The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

What SUCS about the Slowlane...

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

JustKris

Writing and talking, basically.
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Oct 16, 2012
In the mountains
You know the worst thing about working in the Slowlane? The lack of control in the quality of what you're selling.

The place where I work now has a decent product, but there are so many problems that keep plaguing the company without an end in sight.

And it's so frustrating to have a customer call in and not be able to help them. Or talking to the founders about some critical problem and have them shrug and go "Yeah, I don't know what we can do."

I don't know many times I've illustrated how these problems are costing hundreds of thousands in revenue and even brought in solutions----only to hear "We can't deal with that yet." Meanwhile, they've dropped $250,000 on some completely unrelated app that has nothing to do with the core business and has ZERO users.

You can't give that Superior Unexpected Customer Service when your company is riddled with product flaws, process deficiencies, and people who just don't give a shit.

I hate it. And this is my "f*ck this" moment.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jun 3, 2015
You know the worst thing about working in the Slowlane? The lack of control in the quality of what you're selling.

The place where I work now has a decent product, but there are so many problems that keep plaguing the company without an end in sight.

And it's so frustrating to have a customer call in and not be able to help them. Or talking to the founders about some critical problem and have them shrug and go "Yeah, I don't know what we can do."

I don't know many times I've illustrated how these problems are costing hundreds of thousands in revenue and even brought in solutions----only to hear "We can't deal with that yet." Meanwhile, they've dropped $250,000 on some completely unrelated app that has nothing to do with the core business and has ZERO users.

You can't give that Superior Unexpected Customer Service when your company is riddled with product flaws, process deficiencies, and people who just don't give a shit.

I hate it. And this is my "f*ck this" moment.

Is there a chance you can become their competitor? Use the contacts and knowledge you have and strike out on your own, taking some of their disgruntled ex-clients with you.

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ

Ding ding ding! Opportunity!

v0lume4

New Contributor
May 1, 2017
Greenville, SC
Is there a chance you can become their competitor? Use the contacts and knowledge you have and strike out on your own, taking some of their disgruntled ex-clients with you.
Sounds like what my father did with his business. He was a saleman for a company, made them boatloads of money, and when his boss screwed him out of thousands ($10,000+) of dollars, he realized, "Wait. Why am I bringing in sales (money) for this crappy boss when I can have the whole cake?" He went out on his own and now he gets to keep all of the profits.

OP -- Not saying that this strategy works for everyone/all industries, but just some food for thought.

UncommonWay

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
May 9, 2011
Pennsylvania, USA
That's a good place to be in, having the skill that's needed (sales) to make the rest of the business happen. The boss "won" in the short run, but he screwed himself out of long-term gains by killing to golden goose with his greed. Good salesmen are the sine qua non of business.

Sounds like what my father did with his business. He was a saleman for a company, made them boatloads of money, and when his boss screwed him out of thousands ($10,000+) of dollars, he realized, "Wait. Why am I bringing in sales (money) for this crappy boss when I can have the whole cake?" He went out on his own and now he gets to keep all of the profits.

OP -- Not saying that this strategy works for everyone/all industries, but just some food for thought.

JustKris

Writing and talking, basically.
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Oct 16, 2012
In the mountains

It would be extremely expensive (prob at least $200k) and require partnering with some outside companies. Though a couple of clients actually did just do this...because they were so upset with the service. They went out and built a similar software platform and partnered with a competitor.

But on the upside, I did learn enough to create a course based on the growth hacking strategies I used to double their new business. Almost done with the first draft now.

And there might be some Fastlane potential in solving the systemic problems they have, since some similar companies are experiencing the same thing.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2021
Yeah, your youtube channel is incredible and all the videos I have seen so far are really great...
FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
Finally! I just launched a short story on Kindle (FREE if you have Kindle Unlimited)! After...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
I planned to make a separate post for this video but it is useful here as well for anyone...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
Last promo of the year.. Get the training you need now or miss it. Promo Code: FINALHOUR...
MARKETPLACE Kill Bigger Incubator
UPDATED POST: Hey Guys! I wanted to give a quick update on what this program has become. In...
MARKETPLACE Grow Your Business With a Book (An Unorthodox Marketing Strategy That Built One of the Largest...
Are you looking for a new, lesser-known but potentially very lucrative source of leads to your...

Forum Sponsor

sponsor

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom