The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What would you do today with $100k or £100k

Threads with an onging chat or conversation

Darren.P.R

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Oct 21, 2018
Berkshire UK
Whatever your situation right now imagine you have 100k dollars or Pounds uk between you and an empty bank account. You earned the money so you have some attachment to it. How would you put this money to work ? How would you attempt to 10 x this pot ?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jobless

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jun 8, 2017
EU
Capital is not my main form of leverage (and is hard to perform with just 100K), so I'd leave most in the bank, knowing I have living expenses covered for a while.

To 10x would depend on time frame. The more patience, the less risk is required.

If I was impatient, I'd jump on a fashionable trend (sustainability, equality, cryptocurrencies, electrical vehicles etc.), with a 'credible' business partner or two, and spend the 100K (and more through credit), promoting the blueprint to some disruptive 'P2P Service' / 'App' / 'Agency' / 'SaaS'. I'd spend more time creating hype, taking pre-orders, crowdfunding, pitching investors than building the customer solution. Before the lack of traction becomes apparent, I'd probably 10x the money and more, but the near inevitability of collapse means I'd have to withdraw myself from the sinking ship and save the remainder of my reputation with a scapegoat.

I am patient and more ethical than that, but if I had a gun to my head and little time to do it, yes.

ryanbleau

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jun 22, 2014
Scottsdale , Az
Extra 100k? Lease on a shop and purchase of a couple large pieces of woodworking equipment. 6x12 cnc router, wide belt sander/planer, cabinet saw, and a bunch of other fun tools i can let people rent by the hour. Bring on a social media manager to create content and build a following to build the brand.

AppMan

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
May 25, 2019
Whatever your situation right now imagine you have 100k dollars or Pounds uk between you and an empty bank account. You earned the money so you have some attachment to it. How would you put this money to work ? How would you attempt to 10 x this pot ?
100k is enough to start a business that cost around 250K (small fast food example ) or developer small SaaS solution with clear defined functionality .
Less risky would be buying a house for 300K and rent it

nothingness

I make great coffee
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Mar 3, 2021
UK
Totally depends on position and skillset. What's your position in life and what's your skillset? Or do you mean us specifically?

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 11, 2018
You didn't specify what's your current skillset. Are you good at trading? Do you have any fastlane skill (coding, etc.)? Do you know about real estate? I'd invest in something that I know about, as that typically has a higher chance of success.

p0stscript

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Feb 7, 2018
UK
Totally depends on position and skillset. What's your position in life and what's your skillset? Or do you mean us specifically?
Good point, taking it to mean me specifically I'd give the £100K to my son.

Darren.P.R

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Oct 21, 2018
Berkshire UK
You didn't specify what's your current skillset. Are you good at trading? Do you have any fastlane skill (coding, etc.)? Do you know about real estate? I'd invest in something that I know about, as that typically has a higher chance of success.
It's just a fun open ended question. There is no right or wrong answer as everyone will have a different idea.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
Just you, what would you do if this was sitting on your desk right now etc
You mean cash? On my desk?
I would put it somewhere safer than my desk, like a safe. Or a bank. Or buy crypto. Or NFTs.

I don’t get this game.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

It depends... Do you already have a business? Or are you barely making more money now and this is all you have? If the latter, I would put all my effort into either...

1. Investing conservatively while continuing to stack more cash OR
2. Finding a deal

On number 2, finding a deal on an existing business, some real estate, or otherwise would be a pretty good option and can take up a lot of time. Investing conservatively means you aren't going to double or triple your 100k any time soon, but you also aren't going to lose it.

Find the deal -> grow your wealth. Build your equation, and work it to death.

And, of course, this post is the best answer:

G

Guest-5ty5s4

It depends... Do you already have a business? Or are you barely making more money now and this is all you have? If the latter, I would put all my effort into either...

1. Investing conservatively while continuing to stack more cash OR
2. Finding a deal

On number 2, finding a deal on an existing business, some real estate, or otherwise would be a pretty good option and can take up a lot of time. Investing conservatively means you aren't going to double or triple your 100k any time soon, but you also aren't going to lose it.

Find the deal -> grow your wealth. Build your equation, and work it to death.

And, of course, this post is the best answer:

Remember, even Tesla was not started by Elon Musk... He bought it from the first guy, and the rest is history.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Forget you have it and move forward.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Remember, even Tesla was not started by Elon Musk... He bought it from the first guy, and the rest is history.
That's what I was thinking.

Buy a business.

Grow it.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
631%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Easy peasy japaneasy

100k in my bank account tomorrow?

I'm buying 3 pickup trucks for our service business. Financing if possible.

10k extra towards ads this spring

Some money towards savings, the rest towards a dirtbike, car parts, and a jet ski for our lakehouse.

We would have 6 crews working this year since we already have 3 trucks. Making 72k profit each. 432k profit this year. Should have even more than 100 left over to add more crews the year after. Should be at 10 crews and make 720k profit the next year. So to 10x it and make a mil....should only take a few years, no more than 4...I'd bet my left nut on it.

p0stscript

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Feb 7, 2018
UK
It's just a fun open ended question. There is no right or wrong answer as everyone will have a different idea.
What would you do Darren, out of interest? (If I've missed your answer already I apologise)

Jalexo

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jan 10, 2022
Leave my country. Perhaps go to Poland or Bulgaria. I'm tired of all the craziness here. I would invest some money in cryptocurrencies I see potential. Invest another part in building my business.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Easy peasy japaneasy

100k in my bank account tomorrow?

I'm buying 3 pickup trucks for our service business. Financing if possible.

10k extra towards ads this spring

Some money towards savings, the rest towards a dirtbike, car parts, and a jet ski for our lakehouse.

We would have 6 crews working this year since we already have 3 trucks. Making 72k profit each. 432k profit this year. Should have even more than 100 left over to add more crews the year after. Should be at 10 crews and make 720k profit the next year. So to 10x it and make a mil....should only take a few years, no more than 4...I'd bet my left nut on it.
this is the best answer.

nothingness

I make great coffee
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Mar 3, 2021
UK
If I someone gave me £100k right now I would buy 3 passports / visas to obscure countries so next time we end up in a manipulated lockdown, I could leave and enter the UK at will. Something I'm going to do anyway, but probably not 3 of them.

Darren.P.R

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Oct 21, 2018
Berkshire UK
What would you do Darren, out of interest? (If I've missed your answer already I apologise)
I have no idea, I have some money not as much as 100k. It really bothers me having it sat in the bank. I thought I would ask and see if this conversation sparked anything for me.

natyms

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jan 10, 2018
Munich
Ok, but it makes no money sat in the bank. How can I make it work for me?
Just put it in an investment fund. It will sit in a bank, but it will still make you money.
And if you are comfortable with risk, open a business that doesn't neet stock. A dating app, a decent social network that doesn't belong to Zuckerberg... Or you can buy land in Spain and produce something.... I don't know, there are many possibilites. Personally, I would put it in a fund.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.