-5 hinders me. But I'm reading and studying often til night.
-Value vs. money chasing: I've several ideas daily to improve or remodel an existing product the way that value is generated. But some ideas are worthwile to pursue, others are totally crap, if I look at them a few days later. I think that's okay/normal.
- I even had an idea on a product that doesn't exist, but I don't know if it's useful.

-I researched all on the import laws from china, the practical steps for freight forwarding and so on and so forth.
-I'm research on setting up something like an LLC (in Germany it is named otherwise). Will do this soon.
-I plan to start by getting samples. But then how to evolve if people are actually interested in the new product?

Oh that has gotten a bit long. Feel free to answer in fractions :)

Thanks a lot!

Final note... Status: Wantrepreneur

Last edited:

illmasterj

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
253%
Jan 19, 2016
1360m
Inspiring thread.

I have a few slowlane streams already. What is stopping me from starting the business I should be running though?

Lack of knowledge mainly. Comfort too.

How do I create 3d drawings of products I can visualise in my head, but suck at putting down on paper/digital?
How do I get prototypes created from scratch?
How do I find manufacturers I can trust and afford?
Do I need to patent my ideas? Do I need a patent in all markets I plan to sell in?
Do I need to register a brand name trademark in every country I plan to sell in?
How do I create a kickass brand from nothing?

These are the main roadblocks (excuses). Time to stop f*cking around and get some answers.

Late Start

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
Nov 23, 2015
Uniontown, KS
Funny this thread popped up in the main feed when it did. I've been pondering this myself - I've consumed tons of info, made tons of plans, but made no actual action. Is it fear of failure? General overwhelm? I have no idea, but I'm sick of it. Just ordered a small batch of the item I've been planning on reselling for literally over two months now, and will commence my first real foray into ecommerce when it arrives. I also need to stop dicking around with my website, waiting for it to look just right, and just be willing to start small and simple.

Step 1 of my plan is reality as of the end of last week - I've taken a sizable paycut, but my commute is getting drastically reduced starting a week from Monday, and I'll be freeing up a lot of time to focus on taking action on my ideas.

illmasterj

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
253%
Jan 19, 2016
1360m
Inspiring thread.

I have a few slowlane streams already. What is stopping me from starting the business I should be running though?

Lack of knowledge mainly. Comfort too.

How do I create 3d drawings of products I can visualise in my head, but suck at putting down on paper/digital?
Do I need to patent my ideas? Do I need a patent in all markets I plan to sell in?
Do I need to register a brand name trademark in every country I plan to sell in?

These are the main roadblocks (excuses). Time to stop f*cking around and get some answers.

To follow up, here's a perfect example of comfort clouding progress.

I have a contact that has gone through all of the above in his lifetime. He:
  • Started a marketing company to re-brand and sell products manufactured elsewhere.
  • Realised that his components had much room for improvement, so began to develop his own prototypes/drawings and have them manufactured.
  • Had problems with manufacturers cheaping out on materials/QC so purchased his own machinery and now has his own factories and a ton of expertise.
  • No doubt knows a few things about patenting and trademarks too.
I have this knowledge very close to my circle, I just need to get to know him better (cost: time/flights) and think of a way to benefit him (financial cut into the company in exchange for mentoring? Or give his companies a heap of branding/design/manufacturing work?).

Time to get uncomfortable again.

poro78

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Dec 23, 2012
Finland
What's stopping me?
Social anxiety & introvertism, lack of purpose / passion, self-criticism, mysteries of creating value.
I'd like to help people, but I don't feel I have anything to give. I've always been kind of an outsider, so I don't even know what "normal" people usually do or like. I'm soon 38 years old and I still don't know what to do when I grow up.
And if I have some kind of useful information to share, I usually think it's something that everyone already aware of.
That's why I'm not doing anything, except planning and procrastinating and discarding plans without even trying and starting all over again...

