The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What wins did you have last week? What would make this week a win?

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
To Make This Week a Win:
  1. Kept clients happy.
  2. Created a couple of new courses.
  3. Started paid ads for the new membership.
  1. Clients are reasonably happy I think. One churned who’s been hard work to deal with so I don’t mind that.
  2. I didn’t get those video courses done. I’ll do them first thing this morning.
  3. Started running Google Ads but only had one impression so far for the keywords I’m bidding on. Even the exercise of writing ads gave me some clarity.
Other wins last week:
  • Got to 22 students and $380 MRR with the new project.
  • Had a paid call with someone who wants us to send a proposal for a website rebuild. I don’t want to get involved in website builds but will come up with something.

What would make this week a win?
  1. Get those videos done this morning.
  2. Keep things ticking over while I go visit my mum in England for Christmas.
  3. Get over and back safely.
I don’t mind if no new students sign up. I’d like to serve the ones in there better first, and get into a weekly routine.

I’ll spend less time in the forum and on social media this week.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Matt Sun

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Oct 21, 2017
Argentina
This was an amazing win last week. I expanded the zone of my Google Ads campaign to my whole country instead of a few near states. CPC plummeted and traffic skyrocketed 10x for the same money I was spending before. My whatsapp is on fire with people that wish to buy what I sell.

One day I got a little freak out I could get so much happiness from Google Ads Lol

Attachments

• ads.jpg
    ads.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 3

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Another Week...
1. Figured out the changes to the floor plan we're going to use on the current rehab project. We're moving some walls around to rebuild the bathrooms and the kitchen. We're even moving one of the bedroom walls about a foot to make more room. We're going to use the space better with our new plan. It will be a lot more "livable".

2. Got an eviction filed and served against a problem tenant. The hearing is Monday afternoon by phone. The courts are closed to face-to-face hearings so I had to file everything that I want to present and have the tenant served with all of it. We'll see what the judge says. I normally win hands-down.

3. Got paid for 4 months of rent from a grant program on behalf of one tenant who is unemployed due to the virus. That particular tenant has been here for years and I'm happy that he qualified for the grant.

4. Drove my pickup to Anchorage, Alaska to order a camper shell for it. Got a good discount on the price. It will be very nice when it comes in and they install it. The trip is a 4-hour drive each way on very icy roads through the mountain range. It was a long day -- so, I took a friend and she was good company. This is a business win because I buy & transport building materials all the time. This camper shell will make my life easier.

5. I took care of my health. I spent the afternoon at the dentist. I went in for a normal checkup and found out that I had a major infection in my jaw. I knew that I hadn't been feeling well, but I had no idea why. I spent 5 and a half hours in his chair getting it taken care of. I hope to be feeling better after resting this weekend. I have a lot of plans for next week.

Kal-El1998

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Nov 25, 2020
My win last week would be overcoming fear and joining a great program. My win this week would be taking action and begin the process of shooting screencasts over to prospects.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Tomorrow is Christmas... what did I win this week?

1. I worked on my floor plan for the bathrooms, laundry area, and kitchen on my current RE rental rehab project.

a. I was able to have my guys move the front bedroom wall out about a foot to make room for the 36" stand-up shower stall for that bathroom. We're framing out new bathroom walls as well. The closet space is smaller, but the floor space is bigger.
b. I laid out the plans for the kitchen cabinets & appliances. The room is gutted. It's going to have a counter eating area adjacent to the living room.
c. I figured out how to better use the floor space in the main bathroom and to make space for the washer & dryer.

