The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What will you accomplish in 2019?

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

jwhanke

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
Mar 26, 2018
Akron, OH
Congratulations on the PE! (my BS is EE and my ME friends went from struggling EIT to sweating the PE). It's more major than you think.

And I agree a good night's sleep is so important. I can survive most everything if I've slept well.

How is meditation working out for you? I have no patience for it. I'll "meditate" when I go out walking but I can't just sit there.
I appreciate the congratulations! Glad to see there is another EE on the forum.
Meditation has been great! It really helps me be aware of how I'm thinking, helps me think rationally and control my emotions. I think knowing how you think and helping mitigate your biases are a huge competitive advantage in business/work. It also helps your relationships with friends and family as well.
My preferred way to start a habit is the Tim Ferris/James clear model, make it easy. As long as I do it everyday, even if its for a minute it counts. This way you don't have to use your will power and can build the neural habit pattern in your brain. I use headspace app because it keeps track of my daily streak and helps feed my dopamine centers to incentive me to not miss a day. People have also recommended Sam Harris's app as well.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

QuikCoin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
375%
Feb 14, 2015
Hold a Minimum Monthly Sales of 10k in my Painting Company.

Hit 200k Gross for the Year.

Join 2 Different RE Investment Groups, and take an active position in one.

Flip one house and House Hack one for myself (Duplex).

Progress is coming..
1.Currently producing 25k+ pre month with a take home of 30%, and have built a kick a$$ team while doing it.
2.Active in the RE community and have become friends with some of the biggest investors in my town.
3.Closing on 2 properties and actively looking for my next one.

It looks like it's time to set new goals... some scary ones.

1.Build out two full time teams and Promote someone too project manager.
2.Start a RE investment company focused on BRRR property investing, with a goal of one purchase every 2 months.
3. Volunteer to help others and be of service, at least 5 hours per month.
4. Be open to dating again, and go out with someone new at least every 2 months.

MMLB

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Nov 19, 2018
Utah, USA
7 months left.. let's go!

1)lose 31lbs: daily exercise & lifestyle (266-31=235)
2)100k net income: sell 920 more units via automated processes as much as possible
3)get out of indentured servitude (pay all debt clear)

Danny01

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Jan 20, 2019
Build 3 Niche Websites Earning a total of 10k Dollars Per Month from AdSense

Nackog

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Nov 12, 2017
United States
  1. Drop weight to 190lbs and less than 12% body fat by May.
  2. Create $500/mo extra outside work by 6/1, $1500/mo by 12/1.
  3. Finish my product and make first sale. Fastlane Biz.
  4. Move to new location and job in January.
  5. Find and join a new martial arts gym (BJJ/Krav) in new location.
  6. Read and contribute to Fastlane Forum weekly.

Status of previous goals:
1. Complete! Hit target weight in April.
2. Roughly on track with extra income goal.
3. Have not made progress on my product... but a new opportunity has come up. (see new goals below)
4. Complete! Moved across country (NY to CA)
5. Complete! Found a great new gym and have been going frequently.
6. I have been reading the forum but I need to step up on my contributing.

Updated goals:
1. Train for and run marathon in September. (Already signed up)
2. Continue with goal to generate income outside my slowlane job. Generate over $6k by 12/31/19.
3. Obtain contractor's license. (Class A general engineering contractor.) Studying for test now.
4. Continue at the martial arts gym 3 times / wk.
5. Find duplex or multi family property to fix up. I've read some good threads on this already.
6. Keep reading and start contributing to forum. Especially interested in e-commerce and real estate / construction. Many thanks to @SteveO , @biophase , @Get Right , and @G_Alexander for the great information that they have posted in their threads. I would love to hear about more threads to read or resources to check out if anyone has suggestions.

Hope everyone is doing well. Half way through the year!