Oh, of course there's also this trap made by our Finnish social system - I'm currently on benefits and I'll lose them if I start earning money on my own. There's a huge leap from being able to pay bills and live modestly to being cut off the system. Entrepreneuers are considered as outlaws in our system, huge taxes and no social security means you have to nail it the first time you try or it'll be even worse than being unemployed... Quite a risk for a family man with my limitations.
And that's why I'm trapped to seek slowlane jobs I can handle and trying to figure out something I can do to become my own boss after funding it with the slowlane job.

(Ok, I edited this about seven times and almost couldn't press "post reply" - one fine example of my social anxiety and self-criticism...)

Nubiwan

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Feb 9, 2016
How many among us are tire kickers - either starting out, looking for inspiration, looking for the next trend, looking to learn? I suspect the majority of posters on sites like Fastlane and the Warrior Forum fall into the analysis paralysis category of people.

Be REAL interesting to poll regular posters on this forum as to who exactly has an independent stream of income that is currently ticking over and making money while they sit at home on their a$$ doing nothing.

I am self employed, have my own business, and have a retirement plan. While I was doing all this, I never had time to post with much regularity on any forums like this, so would question anyone that says they are working very hard at what they do, and has time to post on a forum several times daily.

I know this to be the case because I spent several years - whilst working a regular job - simply posting to various forums - looking to learn, motivate myself etc. Wasn't until I actually got off my a$$ and did something about it that I made a dollar. When I did start being "self employed" I never had much time to worry about posting on a forum.

That was about 7 years ago. Well, I'm back. I need to find ideas for another stream(s) of income. I was involved in the IT sector years ago, and there are several ideas kicking around my head at present.

Think my key message is don't over analyze. Go out an do it. At least try it. It worked out for me. Better to have tried and failed etc.

Last edited:

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
How many among us are tire kickers - either starting out, looking for inspiration, looking for the next trend, looking to learn? I suspect the majority of posters on sites like Fastlane and the Warrior Forum fall into the analysis paralysis category of people.

Be REAL interesting to poll regular posters on this forum as to who exactly has an independent stream of income that is currently ticking over and making money while they sit at home on their a$$ doing nothing.

I am self employed, have my own business, and have a retirement plan. While I was doing all this, I never had time to post with much regularity on any forums like this, so would question anyone that says they are working very hard at what they do, and has time to post on a forum several times daily.

I know this to be the case because I spent several years - whilst working a regular job - simply posting to various forums - looking to learn, motivate myself etc. Wasn't until I actually got off my a$$ and did something about it that I made a dollar. When I did start being "self employed" I never had much time to worry about posting on a forum.

That was about 7 years ago. Well, I'm back. I need to find ideas for another stream(s) of income. I was involved in the IT sector years ago, and there are several ideas kicking around my head at present.

Think my key message is don't over analyze. Go out an do it. At least try it. It worked out for me. Better to have tried and failed etc.
Nearly without exception the members with the greatest "reputation" have businesses that enjoy varing degrees of success. I could point to a few that post daily or nearly every day that are in fact millionaires. May I suggest reading more of their posts to get a better understanding of this forum and the community (dare I say family) that has been developing here and at local meetups for over 8 years. The fact that you reference this forum and the warrior forum in the same sentence tells us you really don't know what this place is about.

Have you read the book that was written by the owner of this forum? It would really help you understand what the fastlane is and all the terminology within.

Well, I'm back. I need to find ideas for another stream(s) of income. I was involved in the IT sector years ago, and there are several ideas kicking around my head at present.
If you're just chasing money maybe the warrior forum is better suited for your quest.

While I was doing all this, I never had time to post with much regularity on any forums like this, so would question anyone that says they are working very hard at what they do, and has time to post on a forum several times daily.
So you assume and insult those that make this community better than any other entrepreneurial forum in the world and then ask them for help?

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ

.... yeah, I think you've wandered into the wrong place buddy.