Why spend the money for a complete rehab and take this kind of time for a mobile home? When the winter weather breaks, we'll add a shed roof and carport to the exterior. Then I can rent it and net around $900 per month. That's about 20% to 25% return on my dollar.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Week Commencing Mon 07-Dec-20
What wins did you have last week?
This last week was the one between Christmas and New Years'. It would seem that not much would be going on, but I had a busy week.
1. I had two tenants move out. Neither caused too many damages. Now we must clean them up and get them re-rented. One was expected to move, and I had filed an eviction action. They went ahead and moved before the court order was issued, for which I was grateful. The other had to move to Anchorage, AK for medical reasons. Neither caused too much drama, so I am blessed. We changed the keys & took our pictures yesterday for both units on New Year's Day.
2. I've been "catching up" on my bookkeeping for months. Investments and businesses like this run on mountains of paperwork. I set myself up a new office space during the spring of 2020, and I've been streamlining my system since then. I swear that those little pieces of paper have babies every and the piles get higher. BUT, I noted this week that I'm just about caught up on everything. My "skinny" system and new assistant are working better than I could have hoped. I'm ready to start running the end-of-year reports on a couple of items. By the end of next week, I should have all the data collected for a bunch of other ones. Then I can start putting together the tax info to go to my CPA -- and it's not March or April! I can't remember when I've been in this good of a position with my bookkeeping in past years on New Year's Day. (Yes, I do my own bookkeeping.)
3. We made progress on our rental rehab project. We've been building internal walls and getting the major system adapted to the new floor plan we're creating. I order the electric meter to be set so we can have power. They'll be out this coming week. The electrical panel (breaker box) is now connected to the unit electrical system and the ground rod is installed. So, it's ready for the meter.
Moving the fixtures and walls has meant changes in the plumbing and electrical systems. Those changes are coming together. We've had to put the bathtub against an exterior wall -- which I really don't like to do since we're in Alaska -- But, that's where it must go in order to use some of that bathroom floor space for the washer enclosure. Oh well. We'll use more insulation behind that tub.
Another major consideration is the natural gas pipes that have had to be altered. We're going to install an on-demand water heater, so the supply line must be larger in order to connect to that unit. The new line is in and waiting for that appliance. (A sigh of blessing to our old, dependable pipe threading machine.) The new forced-air furnace is ordered and on backorder. I hope it comes in this coming week so we can have it ready to install. Then we can put in a request to turn on the natural gas service. Having dependable heat would be nice since it's -3 degrees out there in that big cold world...
I had all the plywood delivered this week for the subflooring -- 36 sheets. We've patched or replaced a lot of the structural framing for the floors, walls, and ceiling. We're ready to put down the new sub-flooring. The floor covering will be sheet vinyl. It lasts longer and holds up much better than carpeting. In order to use that vinyl, the subflooring must be as smooth as possible.
We put up plastic for the vapor barrier on the walls and ceilings this last week when we finished working on the framing structure and adding insulation where we needed it. This project is going to take a lot of luane board for the walls and ceilings paneling!

No wonder I'm looking forward to a day off tomorrow. I guess I'm just not good at being retired. Working gives my life meaning and structure...

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
W/C 04-Jan-21
  1. What wins did you have last week?
  2. What would make this week a win?

Last edited:

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
W/C 04-Jan-21

Last week I spent time with family, this week a national lockdown not happening would be a win as it means I can still work. If there's a lockdown I'm earning nothing as I'm not entitled to any funding. It's absolutely ridiculous!

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Last week I spent time with family, this week a national lockdown not happening would be a win as it means I can still work. If there's a lockdown I'm earning nothing as I'm not entitled to any funding. It's absolutely ridiculous!
Is there anything you can do to earn if there is a lockdown?

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
Is there anything you can do to earn if there is a lockdown?

I'll wait to see what Doris says at 8pm tonight. My business is affected but can continue for definite in tiers 4. However, in full lockdown, it depends if it's deemed essential.

Failing that I'll have to find other industries to market for, maybe in US or try selling the software I use as a SAAS.

I run ads then get paid when client shows for appointments so I'm stuck between a rock and hard place at the moment because If i pay for ads then lockdown happens and appointments are cancelled I don't get paid plus I've spent money on the ads.

rollerskates

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Jan 10, 2017
Texas
Last week wins:
1. Wrote down goals for 2021, including personal things that would make my life better, not just $ and health goals.
2. Sales were better than expected for a holiday week
3. Really enjoyed a full 2 days off without leaving the house where all I had to do was eat, drink, and read.

What would make this week a win:

Hitting my business goals because my reward would be going to a trade show (as a browser) this weekend.
Hitting my diet goals (i.e. eating only what I am supposed to)
Proper time management.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
January 4th through January 8th, 2021

It was another busy week.

1. We put down all the subflooring in the rehab project. That's a lot of sheets of plywood. And we built some more internal walls.

2. We picked up the new furnace for the rehab project.

3. At the first vacancy, we put down new subflooring in the back bedroom and installed new vinyl floor coverings, We had to remove a closet wall and rebuild the floor under the water heater. Then reinstalled the water heater and rebuilt the closet wall. (It's too cold to open the exterior water heater door for more than a few minutes.)
Now, the interior is being painted. The former tenants painted the bathroom pink and gray without permission. It's being returned to off white.
We're replacing all the hinges on the cupboard doors in the kitchen and the bathroom.
I have it rented and the young couple will move in as soon as it's ready.