MetalGear

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
258%
Jan 24, 2017
Narnia
  • Finish first investment property by February 2019
    • Find, screen, and sign a tenant by March 2019
  • Decide on the SaaS or E-commerce venture by April 2019
    • Launch by September 2019
  • Find a new hobby and develop 4 new friends by June 2019
  • BJJ Blue Belt by December 2019
  • Down to 165lbs @ 12% body fat by December 2019
  • Learn one song on the guitar by December 2019

Some great questions to ask yourself now that we are almost halfway through the year
  1. Where am I with the goals that I set?
  2. Where is fear or uncertainty holding me back?
  3. Where else does this pattern of thought show up in my life?
  4. Are there thought patterns that I need to re-frame?
  5. How do I interrupt this pattern so I can move forward?

Dylan in Africa

Worldwide Educator
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Aug 25, 2017
Planet Earth
79/365 ... a rewarding test of discipline and daily sacrifice. Something special about a nonstop runner's high. Highly recommended habit!

143/365... Feeling great. One day at a time!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Bump, lets hear it!

Tubs

Starting fresh
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Apr 5, 2019
VA
Goals by Dec 31 2019
-Reach 190 lbs (Currently 232lbs)
-Have mobile game released on both Android and IOS with at least 100,000 users
-Have $10,000 in savings

Hadrian

QUEST MASTER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Oct 8, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
Goals by Dec 31 2019
-Reach 190 lbs (Currently 232lbs)
-Have mobile game released on both Android and IOS with at least 100,000 users
-Have $10,000 in savings

Hi Tubs,

I'm recently in the App game myself...would love to connect and share your thoughts! :)

Hadrian

QUEST MASTER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Oct 8, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
Congratulations on the PE! (my BS is EE and my ME friends went from struggling EIT to sweating the PE). It's more major than you think.

And I agree a good night's sleep is so important. I can survive most everything if I've slept well.

How is meditation working out for you? I have no patience for it. I'll "meditate" when I go out walking but I can't just sit there.

Hi Lara, shameless plug here but I was in the same boat after trying out about 100 different apps like Calm and Headspace.... I decided to create something that does work ... and I've a free sample on my website... if you want check out www.Celticwhispers.ie. Launching the full product next month!

I'll be doing a walking version next year too! :)

Ubu_roi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
333%
Jul 24, 2018
Europe
Ok, here's mine:

By the end of this year I will:

1. Get my almost passive income from 3k to 5k euro

2. Write my first book with an editor (technical, 450 pages). I've completed 90 pages so far.

3. Become THE guy with a niche technology in my country (Italy). I'll do this through the book at point 2, YouTube, forums and a Udemy course.

4. Reduce my working hours from 60 per week to 40 per week, with at least one free day per week.

Good luck to everyone who's posted here!

solyom

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
May 26, 2019
Europe
Just joined not too long ago... here are my plans for this year:

1. Publish my book (already written, need to do the design, publishing and marketing phases)
2. At least 20 licenses sold of my software (it was non-existent at the beginning of the year, now already sold 2)
3. Increase the percentage of fastlane-type income to over 20% by the end of the year (last year it was 17.8%)

reedracer

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Jun 2, 2019
Kansas City
Ok, I'll play. Goals for 1/1/2020
1. My weight is down for the year and I expect it to continue. 298 now 250 on the above date.

2. POD/Engrave-on-Demand Shirts Jewelry and other products.
a. Complete all the legal ancillary pages and stuff on my shopify store.
b. Post 30+ items in the store OR cancel it.
c. A/B test and run 1 clickfunnels campaign OR cancel it.

