The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.
Anything related to matters of the mind

ICreateLuck

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Nov 26, 2023
Emerald Coast, Florida
In my experience, mindset is one of the most critical aspects, not only of entrepreneurship, but of life. I believe that most of the successes I've had were lessons I learned from failures, and the shift in perspective that happened.

If you could share the most valuable mental insight you've had as an entrepreneur, what would it be? For me, I think it would have to be this (something MJ talks about too):

• If you want to increase your wealth, stop paying attention to how you will make money, and focus on how you will help others, what they need and what value you can create for other people.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mark Larm

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Dec 5, 2023
Great article. I grew up in construction and convinced myself that I was just a worker bee. I built the houses that I would never own. At 54 I got my first patent and that day I said to myself “I'm not a worker bee, I’m an inventor.” That day I went into my garage and made 3 prototypes. Now when I tell someone my ideas and they say, “I was thinking about making that,” I reply “Yeah but I'm the kind of guy that does it.” That's my new mindset.

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
Failure is apart of the process, how you perceive certain events in life matters.

You can't be all about talk with no action.

If you truly want financial freedom, you have to do the work.

We all post on the forum, but what really matters is our actions the most. The doing is better than the speaking.

Constructive criticism is good feedback even if it hurts the self-esteem.

Don't be afraid to take risks.

The process is not linear.

You cannot consume your way to producer. You just can't. There's no point in buying a huge collection of books and waste an entire year worth of time and reading them. (Yes I did this and I will admit it)

Focus on others and quit talking about your problems that you have. Don't be a leech and trying to starve others of their energy.

You are the only one who can save yourself.

Don't use debt based on affordability, but costs.

Know that money = value-vouchers. You earned the amount of your lifetime based on the contributions you have made in this world.

As you can change the old relationships or friends you use to hang out with will fall.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
If you want to increase your wealth, stop paying attention to how you will make money, and focus on how you will help others, what they need and what value you can create for other people.

It took me a while to figure this out.

For my early years post college, I had a money focus.
When I switched to a value focus, everything changed.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Dig deeper.

(look at my avatar)

Applies to everything. Don't stop after a few days or weeks. Keep trying, keep tweaking things, and more often than not, the breakthrough will eventually happen.

Took me many years of jumping from one business idea to another to figure it out.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
In my experience, mindset is one of the most critical aspects, not only of entrepreneurship, but of life. I believe that most of the successes I've had were lessons I learned from failures, and the shift in perspective that happened.

If you could share the most valuable mental insight you've had as an entrepreneur, what would it be? For me, I think it would have to be this (something MJ talks about too):

• If you want to increase your wealth, stop paying attention to how you will make money, and focus on how you will help others, what they need and what value you can create for other people.
Learn from the lessons of those who did it and not trying to be too creative to reinvent the wheels.

The consensus more often than not is right not wrong.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe

freek

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
209%
Nov 17, 2022
Netherlands
A quote from Chris Williamson: "When things get tough, just remember, this is what hard feels like. Did you think it would be easy when you started? This is where most people give up, but not you. Your determination makes you different, and that's why you'll make it when others won't.

In simple terms, if you can handle the hard times, that's what sets you apart. Understand that the tough parts are part of the journey—they're supposed to happen. Now's your chance to show how much you really want it."

Spenny

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
These are the top three from my first year of diving head-first into entrepreneurship.
  1. Everything that surrounds you now has been made by humans. Every. Single. Thing. Someone behind that thing had to orchestrate many moving parts and translate an idea into reality. You can be that person.
  2. "What can I do to make a sale this week?". You cut the fluff, the postering & the lifestyle for what matters most - making something for which someone will exchange their money.
  3. Just-in-time learning is superior to generalised learning. 95% of a course will not apply to what you're trying to solve. Found a problem? Research it, get a specific solution, and increase the value of your proposition. That's the game - clients won't care that you learned CSS, Python, or CAD. They want results - now.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
These are the top three from my first year of diving head-first into entrepreneurship.
  1. Everything that surrounds you now has been made by humans. Every. Single. Thing. Someone behind that thing had to orchestrate many moving parts and translate an idea into reality. You can be that person.
  2. "What can I do to make a sale this week?". You cut the fluff, the postering & the lifestyle for what matters most - making something for which someone will exchange their money.
  3. Just-in-time learning is superior to generalised learning. 95% of a course will not apply to what you're trying to solve. Found a problem? Research it, get a specific solution, and increase the value of your proposition. That's the game - clients won't care that you learned CSS, Python, or CAD. They want results - now.

