The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What inconvenienced you today?

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
unable to find enough vendors to supply cad (revit, solidedge) services (product design, steel detailing, buildings)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Anyone see some problems lately?
Yeah. I'm on crutches after knee surgery, and the physical therapist says it will be 6 to 8 more weeks -- from today -- not the month-ago surgery date. Ug! That makes everything harder to get done.

The supply chain is SO broken. I've been trying to get supplies and building materials. They may get here at the end of next spring.

We're into fall here. The leaves are turning yellow and crimson. Yesterday we have bunch of rain squalls move through and few had some pretty large hail stone that fell on us. My guys were out building the frame for a shed roof over one of my units. We sure need to get that one and at least one more done before the first snow. The summer was way too short.

And, and, and... I'm usually cheerful. Today I just need to take a deep breath and do something fun.

YoungPadawan

Miles to go before I sleep
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Nov 7, 2015
Yeah. I'm on crutches after knee surgery, and the physical therapist says it will be 6 to 8 more weeks -- from today -- not the month-ago surgery date. Ug! That makes everything harder to get done.

The supply chain is SO broken. I've been trying to get supplies and building materials. They may get here at the end of next spring.

We're into fall here. The leaves are turning yellow and crimson. Yesterday we have bunch of rain squalls move through and few had some pretty large hail stone that fell on us. My guys were out building the frame for a shed roof over one of my units. We sure need to get that one and at least one more done before the first snow. The summer was way too short.

And, and, and... I'm usually cheerful. Today I just need to take a deep breath and do something fun.
I agree about the supply chain being severely broken right now. My parents have been trying to buy a vehicle, but apparently, there is a chip manufacturing upset in the supply chain, so dealerships have very limited stock available.

Also, I was trying to get 2" PVC pipe for a plumbing project at my house recently. I went to 3 different places and they didn't have any because the supply chain has been so messed up. I mean, come on! 2" PVC should be a pretty standard product to have available!

D

Deleted85763

What problem did you run into today? Did something inconvenience you?

I'm going to start posting every inconvenience I come across even if it's dumb. I want to get better at seeing problems and needs, feel free to do the same.
Car traffic! I ride a bicycle everywhere and I just hate cars. They're so wasteful in everyway and dangerous. I saw a bad accident today and last week. I wish everyone would replace their car with a bicycle but that's not going top happen here in the US! Life would be wonderful without cars. Think of the savings and reductions in healthcare, air, water and noise pollution. Increased productivity. Happiness!

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma

Two time knee surgery veteran here and wish you the best of luck with recovery. You seem like the type that won't let much slow you down so please be careful!

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Two time knee surgery veteran here and wish you the best of luck with recovery. You seem like the type that won't let much slow you down so please be careful!
Thanks. I'm trying to go slow, but I'm a busy girl. And these crutches sure suck. It was an ACL repair, along with some other stuff, so it's taking a bit of time to get back on my feet. How long did it take you get back to doing your life again?

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
Thanks. I'm trying to go slow, but I'm a busy girl. And these crutches sure suck. It was an ACL repair, along with some other stuff, so it's taking a bit of time to get back on my feet. How long did it take you get back to doing your life again?

I was ACL too with a meniscus repair (not shaving off) which was the problem as they fixed at same time. So with meniscus I was bedridden for almost a full month and six months total PT. But my understanding ACL alone is much easier healing time and also mine was 14 years ago and the tech is probably way better.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
I was ACL too with a meniscus repair (not shaving off) which was the problem as they fixed at same time. So with meniscus I was bedridden for almost a full month and six months total PT. But my understanding ACL alone is much easier healing time and also mine was 14 years ago and the tech is probably way better.
They did the ACL -- replaced the tendon, and a meniscus repair for a tear -- at the same time. It was about a month ago. I was completely down on my back for 2 weeks -- then finally able to be up on crutches. You said you were down for a month. 2 weeks was enough for me. The PT says at least 4 to 8 more weeks of crutches, and that's a problem. We'll have snow by then. To add insult to injury, I couldn't go hunting or berry picking like we usually do this time of year. And I'm home most of the time with my knee up. Thanks for your reply. You've given me hope that will all get better. It's been harder than I thought I it would be. I guess I'll just have to put up with for that 6 months.

