The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What does your avatar mean?

rcdlopez

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Nov 12, 2012
Los Angeles
"Most of you don't want success as much as you want to sleep. I'm here to tell you that if you want success you got to be willing to give up sleep. You've got to be willing to work off of 3 hours of sleep, 2 hours of sleep. If you really want to be successful, sometimes you're going to have to stay up 3 days in a row. Because if you go to sleep you might miss the opportunity to be successful." - Eric Thomas

I've seen the video where Eric says that and for a time I thought it was good advice cuz after all... He's ma boiiii, Eric Thomas.

But now I think that is actually terrible advice. Sure you need to want success enough to go sleepless BUT you shouldn't deprive yourself of sleep because Entrepreneurship requires A LOT of mental endurance (ie will power) to put up with bullshit. Sleep and tranquility is the only thing that restores will power.

Your brain is after all, a muscle. A muscle that exerts will power. And just like working out your other muscles you need a period of stress (to break down the muscle) and a period of rest (to repair the muscle and make it stronger). In body building your goal is to reach muscle failure and then rest. If you work your muscles past failure you are not getting stronger you are simply wasting time and punishing yourself for nothing. Working out your brain is exactly the same I think.

When I feel stressed as shit to the point I want to slap all my customers in the face and shout absurdities at them , I usually take that as a sign that I have exerted my brain to its max. It's a sign that I did something I was uncomfortable with and after I sleep and meditate on what the F*ck just happened, my will power grows stronger. I am able to deal with the bullshit, and subsequent bullshit, better.

And just to prove it, go ahead and insult me! Watch how calm, cool, and collected I stay as I take your shit straight to ma face! My will power can bench press like 300lb baby!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
I've seen the video where Eric says that and for a time I thought it was good advice cuz after all... He's ma boiiii, Eric Thomas.
But now I think that is actually terrible advice. Sure you need to want success enough to go sleepless BUT you shouldn't deprive yourself of sleep because Entrepreneurship requires A LOT of mental endurance (ie will power) to put up with bullshit. Sleep and tranquility is the only thing that restores will power

I posted that quote in another thread recently and was challenged there as well. I disagree. I think you do what you have to do. It doesn't mean you do this everyday but when you're pressed up against finishing a task, a deadline, etc. I do agree we all need to take care of ourselves and be healthy.

See the following post and the responses after...
https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...g-only-4-hours-a-day.52129/page-2#post-360293

EDIT to add a short article regarding a quote from 50:

"I am not a 50 cent fan or follower or anything like that, but I came across this quote not too long ago and it spoke volumes to me, so I thought I would pass it on to all of you. The rapper 50 cent was on the set of his movie and at the same time, was recording the soundtrack for the movie. As a reporter boldly asked the rapper when he sleeps, 50 responded promptly “Sleep, sleep is for those people who are broke. I don’t sleep, I might miss the opportunity to make a dream become a reality.”

Obviously everyone sleeps at some point, and the fact that if you want to be successful you have to never go to sleep is not what this quote is saying. What 50 cent meant by this quote was not to never sleep, it was to say that in order to succeed and accomplish your dreams in life, you have to really work at it. People don’t become successful in the world by going to work from 9-5 everyday and coming home. When you start out at that low-level position you have to make sacrifices. You will never know when opportunity comes knocking, so you have to always be on the lookout. Very few get to the top of the world by sitting back and doing nothing, 99.9% of these extremely successful people in the world can tell you that it took an enormous amount of effort, and even though in the beginning it didn’t look so great, when you want to succeed as bad as you want to sleep, then you’ll be successful."

Source: http://arunmanikundalam.wordpress.c...ity-to-make-a-dream-become-a-reality-50-cent/

Last edited by a moderator:

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013
Uncertainty. Lack of focus.

If your contrast is too high, you can't see it, but the default TMF avatar has a question-mark in it. And that's where I am right now. In a big fookeen question mark.

That's not a sob though. My success is inevitable.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Carrots

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Apr 1, 2013
Texas
Represents the grind and the different things you need to have working together creating the process.

randomnumber314

speed of a drunk camel
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 7, 2014
Minnesoooota,USA
[Edited]
@randomnumber314 - your go now!

It's from a comic strip called Tunda by a guy named Chad Carpenter, pretty funny stuff. Anyway, this is me in a nutshell, when people first meet/see me they think I'm your average cowboy, once you get to know me I'm a goofball faking it like everyone else.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA

oddball

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Mar 8, 2011
Austin, TX
Who doesn't like Ari Gold? I also like his AP.
For those who can't read the quote, I know its small, it says "We're going to hell, so bring your sunblock."

Tiago

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Mar 22, 2014
Did a round the world trip last year. This was one of my favorite moments, appreciating fine whisky, gazing at Singapore's skyline and listening to Frank Sinatra's "I did it my way". I felt such a rush that moment, I wanted to conquer the world.