Nubiwan

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Feb 9, 2016
Nearly without exception the members with the greatest "reputation" have businesses that enjoy varing degrees of success. I could point to a few that post daily or nearly every day that are in fact millionaires. May I suggest reading more of their posts to get a better understanding of this forum and the community (dare I say family) that has been developing here and at local meetups for over 8 years. The fact that you reference this forum and the warrior forum in the same sentence tells us you really don't know what this place is about.

Have you read the book that was written by the owner of this forum? It would really help you understand what the fastlane is and all the terminology within.

If you're just chasing money maybe the warrior forum is better suited for your quest.

So you assume and insult those that make this community better than any other entrepreneurial forum in the world and then ask them for help?

First of all, I am new here, so my apologies if my post offended anyone. I did not assume to insult anyone.

Does not alter the fact that new even existing posters might feel a similar sense of apprehension or caution about ideas being expressed and setting them into action.

Would point out that the previous posts before mine all deal with poster apprehension and "anxiety" and a failure or inability to act.

Maybe I have come to the wrong place. Will read a few more threads and try get a feel for the forum.

If a forum's flagship is a book called The Millionaire Fastlane , then you could excuse a few people for being just a little apprehensive.

Last edited:

E-Sharp

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jun 9, 2015
If a forum's flagship is a book called The Millionaire Fastlane , then you could excuse a few people for being just a little apprehensive.

You should read the book. It will clear up some misconceptions... like people raking in the dough sitting on their asses doing nothing :)

Nubiwan

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Feb 9, 2016
You should read the book. It will clear up some misconceptions... like people raking in the dough sitting on their asses doing nothing :)
Well, to be honest, I am one of those people who sits on his a$$, so how can I offend myself. My RE business (slowlane as it is) provides me a steady income. It will also provide me a retirement fund, since I have no regular 9-5 pension contribution. My post was directed at myself as well as anyone else fortunate enough to be able to "sit on their a$$". There was no derogatory intent. I work hard to get to the place I am now, and simply hoping this forum can show me a few, less traditional ways, to expand my income stream. Pretty sure most people are here for similar reasons. I picked up the book tonight. Looking forward to the read.

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
The #1 reason I'm not doing anything at the moment: Environmental pressures

Mainly, I'm not comfortable where I'm at. I live with a major pain, who is manipulating me into working a "Full-time job" on fear of never talking to this part of my family again.

I got an overnight retail job, where it's pretty fast paced physical labor. My body isn't taking the pain and fatigue to well and I'm crunching on ibuprofen like they're M&M's (1200 mg in 4-5 hours probably wasn't a good idea) Here's to day 4 tomorrow night.

For him real employee fashion, if I don't work for a major company for 40 hours a week, I'm a lazy a**hole. Even if I get rent paid. I had 3 months of rent saved up. Until I spent money on gas going to interviews and clothes for the job and the interviews.
I'm down to one month left. If I'm lucky.

I feel like I just need to get away from people who don't support my dreams, or better yet manipulate me into doing stuff that clearly doesn't benefit me.
It's scary that when someone threatening to taking away a small bit of security it can make a person do things that don't make sense.

Action I'm going to take:
I'm going to buy a cheap MacBook off of eBay at some point this week, when I have a better bank balance. From there it's on to teaching myself (via the internets) iOS development.

Even if I don't make a good app for the market, I still learn a skill I can charge for. I'm still learning Android for that reason too.

Final thoughts:
I'm probably not going to be living here much longer. The manipulation got under my skin this time and I've had more than enough.
I can't stand arguing over senseless drivel.
I can't stand the "we just got back from vacation but we don't have enough to pay these bills".
I can't stand the "put it on the credit card" mentality - that the kids(who are like my siblings) are being taught.

Once there is enough pain, I guess it's time to do something about it eh?

Wisith

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Aug 29, 2015
What is stopping you, right now, from starting your business?

What is stopping you from making your first sale?