3. Test market idea 2 - (The one about bullets in case I shiny object between now and then)

Last edited:

astr0

Grinding
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Dec 3, 2017
Lviv, Ukraine
  1. Build an income stream detached from time to cover 2x my family expenses.
  2. Afford at least one free day in a week; get back to offroading and enduro
  3. Stop drinking energy drinks unless totally necessary
  4. Eat more healthy (less meat, more vegetables)

John F.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Aug 29, 2018
Arizona
  • Launch my first 6 products.
  • Income replacement by September
  • Cut debt by $50k by EOY
Mid-year update on this progress.
  • Zero products launched. I have 2 almost ready to go though. First one is happening in about a month. Second one a few weeks after that, etc... This one is going to be reached for sure.
  • Income replacement by September is going to be a huge challenge. Not even remotely close at this point.
  • I have cut debt by ~$20k so far this year and managed to dump over $6k into the business. Much more will be going into the business for product orders for the next few months so this will slow down a bit until the last quarter when the business will be making some substantial profits. Then I can hit this goal hard.
New Goals
  • Leave my J.O.B in 2019. Even if it's New Year's Eve.
  • Ask my wife to leave her job to work on the business with me. She has a ton of skills that I don't have and I'm sure she would love to be in charge of herself. She gave me a number to hit before she would even consider it. She is very concerned about safety due to significant challenges we faced in the past.

Solais

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Sep 14, 2018
Not a New Year's Resolution thread, but a mere proclamation of what you will accomplish in 2019.

List one thing, or many.

Whatever you resolve to do.

Please keep your proclamation measurable!

Lose weight is not measurable, lose 50 lbs is!
Start a business is not measurable, sell X units is!

This time next year, we will bump this thread and see how things went!

I'll start:

I will release at LEAST one book in 2019, either under the Unscripted nameplate or other.

This might not seem to be a big proclamation, but for me it is. My history shows that I take anywhere from 3 to 5 years to write and publish something. I'd like actually take my writing time down to less than 1 year and time to market in under 6 months.

Also, if you posted in this thread AND have a progress thread, please include and link to it!!

Thank you!

After 2 failures (which is why I went into hiding for months and only returned just today, dunno if you remember me ROFL), my proclamation is to

- Get at least one PAYING customer by July 31, 2019; I'm setting up Google Ads tomorrow, I have the infrastructure in place now after spending 2 and a half months optimizing my website MYSELF
- Step up my game and earn at least $5K/month by December 31, 2019
- Get top 5 google rankings in at least 3 keywords that yield 1,000+ traffic per month

I know you're a heavy critic of SEO, (you mocked it in your Unscripted book) but aside from that or paid ads, I don't know what other options I have...maybe try to get interviews on podcasts. Meh. For me it's

SEO (link building white-hat) + PPC + Organic Outreach...

There is one guy in my very specific niche who did a TedTalk and produced his own documentary and uploaded it to YouTube. It has almost 100,000 views.

He's great at marketing, I'll give him that...but my expertise and much deeper knowledge is the Ace in my hand.

I haven't seen any evidence or proof that what he's doing is any different from what those "drug scare tactics" guys did back in the 1980s. They went to high schools/colleges, scared people into thinking that "OMG! IF YOU'RE A DRUG/ALCOHOL ADDICT, YOU'LL BE DOOMED AND DIE!" etc. (Obviously paid shills for the rehab industry)

If only I could have an opportunity to play that Ace...:clench:

I don't know if you ever had this feeling back when you were doing your Limos.com business, i.e. you KNEW you had a superior product, but other people were way more aggressive in marketing, so you had to play it slow.

AnneC

Conscious
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
392%
Jan 3, 2012
USA
I get so caught up in the day-to-day, that I forget to set goals for the bigger picture. This thread is a great reminder, and a good excuse to check in on the forum.

Last year was all about growth. This year, it's about getting the systems down so that I can scale even more. To quote one of my mastermind friends, "The profit is in the process." It's so true.

I switched to quarterly goals this year, but I only set them for Q1. I think that because I didn't set goals for Q2, I've been all over the freakin' place mentally... just tackling whatever problem arises.

Q3 Goal: EBC, email newsletter, website, Shopify, Etsy

I've got a lot on my plate, so I'm bringing back my VA next week. She was good, and I don't want to spend time to vet and train a new person.

So far, 2019 has been awesome. I've surpassed my revenue and profit from all of 2018. And I did it while taking a four week vacation.