You've been piling on the Gold lately!

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Problems are stepping stones.

Expect problems.

Nay, *welcome* problems.

When you meet a new problem it means you're making progress.

When you're still talking about the same problem a month later then you're stuck.

David Fitz

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 30, 2020
Ireland
Thinking long term instead of short term.

You could be doing the right thing but you just haven't given it enough time to see results.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Most recent is learning to spend some money. Realizing things are more stable and I don't need to be so financially frugal or conservative.

It's an interesting mind switch when I spent years in super crunch mode making sure I was ultra smart with every dollar, and then realizing I don't really have to operate like that anymore.

Last edited:

Aidan04

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Apr 27, 2022
United States
Understanding that every person you see does not think the same way as you.

Reality is different for every human, and it is impossible to see through the lens of somebody else.

Acceptance, communication, and vulnerability are the most important things required to make people see things from your point of view.

SnowLava

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jul 7, 2023
India
It doesn’t matter what you think or what you feel — all that matters is how you act. Changed my entire philosophy about many different things, by downplaying the importance of your mind and thoughts.

Wrote about it here: https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...out-changing-your-thoughts-or-mindset.106227/
Isn't how you act governed by what/how you think about things?

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
Isn't how you act governed by what/how you think about things?
To a certain extent… I mean obviously if you have no consciousness and no interpretation you can’t act.

But what I’m talking about is, to give you a simple, short example, when you feel scared of cold calling, you don’t concern yourself with the fear (your feeling) or your thoughts “this will be terrible!!” — you just do it, regardless of what you think or feel.

Many people try to change their feelings/thoughts first before acting. I have found that to be virtually impossible — my thoughts and feelings are quite sticky and predominantly negative anyway.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
Most recent is learning to spend some money. Realizing things are more stable and I don't need to be so financially frugal or conservative.

It's an interesting mind switch when I spent years in super crunch mode making sure I was ultra smart with every dollar, and then realizing I don't really have to operate like that anymore.
If you want to shock yourself out of poverty mindset, go on a $50-60K 1-2 week vacation. Choose a luxury location. Take your fam. Go to the best hotel. Most expensive room. And enjoy.

That’s what I did at the peak with my first agency. Went to Crete, spent $50K (I would tip the waiters with $100 bills), got the best room, which was actually a villa within the resort with a private pool, and lazied around spending money without any restraint.

Guaranteed cure. Was it smart? No. But damn, it was fun! :rofl: The waiters thought I was a Russian oligarch…

SnowLava

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jul 7, 2023
India
I realised that nobody cares about the fact that I want to have great wealth etc. Everybody wants that.

Just because I know about fastlane, cents business framework , unscription etc. and haven't done anything, it makes me no better than the person who doesn't even know it.

perchboy

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Aug 7, 2022
Toronto, Canada
Flip a coin over and over and you will eventually land on heads.

I know for a fact that if I keep trying and failing in business I will one day succeed.

This gets rid of all my anxiety and fears. When things are going wrong and I feel doubt creeping in I can face it with a confident smile and know that it’s part of the journey.

Every time you flip the coin (take action) you will get closer to landing heads (success).

Panos Daras

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Oct 10, 2022
That’s what I did at the peak with my first agency. Went to Crete, spent $50K (I would tip the waiters with $100 bills), got the best room, which was actually a villa within the resort with a private pool, and lazied around spending money without any restraint.
Come again we miss you @Black_Dragon43!

luminis_

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Aug 27, 2022
This gets rid of all my anxiety and fears. When things are going wrong and I feel doubt creeping in I can face it with a confident smile and know that it’s part of the journey.
And it’s a great feeling to know you are in complete control. Instead of relying on luck or shiny objects, you “hack” it by piling on more and more volume

