The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What wins did you have last week? What would make this week a win?

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Week Commencing Mon 07-Dec-20
What wins did you have last week?
What would make this week a win?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Wins Last Week:
  1. Hit 15 members in a new membership.
  2. Got great feedback that’s been added to the sales page.

To Make This Week a Win:
  1. Kept clients happy.
  2. Created a couple of new courses.
  3. Started paid ads for the new membership.

juresesko

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Apr 10, 2020
Slovenia
Wins Last Week:
Turned 18 years old
Made a lot of sketches of a product
Found some contacts I have to call.
To Make This Week a Win:
Make that first call (already did)
Call some more
Get the crucial part of my product designed and made.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Wins this last week?

My biggest win was personal. I realized that through all the years of struggle, I have become my step-daughter's hero. She's turning 26 and she's pregnant with her second child. She told me that she wants to be like me. When she was a kid, she fought me all the way. Now, as an adult, she understands. Go figure.

In business: We finished a carport and roof that covers a handicapped ramp on a rental unit. That was a hard-won project since winter has set in here in Alaska. And we just finished rehabbing the unit over the last several months. Now I am looking for my renter. It's our only vacancy. During the last day, I've had 3 calls on it and I'll be showing it again in a few minutes. I have the only group of affordable housing in our community. So, I will have several applicants to interview. I'm hoping for someone who is disabled and needs the access ramp. It also qualifies for housing assistance from the State. We'll see who shows up to apply.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Wins this last week?

My biggest win was personal. I realized that through all the years of struggle, I have become my step-daughter's hero. She's turning 26 and she's pregnant with her second child. She told me that she wants to be like me. When she was a kid, she fought me all the way. Now, as an adult, she understands. Go figure.

In business: We finished a carport and roof that covers a handicapped ramp on a rental unit. That was a hard-won project since winter has set in here in Alaska. And we just finished rehabbing the unit over the last several months. Now I am looking for my renter. It's our only vacancy. During the last day, I've had 3 calls on it and I'll be showing it again in a few minutes. I have the only group of affordable housing in our community. So, I will have several applicants to interview. I'm hoping for someone who is disabled and needs the access ramp. It also qualifies for housing assistance from the State. We'll see who shows up to apply.
Me and my dad chuckled at a sign we saw in a gift shop. It said “When I was 18 my dad didn’t know jack. In 5 short years you wouldn’t believe how smart he’s become.” That’s great your step-daughter has seen the light.

I love your business win too. I’m sure it tugs at you that you can’t help more people.

What would make this week a win @WJK?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Wins Last Week:
Turned 18 years old
Made a lot of sketches of a product
Found some contacts I have to call.
To Make This Week a Win:
Make that first call (already did)
Call some more
Get the crucial part of my product designed and made.
Happy birthday for last week!

Congrats on that first call. How did it go?

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Me and my dad chuckled at a sign we saw in a gift shop. It said “When I was 18 my dad didn’t know jack. In 5 short years you wouldn’t believe how smart he’s become.”
Andy, that is so true. Many years ago, my husband's ex-wife married a registered sex offender. We had to do a full-blown custody battle to run him off. We saved our 2 kids and some of his other children from his bad behavior. He's currently in jail for offending again. I'm so glad that I went to law school. I knew what to do. And now my stepdaughter understands that we did it all out of love.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Wins:

- First sale when launching a new ecom product (one that I actually own!) Pyrrhic victory because as soon as he ordered, I found a technical F*ckup (my fault 100%) that is now going to require me to refund him. Once it's fixed, though, this is an excellent sign for a brand new ecom company I'm building (well, that my agency is building, since I'm using the same staff and resources).
- Started working with someone who will help my LinkedIn outreach efforts. My previous LinkedIn outreach has worked... kind of. I've closed 3 deals through it but it took months, mainly because I was doing it all myself and when I would get busy with client work, I wouldn't do it. I figured I could supercharge it with the help of an expert.
- Got to see what my product would look like for sale. Such a win.

What would make this week a win:

- Relaunch with no F*ckups this time.
- Get another first sale. (Last "first sale" happened only hours after launch, hopefully the next "first" will happen just as quickly)
- Understand what this person wants to do with my LinkedIn & come up with a joint vision for our next 6 months together. (Yep, I signed on for that long. Mistake? We'll see!)

juresesko

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Apr 10, 2020
Slovenia
Happy birthday for last week!