What is stopping you from making the leap?

If you've already started your business, what's stopping you from quitting your job?

What is stopping from doubling your revenues and profits?

I want to know the answers. We can help you. Go.
First several sales are already made. I am so HYPED. And this is just based from the samples I have shown pictures my friends to. Production is to start next week.

I'm 30 years old now and I feel the pressure is definitely on. I'm recently single and spending all of my free time on this. Alas, I still work the corporate life just to cover bills. Week days are like this: wake up at 4:30AM, go out for a 3 mile run, breakfast, then work. Come home at 5PM, hit the gym, dinner, and spend time to work on my business until 10PM or so. I tie physical and mental health together so no way I can let myself go physically on this journey.

I spent 10 years in school post high school chasing 2 master's degrees. It was cool to say I hold dual master's at the age of 28 or so, but didn't do much for me in terms of making more money or climbing up the corporate ladder. I was always afraid...afraid of failing. When I was at work, I was getting $x,xxx every two weeks. I was happy where I was. I was happy to have the spending power to shop for new clothes and eat out with friends.

I always wanted to start a business, but never knew when or how. That was the sole reason I went to get an MBA, which didn't do much for me admittedly. We just did a lot of case studies. The friends I kept in touch with from the program still work for someone else.

I was/am always a fan of reading and would read entrepreneurship books routinely. I knew something was missing until I found MJ's book. I couldn't have found it at a better time. At that point, I hated my (then) new job. I got paid more, but was working long hours. I knew then trading time for money, shot for shot, wasn't going to work out.

I read a lot of books, and MJ's is still my favorite one. I was able to relate everything. The companies I work/worked for would do all the same thing...get their financial advisors to come speak to us annually on how to reach 'financial freedom' when we are 65. Don't get Starbucks everyday, skip a vacation here and there, save for the later stage in time. I live in Los Angeles..I saw other people my age who were living the life I wanted...driving exotic cars and taking trips when they wanted to. I simply refuse that I couldn't do the same.

I got on this forum and made so many awesome friends who are supportive of my idea, and I get inspired by theirs as well. This is probably the one of the biggest pros since most of my regular friends think I'm crazy for not looking for a better paying job like they are once in a while.

My whole life flipped around in the last year or so.

Sven

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jul 17, 2015
It has been a while since I visited this forum. In the mean time I've been working hard trying new business ideas. Today I came back to the forum because I felt being stuck... And then I saw this topic was on top of the list, a miracle!

My goal is to have a successful business within a few years, past year I've been trying many different business ideas. Without any success. Currently I'm also busy graduating and I fear that if my ideas will not work out within a few months, I have to walk the slowlane for a long time... I fear that when I get job, I won't have the time for starting a business anymore. My goal would be further out of reach than ever before...! I would probably get a job paying me fair money and giving my some sattisfaction, but it is NOT my goal.

So, currently I've earned ZERO money on my ideas. I think for the following reasons:
- Lack of a good business model with some ideas
- No starting capital
- So many ideas... But never completing one
- Focussing on 2 things at once: graduating and creating a business

What I need to do to achieve my goal:
- Earn at least 1000/month starting in 2 months so I can pay my rent and buy some food :)
- Having a first sale
- Focus on 1 idea

What can I do? What am I doing wrong? I hope you have any suggestions and can help me get out of this stuck situation!

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
My worries:

- I read about all the rockstar like stories. People goin' from zero to hero within 3-7 years while failing a lot. Will I just be another "failure"?
-I'm already 24 (soon 25). I'm asking if I started too late... If I would turn 24 next month everything would be fine.
-One moment I'm sure I have a good idea and my head starts spinning how it can be executed: supply, freight, selling via Amz, facebook marketing and so on. And then I think: What ....

I read your entire post - what jumps out to me is that your are in analysis paralysis. You are researching and over analyzing that prevents you from jumping in and doing something.

