The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What does your days look like?

Skys

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Dec 20, 2011
The Netherlands
The folks who are working 9-5 and/or those who are broke are very unhappy isn't because they have jobs or they're broke.

It's because they lack focus in life. They don't have deep concentration or mindfulness to really see ahead of themselves. It's like walking in a dark tunnel without a light ahead, with nothing to focus on. And they are lost. They're drifting aimlessly in life, not knowing what to do. They also don't know themselves.

So, because somebody works 9 till 5 they lack focus in life? That's extremely short sighted. Probably a young boys perspective.

Plus

They don't have deep concentration or mindfulness to really see ahead of themselves.

You do understand that mindfullness and 'seeing ahead of themselves' is kind of a contradiction, right?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
G

GuestUser8117

Not pointing out anyone, but just because you have read The millionaire fastlane and that you are on this forum doesn't mean you're a Fastlaner. At least admit that you are a slowlaner/sidewalker. You can tell pretty easily in which category one belongs just by the posts the member made. Fastlaners : Kak, Vigilante, Runum, Mj, Biophase, zen*******, jack edwards, etc. Those guys are the real ones. A fastlaner would have dump the job to pursue his venture(s). You can't be focused if you have to go to work 40-50 hours a week. With all the groceries and chores and sleep, your time is very limited. And you don't have the energy, don't you?

And of course I've tried starting starting some businesses. I had an financial app in mind, was learning how to program but got bored as hell with the coding and the numbers. I wanted to get my brand of coffee out there which would have been called Omerta or Dolce vita. Something italian. Contacted some coffee suppliers in Ethiopia or via Coffee forums, talked with importers, research coffee blends,etc. Real estate, used to network with investors and they call me sometimes for opportunities. My answer is usually : "No, thanks.", "I'm not willing to take the risk" or "I don't know the market". Selling fitness supplements online, but the barrier to entry was low. There was a lot of more knowledgable competitors than me. I quickly lost focus and motivation on all of these. I had other things in mind, I wanted to meet girls, play golf...Which lead me to inertia.

Like MJ DeMarco said, the fastlane is not something you try, it's something you live. Unfortunately, I fail to understand that.

S

stranger

Random question. Curious to know how your typical day look like. As for me I do pretty much the same things everyday lol. Maybe that's not good.

I wake up at 10-11. Sometimes stay in bed a little longer. make coffee, breakfast while browsing the fastlane forum, shower.

After Go walk 30-40 minutes near the river or go downtown or hike in the mountains some days. 1-2 pm is usually lunch time.

2-3 pm, I read some magazines on real estate or travelling or a book in the backyard.

3-4 pm , learn guitar/violin techniques, improve my playing.

4-6 pm, cook, eat, talk with my family, wash the dishes.

6-7 pm, call friends if they wanna hang out or play pool, otherwise I go on the computer, educate myself or work on my projects. When I'm tired of the screen, I go lie in my bed and do some introspection, write in a journal, or listen to music. Sometimes read.

After if I'm hungry I might go out eat something or go get a scotch at a bar. Then come home, and get to sleep. In short, I do pretty much what the F*ck I want. However I find I don't have enough diversification in my life. Working on that.

Let's hear about you.
WOW. Sounds like you've reached everything in your life already.

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
Vigilante, Runum, Mj, Biophase, zen*******, jack edwards, etc. Those guys are the real ones. A fastlaner would have dump the job to pursue his venture(s). You can't be focused if you have to go to work 40-50 hours a week.

It's true that all of the individuals mentioned have exceptional things to be proud of. But I'd bet just about anything their success didn't come from living in Mommy and Daddy's house whille they played at business and looked down on those who work for a living.

