The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What book are you reading? Right now. Post up!

fastlane_dad

8 Figure Fastlane Graduate
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
636%
Jun 20, 2017
Scottsdale, AZ
I enjoyed that book. Loved the concept of the "memory dividend" that experiences pay. Gave me a different perspective on the cost of experiences. Suddenly things that cost thousands seemed cheap when I thought about the joy they provided not just in the moment but for the months and years after.
Currently listening to Die with Zero and getting the realisation that I need to be enjoying my life more while I'm still young.

Some experiences can only be made while you're young and healthy.

Die With Zero is definitely a book that 'sits' with you and in your subconscious long after you set it down.

At first I didn't think much of it. Surely no one NEEDS help or encouragement to spend extra money --- or DO THEY?

As time goes on, (and you get closer to the end), you start pondering more and more what your life will entail, and the ratio of memories given to your family / friends VS money left over in your bank account takes root. Other philosophical questions pop up along the way as well, that need to be framed and help you release some of the tightly wound views many of us hold around the purpose of making and spending money.

Overall a great topic to ponder and debate, especially as one climbs the fastlane ladder.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
Lacan for Beginners

“So fantasy operates to keep desire roughly constant, to protect it from too much variation. Having your object of desire too far away is one problem: having it too close is another. Sometimes, when the object of desire has been too close, or present for too long, desire can begin to flag. Witness the fading of sexual interest that lovers often have in each other after years together. Desire in these cases can be maintained via fantasy.”

"Psychoanalysis should be the science of language, inhabited by the subject... man is the subject captured and tortured by language."

"In the spirit of Socrates, Lacan said that a psychoanalyst has no special knowledge to give his patients. And like Socrates, a psychoanalyst can provide a special kind of logical questioning that can help the person being questioned find some truth about themselves."

“So, because of the diversity of human life and language, there never could be a diagnostic dictionary of fixed meanings for psychoanalysis as there is for medicine, where meanings are far more fixed.”

the pictures are from the book:

1668558374125.png

1668558382142.png

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
414g1BUSPxL.jpg

I didn't expect much as the second book after a first-time big bestseller is always worse.

This was much worse than Can't Hurt Me. I read it throughout the day because I'm sick but otherwise it's a struggle to read.

He jumps from one story to another, talks about the same stuff he talked in the first book. And paradoxically, despite this being closer to a "how-to" book it's way less practical than his autobiography. I think I remember maybe one practical tip from this book, the rest is just your typical Goggins speak.

Other than that, in this book David shows that he hasn't really learned much when it comes to irresponsible challenges. Still signing up for races when he can't even walk, still doing so little preparation he's practicing key stuff on the day of the race, still competing when he's half-dead, etc.

This, plus some really f*cked up behaviors like hiding his heart was malfunctioning so his girlfriend could enjoy Christmas. The next day, when he couldn't hide it anymore, they had to restart his heart in the hospital. So the guy was literally one step from dying but instead of going immediately to the hospital, he didn't want to ruin the Christmas for his gf. As if him dying wouldn't ruin it more.

I don't get this guy anymore. I thought I understood him better after listening to literally dozens of hours of podcasts with him.

If anything, this book only made it clear for me how much I would NOT want to be like him. I may agree with some of his views but overall, his life would be a nightmare for me. It has to be such a struggle to think that world is a f*cked up place and each day is a battle.

I'm glad it's working out for him but it's really, really messed up nonetheless.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I don't get this guy anymore. I thought I understood him better after listening to literally dozens of hours of podcasts with him.

I thought you loved the guy.

I think he has a mental illness and his lifestyle clearly is a response to childhood trauma. And people around here worship him like he walks on water. I usually just keep my mouth shut on the incessant hero worship. Being in the hospital countless times because of your stupid decisions is not something to be proud of. But this guy gets insane props for basically, well, being insane.

Wim Hof is a much better role model and shows you can be tough as nails, but not lose the big picture.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
I thought you loved the guy.

I've had an "ups and downs" relationship with him. I had a period when I naively adored him (his lone wolf style appeals to me) and a period when I was very much against him (when I ruined my health after following his advice).

Now I see some value in a few of his teachings, and that's it. As for the rest, I agree with your assessment.