Start actually doing something THIS WEEK. Even if you fail. Expect to fail. You will learn more from a single failure then reading 100 articles or forum posts.

Want to do ecommerce? Choose a product, import it, and sell it. You have many, many years to succeed. Failure is part of the process. Don't you think you should start failing sooner than later?

These are all things that stop MOST people. Stop worrying about them, and start tackling them one by one.

Check out the infamous Paint Brush Cover thread @Likwid24 posted. He outlines the entire PROCESS from going from $0, to Shark Tank, to millions in sales. He dove head first and tackled all of the issues listed, one by one. More importantly, he chose to deal with those issues instead of "researching" and over analyzing before he started.

Funny this thread popped up in the main feed when it did. I've been pondering this myself - I've consumed tons of info, made tons of plans, but made no actual action. Is it fear of failure? General overwhelm? I have no idea, but I'm sick of it. Just ordered a small batch of the item I've been planning on reselling for literally over two months now, and will commence my first real foray into ecommerce when it arrives. I also need to stop dicking around with my website, waiting for it to look just right, and just be willing to start small and simple.

Step 1 of my plan is reality as of the end of last week - I've taken a sizable paycut, but my commute is getting drastically reduced starting a week from Monday, and I'll be freeing up a lot of time to focus on taking action on my ideas.

You're on the right track. You're likely afraid to fail. You are still in "wait" mode - not sure about what you're doing. I can see it in your language.

Instead of saying "I've been planning on Reselling" start saying "I AM selling XYZ." Instead of saying "I need to stop dicking around with my website," tell yourself "I sell XYZ on my website right NOW." It's a subtle difference, but it will change your internal thoughts and beliefs.

What's stopping me?
Social anxiety & introvertism, lack of purpose / passion, self-criticism, mysteries of creating value.
I'd like to help people, but I don't feel I have anything to give. I've always been kind of an outsider, so I don't even know what "normal" people usually do or like. I'm soon 38 years old and I still don't know what to do when I grow up.

You can't help others until you help yourself first. As for your living situation, have you considered moving somewhere that will be more beneficial to your goals? Sounds like that may be the spark you need...

Well, I'm back. I need to find ideas for another stream(s) of income. I was involved in the IT sector years ago, and there are several ideas kicking around my head at present.

There are many regular time posters here that are multi millionaires, and have income "ticking over" as you describe. Some of the smartest people I know find a way to make very substantial incomes and also create tie for themselves. Don't fool yourself into thinking highly successful people can't make time to post on a forum.

What happened? What are you looking for on here? What happened to your business? Can you share that would us? It may be a very good lesson to those who are reading.

Mainly, I'm not comfortable where I'm at. I live with a major pain, who is manipulating me into working a "Full-time job" on fear of never talking to this part of my family again.

Remove yourself from the situation. Move. Move across the country. Move to ANOTHER country. Do whatever it takes to get out of that situation.

A funny thing happens when you push past your comfort zone and completely change your surroundings. Every time I've done this, I've become more successful. Look at MJ, @biophase @AndrewNC @TheTruth @K.Y. @AllenCrawley - and many others I'm surely missing.

I got on this forum and made so many awesome friends who are supportive of my idea, and I get inspired by theirs as well. This is probably the one of the biggest pros since most of my regular friends think I'm crazy for not looking for a better paying job like they are once in a while.

You're on the right track. My circle of close friends is 100% different than they were 3 years ago. The forum was a catalyst for the change - mostly the first Fastlane Summit / B&P I've attended. We're all pulling for you.

I'm 31. I started this journey at 25 and had my first real success at 28. You're always going to wish you started younger. But guess what...if you dont' start NOW, that time is going to pass anyway.

So, currently I've earned ZERO money on my ideas. I think for the following reasons:
- Lack of a good business model with some ideas
- No starting capital
- So many ideas... But never completing one
- Focussing on 2 things at once: graduating and creating a business

What I need to do to achieve my goal:
- Earn at least 1000/month starting in 2 months so I can pay my rent and buy some food :)
- Having a first sale
- Focus on 1 idea

What can I do? What am I doing wrong? I hope you have any suggestions and can help me get out of this stuck situation!

