The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Website/blog idea posting videos/photos/articles

Idea threads

MSB

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 14, 2012
I have had an idea to start a website which would post videos/photos/articles in a specific niche and was wondering if anyone here has experience with building a content based niche site. I know it is a large undertaking and I will need to produce a massive amount of content, but as a graphic designer/web developer/marketer I will be able to handle almost everything on the technical and design side myself. It is a niche I am very familiar with and am interested in, which for me I feel will be key in staying active on it.

I was wondering if anyone has any tips/advice for making a site like this, and obviously monetization is further down the road but I would imagine it would be ads, possibly sponsored posts and even products/merchandise.

Thanks

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

PranayaG

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Jan 26, 2014
New York
Just be prepared for what you are signing up for becuase the battle will be long, extraneous, and hard before you see any significant results.

I am not saying this to discourage you but to make sure you plan properly and have realistic expectations.

These days, content production only gets you know where. Do you have a solid strategy to get the eyeballs? How are you planning on
a)attracting visitors (the biggest challenge)
b)capturing them and
c)converting them (monetizing them) ?

Before you end up wasting too much of your time heading in the wrong direction - just make sure you have at least a rough idea of a goal and a vaguish roadmap to get there. If you are going to do it, focus 20% of your time on production and 80% in marketing/outreach, especially in the beginning.

MSB

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 14, 2012
Thanks, I would be using WordPress. Like I said, I can build and design extremely high end functional websites so I agree the challenge is more going to be getting traffic/visitors.

Durete

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Mar 16, 2012
I own a self-hosted wordpress site which I set up as a static site and have "Articles" instead of a "blog"

I could not spend much time marketing, as my normal day to day job is working on a cruise ship without solid internet access.

My stats so far:
Last 30 Days (Month):4023,728
Last 365 Days (Year):5,619114,368

The first number is visitors the second visits.

Most of them are hacking attempts.

Hours spend on this site: Hundreds.
newsletter subscribers: 0
Money made with affiliate products: $0
Months hosting this website: 5

Again I cannot do enough marketing to drive enough traffic to it, and even while I follow all the copywriting rules, that I learned from reading several copywriting books and from copyblogger. I do not make $1 of the site.
While it did cost me around $300 to set it up. (Hosting for 2 years, Domain)

To make money with a blog, you'll need to spend hours on social media marketing your site, every single day, or spend $$$$ to hire someone to do that.

Automation is possible to some extent, but most automation programs are not good enough to justify not doing it manually.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.