I've observed that people who are his most loyal zealots all have the same broken background. Because they never met anyone who would offer them empathy and love, they create a survival mechanism that the world is always out to get you and you need to stay hard all the time.

I've studied a few guys similar to Goggins. It's so clear that these guys underneath are extremely broken. But they'll hide behind their work ethic, discipline, and manliness until they kill themselves. You can't ever break the image of a tough guy.

Wim Hof is a much better role model and shows you can be tough as nails, but not lose the big picture.

I can't treat him seriously. He's obese and doesn't look very healthy. You'd imagine he would not have a bulging belly if he were so health-oriented.

I've also read he abandoned some of his students when they were hiking up Kilimanjaro. Not a guy I would trust with my life.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I can't treat him seriously. He's obese and doesn't look very healthy. You'd imagine he would not have a bulging belly if he were so health-oriented.

I've also read he abandoned some of his students when they were hiking up Kilimanjaro. Not a guy I would trust with my life.

New development? I haven't followed his latest excursions, just from what I know about his book from some years ago. Sad to hear that he sounds like he took a negative turn too.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
New development? I haven't followed his latest excursions, just from what I know about his book from some years ago. Sad to hear that he sounds like he took a negative turn too.

The Kilimanjaro story is an old one. I think it was recounted in Scott Carney's book but I'm not sure. Wim was portrayed as a grumpy man who didn't tolerate weakness.

As for his belly, just one look at his Instagram:

Of course, age plays a role but that's not how a role model of health should look.

Rafael Gervásio

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Dec 27, 2020
I've got a stack of books by my bed that I'm working through:

Awaken the Giant Within - Tony Robbins (read it before, but recently started reading it again).

An Introduction to Psychology (can't remember by whom, but its the university type handbooks, so it often succeeds in putting me asleep - the theory bits that is).

How life imitates chess - Gary Kasparov (I'm about halfway through this one - was wondering how to become great in chess/life, and this book seemed like a fit).

Successfull Interpersonal Communication - Another handbook (still to start reading it).

How to have kick-a$$ ideas - Chris Barez-Brown. (I'm about 75% through this book, and so far I think it is a great book. It has great exercises, lots of pictures/drawing that makes it an easy read, and is immensely useful in coming up with creative ideas to make the most of your opportunities (a rephrase from 'problems' :)).

Your idea can make you rich - Its from the guys who run the Dragon's Den. So far I'm not really impressed as it feels like the 'same-old' entrepreneur advice in a million other books, but I'm not done reading it completely yet, so I might still change my opinion.

The Complete Guide to Flipping Properties - Steve Burgess (I'm still to start reading this one though - I bought it thinking it would be specific to the UK market, but it isnt, so I'll read it further into the future).

Thats it for my currently reading/unread stack next to my bed.

What are you reading?
Currently reading: “Reality Transurfing
It’s one of those mind boggling books.

Iman Gadzhi (super successful entrepreneur, you’ve probably heard of him) said this book was his bible.

So I decided to give it a try. It’s really good!
Super happy I picked it up.

Btw, I love chess! I’m over 1600 rapid on chess.com.
I’ve never read “How life imitates chess”,
but it seems like a great read.

Best of luck of your entrepreneurship and chess journey!

Best

starttoday123

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Jan 7, 2022
USA
If anything, this book only made it clear for me how much I would NOT want to be like him. I may agree with some of his views but overall, his life would be a nightmare for me. It has to be such a struggle to think that world is a f*cked up place and each day is a battle.

I'm glad it's working out for him but it's really, really messed up nonetheless.
This forum never disappoints because of discussions like this. I hadn’t thought about it this way, but now I realize I’ve always had a sense his content is too unhealthily focused on being an individual by his extreme pursuits than he is focused on the much healthier option of being part of a community, and walking through life with others. At least his first book. Wim hof seems to be more focused on community

mikecarlooch

Apprentice & Student Of The Game
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
This forum never disappoints because of discussions like this. I hadn’t thought about it this way, but now I realize I’ve always had a sense his content is too unhealthily focused on being an individual by his extreme pursuits than he is focused on the much healthier option of being part of a community, and walking through life with others. At least his first book. Wim hof seems to be more focused on community
It’s also not healthy at all to put THAT much stress on the body, or at least as much as he claims to

andyhaus44

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
May 17, 2017
St. Charles, MO
How to break up with your phone by Catherine Price and it's good, would recommend it. As a result of reading it, I now go on "Phasts", which is fasting from your phone. Also organized all of my phone apps into folders and its 1 page now instead of 3

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
It’s also not healthy at all to put THAT much stress on the body, or at least as much as he claims to

If you thought he was putting a lot of stress on his body when doing stuff described in his first book, that was nothing compared to what he's doing now that he's older.