You're not stuck - you're just in the starting position. Let's see if I can help.

First, focus on Graduating. You've set yourself on that path, and it will do you little good to split your focus now. In your spare time read everything you can about entrepreneurship and marketing (heavy emphasis on the marketing after books like The Millionaire Fastlane ).

Second, start listening around you. Start listening to people's complaints, what people want, what people are buying.

Don't become obsessed with trying to come up with some new invention or new service no one has heard of. Start looking at MARKETs. Start thinking of products, ideas and services that are a NEED in the market place.

When you graduate, if you can't afford to put food on the table, get a JOB if you have to. If you have a marketable skill or service, then freelance. Don't freeload with your parents - this will just delay your growth.

You can do it. We are living proof that the Fastlane path is very real and attainable.

Jonathan Boyd

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Nov 19, 2015
What is stopping you, right now, from starting your business?

What is stopping you from making your first sale?

What is stopping you from making the leap?

If you've already started your business, what's stopping you from quitting your job?

What is stopping from doubling your revenues and profits?

I want to know the answers. We can help you. Go.

@JasonR I have much gratitude and respect for you for posting this thread and taking the time to sincerely listen and help everyone here. Thank you.

I started my first business teaching guitar about a year ago and managed to reach high 5 figures while teaching ~45 hrs/month. That was until...

Sometime around October 2015 I got my hands on The Millionaire Fastlane , and my drive and focus completely shifted.

I thought "If THIS info is out there, what ELSE is out there that don't I know?". I saw my business as a slowlane (unless duplicated - no thanks :) ) and began my search for a "fastlane" that wasn't dependent on my time.

From then until now, almost all I've done is devour books and courses and threads in this forum (thinking I was getting somewhere) while running my business in the least time possible. Now, I think I'm discovering that I've been stuck in the learning loop (for far too long), and fear and indecision has kept me there. It's amazing how much you think you're learning until you go outside and realize you know NOTHING.

I find myself visualizing and strategizing 24/7 about how each path could be accomplished on a big level only to periodically snap out of my daydream and realize I haven't actually DONE anything yet. It's exhausting!

One week I'll be thinking "blog and info products", and another I'll be on "ecommerce" and yet another on "digital marketing" or even "real estate investing". I also think about trying to match a business with my temperament - I'm somewhat introverted, so maybe I shouldn't start another service business where I have to engage with people all day (totally draining) and go out and sell in person - but then again I think "Maybe I just need to suck it up" and do it anyway.

What's stopping me? I don't know what the f#ck I'm selling, where to sell it, and who to sell it to. I can't STAND not pushing myself to the limit, and I can't stand wasting time, yet I feel like I do it every day! :wtf:

WarWizard

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Sep 22, 2014
Maitland, Australia
@JasonR I have much gratitude and respect for you for posting this thread and taking the time to sincerely listen and help everyone here. Thank you.

I started my first business teaching guitar about a year ago and managed to reach high 5 figures while teaching ~45 hrs/month. That was until...

Sometime around October 2015 I got my hands on The Millionaire Fastlane , and my drive and focus completely shifted.

I thought "If THIS info is out there, what ELSE is out there that don't I know?". I saw my business as a slowlane (unless duplicated - no thanks :) ) and began my search for a "fastlane" that wasn't dependent on my time.

From then until now, almost all I've done is devour books and courses and threads in this forum (thinking I was getting somewhere) while running my business in the least time possible. Now, I think I'm discovering that I've been stuck in the learning loop (for far too long), and fear and indecision has kept me there. It's amazing how much you think you're learning until you go outside and realize you know NOTHING.

