The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What would you tell your 18 or 25 year old self?

H. Palmer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Aug 12, 2011
Fastlane Metro
Sleep better.
Screw so called friends.
Don´t overrate academic knowledge.
Get a mentor.
Believe in yourself.
Loosen up, go on vacation and get laid more often.

Last edited:

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
Refuse to judge yourself for the time already wasted, that was in ignorance, now you know, no excuses from now on.

Wow.Really hit home.

You only begin to see opportunities if you are out there doing something. Get in the world, even if it means getting some side gigs instead of sitting at home. More world you know = more opportunities.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
1. Read more.
2. Ignore "stuff". Perfection is when there is nothing more to take away, NOT when there is no more to add.
3. Do not engage in consumer debt. At All. Ever.
4. Take action NOW. Life is going to get in the way very soon.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Just say "NO" to Amway. Would have saved hundreds and 6 months of my life. :bored: (Actually I was 21, not 25, but you know what I mean.)

ignore Robert Himler. save 45 bux.

:inpain:

Lauryn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Jul 11, 2013
Dallas, TX
You're making the right decision. It's now or never - and it's not so bad on the other side.

Besides, nobody knows or understands you better than YOU do - so screw their thoughts on your situation.

{25 was the age at which everything I thought I had - especially my marriage - crumbled and went to hell. I knew it was time to move on and fought with myself about how much to listen to everyone else about my decision. I was deeply depressed. Suicidal. Etc.}

I'm about to be 29... so clearly whatever I thought then ended up saving my life.

GravyBoat

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Nov 25, 2013
San Diego
Just say "NO" to Amway.

ignore Robert Himler. save 45 bux.

Instead of getting screwed by both of these (as I was close), I did enough research before hand and saved myself the trouble. I thought Amway was game-over when I found it, and that's been around for a long time! Glad I didn't buy into it. I'm only 18 so I still got a few more years to go ;)

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
I actually fell for Himler's trap before everyone outed him. Before there was any real background data on him, that all came later on. Thought he was the real deal, someone I could learn from. Turned out to be just a clown.

live and learn i guess

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
This thread is GOLD for advice.

Here's the line that made me decide to drop out of college:
Steve Jobs said:
You can’t connect the dots looking forward; you can only connect them looking backwards. So you have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in your future. You have to trust in something – your gut, destiny, life, karma, whatever. Because believing that the dots will connect down the road will give you the confidence to follow your heart even when it leads you off the well worn path; and that will make all the difference.

(mine as well throw in the full speech)

Last edited:

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
I'm a little younger than 25 but here goes anyways. :wacky:

1. Making money has absolutely nothing to do with money. Solve problems and create value. Be ambitious in terms of value creation and knowledge.

2. Don't be limited by your past. Your vision of the future is the best indicator for success contrary to popular belief that the past is the best indicator of future success.

3. Live according to my own expectations. Never let others be the voice in your head that tells you what is possible for you.

4. Fear is sign that you need to wake up and open your eyes, not cower in the corner and hide.

5. It's okay to fail. Sometimes failure is more powerful than success.

6. Think. Be a critical thinker. Be independent. When you turn up internal noise, external noise goes down.

7. Sometimes that voice in our head that is running 24/7 that is constantly telling us what we are and what we can do is NOT OURS. Sometimes it was passively adopted by other people and the environment. Remove it and be your own voice and you will find that it is never negative. Negative thoughts and feelings can only come from external sources.

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas
Never start offering to buy your friends meals take them on trips cause they cannot afford it and you dont want to seem like a jerk.. Make friends who can.

Knowing that would of saved me a few 100 grand from 20-25.

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
I actually fell for Himler's trap before everyone outed him. Before there was any real background data on him, that all came later on. Thought he was the real deal, someone I could learn from. Turned out to be just a clown.

live and learn i guess

I remember watching videos of his TT Gallardo (I think this was before he launched his "book"). The comments would be very... mixed haha.

Always figured he had to be a scam. When they "outed" him did they find out how he got ahold of limited production Murcielagos and cars like that?

GravyBoat

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Nov 25, 2013
San Diego
Here's the line that made me decide to drop out of college:
Dude I just watched that last night. Such a good speech. It's funny how you can tell he didn't really agree with going to college (and never did himself), yet he was speaking at Harvard to the graduates...

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
Never start offering to buy your friends meals take them on trips cause they cannot afford it and you dont want to seem like a jerk.. Make friends who can.

Knowing that would of saved me a few 100 grand from 20-25.

That's all you got old man? :D

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
I remember watching videos of his TT Gallardo (I think this was before he launched his "book"). The comments would be very... mixed haha.

Always figured he had to be a scam. When they "outed" him did they find out how he got ahold of limited production Murcielagos and cars like that?

His father owns a massive car dealership in Pensylvania. sure that has something to do with it.

Back to topic thiugh.

D

DeletedUser2

stop being afraid.
most of your fears are foundless
take more chances.

ignore amway (ya I did that when I was 20 also) go faster. don't "KILL DAYS" F*cking around

if you can do it today get it done.

ignore 99% of people.

be nice to people. they just dont know.

always take the high road, even when its easier not to.

Z

D

DeletedUser394

To myself in my 20's: There is essentially no wisdom in 'the crowd'. The standardized formula employed by people of slightly-above-average-intelligence to get marginally ahead in the world of working for other people is not for everyone and its REALLY not for you. If your objective in life is to be among the dbags who argue over the critical importance of a pressed shirt then by all means, go get that government or cubicle job, start filling out those TPS reports and hope one day you'll get 'noticed'.

Be brave and have confidence in your own abilities to do your own thing, to start your own business, to create value, to service legitimate needs and in turn, to make enough money so that money doesn't matter.

Make decisions in life that liberate you, not obligate you.
I've seen men enslave themselves to car payments. It's pathetic.

Stollen from: http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/3...yr-old-self-1373143/index36.html#post41126869

Era

Light Warrior
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Oct 20, 2012
You already have everything you've always wanted
Live in the moment
Imperfection is okay.
The best thing you've ever did was all those risks you took.
Become very comfortable with being uncomfortable.
There is no need to second guess.
When there is no road, make one.

maverick

Aspice, officio fungeris sine spe honoris ampliori
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Oct 26, 2012
You create your own reality.

Only you are responsible for creating your own path, your own happiness, your own life. Never blame this on circumstances or other people. Never be the victim.

Einstein said it well:
If you want to live a happy life, tie it to a goal, not to people or things

Last edited:

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Live life with zest.
Do what you enjoy.
You create your life and your reality. Be happy with it.
Listen to your instincts.
Nobody else is the cause of your problems.
Experience all that you want from life.

Genium

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Jan 6, 2013
This is all great advice! I feel that I have come a long way in life, in general in the past year but there is always so much to improve upon.

Some advice I try to always remember: Be hungry for more, but happy with what you have, or you'll never be happy. Take time to enjoy the small things in life, because they really do matter. Work smarter, not harder.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.