For example, he abused his knees so much that he couldn't walk anymore. There were like 14 things wrong just with one knee. The doctor said he had the knees of a 90-year old.

Long story short, he found a doctor who did some kind of a crazy surgery where he cut a part of his shin and put a metal piece or something like that.

And what did Goggins do? Instead of slowly recovering and appreciating he can walk again, he signed up for a 444-mile bike ride 13 weeks after the surgery. And he's so proud that nobody else would do it but him.

Of course nobody would do it because it's dumb as F*ck. It's as if you were proud that you provoked a grizzly bear.

The guy seems hellbent on destroying his body. It's only a matter of time before he can't walk anymore, if he doesn't kill himself earlier.

I can understand the enjoyment and self-improvement from pushing your limits but there has to be some thought for the future. He doesn't seem to have any.

Last edited:

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011

In the first book he was actually much more positive about this and even admitted he was a bad leader.

In this one, barring one or two little stories, it's all about him. It doesn't even feel as if you, the reader, are important to him.

I read a lot of autobiographies and memoirs. Even though by default they're focused on the author, you as the reader feel like a part of the journey.

Here I didn't get this feeling. You can tell that the guy really doesn't give a F*ck about people other than his girlfriend/wife and his mother. Other people are just tools for his goals.

Even when he becomes a wildland firefighter, it's not about the environment or his team. It's all about his own suffering. He doesn't talk about it in any other way than how good it is because of how much it sucks.

It's really interesting how this book changed my view of him so much. I imagine he must be really unlikable in real life.

Last edited:

Actionfaker

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Jul 12, 2020
NL
I hope you're feeling better MTF, wish I hadn't pre-ordered the new book reading this lol.

Personally, I really loved Can't Hurt Me and it was a big part of the motivation that led me to set a goal to run 100 miles in 24 hours this year (haven't succeeded yet, but that's another story). I understand the criticism of the person and thought MJ's review was hilarious, but don't really see it that way myself, maybe because I've been done having heroes for a long time: I can both acknowledge there's a lot I can learn from him about mental toughness, and that he's often been and keeps being a total dumbass. Atm I'm pushing myself like 1% as much tops as Goggins is I'd say, rarely going hard enough to hurt my toes, so I don't really see the point about worrying about breaking my legs or going too hard.
Maybe people would have preferred him to get his act together before writing the book(s), or adding more disclaimers about not trying this at home -I thought there were a few- if he's set on continuing to be a dumbass, but I do respect how he seems to have completely discovered, owned and accepted who he is; as hard as it might be for his loved ones and as much as you keep thinking 'just keep doing hard things but have some common sense'.
Interesting to see you say he must be an a**hole irl after the new book, curious to see if the content is a lot different from the other books/podcasts.

Thank you for all the great book recommendations btw! For those who don't know, there's a ton on The Best Books for Men Who Want to Become Better and MTF's newsletter. I've been reading a lot about running, and thanks to Antifragile too, decided why not check out the Big Book of Endurance too after he recommended that in basically every thread, and got a lot out of that too.

For those who like the topic, but can't get around Goggins being Goggins, perhaps Finding Ultra by Rich Roll is a book you'll enjoy: he didn't have the worst childhood, seemed to have all he needed to succeed in life, completely messed up with alcoholism -going to kill himself if he went on like that, as you could say about Goggins now- and then got sober and started completely crushing health and fitness with a plant-based diet and ultra-endurance events.

Along the same lines, I'd also recommend Ultramarathon Man, Eat & Run and The Plantpower Way (I also really love food and nutrition).

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
I hope you're feeling better MTF, wish I hadn't pre-ordered the new book reading this lol.