I've been job-free for 10 years now. But this is the first year that I'll be able to say (on my own, and without my spouse or a partner), that my income exceeded my corporate salary. From my hockey stick sales graph from 2018, it might appear to be an overnight success. It's actually been years in the making, with lots of failures.

I am celebrating the wins, but I know it's time to build for the longer term.

Teo_NK

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Jun 3, 2019
Bulgaria
the previous post is a little bit fuzzy I would like to post something that is actually measurable, by the next year I would like to have an SUV Taking into a count that I don't even have a drivers license.

Robert25

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Apr 3, 2019
San Diego
-100 subscribers to my podcast
-Bring first product to market and make my first sale
-Write my first ebook
-Complete my own website
-Create at least 2 new income streams

Thomas Baptiste

Guide Yourself!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Jun 8, 2018
Commonwealth of Dominica
  • Successfully launch and maintain first fast lane business; get at least 100 people to come to my country and have the time of their lives.
  • Go down to15% body fat. Pack on 20+ lbs of muscle.
I know it is a bit early but after 1 year here's where I'm at:

1. Successfully made all preparations to start business in March of 2019. However realized there were too many barriers to entry for me, including capital. Realized that I had no control and there was nothing that I could improve in the industry my competitors weren't already doing. So that idea I put on pause. Got a scholarship and decided to go to college. On break right now.

2. Lost 10lbs after my first 2 months at college but put it right back on since Thanksgiving.
P.s. I love food. I did put on about 10 lbs of muscle this year. Went from 35% bf to 19% bf this year so that's another good thing.

This post has been at the back of my mind since the day i posted. Thanks for helping me keep accountable MJ.
Happy Holidays to all and a successful 2020.

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Sep 11, 2018
- Make and publish two video games
- Get into the habit of meditating
- Learn a new programming language
- Write and publish one fantasy book
- Compose a set of music tracks for video games and put them on a store for developers to buy them
- Cut the list above down to two or three items, there are too many things to keep focused on something great :)
Only the first one happened :) but at the end it was the most important one, so I'm quite happy. Two small games, but still two games out there and a first step.

I couldn't get into the habit of meditating for long, but I'm getting into the habit of exercising, which is more important to me. Feeling better than ever in years. I'll try to squeeze meditation in 2020 Q1, but it's going to be hard.

Started learning Rust (programming language), but stopped because it's a skill I wasn't going to use, even if I like it. I've been learning Dart instead to make mobile apps in Flutter, and C# for video games.

Actually started writing a fantasy book, but didn't want to get too much into it, as writing is not my main skill. I'll leave it for when I'm financially independent.

Had to leave music composition out (for now). A day has only that many hours.

Xavier X

Gold Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Jan 1, 2016
These United States
- Finally launch the startup that has taken two years to build (Jan. 5th, 2019).
- Visit/live in at least 20 new countries (visited/lived in 10 countries over the last 12 months).
- Buy a house in New York for cash.
- Have even more fun! Life isn't forever.

1. I successfully launched that startup in January. It's in the Media Production industry. Went on to hire two workers (independent contractor capacity). They worked on some projects, and I've been working on some crucial partnerships. However, there is some significant changes happening in our specific niche, so I paused most things, to see how the changes pan out. Then immediately pick it up from there.

2. I realized 20 new countries would require too much bouncing around, which would make it harder to work on my projects. So, I ended up living in/visiting 10 new countries in 2019. 1-2 months in most.

3. Still looking for a good deal, and weighing options in other locations.

4. All I can say about this one is, I outdid myself. :cool:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I will release at LEAST one book in 2019, either under the Unscripted nameplate or other.

Confession time: I failed.

The book is done, but it is still in the pre-production and the editing process, which unfortunately can take months.

SuperBlast

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Aug 3, 2019
Confession time: I failed.

The book is done, but it is still in the pre-production and the editing process, which unfortunately can take months.
Excited for the launching!

I already have the first two books on Audible. If it's possible, remember to make an audio version as well, definitely it will be worth listening to.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.