The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What is the best way to deal with doubters ?

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

Michael Greene

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Jun 2, 2015
Detroit
Yo guys,

Quick question....When you encounter doubters..and dream-killers..etc. How do you respond? I mean people that try to tell you you're goals or dreams are unrealistic. I'm not just asking for advice, i want to know how you guys deal with it personally ?

Thanks

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Sully1994

Business Development @ Sprout Social
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
321%
Nov 5, 2016
Chicago
Only take the advice of people who live the type of life you aspire to have. Losers will always says things they haven't accomplished aren't "possible". Cut them out of your life
Yo guys,

Quick question....When you encounter doubters..and dream-killers..etc. How do you respond? I mean people that try to tell you you're goals or dreams are unrealistic. I'm not just asking for advice, i want to know how you guys deal with it personally ?

Thanks

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
The short answer is, just don't be those people.

The long answer is, people who care about you, are probably giving you the best advice from their perspective and experience. For example, your mother may want you to take the "safest" route. She may articulate this as a positive "Please take the safe route!", or a negative, "You're route sucks!". Other people will view your beliefs as threats to their own. For example, a "frenemy" will tell you that you will fail, because encouraging you will reveal their own lack of initiative. Some people have a need to be right, and if 99% of the people fail, then they think they have a 99% chance of being right, by telling you that you will fail. For these people, winning an argument is more important than improving their own lives. There are also sadists, people who get a thrill out of inflicting pain on others. Not much you can do about them, their lives are their own punishment. Some people seem to take a crap on other people, because someone took a crap on them. It makes them feel like the world is in balance. They are not bad people, they just think it is "fair" because it is how they were treated. Understand these people's beliefs do not control you, unless you let them.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
Only take the advice of people who live the type of life you aspire to have. Losers will always says things they haven't accomplished aren't "possible". Cut them out of your life

That is good advice, but there are plenty of "pretend successes" who are willing to give you their "advice".

I've almost never heard someone who is a verifiable self-made success take a shit on someone else. They are usually too busy taking care of business. The most successful people I have known, have been very kind to people, especially strangers.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
The fact that this bothers you is a sign that (deep down) part of you is doubting yourself.

+1

The problem is not other people doubting you. The problem is you doubting yourself.

If people are telling you that your dreams are unrealistic, what does that say about you?

Do you take action? Do you get things done?

Do you believe in yourself?

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
Yo guys,

Thanks

the answer : don't care

because caring make you spend your energy for stupid things

jesus.jpg

" resist not evil" does not mean you are a coward. it means that stupid things don't need your attention

this is not easy to do. you have to train.

thehighlander

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Dec 31, 2016
California
I consider the source. I ask, "Does this person know what they're talking about? Does their opinion hold any weight? Do they have a track record on this topic?"

There is a difference between doubters, who really suck and should be ignored, and competent people who are offering solid advice.

bitcoins

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 28, 2017
USA
Most people just want to pull you down. That's why you'll lose some friends and contacts as you move on up in the world. They want things to remain the same, to sit forever and lay comfortably numb while the world around them changes and progresses. If you spend too much of your energy caring about what others think, you're losing precious time that you could spend on yourself. Compare only to your past self, and see whether you're on a path of progression or degeneration. Which one will you choose?

V8Bill

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Feb 9, 2012
Australia
First thing I do is lower their rank.

Second thing I do is laugh out loud directly at them as if they're making some kind of stupid joke.

Third thing I do is (preferably while they're looking straight at me) I get a sudden serious look on my face to convey my horror and ask "you don't ACTUALLY believe that do you?!". Then I laugh some more to convey my amazement that anyone would say such a stupid thing and that they MUST be joking - surely.

If they get or feel or act insulted - GOOD! That's how they wanted me to feel so I just load that emotion into my guns and shoot them right back in the face with it. The best ending is to turn and talk to someone else or just walk away.

My favourite is "no one ever makes money on the stock market." - cue lol.

Michael Greene

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Jun 2, 2015
Detroit
+1

The problem is not other people doubting you. The problem is you doubting yourself.

If people are telling you that your dreams are unrealistic, what does that say about you?

Do you take action? Do you get things done?

Do you believe in yourself?

That was kind of a wake up call. I guess nothing other people say really says anything about me lol. I do take actions and i get things done, but i'm sure i could be doing more and this is probably why.

Michael Greene

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Jun 2, 2015
Detroit
First thing I do is lower their rank.

Second thing I do is laugh out loud directly at them as if they're making some kind of stupid joke.

Third thing I do is (preferably while they're looking straight at me) I get a sudden serious look on my face to convey my horror and ask "you don't ACTUALLY believe that do you?!". Then I laugh some more to convey my amazement that anyone would say such a stupid thing and that they MUST be joking - surely.

If they get or feel or act insulted - GOOD! That's how they wanted me to feel so I just load that emotion into my guns and shoot them right back in the face with it. The best ending is to turn and talk to someone else or just walk away.

My favourite is "no one ever makes money on the stock market." - cue lol.

lmfao thank you for this, this made me laugh out loud.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.