Well it's only my opinion. You may have different feelings reading this book and I wouldn't want to discourage anyone from reading it if they're interested in Goggins.

Maybe people would have preferred him to get his act together before writing the book(s), or adding more disclaimers about not trying this at home -I thought there were a few- if he's set on continuing to be a dumbass, but I do respect how he seems to have completely discovered, owned and accepted who he is; as hard as it might be for his loved ones and as much as you keep thinking 'just keep doing hard things but have some common sense'.

I respect him following his own path. Everyone is free to follow their path, even if it's self-destructive.

His book just made me realize, after all the years semi-worshipping the guy (at the worst moment of my fascination), that he's more of an anti role model for me than an inspiration.

I can't imagine a life where you're maniacally going from one physical challenge to another, from one emergency room to another, dealing with more and more injuries, all in the name of being as hard as possible.

This book describes it to the extreme. He literally ends one race only to have a complete breakdown of his body, pissing, shitting, bleeding all over the place. Then he recovers a little, they fly home and he finds another race to do it again. He finishes it but he's already looking for the next one. It's textbook compulsive behavior.

Interesting to see you say he must be an a**hole irl after the new book, curious to see if the content is a lot different from the other books/podcasts.

The book feels like a long-winded talk and stories, almost as if you asked AI to write a book using Goggins style. I got lost at times because he could be writing about running an ultramarathon only to switch to talking about stuttering in the next paragraph.

I didn't say he must be an a**hole but must be really unlikable. I conclude this based on his disregard of other people. He does compliment his girlfriend a lot and is definitely very close to her. He also loves his mother.

Other than that, if there are any people mentioned throughout the book he often doesn't even use their names but gives some nicknames. There's no description of them, no conversations, nothing.

I'd imagine he would be unlikable also because he sees everyone as an enemy to beat.

If he's anywhere with other people, they're all "motherfuckers" he wants to beat. There's no team spirit or collaboration. For him it's all a battle.

If he has a team of pacers, he competes with his pacers until they're pissed off. If he's training to be a firefighter, he's doing his best to "show the young guys" he still got it.

I definitely wouldn't enjoy being around such a person.

Thank you for all the great book recommendations btw! For those who don't know, there's a ton on The Best Books for Men Who Want to Become Better and MTF's newsletter. I've been reading a lot about running, and thanks to Antifragile too, decided why not check out the Big Book of Endurance too after he recommended that in basically every thread, and got a lot out of that too.

Thanks for linking to that.

For those who like the topic, but can't get around Goggins being Goggins, perhaps Finding Ultra by Rich Roll is a book you'll enjoy: he didn't have the worst childhood, seemed to have all he needed to succeed in life, completely messed up with alcoholism -going to kill himself if he went on like that, as you could say about Goggins now- and then got sober and started completely crushing health and fitness with a plant-based diet and ultra-endurance events.

Michele Graglia's book Ultra is really nice. The guy runs because he loves it and seems like a cool dude. He won Moab 240 where Goggins was second.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
What do you mean he abandoned them? I'm genuinely asking because I haven't heard the story. Does that mean that they couldn't go on, for whatever reason, and he said "down you go boys, you're not coming with us" or he abandoned them as in he left them in a dangerous situation to retreat to safety for himself?

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
What do you mean he abandoned them? I'm genuinely asking because I haven't heard the story. Does that mean that they couldn't go on, for whatever reason, and he said "down you go boys, you're not coming with us" or he abandoned them as in he left them in a dangerous situation to retreat to safety for himself?

The story is told in the chapter titled Kilimanjaro in this book: What Doesn't Kill Us: the bestselling guide to transforming your body by unlocking your lost evolutionary strength - Kindle edition by Carney, Scott, Hof, Wim. Politics & Social Sciences Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

There was pretty much a mutiny during the hike because Hof was a terrible leader who ignored when his students were struggling and/or needed more rest.