IMO, anyone who works 8-5 to support their family while pursuing fastlane ventures on the side has nothing to be ashamed of. True, it's not ideal, but unless you're self-supporting, you're not in any position to judge.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Fastlaners : Kak, Vigilante, Runum, Mj, Biophase, zen*******, jack edwards, etc. Those guys are the real ones. A fastlaner would have dump the job to pursue his venture(s). You can't be focused if you have to go to work 40-50 hours a week. With all the groceries and chores and sleep, your time is very limited. And you don't have the energy, don't you?

Hmm, you are aware that I do have a job, correct?

G

GuestUser8117

Hmm, you are aware that I do have a job, correct?

Yes! You are a teacher for kids right? But you said you tried retired once and I think you made your "fortune" in REI, correct? I don't know if you're a millionaire but you do sound like a successful person.

Lol this thread is getting huge. And I didn't start it to brag about my life but to stimulate discussion.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Yes! You are a teacher for kids right? But you said you tried retired once and I think you made your "fortune" in REI, correct? I don't know if you're a millionaire but you do sound like a successful person.

Yes, I teach kids in a very poor school district. But it takes 40-50 hours a week during the school year, and I still have to manage the biz stuff.

I have made some money in REI and have done OK. Almost lost it all a couple of times. My wife and I worked about 90 hours a week for the entire month of June 2012 and most of July to save our business. It was good to recover but it took a lot of dedicated effort.

There was time for leisure and quality time AFTER the tough work.

This summer is much better. We leave Tuesday for a holiday with some high level thinkers and doers. Our second trip like this in a month.

We worked HARD first to be able to do this stuff now.

Fastlane is about putting yourself into a position to have choices.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
IMO, anyone who works 8-5 to support their family while pursuing fastlane ventures on the side has nothing to be ashamed of.

Absolutely. Some of them are single moms to boot which is absolutely commendable.

This thread kinda reminds me of some of the silver spoon trust fund babies that spend their days bragging on Instagram how rich they are when they're nothing but adult children who haven't accomplished a damn thing except being a professional parasite; sucking off mommy and daddy's teat. It's not something I'd be bragging about.

Lol this thread is getting huge.

I was going to ask that you post less and read more as these types of posts can make the forum look ridiculous; however it has inspired some interesting conversation so I'll hold my recommendation in queue for a later time.

FionaS

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Sep 12, 2011
Anchorage, AK
To be honest, this thread has inspired me.

Before I wrote out my schedule, I felt I did an okay amount of work. Not only that, I felt like I was running around all day working my a$$ off.

Looking at my schedule more carefully, however, I realize that's not the case.

I can feed my daughter one handed.
My son wakes up late.
I spend more time surfing the internet than I thought...
and my phone is really quite capable of getting things done.

Sure, I may only have a hour or so each day of totally uninterrupted time (which is usually used to take a shower), but I have plenty of time while I'm rocking my daughter in her bassinet, or playing fetch or watching a TV show with my son. My phone makes this all even easier. And when all else fails, an audio book works great as well. The times when I really need to work without distraction aren't many at this point, and having someone watch the kids is occasionally an option if necessary, as is working on a couple less hours of sleep a couple times a week as needed.

If I really think about it, I kinda feel like one of those 'parasites' MJ mentioned. Sure, I'm watching the kids, but my husband is supporting us all, working very long hours (he's not even coming home for two months, getting his butt kicked at Ranger School) while I'm playing around at home. If he can do what he does, the least I can do is do my best to make his life easier and help us all live a little bit more comfortable and live the lives that we want to have for ourselves and for our kids.

So, thanks for the motivation. This post is far too long, I'm going to try to get something done. Gotta work hard if I want to succeed.

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
Like MJ DeMarco said, the fastlane is not something you try, it's something you live. Unfortunately, I fail to understand that.

Clearly.

You must stop wasting so much time (see your entire daily routine currently) and start taking more action towards some sort of fastlane business. Based on what you have mentioned above...