I find myself visualizing and strategizing 24/7 about how each path could be accomplished on a big level only to periodically snap out of my daydream and realize I haven't actually DONE anything yet. It's exhausting!

One week I'll be thinking "blog and info products", and another I'll be on "ecommerce" and yet another on "digital marketing" or even "real estate investing". I also think about trying to match a business with my temperament - I'm somewhat introverted, so maybe I shouldn't start another service business where I have to engage with people all day (totally draining) and go out and sell in person - but then again I think "Maybe I just need to suck it up" and do it anyway.

What's stopping me? I don't know what the f#ck I'm selling, where to sell it, and who to sell it to. I can't STAND not pushing myself to the limit, and I can't stand wasting time, yet I feel like I do it every day! :wtf:

Why not bring your guitar teaching online?

One of the earliest digital products I ever purchased was Jamorama (i believe this was 2002/3) which I believe is still being sold.

Create your twist with the unique way you play/teach the guitar and take it online with video courses in the back end.

Once this brings in some cash and supports your lifestyle without having to do 45 hr weeks, you can look at the next thing you want to do if you don't want to continue to grow the online guitar training business.

With guitar, just do videos of songs at various levels in one or more genre and lead them all back to a "free video on the biggest mistake guitarists make when playing solos' or something like that that you can solve, based on questions your students have asked you so far. To people who like that promote a full video course (or a beginner, intermediate and an advanced courses).

I can empathise with you on the strategizing and dreaming, as I spent a very long time doing that.

One of the tools that have helped me get a grip on reality and slowly make progress was Jason Brown @eliquid's post on his blog that I've mentioned in another thread - http://leanvertising.com/how-to-accomplish-your-dream-life-part-1

All the best.

If you need a full end to end book on starting and growing an online business (with funnels ideas, sales scripts, VSL scripts etc) I recommend DotCom Secrets book by Russell Brunson, for the Mindset, none better than The Millionaire Fastlane (I listen to the audible version at least once a quarter, if not more).

PS. here was my longer and older post -> https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...-probationary-period.62293/page-2#post-502698

Jonathan Boyd

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Nov 19, 2015
Why not bring your guitar teaching online?

One of the earliest digital products I ever purchased was Jamorama (i believe this was 2002/3) which I believe is still being sold.

Create your twist with the unique way you play/teach the guitar and take it online with video courses in the back end.

Once this brings in some cash and supports your lifestyle without having to do 45 hr weeks, you can look at the next thing you want to do if you don't want to continue to grow the online guitar training business.

With guitar, just do videos of songs at various levels in one or more genre and lead them all back to a "free video on the biggest mistake guitarists make when playing solos' or something like that that you can solve, based on questions your students have asked you so far. To people who like that promote a full video course (or a beginner, intermediate and an advanced courses).

I can empathise with you on the strategizing and dreaming, as I spent a very long time doing that.

One of the tools that have helped me get a grip on reality and slowly make progress was Jason Brown @eliquid's post on his blog that I've mentioned in another thread - http://leanvertising.com/how-to-accomplish-your-dream-life-part-1

All the best.

If you need a full end to end book on starting and growing an online business (with funnels ideas, sales scripts, VSL scripts etc) I recommend DotCom Secrets book by Russell Brunson, for the Mindset, none better than The Millionaire Fastlane (I listen to the audible version at least once a quarter, if not more).

PS. here was my longer and older post -> https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...-probationary-period.62293/page-2#post-502698

Hey @WarWizard thanks for your help and for the suggestions. I've decided not to pursue the online guitar teaching gig for now, but rather a different type of online business - thanks to @AndrewNC I've found a new direction (anyone looking for clarity may want to hit him up; thanks Andrew!). I'll definitely check out the book you recommended.

What are you currently struggling with @WarWizard?

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
UPDATE:

I decided to go ahead and put more time into the freelance work I was doing... by hiring out 80% of the job functions (including nearly 100% of the delivered products).