Congrats on that first call. How did it go?
Thanks a lot!

Have been preparing for it for like an hour, after some more time I clicked call when he answered I lost all my words my tongue was twisting all over the place but the person was very understandable and after some I sent some sketches to him he got the right idea of what I want to make, later he gave me some advice on what I should get from other companies because it will be cheaper for me.
I am connected with him over E-mail and currently talking about prices of specific parts.

When is your birthday?

rollerskates

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Jan 10, 2017
Texas
Super sales week in my current "day job" of flipping stuff online.

1. Biggie would be some real life stuff turning out ok. Can't really concentrate on anything else til I know how this thing will turn out.

2. Stopping dithering and launching part of a new thing I'm doing. Dithering consists of a. use an existing online platform? b. buy a dot com and hosting? c. is this first part compatible with the ultimate goal? if not, why would I do it? d. If this first part is successful do I need the ultimate goal? And so on. Basically, dithering is killing me.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
2. Stopping dithering and launching part of a new thing I'm doing. Dithering consists of a. use an existing online platform? b. buy a dot com and hosting? c. is this first part compatible with the ultimate goal? if not, why would I do it? d. If this first part is successful do I need the ultimate goal? And so on. Basically, dithering is killing me.
Pick a direction and go. Change it later if you need.

“You can’t steer a parked car.” (James Schramko)

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska

Amen. Staying stuck is a decision. By not taking a direction, you are deciding to let Life choose your direction. And yes, you are still responsible for whatever Life decides for you.

afrankmore

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Nov 5, 2020
Central California
Wins this past week:
Completed 2 of my workbooks and sent them off to be reviewed by someone who specializes in my topic
Started working on my 3rd and final workbook for this first series
Options market was good to me

Goals this week:
Revise my 2 workbooks after feedback is received
Work on 3 workbook introductions
Close out a few option trades for profit

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Found a pre-market foreclosure with my realtor to go look at. She's finally on board with my real estate strategy.
That's the highlight of the week, but we'll see if it proves as good as it looks on paper.

So far it looks like I could flip this one relatively easily and make, idk, $20-50,000?

The financing will be tricky.

rollerskates

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Jan 10, 2017
Texas

But that's too easy. LOL Actually, yes, I need to make a list of which direction I'll go in first and then which after that if that doesn't work for whatever reason. Thanks!

And the personal item turned out to be not bad, so that makes everything a lot easier when it's not at the front of my mind all day every day.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I need to make a list of which direction I'll go in first and then which after that if that doesn't work for whatever reason.
Careful of the words you use. You don’t *need* to.

Also... “Overthinking is the art of solving problems you don’t have.”

Do the first thing first? The next thing has a habit of not being something on your list.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
And the personal item turned out to be not bad, so that makes everything a lot easier when it's not at the front of my mind all day every day.
That’s good to hear.

Roughneck

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Oct 14, 2018
Wins Last Week
* Managed to get my first pre-order for goods coming from a supplier
*Organised a meet with an enthusiast to take pro shots - stock photos for ecommerce car part shop
* Finalised Logo and had really good feedback about it

Make this week a win?
* Place initial order from supplier and have a conversation to negotiate a better discount on particular products (DONE!)
* Make solid headway on Shopify Store
* Finalise Xero account and invoicing.
* Mow the lawn before the rain hits

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Make this week a win?
* Place initial order from supplier and have a conversation to negotiate a better discount on particular products (DONE!)
* Make solid headway on Shopify Store
* Finalise Xero account and invoicing.
* Mow the lawn before the rain hits
Well done on completing one of those tasks already.

What does “make solid headway” mean? Can you be more specific? Come Sunday evening what test can you apply to see if you did or didn’t pass? (E.g. Get checkout working on Shopify.).

Tip1: A project manager’s job is to pass a test. The first step is that they need to know what the test will be and what date it will be applied.

Tip2: I like to write my tasks in the past tense, so I can check them off. Probably not a big deal but maybe worth trying.

And go mow that lawn now. That’s a nice easy win to get some momentum in your day!

MaxKhalus

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 7, 2018
Spain
Well, Q4 has a lot to do with working hard. I already believe I'm winning my weeks, but that doesn't give that much satisfaction.

A winning week would be a week when I get 2x weeks' worth of work in one. Assuming I already maxed out my time.

Roughneck

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Oct 14, 2018
Well done on completing one of those tasks already.