And of course I've tried starting starting some businesses. I had an financial app in mind, was learning how to program but got bored as hell with the coding and the numbers. I wanted to get my brand of coffee out there which would have been called Omerta or Dolce vita. Something italian. Contacted some coffee suppliers in Ethiopia or via Coffee forums, talked with importers, research coffee blends,etc. Real estate, used to network with investors and they call me sometimes for opportunities. My answer is usually : "No, thanks.", "I'm not willing to take the risk" or "I don't know the market". Selling fitness supplements online, but the barrier to entry was low. There was a lot of more knowledgable competitors than me. I quickly lost focus and motivation on all of these. I had other things in mind, I wanted to meet girls, play golf...Which lead me to inertia.

and based on what others have said before me, you have no motivation to join the fastlane because your family pays all your expenses. You have no motivation so you waste time 24/7. Until you get motivation either by being cut off, kicked out or other financial motivation to succeed you will forever waste time and accomplish nothing.

You need to light a fire under your a$$ while you have these ideal circumstances (no expenses)

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
If I really think about it, I kinda feel like one of those 'parasites' MJ mentioned.

No way you're a parasite. Being a stay-at-home parent is a tough job, especially when kids are little. The pay stinks, but the rewards are worth it. Not just today, but years down the road.

Part of the reason we don't have more money today is that because we went to one income nine years ago so my husband could be a stay-at-home Dad until our son started school. It was the best money and time-investment we ever spent.

AmyQ

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 5, 2013
It's true that all of the individuals mentioned have exceptional things to be proud of. But I'd bet just about anything their success didn't come from living in Mommy and Daddy's house whille they played at business and looked down on those who work for a living.

IMO, anyone who works 8-5 to support their family while pursuing fastlane ventures on the side has nothing to be ashamed of. True, it's not ideal, but unless you're self-supporting, you're not in any position to judge.

Exactly. Freedom isn't free. It is usually purchased with responsibility. I wasn't able to quit my job until my husband's business generated enough income for us to assume personal responsibility for every dollar that came into our home. Last week, we went to Chicago, stayed in the gold coast, and ate at four Michelin restaurants. The freedom take that time off and spend that money was purchased with the responsibility of being the source of income for a number of families/people we employ to keep our business running even when we aren't there. I would never look down on the people that we employ or anyone who has a job and is taking responsibility for themselves. Successful entrepreneurs need to have respect for people in the slowlane/sidewalk as they are often our employees and our customers. We have been able to take business from people who fail to value their customers and employees, so we make every attempt to show both groups the respect that they deserve.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
To be honest, this thread has inspired me.

Before I wrote out my schedule, I felt I did an okay amount of work. Not only that, I felt like I was running around all day working my a$$ off.

Looking at my schedule more carefully, however, I realize that's not the case.

I can feed my daughter one handed.
My son wakes up late.
I spend more time surfing the internet than I thought...
and my phone is really quite capable of getting things done.

Sure, I may only have a hour or so each day of totally uninterrupted time (which is usually used to take a shower), but I have plenty of time while I'm rocking my daughter in her bassinet, or playing fetch or watching a TV show with my son. My phone makes this all even easier. And when all else fails, an audio book works great as well. The times when I really need to work without distraction aren't many at this point, and having someone watch the kids is occasionally an option if necessary, as is working on a couple less hours of sleep a couple times a week as needed.

If I really think about it, I kinda feel like one of those 'parasites' MJ mentioned. Sure, I'm watching the kids, but my husband is supporting us all, working very long hours (he's not even coming home for two months, getting his butt kicked at Ranger School) while I'm playing around at home. If he can do what he does, the least I can do is do my best to make his life easier and help us all live a little bit more comfortable and live the lives that we want to have for ourselves and for our kids.

So, thanks for the motivation. This post is far too long, I'm going to try to get something done. Gotta work hard if I want to succeed.

Your main job, as a Mom... to me... is one of the most important jobs in the world. Hang in there.