A few quotes (the story is much longer):

Hof is an almost impossible figure to dissect. On one hand he has something special—physical and mental abilities that seem to open the door to untold reservoirs of strength. He is a prophet whose message is spreading across the world in viral videos and scientific journals. He is a man whose love for all things human seems to know no bounds. He is also a madman who can be so solipsistically focused on his own abilities that he lacks the empathy to see limits in other people. When he abandons the group in search of a record, or when he delves into a 45-minute speech on how the cold and breathing can bring him deep into his own physiology, Hof can fall into such a fit of self-centeredness that there isn’t space for anything else. At sea level, or in a temperate zone, it’s a personality foible that is easy enough to overlook. But those qualities can turn dangerous on a mountain where the lives of almost 30 people hang in the balance. So when the group leaves that morning in a line that is two people shorter than it was the previous morning, I wonder: Am I following Hof the prophet, or Hof the madman?

Hof lies back on one of the tables and closes his eyes. They roll back in his sockets and flutter. He turns red and when he opens his eyes he is once again bursting with energy. One of the problems with following someone with superpowers is that my body doesn’t obey the same rules of rest and recovery that his does. And now that we’re close to the summit his mind is focused only on setting a record.

Everyone else is recovering and waiting for a hot lunch that we’d been told was on the way. Hof checks the time. It’s 11:40. Then he shouts, “Okay, everyone. We go in twenty minutes. We’re not on the mountain because we want to eat. We’re here to make the summit.” The message lands flat in a room full of confused faces. I’m not the only one to mutter an obscenity. Sensing insubordination, Hof revises his message 3 minutes later. “Never mind rest,” he says. “We go now and make a new record!” He launches himself out of the room and walks down the wide path between Kibo’s humble buildings and into a collection of mountain guides. Mike Nelson, the guide who helped retrieve Mallory’s effects off Everest, tries to block Hof’s path.

“You can’t go now,” he tries to command Hof. But the gnome-like leader of our expedition simply brushes past him. He heads up the mountain towing two Belgian ladies who had come on the trip to enhance their corporate leadership skills. I watch the movement of his neon orange shoes from the doorway while trying to decide whether I have a duty to follow the leader or if I should participate in what seems like a well-justified mutiny. I watch him grow smaller on the mountain. About a third of a mile from the camp he turns and starts yelling something. I can’t decipher his words. It could be a last ditch effort to restore morale. It might just be a string of insults.

I’m pissed. This is not the trip that I signed up for, and my faith in Hof is quickly dwindling to a low point.

The Belgian ladies have turned their backs on Hof. He’s all alone, standing in his shorts and blanket a few hundred meters above us. “Why not give us another hour?” I yell up the mountain. “Even the guides won’t follow you.” Perhaps the wind eats my words and sends them down the mountain, but Hof hears them as an insult.

“Don’t you dare challenge me, Scott!” he roars back with the wind howling an angry chorus.

“How do I know that if I follow you that you won’t leave me behind on the mountain like you have everyone else on this trip?” These words seem to reach him. Alone on a ledge above me there’s a realization going on. Yes, he can make the summit, but is it worth it if no one follows? It takes a while. Maybe 15 seconds. Maybe a minute. But he calls back, his voice softer.

“I won’t leave you.” He waits another beat. “I promise.”

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
Currently reading: “Reality Transurfing
That's too New Agey for my tastes. Law of attraction stuff basically, with a new "spin".

This, plus some really f*cked up behaviors like hiding his heart was malfunctioning so his girlfriend could enjoy Christmas. The next day, when he couldn't hide it anymore, they had to restart his heart in the hospital. So the guy was literally one step from dying but instead of going immediately to the hospital, he didn't want to ruin the Christmas for his gf. As if him dying wouldn't ruin it more.
Wow... what a caring, strong boyfriend (some women would say)! Doesn't surprise me he has appeal despite his extreme lifestyle.

I will read his new book, hadn't heard of it until now.

I think what Goggins did is that he found a way to shorten the timeframe he focuses on, and reward himself for reaching painful goals. So for him, the pain is the reward - like for a masochist. So that association between pain and reward makes him able to keep going far far far more than others are capable of.

I do agree however that being like that is self-destructive.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
The story is told in the chapter titled Kilimanjaro in this book: What Doesn't Kill Us: the bestselling guide to transforming your body by unlocking your lost evolutionary strength - Kindle edition by Carney, Scott, Hof, Wim. Politics & Social Sciences Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

There was pretty much a mutiny during the hike because Hof was a terrible leader who ignored when his students were struggling and/or needed more rest.