I chose this route because (1) it was already making me some money and (2) growing it will allow me to spend time on other things later on. It may prove to be a time suck; however, this is mainly in the interest of having income now in order to pay bills and live.

As it grows, though, I may decide to leave it be when it gets to the point where it takes more effort to sustain getting more leads.

I closed more deals in May than I did in the previous 4 months; however it seems that this is the result of me having more time freed up after finishing school. This may prove to be problematic.

Also, a lot of my friends heard about what I'm doing and now they want to do it too. F*cking figures.

WinTheDay

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Oct 20, 2015
USA
You're not stuck - you're just in the starting position. Let's see if I can help.

First, focus on Graduating. You've set yourself on that path, and it will do you little good to split your focus now. In your spare time read everything you can about entrepreneurship and marketing (heavy emphasis on the marketing after books like The Millionaire Fastlane ).

Second, start listening around you. Start listening to people's complaints, what people want, what people are buying.

Don't become obsessed with trying to come up with some new invention or new service no one has heard of. Start looking at MARKETs. Start thinking of products, ideas and services that are a NEED in the market place.

You can do it. We are living proof that the Fastlane path is very real and attainable.

This spoke volumes to me since I'm at the beginning of my journey as well . Like you said the proof is here that it is all possible if you put the work in. I'm thankful I found your thread and read through it all up to this post I'm quoting .

I now know I don't need to keep searching for that "one" post that's going to instantly cause me to get started because I'm never going to find it ..only I can take action and start a business. Thank you very much . This forum will be a lot more useful once I get started , for now I'm going to focus on what I've already learned and put it to action somehow .

Like a good friend of on this forum recently told me . 4 months of doing something and failing is worth a lot more than 2 years of researching .. Or something in that area .
Thanks for this! Remain blessed . :)

InspireHD

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Dec 9, 2014
For me, it has been a bunch of reasons. Lack of commitment, not sure what I can do, don't really believe in myself, a major lack of energy, and procrastination.

I have a very good paying job for what I do, but it leaves me mentally drained. I get a lot of time off, but those days are spent being a big, lazy bum because I'm so drained that I just want to turn my brain off. By the time I have to go back to work, I feel so unproductive that I just wasted a couple days. I run in that cycle day after day, week after week. Before I know it, months have gone by and I have nothing to show for it.

I'll sit here and read all day or distract myself (procrastination), but it doesn't get me anywhere. I'll read book after book, but yet I take no action.

Several years ago I had a website that generated about $.20 total from ad revenue. I ended up letting it expire because I lost interest in it.

I would love to be the guy who has a website generating thousands of dollars a month, but I don't believe that I'll be able to do that. I don't even know where to start. It would be great to have a mentor who can guide me and show me what is possible, but I know deep down I don't deserve one.

I know I have to put the books down and commit to something. It has just been hard to even get started. Even thinking about posting this, I put it off for over a week because I knew I'd have to face the reality that I am just letting myself down. I have wanted to start a business for many, many years now. I want to have that life that all of the other guys are having. I want to create something valuable in the world. I know time is short, yet here I sit doing nothing except dreaming about it.

limitless_c

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
248%
Apr 29, 2016
Chile
I would love to be the guy who has a website generating thousands of dollars a month, but I don't believe that I'll be able to do that.

You joined the forum 2 years ago, have you read the mindset and motivational section of this forum?

InspireHD

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Dec 9, 2014
You joined the forum 2 years ago, have you read the mindset and motivational section of this forum?

I have read the book. In fact, I just started reading it again. I forget how I found this site, but it has been an amazing resource. I put it off to the side for awhile. I've mainly focused on investing as that is what I enjoy doing, but I know I haven't been focused enough on it to make it worth my time. I've been moving toward more passive investments.

I haven't gotten too deep into the motivational section. I'll definitely do that. I've been lurking in the background for a couple weeks now, but don't say much because I don't feel like I have a lot to add at this point.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.