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
They did the ACL -- replaced the tendon, and a meniscus repair for a tear -- at the same time. It was about a month ago. I was completely down on my back for 2 weeks -- then finally able to be up on crutches. You said you were down for a month. 2 weeks was enough for me. The PT says at least 4 to 8 more weeks of crutches, and that's a problem. We'll have snow by then. To add insult to injury, I couldn't go hunting or berry picking like we usually do this time of year. And I'm home most of the time with my knee up. Thanks for your reply. You've given me hope that will all get better. It's been harder than I thought I it would be. I guess I'll just have to put up with for that 6 months.

I was on my back for probably a good 3 weeks and than the last week was very slow mo. I remember at 5 weeks having a big leap of mobility. I cant remember how long total with crutches but it was a few months. I could imagine your lifestyle up there in Alaska being a person of always doing something at all times being so hard, but the same things that make you tick and thrive up there will get you through it.

I do have a great story the following year when one of my star athletes on a volleyball team I was coaching had ACL surgery. Six months later she won MVP of a big tournament with only being cleared to come back a few weeks before. She told me the entire time of her recovery she visualized being on that stage getting that award and she crushed it to earn it.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
I was on my back for probably a good 3 weeks and than the last week was very slow mo. I remember at 5 weeks having a big leap of mobility. I cant remember how long total with crutches but it was a few months. I could imagine your lifestyle up there in Alaska being a person of always doing something at all times being so hard, but the same things that make you tick and thrive up there will get you through it.

I do have a great story the following year when one of my star athletes on a volleyball team I was coaching had ACL surgery. Six months later she won MVP of a big tournament with only being cleared to come back a few weeks before. She told me the entire time of her recovery she visualized being on that stage getting that award and she crushed it to earn it.
That's a great story. I'm glad that your better. I find that fact to be very encouraging. This last month has been very hard for me.

My motivation was a lot more basic. I had to go to my office to collected my rents from all of my tenants for the first few days of the month. And we have jobs going. I'm the general (planner) and I do the legalistic. Today they had to have more nails for the nail guns to continue building a shed roof over a rental unit -- so I drove to town and I came back with the nails. And over this last month, there were bills to pay, checks to write, and paperwork to do. You see, I must get better. I have a lot of people counting on me.

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria

Oh, get well soon!

I had several ACL repairs in my life. Be carefull! The material, they use to substitute the ACL is very weak about 2-3 months after the surgery. Only after 14 months it has a similar strength to an ACL.
So if you don’t have your fortune addicted to sports, take yourself time before using the ACL substitute hard!
I swam 30 minutes every day the mon after the open injury itself healed.
After 3 months begin to make jump training! There are good videos on YT.
I was on sick leave for 3 months, after that I insisted on working again.

So I think, you can do everything, but be careful!
And: it will never be the same as before, but you can learn to arrange with it.

The broken supply chain is awful. It shows, how breakable our modern life is.

Last edited:

maximusharrison

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Jul 1, 2021

I'm going to start posting every inconvenience I come across even if it's dumb. I want to get better at seeing problems and needs, feel free to do the same.
Caution: This might sound like a petty rant. But please bear with me.

I'm so frustrated whether I should still do business with a friend or will it just ruin our friendship. A friend approached me if I could have a joint business with him (which I don't mind at all) so I said yes months ago. The business we were thinking of is something similar to this mid-century furniture store. (Linked it so you'll have an idea of my frustration lol) so we've had a lot of back and forths, it was pretty smooth at first, we've identified the suppliers, process, fulfilment and everything which is a good start right? And last week was the day we'll connect the dots, figure out our first action and so on. We figured getting started with the suppliers, sorting out the contracts, permits and more, creating the website and plotting our a marketing plan. We divided it into two equal parts, I'm in charge of marketing/branding/website and he's in charge of the operations side.