Windsurfer

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Jul 5, 2013
Minnesota
If you ain't fallin', you ain't improving..

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
Full blood Italian, that's what.

TBreezy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Feb 20, 2014
MA
Ever see the movie in time? If you haven't , please do. Even if you don't like it , you will at least get one thing great out of it , and thats gratitude. Everyone has spurts of gratitude , but its so important to be thankful for the limited of time we all have.

My avatar reminds me of how grateful i am for the time i have. I've been through a lot , but if i didn't , i know i wouldn't be half as grateful as i am.

I hope you all either have , or are in the process of receiving as much gratitude as i have. Because if life shows you how bad it can beat you up , loosing what you care about most - people or things you took for granted , life will truly make you wish you didn't.

That green glow on his arm is time. In the future time is currency.If you don't spend it wisely , you die. But thats basically accurate now. Without money , you don't get to choose how you spend your time. This is my motive for success , its what wakes me up in a sweat in the middle of every night - what wakes me up every morning.

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012

HerpMogul

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Oct 23, 2013
Locationless
Keepin it real. Just me showing my son snakes at a reptile show. My friend had this group for sale for 8k. He sold them for 12k. He paid $225 and waited 2 years.

Letting him know early, there's a million different ways to get where you want. ..

lol oh yea that's where my name comes from.. Herp is reptile terminology. My passion.

Tony Nguyen

Action is the foundational key to all success.
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Mar 21, 2014
plain and simple just me.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
I used to have my kids. They were my whole life. Now its me. Because I have done what I needed to do and now its time to focus on me and my goals for once ;)

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

All In

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
248%
Jan 24, 2014
CA, FL, and VA
My first job out of college was at a defense contractor in Texas. I ended up doing a large portion of my work with a co-worker who also shared the Fastlane mentality. As we dredged away in our windowless abyss of an office complex, we entertained ourselves with jokes, memes, and funny pictures, mostly over instant messaging. The Sloth Astronaut picture (created by Pedro Dionísio) became a favorite between us. While funny at first glance, it evolved over time to represent something much more to us. It was a slightly comedic symbol that reminded us that even though we had distaste for our current respective life situations, our work, and our lack of freedom, it didn't matter in the moment. Because we were on a mission. Two fresh college graduates sold the Slowlane life path (sloths), were determined to break free into the Fastlane (outer space!) We recognized that we had to be doing what we were doing at that time in our lives while we worked on our improvement outside of our day jobs, and the Slothstronaut became a reminder to us both to stay the course.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Hmm----Well it kind reminds me of a warrior, but mixed with computers. Illusions in the world. I wrote a poem with this pic. Just liked it! :)

Temporal Flux

Blue ice eyes stare through his soul

Quiet nonverbal cues

Senses picking up on the voice

Listen carefully to the dream

Glimpses of light in the darkness

Flashes of strobe lights

The quest for the truth

Illusions, mirrors show the inner depths of the soul

Keywords mixing with perceptions of reality

Stretching the taste of liquid poison

Lips that kiss with deceit

Shadows of the darkness clash with light

Blue ice eyes freeze the snap shot

Focus in on the misconceptions

Misunderstandings of the mind

Everything flipped by a stream of the light

Angled just right

Reflections of the self

Transpired with inner irrelevance

Shoot off the projector

Stories created

Fantasy turns to fiction

Reality mainstream

The hearts damaged

Breaking down into compartments

Delete the past memory

Erase the pain

Suffer less

Back away from the imaginary world

Of corruption and crime

Games of the mind

Trickery of words

Trickery of sight

Trickery of sound

Blue ice eyes zeroing in on the target

What do you feel in the ice blue light?

What do you taste in the liquid blue sea

Of dreams.

Headphones on with techno beats

Space and time

There is no time

Space is where she flies

Dialing numbers on the key pad

Sequence of silver streams from her eyes

His breath radio active

Nuclear waste hidden in his eyes

Radiation explodes in the night sky

Illumination of two souls that collide.

Copyrighted.com 2014 H.M.M.S.

Vote4cake

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Dec 28, 2013
Arlington, VA
What it means to others: A cover art for the 7" vinyl 3-way split with The Cannanes, Mytty Archer, and Boyracer

What it means to me: Innovation

Like AllenCrawley, I'll put my image here ('cause I change my avatars every couple of months):

cwn.gif

DurianGray

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
May 13, 2014
Mines is Oscar Wilde - my favorite poet, playwright. and author. A real bad a$$.

He has some of the best quotes ever and he deeply influenced me in highschool with his sharp wit and bohemian style.

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars"
- No matter how times I fail, or how hopeless and bleak things look, I'm not gonna give up.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.