The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What Name Is Better For SEO?

Marketing, social media, advertising

GetShitDone

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Dec 20, 2012
Canada
I'm on the verge of making my eCommerce business go live and I've bought the domain and decided on a name.

Just one issue.

When I type my business name into Google, it comes up with 135,000 results.

HOWEVER, if I replace the "s" in my business with a "z" and Google it, only 2,910 results come up.

An example is replacing "kiss" with "kizz". It doesn't look as good, but it would dominate SEO easily when someone Googled it.

Would you go with the "z" for SEO advantage or the "s" for a nicer looking name and working your way up SEO?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
SEO typically means ranking for a keyword in order to benefit from the traffic that already exists. If this is what you're after go with s.

1. 135k isn't a lot of competition for broad keyword searches
2. A simple name is easier to remember. Easier to type in. Thus boosting your rankings when they click on you
3. More competition could mean more people are searching. Take advantage of an existing traffic stream rather than building up your own.

Bonus: Don't rely on SEO as your main income source. If Google decides to change their algorithm, you're SOL. Or a competitor comes along and delists/blacklists your domain.

If you just want to make it easy for people to find you when searching, without having to put in work, z.

I do this with one of my sites that doesn't rely on search traffic for sales. But potential customers will dig up a background, so only needing to do on-page SEO and returning no.1 is great.

GetShitDone

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Dec 20, 2012
Canada
SEO typically means ranking for a keyword in order to benefit from the traffic that already exists. If this is what you're after go with s.

1. 135k isn't a lot of competition for broad keyword searches
2. A simple name is easier to remember. Easier to type in. Thus boosting your rankings when they click on you
3. More competition could mean more people are searching. Take advantage of an existing traffic stream rather than building up your own.

Bonus: Don't rely on SEO as your main income source. If Google decides to change their algorithm, you're SOL. Or a competitor comes along and delists/blacklists your domain.

If you just want to make it easy for people to find you when searching, without having to put in work, z.

I do this with one of my sites that doesn't rely on search traffic for sales. But potential customers will dig up a background, so only needing to do on-page SEO and returning no.1 is great.

Good to know that 135k isn't a lot of competition. The name itself is unique and not exactly a typical broad search. I can get some PR/blog mentions in to rise to the top I'd imagine.

I just want people to make it easy to find me is all. Not going to rely on SEO/PPC.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Consider that anytime you pronounce your name, people will misspell it - even if you specifically tell them it's with a z.

Google will likely auto-correct your z to an s as well and include those results like it does with any other misspelling.

I would personally go with easy to remember for the customers over SEO advantage. Especially if you have faith that your product/service is a quality one - it should rise to the top on that merit alone without playing name games.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
The ZZ might be more brandable, but I don't think it would have an impact on SEO, at least, positively. In fact, it might make things worse because your domain name is missing a default search term.

So you might lose out on normal searches for the term, people who don't know about the ZZ variant.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.