What does “make solid headway” mean? Can you be more specific? Come Sunday evening what test can you apply to see if you did or didn’t pass? (E.g. Get checkout working on Shopify.).

Tip1: A project manager’s job is to pass a test. The first step is that they need to know what the test will be and what date it will be applied.

Tip2: I like to write my tasks in the past tense, so I can check them off. Probably not a big deal but maybe worth trying.

And go mow that lawn now. That’s a nice easy win to get some momentum in your day!
Some excellent tips there.

More specific.
* Make a draft/concept of final store design and it's direction
* Upload complete product list and check-over descriptions
* Pay for Xero & Integrate with Shopify - something I've been thinking about for too long.

I do find completing everything around the house does get momentum going for the day, although the lawns will have to wait until tomorrow. Neighbours might get angry since it's 10:30pm here in Sydney.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Well, Q4 has a lot to do with working hard. I already believe I'm winning my weeks, but that doesn't give that much satisfaction.

A winning week would be a week when I get 2x weeks' worth of work in one. Assuming I already maxed out my time.
I’m wondering if the amount of work is the right yardstick to measure the success of your week?

MaxKhalus

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 7, 2018
Spain
I’m wondering if the amount of work is the right yardstick to measure the success of your week?
As a freelancer, I count words writen and dollars earned. I'm pretty sure I negotiated the highest rate already.

So until I work on a scalable business, that's the best metric I've found.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
As a freelancer, I count words writen and dollars earned. I'm pretty sure I negotiated the highest rate already.

So until I work on a scalable business, that's the best metric I've found.
Gotcha. So “X number of words written” is your target rather than “work twice as hard”. That’s cool.

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
This week I offered a free ads campaign to a man I know. For getting practice.

I m afraid I ll have to do it next week latest

Really a win? Not sure. What do you think Andy?

Oh and I succeeded to take my son from doc to doc, as he broke his leg on sunday.

Schuylerc

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
209%
Nov 21, 2020
What financing are you thinking of doing on the property?
Found a pre-market foreclosure with my realtor to go look at. She's finally on board with my real estate strategy.
That's the highlight of the week, but we'll see if it proves as good as it looks on paper.

So far it looks like I could flip this one relatively easily and make, idk, $20-50,000?

The financing will be tricky financing are you thinking of doing for the property?

rollerskates

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Jan 10, 2017
Texas
Careful of the words you use. You don’t *need* to.

Also... “Overthinking is the art of solving problems you don’t have.”

Do the first thing first? The next thing has a habit of not being something on your list.
I thrive on lists! But I see what you mean.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
This week I offered a free ads campaign to a man I know. For getting practice.

I m afraid I ll have to do it next week latest

Really a win? Not sure. What do you think Andy?

Oh and I succeeded to take my son from doc to doc, as he broke his leg on sunday.
Oh gosh. I hope your son recovers fully from that.

A win is whatever you class as a win.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

What financing are you thinking of doing on the property?
I can't really decide.

- Renovation loan, 15% down with a loan amount of purchase price + budget for renovation
- Regular mortgage that I have a preapproval for ("move in," get the work done with some contractor contacts, sell)
- Older family member private loan, basically pay higher interest but have way less strings attached. Family member is supportive because I did some great work on my last home and made money when I sold it. (Actually increased the square footage on that one - previous owner never got permits for a poorly done addition so I redid it and contractor got it permitted)

The property is too big for me to pay cash, and honestly, 20% down would eat up most of my budget for repairs.
An FHA loan could work (i'm approved to put nothing down) but the carrying costs could eat me alive if I take too long.

After I get an estimate from my GC friend, I might just walk away. It would be better to pay cash, I'm just not at that level in my life yet.

I'm always ready to drop everything and walk out if the numbers are bad.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
This week I had some wins:
1. I rented my one vacancy to two brothers -- they're moved in & are happy.
2. I started rehabbing another rental unit. It's a larger project since the unit is 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms plus an addition. We started with framing out and installing a new back door to keep the winter out. It's amazing what a difference that door makes in keeping the workmen warm!
3. Finished major repairs (new clutch, tune-up, and steering parts) to the plow truck -- which is vital since it is winter here in Alaska. We have a couple of miles of private roads to plow & bunches of tenant's driveways.
4. I had some people seriously behind on their trust deed (mortgage) payments. They were late due to unemployment related to the virus. This week they got it all caught up and paid the payments through January. Yeah! I sure didn't want to foreclose on them!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.