A few quotes (the story is much longer):
Very intersting story, it's just made me decide to buy the book. Really appreciate the write up brother!

Hof is an interesting character to say the least. But imo his modus operandi is very very different from Goggins.

Goggins is about pushing himself, Hof is more about befriending himself and drawing that strength from the inside, cooperatively, rather than by force.

They are both clearly very ambitious about what they do, but their approach is totally different.

Imo, push comes to shove, in a competition against each other, I'd almost always put my money on Goggins. Don't get me wrong, Hof does seemingly supernatural feats for an untrained human, but his level of athleticism isn't anywhere near that of Goggins. Running 100 miles, for example, Goggins would win every time.

David Fitz

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 30, 2020
Ireland
I'm just listening to Goggins new book, I enjoyed Can't Hurt Me because it was so different to all those other self help same ol ding dong books.

His new book is pretty much the same but I do like the part where he made a mix tape of all his haters comments and he listens to it for motivation

I've just recently read Personality isn't Permanent and that's a great book too along with Die With Zero.

The books on MJs reading list are top notch.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
I think he has a mental illness and his lifestyle clearly is a response to childhood trauma.

He has unresolved childhood trauma, unresolved oedipal complex, unresolved id-ego conflict, never overcame infantile narcissism and wasn't nurtured correctly. :rofl:

Last edited:

Mario_fastlaner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Mar 1, 2019
Milano
Off-topic, but I recently beat this year's goal of reading three books this year. Those books are The Comfort Crisis, Make it stick, and Leading an Inspired Life. A very small amount. However, I noticed in the past few years when I set a high number like 10-15 books. I'd read 10-15 books, but only for the sake of reaching that number. I wouldn't take action after reading those books. I'd read them for the sake of... well reading.

I've since changed and am focused on reading books, applying what I'm learning when I'm in the middle of reading a book and after reading the book.

This is just one of those "small wins".

Keep learning, keep growing, and keep becoming the better versions of yourself!

View attachment 42771
thoughts on the comfort crisis?

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
thoughts on the comfort crisis?
Enjoyed it and recommend the reading. But the main premise is to get out there, challenge yourself, and grow. Understand that a lot of times growth will come in uncomfortable situations. Learn to be okay with that.

SleazyDan69420

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jan 7, 2023
  1. Millionaire Fastlane - Halfway through
  2. A book on practical logic
  3. an introductory book on epistemology.
I like reading self help books, don't get me wrong. Hell, i've read unlimited power twice because it has good exercises for goal setting. But too many authors think that by making a simplistic bold statement they're giving valuable life advice when they're not. Sure, don't waffle on for 20 pages on why you should try to be a person of value, but whenever you say something should be the case you need to give justification. Part of the problem with smart people is they can't just take stuff on faith, because they're critical thinkers. They need good argumentation as to why they should do something.

Also, a lot of self-help books conflict, so what you get is a bunch of generic advice that mixes in this soup of relativism where for every piece of advice there's another piece of advice that cancels it out. By giving good arguments for stuff and having other people attack your arguments, you move beyond the initial relativism because the bad advise dies off. It's good for your average working Joe for whom "write goals fatass" and "don't give a F*ck just keep on trucking" is what they're getting instead of just another staring at the telivision, but too many are obvious fastlane vehicles speedily written to make a buck.

Robert Greene's books are a good example of decent quality self help. Every one of his books is a concept from the humanities, and he give examples and source for why something is the case. Personally, whenever I read self help I feel lazy because I know I could be reading something of better quality ( why read a pop psychology book when you can actually read a book on psychology? same thing for documentaries, why not watch uni lectures instead?)

Chrisrod2597

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Feb 3, 2022
The Lean start up by Eric Reis and The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Jan 2, 2023
I'm currently reading

Hard Times Create Strong Men: Why the World Craves Leadership and How You Can Step Up to Fill the Need​

from De Marco little known extremely valuable books collection.

This book speaks uncomfortable truths about masculinity, entrepeneurship, politics and women.

Stuff you would never hear from tv and main stream media.

It'll probably go against some beliefs you have.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.