4. At the second vacancy, the walls and ceilings are being washed down so it can be painted. It will be ready to work on when we are finished with vacancy #1.

5. I'm closing out the books for 2020. It's coming along nicely. But, I did find out the IRS has changed some forms this year that I usually use. I want to be ready to send my info to my CPA by the end of the month.

6. I'm going to the pool just about every night. I'm doing water aerobics and water walking with my friend. We've been doing it for several weeks.

It was a good week.

PS. edit -- I forgot to include that this week I got the electric meter set (installed and activated) at the rehab project. That's a real biggie -- a major milestone in the project! Now for getting the gas meter set...

Last edited:

YouCanDoThis

Start with Empathy
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Jan 2, 2021
Europe
W/C 04-Jan-21
1. Started working on an outline for my video course (got 50% done, I reckon). Also, went to physiotherapy again, my knee’s feeling better already.
2. Finish the course, and write a script for one of the lessons.

After that, I’m going to give recording a first try to see how it feels and what the next steps should be.

DONTRAY

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Aug 8, 2019
Pennsylvania
I failed my driving exam for the second time — no license for me. I have one more chance. Three chances then it’s back to the first process. I want to be able to purchase a van or truck to haul equipment for the businesses I have in mind. ARGH!

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
W/C 11-Jan-21

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
W/C 11-Jan-21

What wins did you have last week?
  1. I was on a podcast in Dec-2020 and it was published this week. Got great feedback on the podcast, and was invited into the small Facebook group for the podcast where I got a great reception.
  2. Due to the podcast I hit 35 members and $765 MRR for my new membership that I only started on 27-Nov-2020 (I'm happy with this as it's been organic growth mostly).
  1. Do a good job on another podcast I'm scheduled to go on this week.
  2. Answer the questions from my members that I got this week!
  3. Create and upload a new course.
  4. Possibly get another eCom client ... I'm chatting to the business owner this week.
  5. Get my UK and Irish tax docs sent to my accountants!

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
1/9-1/16/21

It was a good week

1. We finished getting ready to rent a vacancy. The kids moved in last night. It's their first home and they're very excited. The ex-tenant had left a dead car in the yard. They came and got it at the last minute, so that problem is gone.

2. Got a second vacancy ready to paint. Washed down the walls and the ceilings. Starting the painting today. I don't have a tenant for that one yet, so I'll continue my search. It's my only vacancy.

3. Wednesday I won a Small Claims case against an old tenant who moved last fall. She countersued me with no evidence. Her countersuit was dismissed and I won my action.

4. Monday we went to Anchorage for some critical supplies. It's only a little bit over 200 miles each way, but it was a VERY difficult trip. The roads were terrible. It was snowing hard in the mountain pass -- almost a whiteout. Nothing was plowed out and there were two different serious traffic accidents. Then it was raining on the part of the trip that runs along the ocean. It was standing water on top of black ice. There were multiple people stopped with blown-out tires from hitting the potholes. We finally got home a little bit before midnight safe and sound. I sure don't want to go there again this winter.

5. We did not work on the rehab project this week. Too many other more pressing projects.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
1/9-1/16/21

It was a good week

1. We finished getting ready to rent a vacancy. The kids moved in last night. It's their first home and they're very excited. The ex-tenant had left a dead car in the yard. They came and got it at the last minute, so that problem is gone.

2. Got a second vacancy ready to paint. Washed down the walls and the ceilings. Starting the painting today. I don't have a tenant for that one yet, so I'll continue my search. It's my only vacancy.

3. Wednesday I won a Small Claims case against an old tenant who moved last fall. She countersued me with no evidence. Her countersuit was dismissed and I won my action.

4. Monday we went to Anchorage for some critical supplies. It's only a little bit over 200 miles each way, but it was a VERY difficult trip. The roads were terrible. It was snowing hard in the mountain pass -- almost a whiteout. Nothing was plowed out and there were two different serious traffic accidents. Then it was raining on the part of the trip that runs along the ocean. It was standing water on top of black ice. There were multiple people stopped with blown-out tires from hitting the potholes. We finally got home a little bit before midnight safe and sound. I sure don't want to go there again this winter.