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok

You're doing a lot more than you think, imo of course. You're playing a very important role in your family and you're making his life easier by being home and by being a mother. This will take the stress off of him and allow him to do what he does. I'm sure he didn't decide to be a Ranger because you weren't carrying your weight..he wanted to be a Ranger and you're allowing that to happen by taking care of the homefront.

You may want to do more but don't allow your ambitions to diminish what you're already contributing to your husbands and children's lives.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas

I agree, no parasite, no way.

My wife's job has been to take care of the the homestead and that gives me the freedom and peace of mind to go out and wage war. Without her part I couldn't do my part. We both take credit for our successes and failures. This is our business and our family.

You play a major role and I am sure your husband appreciates it.

Milkanic

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Apr 17, 2012
Madison, WI
5:59 wake up
6:15-7 workout
7-8 get ready for work
8:30-5:30 work, sneak in research and work on side business
6:15 get home, eat, play with dog.
8:00 -12 work on business or hang out with GF

uscgto

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jul 1, 2013
4:30 - wake up
4: 30 - 5 - workout
5 - 5:25 - get ready for work
5:25 - 5:45 - drive to work
5:45 - 4:30 - work
4:30 - 5:00 - drive back home
5 - 9:00 - play with my son

Brentnal

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Jan 23, 2013
Netherlands/Sidewalk
You got my compliments doing a good job you 're 25 now so your still young you read a whole lot of books so you should be ready to start something i think.

DarkZero

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Jun 29, 2013
I know you wanted to stimulate discussion, but you probably should've approached your opening post differently.

Instead you should have asked, "what can I do to make my day better? what can I eliminate? how can I make better use of my time?"

We all fall prey to the time sucking things, for me it's the web. And I like to blame other things interfering when I should've just buckled down and got my work done and ignored what was getting in the way.

You should be grateful, you are in a privileged position to gain traction to get in the fastlane. Maybe you don't have tons of money to start a huge business, but it doesn't mean you can't learn skills to help you on your road to the fastlane. You clearly have access to the internet and more free time than you think. You can take huge chunks of of your day to learn and do more. For now you have your parents taking care of you and without the financial and familial responsbilities that others have, you can use the time you have available to have fun (which you're clearly doing) and chase the fastlane.... just imagine if you devoted ALL your time to getting on the fastlane.

Go look at the days of young entrepeuners, like Allen Wong or Neil Patel. Patel lost a million dollars by the age of 21, using it to try and further his businesses. I wish I could just say I had something remotely close to that.

You can tell by the responses that there are many here who have to take care of their families and work their 9-5 to provide them while still using the few hours a day they get in order to get into the fastlane. I can tell you any of them would envy the amount of free time you have just to put their work into that and spend time with their families. That's why we're all here.

Astral Explorer

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Jun 28, 2013
1. Wakeup around 1-3pm
2. IMMEDIATELY, Check different forums, e-mail, blog, facebook page, youtube account
3. Spend 3 hours writing, researching, reading, etc
4. Take a break watching a film or surfing web for laughs
5. Around 8-9pm plan my night of partying
6. Come home between 5am to 9am
7. Get home checking different forums, e-mail, blog, facebook page, youtube account
8. Sleep between 4 to 10 hours depending on how drunk I am and/or how hyped up I am about "working"

I actually love my schedule although I need to fit in some fitness as I love contemporary dance and overall "functional" fitness.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
1. Wakeup around 1-3pm
2. IMMEDIATELY, Check different forums, e-mail, blog, facebook page, youtube account
7. Get home checking different forums, e-mail, blog, facebook page, youtube account
8. Sleep between 4 to 10 hours depending on how drunk I am and/or how hyped up I am about "working"

I actually love my schedule although I need to fit in some fitness as I love contemporary dance and overall "functional" fitness.