So yesterday I pinged him for updates, I told him for marketing let's start with the website first just so we can have something to show and we can encrypt/unpublish it in the meantime. I had a friend who was a backend developer so it was a breeze getting one. When I called him today, he said he found a backend engineer. I told him that a backend developer is different from a backend engineer. Although they have some overlaps still a backend developer or often called a web developer might be a perfect fit now since we're not really building an app. He insisted that we hire a backend engineer. So I sent him this comparison article Backend Engineer vs. Backend Developer: Skills, roles, and responsibilities. I don't know if I did something wrong but he lashed out at me out of nowhere and didn't answer my texts or call. I felt like I was dealing with a 5 year-old having tantrums.

Until today, no response or whatsoever. Idk if I should be the better person, suck it up and let him do his thing or stick to what I believe is better.

UGH.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
Car traffic! I ride a bicycle everywhere and I just hate cars. They're so wasteful in everyway and dangerous. I saw a bad accident today and last week. I wish everyone would replace their car with a bicycle but that's not going top happen here in the US! Life would be wonderful without cars. Think of the savings and reductions in healthcare, air, water and noise pollution. Increased productivity. Happiness!
India basically drives scooters. You got the point about accidents.

I'm so frustrated whether I should still do business with a friend or will it just ruin our friendship.
Some say that people who are married and want to be happy with it, should avoid working together.
Take a hint.

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
I don't know if I did something wrong but he lashed out at me out of nowhere and didn't answer my texts or call. I felt like I was dealing with a 5 year-old having tantrums.

Until today, no response or whatsoever. Idk if I should be the better person, suck it up and let him do his thing or stick to what I believe is better.

UGH.

That is pretty scary, what is gonna happen when the chit really gets rough with the business?

I have a silent business partner who is a friend. Everything is still intact after 5 years, but it has changed our friendship and its something I dont want to go through again.

D

Deleted85763

I'm so frustrated whether I should still do business with a friend or will it just ruin our friendship. A friend approached me if I could have a joint business with him (which I don't mind at all) so I said yes months ago. The business we were thinking of is something similar to this mid-century furniture store. (Linked it so you'll have an idea of my frustration lol) so we've had a lot of back and forths, it was pretty smooth at first, we've identified the suppliers, process, fulfilment and everything which is a good start right? And last week was the day we'll connect the dots, figure out our first action and so on. We figured getting started with the suppliers, sorting out the contracts, permits and more, creating the website and plotting our a marketing plan. We divided it into two equal parts, I'm in charge of marketing/branding/website and he's in charge of the operations side.

So yesterday I pinged him for updates, I told him for marketing let's start with the website first just so we can have something to show and we can encrypt/unpublish it in the meantime. I had a friend who was a backend developer so it was a breeze getting one. When I called him today, he said he found a backend engineer. I told him that a backend developer is different from a backend engineer. Although they have some overlaps still a backend developer or often called a web developer might be a perfect fit now since we're not really building an app. He insisted that we hire a backend engineer. So I sent him this comparison article Backend Engineer vs. Backend Developer: Skills, roles, and responsibilities. I don't know if I did something wrong but he lashed out at me out of nowhere and didn't answer my texts or call. I felt like I was dealing with a 5 year-old having tantrums.

UGH.
Running a business with a friend or anyone for that matter seems like it may be beneficial to both and fun but it often leads to disagreements and trouble, sooner than later. The main issue is the one you have now - whose decision to follow. Some businesses with friends can survive and even prosper; look at Microsoft or the Rolling Stones. But I've seen ones that didn't.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Having to find and *resend* loads of receipts to my accountant. What a pita.

Having to go into Freshbooks to download reports for my accountant because the system won’t let her log in via an accountant user I setup for her. Why have that functionality if it doesn’t work?

Great idea for a thread.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Oh, get well soon!

I had several ACL repairs in my life. Be carefull! The material, they use to substitute the ACL is very weak about 2-3 months after the surgery. Only after 14 months it has a similar strength to an ACL.
So if you don’t have your fortune addicted to sports, take yourself time before using the ACL substitute hard!

Thanks for the advice. I thought I was just being a wimp when I was totally down for those two weeks and then barely up on my crutches for the last 2 weeks.