All else equals, the person who stops stopping will always win

DustinSaucier

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Jun 2, 2020
Gulfport, MS
Mine was the realization that I am responsible and accountable for the outcome of my life, period. MJ has mentioned a similar principle in his books, but specifically, I remember getting a gut punch when I read Jocko Willink's "Extreme Ownership." If you haven't read it, here is an excerpt I found of the blue-on-blue event that set the tone for the entire book. Read an excerpt from 'Extreme Ownership'

Even if there are people, forces, circumstances, etc. that you cannot control, you absolutely can control your response and actions. I cringe when I hear others make excuses for why they're broke, unhealthy, not successful, can't start a business, and on and on. It's the economy. It's the government. It's my family. It's the weather. It's gas prices. It's my favorite sports team that lost. It's Monday. It's never, "I spend hours watching Netflix or flipping through social media." It's never, "I spend more on ridiculous stuff rather than investing in myself." It's never anything other than someone or something else's fault. My mantra now? If I don't like something or want more in my life, whether small or big, I either work to do something about it or I shut up. That's not popular, but it has changed the way I think and approach all aspects of life.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Mine was the realization that I am responsible and accountable for the outcome of my life, period. MJ has mentioned a similar principle in his books, but specifically, I remember getting a gut punch when I read Jocko Willink's "Extreme Ownership." If you haven't read it, here is an excerpt I found of the blue-on-blue event that set the tone for the entire book. Read an excerpt from 'Extreme Ownership'

Even if there are people, forces, circumstances, etc. that you cannot control, you absolutely can control your response and actions. I cringe when I hear others make excuses for why they're broke, unhealthy, not successful, can't start a business, and on and on. It's the economy. It's the government. It's my family. It's the weather. It's gas prices. It's my favorite sports team that lost. It's Monday. It's never, "I spend hours watching Netflix or flipping through social media." It's never, "I spend more on ridiculous stuff rather than investing in myself." It's never anything other than someone or something else's fault. My mantra now? If I don't like something or want more in my life, whether small or big, I either work to do something about it or I shut up. That's not popular, but it has changed the way I think and approach all aspects of life.
Reminds me of the story of the business owner who had a note in his drawer that he took out when his management team would start pointing fingers at each other.

It said "It's my fault".

Then he'd get everyone to fix the problem and prevent it happening again.

DustinSaucier

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Jun 2, 2020
Gulfport, MS
Reminds me of the story of the business owner who had a note in his drawer that he took out when his management team would start pointing fingers at each other.

It said "It's my fault".

Then he'd get everyone to fix the problem and prevent it happening again.
I like that example, too. I owned a full-service restaurant from 2021 to February of this year (go ahead, tell me how crazy I was, lol), and I would often remind myself of that principle. It was brutal sometimes, but even with all the challenges, I pointed the finger back at myself. The interesting part? Family, friends, and even loyal customers had responses like: "Aww, this location is tough," "Employee quality isn't what it used to be," "It's the season," and more. Maybe, BUT who is responsible? The owner. I had to smile, thank them, and remind myself not to get too relaxed and feed into the sympathy. It's simple but not easy. Man, that period was a hell-of-a learning experience.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
P

Whatever happens, happens for a reason and it will serve me.

Once I realized it, I saw the world from a different perspective. Like another dimension opened and nothing ever was “bad news” or “good news”. None of that matters, you can’t tell what’s what without the distance of time passing.

Most recently, I had a business problem. From every angle it looked like terrible bad luck and just bad all around. But with the “whatever happens, happens for a reason and it’ll serve me” mindset, I was calm, collected and managed to turn this into the biggest opportunity of my business so far. People close to me gave me the ultimate compliment too, saying that few people could be as calm and effective in such stressful situation…

I have countless life examples of something “bad” happening that later turned out to serve me to something good and often great.

PetitBourgeoisie

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Aug 27, 2022
A comfortable routine is a dangerous friend.

... and its dangerous because its comfortable, its easy, and its good enough. Streamlined, habitual repetition, can lock you into a stagnant today, only ever dreaming of a tomorrow. Especially if it fulfills your basic needs.

To get that tomorrow, you need to innovate, you need to do something new, embrace the discomfort of breaking with routine. Whenever I've attained anything, in hindsight, it came from this.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.