5. We did not work on the rehab project this week. Too many other more pressing projects.
Only 200 miles each way? We’d have gone to the other end of Ireland and back! Glad you made it back. It sounds like a trip to avoid till the weather gets better.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Only 200 miles each way? We’d have gone to the other end of Ireland and back! Glad you made it back. It sounds like a trip to avoid till the weather gets better.
Andy, Alaska is 1/3 the size of all of the "Lower 48" states. The state of Texas is a drop in the bucket compared to us. The Borough (like a county) where I live is about the same size as the State of Pennsylvania. We have only about 60,000 people living in all of that space. We have a lot more moose than we have people.

Everything here is far, far away. In order to access our capital, we must go to Anchorage and fly to that city. There are no roads. It's that way for much of our state.

Traveling in the winter is difficult on a lot of days. There's one highway to Anchorage and there are times when the authorities just shut it down for periods of time, or for a few days. Our every trip, we go prepared with our winter wear and supplies -- ready to be stuck out there -- or in Anchorage. I went to class last winter in Anchorage and I got stuck for 3 extra days. It started with a blizzard, that caused a major avalanche on the highway. My mom used to remind me that Alaska is a very unforgiving place. She was right. People can and do die. It's not a place for wimps!

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
W/C 18-Jan-21

# LAST WEEK
  1. I had 7 signups (6 for the Bootcamp and 1 for the Accelerator) for an additional $140 MRR.
  2. It's hard to tell with New Zenler how many active paying members I have. I believe I'm at 37 Bootcamp members and 6 Accelerator members for a total MRR of $880.

# THIS WEEK
  1. Mon: I'm doing our first Zoom workshop tonight (which reminds me that I need to email everyone!).
  2. Tue: I'm doing a second $100 call with a Bootcamp member.
  3. Wed: I'm on a podcast for course creators.
  4. I'd like to get a Wordpress installation created this week so we can start adding articles to a blog area. I'll likely move the New Zenler installation from the root domain to an academy or courses subdomain.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Week of Jan 11

Wins
  • First Amazon sale in new ecommerce business (I'll make a progress thread for this eventually)
  • Dry run of first LinkedIn event
  • 68 confirmed registrants for first LinkedIn event (almost nice)

• If this week's event is successful. Even if it's not then I'll learn something, but if it is, it will justify doing more of them.
  • Launch the FB ads side of the new ecommerce business

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
1/18-1/23/21

I don't feel like I got much done this week that is reportable. So, I had to think hard about what I did:

1. We worked on our vacancy to get it ready to rent. Almost there. Painting and cleaning...
I processed an application on it, but I don't like their credit reports. They have a history of not paying their basic bills. Next... I'll find someone who qualifies.

2. I closed out most of our income streams for last year. I had to file our sale taxes on the different businesses, so that part of the tax info is completed. Now, on to the expense portion of closing out 2020. the final figures then are summarized and I send them to my CPA.
Yes, I do my own daily bookkeeping. Why? Because I can. Yes, I can hire it out. It's complicated and it takes my time. BUT, it's part of owning businesses. AND NO ONE CAN CHEAT ME THROUGH COOKING MY BOOKS OR EMBEZZLE MY MONEY! This may seem like a small risk, but it's a common problem when you outsource or hire someone to do your accounting.

3. We finished servicing all the on-demand water heaters in the rentals. That's about 15 of them in the rentals plus the ones at the Laundromat and the office. They take an hour each to service.

4. We didn't work on the rehab this week. We'll start back on it as soon as we get the vacancy ready to rent.

What would make a win for next week?

1. Finding a tenant for our vacancy.

2. Working on closing out the expenses for 2020.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
You're a "the glass is half-empty" type of guy.

I'm just happy there's a glass of water.
So, if you don't want more, why are you here on this forum? Most of us are thrivers and strivers.

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Apr 24, 2016
So, if you don't want more, why are you here on this forum? Most of us are thrivers and strivers.
I don't know, I didn't see a "no struggling people allowed" sign.

I do find it interesting how some of you end up even more consumed by the shackles of capitalism, ironically in your efforts to escape it.

Now allow me to kiss your shoes, Your Majesty.

ljean

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Jan 22, 2017
USA
Last week: stock portfolio up $50,000

This week: real estate wholesale closing that should put $10,000 in my pocket. Also, expecting to get an offer on a rental property i have listed for sale.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.