Our public pool is down for yearly maintenance until the end of the month, but I'll sure go when they get open again. I usually water walk and do exercises. I'm an old lady, so I'm sure not into doing heavy sports. But, I do love to get out and walk our trails around here. Usually my husband and I would riding around in our Argo or Trackster to go hunting and berry picking this time of year. My PT said no for right now, so we canceled our trip for next week.

My PT told me about the problem with the implant being weak for a while before it gets stronger. I guess I should take him more seriously. I promise... I'll be good...

The broken supply chains are really plaguing me right now. I was able to find some sheet rubber roofing for a couple of our rental units -- but no splicing adhesive to install it. So, I finally found some roofing tape so we can get by for now...

I go to town and many of the shelves are simply empty. I've been buying what I can find and putting those supplies in our back stock and repair kits. I can't count on supplies being available when we need them. A lot of mechanical equipment/appliances, and their parts, are in very short supply such as tank-less water heaters, furnaces, kitchen ranges, fridges and dishwashers.

OleksiyRybakov

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Aug 25, 2021
Germany
Today, my TikTok video got banned because I recommended people to invest into cryptocurrency.
=> Create an AI resembling the TikTok algorithm to make automated shadow-bans impossible if your video passes the AI checks.

BlackSuperman

What Legacy Will You Leave Behind?
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
341%
Sep 6, 2020
United States
My client sent out an email newsletter but modified my copy.

Resulted in less engagaement than anticipated.

My fault for not communicating the importance of how specific language can result in higher...results!

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska

UGH.
Owning a business together is like sharing living space. It can really break up a good friendship.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Oh, get well soon!

Thanks for the advice. I thought I was just being a wimp when I was totally down for those two weeks and then barely up on my crutches for the last 2 weeks.

Our public pool is down for yearly maintenance until the end of the month, but I'll sure go when they get open again. I usually water walk and do exercises. I'm an old lady, so I'm sure not into doing heavy sports. But, I do love to get out and walk our trails around here. Usually my husband and I would riding in our Argo or Trackster to go hunting and berry picking this time of year. My PT said no for this year.

My PT told me about the problem with the implant being weak for a while before it gets stronger again. I promise, I'll be good.

The broken supply chains are really plaguing me right now. I was able to find some sheet rubber roofing for a couple of our rental units -- but no splicing adhesive to install it. So, I finally found some roofing tape so we can get by for now...

I go to town and many of the shelves are simply empty. I've been buying what I can find and putting those supplies in our back stock and repair kits. I can't count on supplies being available when we need them. A lot of mechanical equipment/appliances, and their parts, are in very short supply such as tank-less water heaters, furnaces, kitchen ranges, fridges and dishwashers.

B.Cotter

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Apr 23, 2020
Northern VA
I'm so frustrated whether I should still do business with a friend...
Not sure if this is an actual quote from someone well known or not, but I've seen a meme floating around lately stating "Ignoring red flags because you want to see the good in people will cost you later."

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.

The suggestion I get the vaccine. The Chaos and Confusion of this whole thing has people divided around me. It's just sad we have to make this choice and people feel your endangering others lives whether you have it or don't have it, and it seems kind of "Old" already. We shouldn't have to make this choice in the first place.

Seamster

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
May 21, 2019
The Rust Belt; MI
I'm in Clarksville, TN for the week, visiting a good friend who will be transferred to another location in a few weeks.

Well, rain my whole time here, so no trips to do things in Nashville today. So I went to a local diner (Kelly's Burgers) for breakfast food and ordered the peanut butter pie. Great burgers there but the pie was gross!! I took one bite and boxed it up. Maybe my friend will eat it. Then, I came in this here library to sit down and my pinky nails got too long, scratching on the SHIFT keys. So I had run on to the car in the rain to clip my nails.

Such a hard life I live :)

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Not going to lie — this is one of my biggest fears! I hope it's fixed soon.
I sure hear you!!!!!

I lost some huge external hard drives over the last couple of years. They crashed and burned. A young friend has recently showed me that I need to disconnect them from the computer before I pull the plug on them. (These losses were probably user error.) Yes, I have a lot of stuff on the cloud, but my computer life goes back way before we had the cloud. It's been frustrating to put it mildly.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.