Thats nearly as epic as Omerta's day lol

InLikeFlint

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Nov 19, 2012
Michigan, USA

I think what you need to "fit in" is some actual time working on your business. Maybe come home a little earlier from the night life and go to sleep at a reasonable time, then wake up before most people are getting home from work and start your business then. After sleeping for 10 hours, you are in no position to take a break to watch a movie...

Apart from the writing and research there weren't many actions that screamed "entrepreneur" to me. You should work on this.

johnp

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Aug 29, 2011
Philly
Cool thread, I don't know how I didn't notice it. Here is the perfect forumla that I found formyself

5:15am - Wake up. Out of bed. Drink some protein because I don't usually like eating when I first wake up.
530am - Go to the gym. This is the perfect time to workout because the gym is empty.
630-7am - Home, get ready for work, eat.
730 am - drive to work
8-4am - Either work at my job or work at my startup at my job.
4pm - drive home from work and spend the next hour in the car
5pm - Make dinner for myself and my fiancee.
6-10pm - Work on the startup
11-12- bed.

On average I get 5-6 hours of sleep per night. I am not a morning person, but I have come to love waking up in the morning before everyone else is out of bed. It's a great way to start your day off with a successful mindset. And don't give me any of that we need 8 hours of sleep shit. I know sleep is important, but If you need that much then just sleep faster and harder. I'll sleep more after I 'make it'

vtlambo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Mar 10, 2012
1. Wakeup around 1-3pm

I guess this is the 'Pathetic Lane'.

arcola

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Feb 17, 2013
Los Angeles
I wake at 6am and sleep at midnight

My only rituals are getting in peak state, reading for 2 hours/notes 1 hour/review yesterdays notes 1 hour

Thats it, everything else, I just attack my wunderlist like Napoleon in 1797

Dutto

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Aug 29, 2012
Manchester, England
This may be true, but you're doing it on someone else's dime, so it's not exactly be something to be proud of. The good news is that when you're living this life because you've made it on your own, it will be a totally different story.

To answer the original question, I get up at 6:30 a.m., work out, shower, help get my gradeschooler ready for school/summer camp, go to that ol' slowlane job 8 to 4:30, come home, make dinner/housework, spend quality time with the husband and son, get the gradeschooler off to bed sometime around 10-ish, and work on my fastlane stuff from around 11 p.m. until 1 or 2 in the morning. I sleep five or six hours, then get up and do it again. Thank God for weekends.

I'll say one thing for the slowlane. Living it seems like a great way to fully appreciate fastlane success once it's earned.

To all you unattached, people without a mortgage and family to support. For heaven's sake, reach for the fastlane now, while you have the free time to make it happen, and still get some sleep. :)

God I feel bad after reading your schedule, I waste so much time, im getting back on it right now!

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
May 21, 2011
10-11am work
11-12pm work
12-1pm work
1-2pm work
2-3pm work
3-4pm work
4-5pm work
5-6pm work
6-7pm work
7-8pm work
8-9pm work
9-10pm work
10-11pm work
11-12am work
12-1am work
1am-10am sleep; thinking about work

(seriously)

Tom.V

Tom
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Feb 20, 2012
San Juan
Being in control of your own life has plenty of perks, but F*ck does it get mundane at times.

7-8am: Wakeup, shower, coffee, then off to the office (AKA studio)
9am-10am: Generally take care of any pertinent emails or tasks that need to be done. Communicating with outsourced workers is starting to take over this time period.
10am-12pm: Networking, calling strategic partners, or just random bits of work that need to be done.
12pm-6pm: Usually this is when I tackle most of the work that needs to be done (Today for example, I started on two sites for clients and tweaked a site for another in addition to some minor SEO work). This time is also used for meetings with potential partners/clients from time to time.
6pm-7pm: Review advertising campaigns(mine and clients), tweak as needed.
7pm-9pm: This is usually when my back starts hurting, energy starts failing, and I head to the girlfriends house to eat dinner.
10pm--: Read books until I fall asleep, generally around 12am.

Rinse and repeat.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.